2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

"Lag" my first step for powerful swing progression

chipa

I'm a 15 h.c. that recently took up golf again a year and a half ago and this time around I've decided to analize my swing as well as others in order to progress. I'm 55 5'6" and swing over 110 mph when I have good form.

I would say from my observation of my progression and a couple of friends learning golf that lag is the most important thing to learn in order to earn to swing at one's potential.

In my case lag for me means the feeling of a dynamic resistance to rotational forces felt "between" the arms as opposed to "with" the arms because I need to feel the hands and arms working against eachother in order to sense "lag". More specifically "lag" is felt with the right hand and arm and I associate it with getting the right elbow in front of the hand for a throwing action. Lag per my description is the same feeling one has throwing a ball, a certain amount of resistance in the arm that needs to be overcome. Someone who tries to throw a ball with the hand in front of the elbow would not be able to feel this resistance or "lag".

Therefore, lag is important because it can lead one to good right arm and hand mechanics, which imo is an essential method of reaching one's maximum potential in terms of clubhead speed.

In my personal case, when I have poor takeaway mechanics I will regrip the club with either hand at the top in order to get my right hand and arm in the correct position so that I can swing powerfully through the ball. This is not a good technique for sure but demonstrates that by learning to feel lag I have learned to correctly position my right arm and hand regardless of takeaway mechanics. When I do get the correct setup and takeaway mechanics I have no need to regrip and can swing from the top practically as hard as I want and hit the ball straight.

I hope my insight can help others trying to learn to reach their maximum potential.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

2 minutes ago, golfer07840 said:

that sound I hear is the sound of Monte's heading exploding...😂

I'm not really a Monte follower but just in case lag doesn't have to mean "handle dragging".

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

3 minutes ago, cwilk said:

image.gif

Hey it's just my perception. I have swung in the high 120's when I was in my 30's.

Edited by chipa

Notes:

4 minutes ago, chipa said:

Hey it's just my perception. I have swung in the high 120's when I was in my 30's.

Really?  I don't think measuring clubhead speed was that common 25-35 years ago.  And you would of been swinging faster than the PGA players at that time.  I know it's the internet and all.  But calling BS.  

• Like 4

Just now, wagolfer7 said:

Really?  I don't think measuring clubhead speed was that common 25-35 years ago.  And you would of been swinging faster than the PGA players at that time.  I know it's the internet and all.  But calling BS.  

According to my Beltronics Swing Mate manual it was printed in 1992. I had my golf swing measured at Edwin Watts I believe in Fayetteville NC in 1996. See my swing speed a couple of weeks ago with my 41.5" 5 wood steel shaft.

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-06 at 6.55.38 PM.jpeg

• Like 1

Notes:

13 minutes ago, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

Three words:

Feel versus real

Are you saying I'm not really feeling lag or that the right arm and hand mechanics aren't essential to a powerful swing?

Notes:

5 minutes ago, chipa said:

According to my Beltronics Swing Mate manual it was printed in 1992. I had my golf swing measured at Edwin Watts I believe in Fayetteville NC in 1996. See my swing speed a couple of weeks ago with my 41.5" 5 wood steel shaft.

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-06 at 6.55.38 PM.jpeg

Show a video on you swinging with a device from at least 2010 or newer and I might change my belief.  At 5'6" you would have to have an incredible swing to generate high 120's.  JT doesn't even get that today.  

Or you just swinging with no ball and just trying to register high speeds.  And that's not golf.  Either way these claims are very hard to believe.    

• Like 2

Troll

• Like 2

Ping 410 LST *9 (+1), HZRDUS Smoke Black 60R

Ping G *14.5 (+1), Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *20, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *23, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Adams XTD Forged 5-GW, Recoil 780 es F4

Vokey SM7 *56.14 F, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Vokey SM7 *60.12 D, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Ping Anser 2 Karsten TR, KBS CT Tour Black PVD

There is nothing the matter with viewing “lag” in a positive way, but you need to appreciate that just like the elbow leading the hand when you throw a ball , lag is created via the hands/ clubhead lagging the body. The vast majority of top players start their lower body moving down as the hands / arms  are still winding up.By doing so , there is no need to even think about retaining or holding the lag; on the contrary the issue for these players is to release the lag that they created.

Now how did these top players develop their technique for creating lag. Most started playing  at a young age when their hands and wrists were not developed. The weight of the clubhead relative to their hand/ wrist strength was much height than for adults. When they tried to swing hard , it was inevitable that the relatively heavy clubhead would lag behind.

To develop lag as an adult try these two drills.Neither involves trying to hold the lag.

Duct tape a lacrosse ball onto the bottom of an old driver and make  practice swings. The purpose of this drill is not to develop swing speed , but to simulate the feeling that young players have and force yourself to start down with your lower body as the clubhead lags behind.

The second drill is on youtube

”Scott Stallings shares  drill for IMPACT LAG”.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wagolfer7 said:

Show a video on you swinging with a device from at least 2010 or newer and I might change my belief.  At 5'6" you would have to have an incredible swing to generate high 120's.  JT doesn't even get that today.  

Or you just swinging with no ball and just trying to register high speeds.  And that's not golf.  Either way these claims are very hard to believe.    

I didn't say that I can now swing in the 120's, that 114 mph with he 5 wood was just a good swing. BTW, as you should be able to see it was at the range for the divots.

Here is a video at my home course. My form was not my best. I did not take my radar that day.

Notes:

26 minutes ago, wagolfer7 said:

When I was measured for swing speed Eli Callaway was still in the textile business.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, chipa said:

I didn't say that I can now swing in the 120's, that 114 mph with he 5 wood was just a good swing. BTW, as you should be able to see it was at the range for the divots.

Here is a video at my home course. My form was not my best. I did not take my radar that day.

I'll give you credit for posting a video.  You might want to get that radar checked, I don't see 114 MPH swing speed anywhere there.  I'm no expert though, so maybe I'm wrong.  But it looks to me like your more in the 95-100mph category on driver speed. 

• Like 3

Far too much lateral motion going down in your swing 

Although some lateral motion is required to weight your lead foot , any additional lateral motion detracts from your ability to rotate your torso. 

And this large lateral motion results in a “reverse C “

impact , a term popularized by Jimmy Ballard. Among other negatives a reverse c has negative implication for your lumbar spine

I'll give you credit for posting a video.  You might want to get that radar checked, I don't see 114 MPH swing speed anywhere there.  I'm no expert though, so maybe I'm wrong.  But it looks to me like your more in the 95-100mph category on driver speed. 

I said that wasn't the best form but I'm pretty certain it was in the low-mid 100's. When I lived in Orlando and had decent form I consistently hit it 275-300 and played from the back tees.

I also lift heavy weights 4 times a week to include power cleans and front lunges.

Notes:

Just now, golfarb1 said:

Far too much lateral motion going down in your swing 

Although some lateral motion is required to weight your lead foot , any additional lateral motion detracts from your ability to rotate your torso. 

And this large lateral motion results in a “reverse C “

impact , a term popularized by Jimmy Ballard. Among other negatives a reverse c has negative implication for your lumbar spine

Mike Austin would disagree and he played well into old age.

• Like 1

Notes:

7 minutes ago, chipa said:

I said that wasn't the best form but I'm pretty certain it was in the low-mid 100's. When I lived in Orlando and had decent form I consistently hit it 275-300 and played from the back tees.

I also lift heavy weights 4 times a week to include power cleans and front lunges.

Sorry man.  Form doesn't change that much day to day.  You have huge power leaks in your swing to prevent the kind of numbers you are claiming.  Not to mention you have your hands so far split apart, that you are killing leverage.  But this is my last post.  You can claim whatever you want.  

Shit Swing.png

Edited by wagolfer7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry man.  Form doesn't change that much day to day.  You have huge power leaks in your swing to prevent the kind of numbers you are claiming.  Not to mention you have your hands so far split apart, that you are killing leverage.  But this is my last point.  You can claim whatever you want.  

Shit Swing.png

In my original post I mentioned that I regrip at the top when I don't get the club situated properly on the takeway.

Notes:

43 minutes ago, chipa said:

Is this you, chipa?  

Untitled-1c  Muscleman-URL

Edited by Nail_It
  • Haha 1

There are two things you can learn by stopping your backswing at the top and checking the position of your hands: how many hands you have, and which one is wearing the glove.

Everyone needs to settle down a bit here, I don't think the poster was trolling, if he was he wouldn't have posted a swing. I give him plenty of credit for actually posting a swing a swing as well. As some others have unkindly suggested, I think you might want to recheck your device as it seems it may be incorrectly calibrated. The "quickest" way to confirm would be to post your average driving distance. If you are swing 110+ and have a decent smash factor, launch and spin, you would be carrying it 275-295, total drive of 300-315. There seems to be a lot of moving parts in your swing and it appears it would be very difficult to crack 100mph. Just my two cents.

50 minutes ago, wagolfer7 said:

@chipa - you might see something here that will help you.  You are pretty much the opposite of what you want to do to create high clubhead speed.  Maybe get your stuff together before posting more on what others should be focusing and working on.  

JT extension.png

I think my clubhead speed is not bad but I realize I have problems such as regripping.

Notes:

• chipa locked this topic