2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

New Trend: music on the golf course

14 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

You're aware of the demographic of this game, right? Largely played by godawful boring dads?

Wait... I resemble that remark!

Haha Yall are lucky to have cool kids like me makin' yall look better! 😉

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

17 hours ago, Ferguson said:

Referencing my previous post - 

It amazes me how the source (golfers playing music) of the potential issue (music being too loud, in this case) determine the what is right and what is wrong; what is too loud and what is not too loud.   There is no standard courtesy or golf etiquette applicable to playing music when other groups are within an earshot.  The standard courtesy or golf etiquette is that you refrain from doing it altogether.   Only the listener can determine what is too loud.  Entitled people – I guess  the rules don’t apply.

I was told something during one of my rotations that Ill never forget and seemingly has gotten more true each day.  A 20 year old Afghani local force that was with us, while eating lunch said "Americans, you guys have too much that you could never know true struggle.  You just have to manufacture what you think is one"

Reading that post, I immediately envisioned that cat sitting across from me and saying that.  

• Like 2

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

12 minutes ago, bubbagump said:

I was told something during one of my rotations that Ill never forget and seemingly has gotten more true each day.  A 20 year old Afghani local force that was with us, while eating lunch said "Americans, you guys have too much that you could never know true struggle.  You just have to manufacture what you think is one"

Reading that post, I immediately envisioned that cat sitting across from me and saying that.  

It's a very true statement. Me and my brother talk about stuff like this sometimes 

It does cut both ways, however. Only a very entitled person would think they have the right to play music wherever and whenever they want....However, also only an entitled person would be so offended as to get upset at the sound of music while they are enjoying a hobby so few people globally can do

Maybe we should just be happy that we are we are entitled

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Herein lies the issue.   The vast majority of golfers choose not to play music on the golf course, either out of respect for others or they feel it doesn't belong.  My issue is not with the music, it is with the responsibility that comes with choosing to play music.   If the few golfers that choose to play music on the course truly cared and were cognizant of their actions and kept the volume as a reasonable level, this discussion wouldn't exist.  In terms of responsibility, I view maintaining the volume level just as important as fixing ball marks, letting  faster groups play through and yelling fore.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

Herein lies the issue.   The vast majority of golfers choose not to play music on the golf course, either out of respect for others or they feel it doesn't belong.  My issue is not with the music, it is with the responsibility that comes with choosing to play music.   If the few golfers that choose to play music on the course truly cared and were cognizant of their actions and kept the volume as a reasonable level, this discussion wouldn't exist.  In terms of responsibility, I view maintaining the volume level just as important as fixing ball marks, letting  faster groups play through and yelling fore.  

I pretty much agree. And i've also wondered what happens if EVERYONE decides to play music (Right now it's just a couple of random groups mostly at any course). If every group played music it's hard to imagine you wouldn't inevitably get distracted by it. 

Sometimes i just don't know what the solution is. This past year has made me think about that even more. It sucks telling people they can't do something if it's likely bothering no one and they genuinely don't want to bother anyone

But then there are always people who just don't care, and they ruin it for everyone

• Like 1

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

4 hours ago, Ferguson said:

Those playing music don't want the discomfort of ear buds, so they bring their "bigger JBL" and make everyone else uncomfortable.

Reminds of high school kids that would drive around town, alone, in a grossly under-powered 1982 Firebird with T-tops removed and the Pioneer Sound System cranked.  

Ferguson breaking out the AC/DC cassettes.  Back in Black baby. 🎸

• Like 2

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

13 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

I pretty much agree. And i've also wondered what happens if EVERYONE decides to play music (Right now it's just a couple of random groups mostly at any course). If every group played music it's hard to imagine you wouldn't inevitably get distracted by it. 

Sometimes i just don't know what the solution is. This past year has made me think about that even more. It sucks telling people they can't do something if it's likely bothering no one and they genuinely don't want to bother anyone

But then there are always people who just don't care, and they ruin it for everyone

You find these folks in every crowd.  

Personally, I don't care as long as the volume is in check.  And that goes for loud conversations on the golf course, too. 

Take the most introverted quiet guy in the parking lot, put him on the golf course and after a few beers he's telling you about the one and only time he played the back tees and how he can't stand going to his in-law's for the holidays and before making the turn he shares a story about a skin rash he's had for years.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

Ferguson breaking out the AC/DC cassettes.  Back in Black baby. 🎸

Full disclosure.....in the early '80's this was pretty much me.  🙂  Except I had an underpowered Camaro.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

On 3/23/2021 at 4:41 PM, tatertot said:

The problem with any debate like this are terms like "Blasting music loudly is not okay." 

What is loudly? Loudly for you might not be loudly for me ... anytime you get opinions involved, you get trouble. That's why there are hard and fast rules.

I do agree with you that the term is subjective to each individual. I said in an earlier post where you could only hear the music if you were in the cart or right next to the cart. Like you said the term "loud" is subjective.

Edited by stephenmatt

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Mid to late 70s here - I had a '64 Valiant 2 door, lol. But it was my car!

I listened to AC/DC and my first car was a 1998 Corolla. Had a sweet 4 cylinder with like 110hp

I was 1-75 in drag races. One time i beat another guy in a corolla, except he was fat so i had the weight advantage

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

5 hours ago, Ferguson said:

Bruh, thats just all your own personal opinion on: "the issue", "the vast majority", "the few that do" and your interpretation of what you see it akin to.  

• Like 1

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

WITB

2 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

I listened to AC/DC and my first car was a 1998 Corolla. Had a sweet 4 cylinder with like 110hp

I was 1-75 in drag races. One time i beat another guy in a corolla, except he was fat so i had the weight advantage

Apparently listening to Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Eagles, southern rock, almost anything actually was "Dad" music so far as I can tell, but I assure you my dad didn't care much for my music (but he wasn't into music in general, not a get off my lawn thing, just couldn't understand spending good money on vinyl, etc., but he did score me a sweet Pioneer tape deck for my 20th birthday which was totally out of left field, yet that was/is my Dad - he knew what his kids were into - the Wilson Staff Tours he got me for college graduation have never been topped as a gift!).  

I digress.

One night during a week I was staying with a buddy because his parents thought having someone there with him to smoke and drink beer and roll out to the high school in the morning was a good idea, we decided to take our cars out and see what they would do.  Of course, he had a Fiat, so that was a blast.  I had my Valiant up to 105 on a county road - bald tires, crappy suspension, so stupid but of course we didn't perceive it as such.  Upon reflection I realized I would never do that again (in my Valiant, lol, parents' Plymouth Fury III was a whole different story). 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Mid to late 70s here - I had a '64 Valiant 2 door, lol. But it was my car!

8 Track I presume?  

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I'm not opposed to music on the course. At least at my home club I'm not. I'm there to play with friends, have a good time, and maybe win some money. I'm not in some sort of hyper focused, Zen-like state of mind where any outside noises are going to anger me. It helps that I'm at a private club where most of the members who do play music do it at a respectable volume.  

Now if I go to a destination course (Pinehurst, Pebble, Whistling Straits, etc.) I want to get the full golf experience and random music might ruin that for me. 

So I guess my opinion is... play that funky music. Just don't play it so loud that the group 3 fairways over can hear it.

Edited by Abh159

42 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

You're just telling war stories (thanks for your service) and I'm just telling how it is. 

My point being, you're unashamedly "that guy", but point out the other "guy" as if he is the problem.  Y'all are the same dude, but just opposite ends lol, both making it far more complicated or dramatic than the situation really is.    

Anyway, around here speakers are very prevalent at pretty much every course I play at, to the point where a few courses have usb plugs and speakers in their carts.  People using speakers play baseball games, podcasts, music etc and range from young to old.  Seeing it sounds around here its far different than your area and how you told us it is, I still haven't seen these mystical beasts thumping hooks heard 3 fairways over or shooter mcgavins chastising a group for utilizing a speaker and ruining the sanctity of the holy game of golf.  

Majority of people are squared away and kind,  and when a problem is raised or presented its compromised and handled.  For the instances that aren't, like Jeff said earlier, d*cks are d*cks.    

Edited by bubbagump
  • Like 2

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

WITB

My actual first car was a '74 Ford Mustang, possibly the worst Mustang ever, probably the slowest car in my high school.  I kept a case of cheap oil in the back seat to keep the crankcase full.  I think it leaked more oil than it used gas.  The stereo in that was crap, just a AM/FM.  But a couple of years later I sold my dirt bike and got the 78 Camaro.  Upgraded the stereo and speakers, added an amp, I was totally jamming some Def Leppard, ZZ Top, Van Halen, Quiet Riot,  AC/DC then some Zeppelin, Skynnard etc.  and whatever else we liked in the 80's.  I have always liked the 70's era the best though, by far the best decade for music ever.  

Image result for pic 74 mustang

• Like 2

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

9 minutes ago, dlygrisse said:

8 Track I presume?  

Well this is embarrassing - yes, I started out with an 8 track - it was one of those little portables that looked like a detonator - push down to change tracks, lol.  It had batteries.  My radio only got AM - at night I  could pull what I think was KAAY out of Little Rock, one of those clear channel stations, and man, that station played incredible stuff at that time I couldn't hear anywhere else.  The 8 track lasted about 3 months, then at Xmas I had a cassette player installed and a couple of speakers - heaven!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stephenmatt said:

I do agree with you that the term is subjective to each individual. I said in an earlier post where you could only hear the music if you were in the cart. Basically low enough that you can talk in the cart and still hear each other but once you get out of the cart you can't hear it.

I do not know exactly how loudly you really play the music. That said I have never .met anyone that plays music on the course that acknowledges they play it too loudly.

Makes me wonder why you feel it necessary to turn it down on the tee box if it truly cannot be heard outside the cart. I have only met one person in my life that plays it that quietly.

This is what you said earlier...

When playing with someone we don't know we also ask them if it's okay to play it and when they are teeing off in an area where they can hear it we will turn it down even if they say it isn't necessary.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

1 minute ago, Shilgy said:

I do not know exactly how loudly you really play the music. That said I have never .met anyone that plays music on the course that acknowledges they play it too loudly.

Makes me wonder why you feel it necessary to turn it down on the tee box if it truly cannot be heard outside the cart. I have only met one person in my life that plays it that quietly.

This is what you said earlier...

When playing with someone we don't know we also ask them if it's okay to play it and when they are teeing off in an area where they can hear it we will turn it down even if they say it isn't necessary.

Have you never been on a course where the tee box is literally sitting next to the cart path? Music is not banned from being played on the golf course...

4 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

My actual first car was a '74 Ford Mustang, possibly the worst Mustang ever, probably the slowest car in my high school.  I kept a case of cheap oil in the back seat to keep the crankcase full.  I think it leaked more oil than it used gas.  The stereo in that was crap, just a AM/FM.  But a couple of years later I sold my dirt bike and got the 78 Camaro.  Upgraded the stereo and speakers, added an amp, I was totally jamming some Def Leppard, ZZ Top, Van Halen, Quiet Riot,  AC/DC then some Zeppelin, Skynnard etc.  and whatever else we liked in the 80's.  I have always liked the 70's era the best though, by far the best decade for music ever.  

Image result for pic 74 mustang

One of my best friends in high school had that exact car except green.  One day after golf practice another kid (his name was Chad.  Can't believe I remember that) pokes his head into the drivers side window looking at my friend's Mustang dashboard.  After a quick study of the dash he then said, "120 mph... Not bad..".  

• Like 2

annoying as heck but represents our current new crop of players. I like music but keep it to a decibel where your cart hears it. Ive had groups pull up to where they were blaring the music so loud, it felt as if they were doing it on purpose to annoy us. Play your music but respect those around you. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

5 hours ago, stephenmatt said:

Have you never been on a course where the tee box is literally sitting next to the cart path? Music is not banned from being played on the golf course...

Absolutely I have. And as I previously mentioned I do have a friend that’s plays music so quietly he does not need to turn it down. Even on the tee box. That is what you said you do, play it sooo quietly, but yet it does spill outside the cart. 

I appreciate your honesty. And your effort to turn it down would be appreciated. But what you are saying is what those of us on the other side have been saying. Most music players play it louder than they say they do. Even the courteous ones like yourself.

Unfortunately music is not banned outright at most courses. In a tournament we can fall back on rule 1.2 but in casual play we have no other defense than asking it be kept at a lower level. Instances I have experienced where it is clearly heard over 50 yards away are not that uncommon. Sound carries a lot easier than most music players realize. 

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

13 hours ago, bubbagump said:

My point being, you're unashamedly "that guy", but point out the other "guy" as if he is the problem.  Y'all are the same dude, but just opposite ends lol, both making it far more complicated or dramatic than the situation really is.    

Anyway, around here speakers are very prevalent at pretty much every course I play at, to the point where a few courses have usb plugs and speakers in their carts.  People using speakers play baseball games, podcasts, music etc and range from young to old.  Seeing it sounds around here its far different than your area and how you told us it is, I still haven't seen these mystical beasts thumping hooks heard 3 fairways over or shooter mcgavins chastising a group for utilizing a speaker and ruining the sanctity of the holy game of golf.  

Majority of people are squared away and kind,  and when a problem is raised or presented its compromised and handled.  For the instances that aren't, like Jeff said earlier, d*cks are d*cks.    

Yes, I am that guy, but it's not complicated.  I could care less about some other guy wanting to play his music - a person's actions are his own.  All I ask is that he understands the onus is on him to make sure the music is not too loud.   

• Like 1

Like pulling up to a guy on a harley or a goldwing blaring the music so loud. It is all good when they are down the road by themselves but pulled up next to them at a stop light, you would think they have hearing problems.

Edited by llewol007

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness