New Trend: music on the golf course

3 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

Nah. Most of the courses around here have plenty of adjoining holes where you're going to hear all kinds of loud conversations and the like from other fairways, tees, and greens. The only difference is if its my group then I can participate. I'll keep quiet if paired with strangers when they're hitting but any round where it is a group of my friends, one would be hard pressed to get silence at any point in the round.

I have no problem blocking out distractions from other groups.  But I admit do not do it well in the case of noise from my own.  I guess I feel that I deserve the same level of politeness that I give others in my group. 

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Speen PX Hzrdus Green 60s

Titleist TS3 strong 3 wood 13.5* PX Hzrdus. Smoke 75s

Titleist 818H2 19* hybrid Tensei Blue

Adams A12 21* UST VTS Silver 75s

Titleist TS3 23* Tensei Blue

Srixon ZX7 6-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125s

Taylormade MG2 50* 54* 58* DG S300

Scotty Cameron Newport Special Select 34” with flow neck by LaMont

I love me some music on the course. 
My regular playing partner likes it a touch too loud. 

If we are paired up with strangers I always ask if they mind some tunes. 

I think there is a fine line of being respectful and being obnoxious.  I always have my finger on the volume ready to adjust it if we cross paths with other groups. 

There is something very satisfying to me about hitting a shot with a good song playing in the background. 

• Like 3

On 5/12/2021 at 11:33 PM, chippa13 said:

I guess I don't understand what is so mentally crippling about hitting a golf ball.

I was taught (shown by example from the older guys I golfed with) that talking quietly on the tee box is pretty fine unless someone specifically requests not.  What you want to avoid is sudden, loud noises...laughter, practice swings, opening a beverage can, whatever.  But, putting requires absolute silence.

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

I find it aggravating but unfortunately the can of worms is opened and it is only going to become more prevalent.  It does vary from course to course.  On courses that are more spread out it is less of a problem but the course I played at last year is one with every green and tee box right next to each other with a lot of parallel fairways so it was normal to hear multiple groups playing music at the same time.  I only lasted one year at that club.

I'm an anti-music guy, but I've resigned myself to the fact that the cart has left the barn on the issue of music in casual rounds.

The trend I find really disturbing is the guys that are now wanting to play music during events and tournaments.  Have our attention spans really gotten that short?

Taylormade SIM Max 9 - Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70 S
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - MRC D+ Limited 80 S
Titleist 818 H2 21 at C4 (22) - MRC Tensei AV White 90 S
Ping i20 4i-PW - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Taylormade Spider Tour Red Half-Sightline - 35"

On 5/21/2021 at 4:34 PM, fat_boy_jimmy said:

If you're playing music on the course then you're as common as muck, classless.

By chance have you ever been to a PGA Tour practice round? Lots of music blasting out of bags.  Way too many to refer to all of them as classless. And these guys are preparing to try and win a tournament and keep food on the table not just break 100 on a Friday afternoon. 

Being able to block out nonsense, or anything else needed, is a quality trait to have, and it sounds like something more on here need to work on. Golf is not a game of silence. Granted there are manners to be had, but it's not a game of silence.  If it were we'd play it in a library and there would be no barking dogs, cars honking, truck engines, music, talking, lawn mowers, weed eaters and anything else that comes with being outside in the elements.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, bazinky said:

I'm an anti-music guy, but I've resigned myself to the fact that the cart has left the barn on the issue of music in casual rounds.

The trend I find really disturbing is the guys that are now wanting to play music during events and tournaments.  Have our attention spans really gotten that short?

The answer to your last question is yes. No doubt about it.  Our societies attention span is close to zero. Observe the kids, observe the adults, observe the news, observe driving (by people of all ages and walks of life) observe politricks, observe the decline of baseball by kids and parents for a sport like lacrosse. We have little to no attention span anymore. Times have indeed changed. 

12 hours ago, PoolPond said:

By chance have you ever been to a PGA Tour practice round? Lots of music blasting out of bags.  Way too many to refer to all of them as classless. And these guys are preparing to try and win a tournament and keep food on the table not just break 100 on a Friday afternoon. 

Being able to block out nonsense, or anything else needed, is a quality trait to have, and it sounds like something more on here need to work on. Golf is not a game of silence. Granted there are manners to be had, but it's not a game of silence.  If it were we'd play it in a library and there would be no barking dogs, cars honking, truck engines, music, talking, lawn mowers, weed eaters and anything else that comes with being outside in the elements.  

Good to know…then you won’t mind me talking when you’re hitting off the tee?  The other noises you mentioned are just life.  Talking while someone in your group is playing is just rude and very poor golf etiquette.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/22/2021 at 6:48 PM, tatertot said:

New? Here in the Midwest, we've put up with it for the last few years. Some hate it, some love it. Most who love it think only they can hear it.

I think it’s definitely gotten way more common in the last 2 years.  We have a couple of regulars now blasting it all the time.  If I can hear it 3 holes away, it might be a bit loud.

funny part is, one guy plays the same playlist all the time.  I know it’s him without even looking, it’s all Vietnam era classic rock. NOTHING else ever.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2021 at 12:47 PM, PoolPond said:

wait a minute though, those same guys aren’t shooting a “score” on those practice days, they are learning lines, checking green books and reads, and specifically seeking out as much of the trouble and course design as they can.    They aren’t concentrating to shoot a score.  There’s a big difference.

• Like 1

For the first time in my life, a guy I was playing with today started playing music. Pretty quietly, yes, but music nonetheless.

And I'd never thought I'd find myself in this boat, but I kinda didn't hate it. At all. It was pretty relaxing.

TaylorMade Mini 300

Callaway Mavrik Max 3 wood

Cobra F9 5 Wood

Callaway Mavrik 4 hybrid

Srixon 565 5-AW

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Bettinardi Studio Stock 17

1 hour ago, MaineMariner said:

For the first time in my life, a guy I was playing with today started playing music. Pretty quietly, yes, but music nonetheless.

And I'd never thought I'd find myself in this boat, but I kinda didn't hate it. At all. It was pretty relaxing.

you were lucky they were playing something you kinda liked.  It stinks when they aren’t 

I tend to be indifferent if the volume is reasonable.  But the problem is not the guys with a reasonable volume, none of us hear those guys!  It’s the obnoxious volume guys that we are probably talking about more.

And maybe  that stupid speaker that yells the yardages out (wingman or something).  That thing is dumb.

• Like 1

Since turning over the business to my kids and being semi retired, I have gotten to play about 100 days "on the road" around the U.S. for the past 2 years. Plus another 80 rounds at home.

I'd guess less than 20% (or less than 1 in 5) of the time I hear music in a cart on the course, or play with a person who has music.

Are some of you noticing music more than 50% of the time when you play?

I'm in the group of players who aren't bothered by music or conversations while I swing, but my handicap has always bounced between 12-16, so lets face it - I suck but enjoy it...

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Par Be A Joke said:

Since turning over the business to my kids and being semi retired, I have gotten to play about 100 days "on the road" around the U.S. for the past 2 years. Plus another 80 rounds at home.

I'd guess less than 20% (or less than 1 in 5) of the time I hear music in a cart on the course, or play with a person who has music.

Are some of you noticing music more than 50% of the time when you play?

I'm in the group of players who aren't bothered by music or conversations while I swing, but my handicap has always bounced between 12-16, so lets face it - I suck but enjoy it...

I’ve noticed that the time of day matters.

in the morning before say 12, I don’t hear music often.  In the afternoon, 50% might be a reasonable guess.  That’s on our main course anyway.

and for many that are saying they “ask” before the round, which one of us really wants to be the jerk that says “no, we hate music, don’t play it”.  10 years ago none of us had to answer that question, because no one did it.  

BUT, even if I say I don’t mind, that doesn’t mean I expect you to play it at a volume that I can hear it. But it seems like once I say yes, all bets are off and the volume becomes the Wild West.  

Edited by clinkinfo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, clinkinfo said:

I’ve noticed that the time of day matters.

in the morning before say 12, I don’t hear music often.  In the afternoon, 50% might be a reasonable guess.  That’s on our main course anyway.

and for many that are saying they “ask” before the round, which one of us really wants to be the jerk that says “no, we hate music, don’t play it”.  10 years ago none of us had to answer that question, because no one did it.  

BUT, even if I say I don’t mind, that doesn’t mean I expect you to play it at a volume that I can hear it. But it seems like once I say yes, all bets are off and the volume becomes the Wild West.  

And my experience lately has been if I say it’s ok at a low volume they tend to test it as the round goes on.  Raising the volume to see what the breaking point is for those that don’t want it. 

I believe playing music on the golf course is disrespectful to the game. The sound of a well struck shot is what a player should want to hear.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

Myself and our group rock the tunes.   If that's disrespectful, I'll gladly disrespect the hell out of the game, I love having music on the course and love seeing some of the stuffiness go away. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Taylormade Sim 2 8* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x

Taylormade M3 3 Wood Accra FX 300

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 18* Steelfiber FC 

Taylormade P770  4-PW Rifle 6.0

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

7 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Myself and our group rock the tunes.   If that's disrespectful, I'll gladly disrespect the hell out of the game, I love having music on the course and love seeing some of the stuffiness go away. 

As long as it’s only your group that can hear your tunes have at it.  But there is no reason others should be subjected to your noise.

• Like 2

I like music on the course as long as it's not too loud. My buddy started playing music 2-3 years ago, I like it now. 

WITB
Ping G10 Driver- Matrix White Tie
Callaway X Hot 3W- Project X
Callaway X Hot 4H- Project X
Lynx Parallax 5-SW- Nippon NS Pro 950GH
Ping Eye 2 SW- DG S300
Nike VR Forged LW- DG S300
Ray Cook Blue Goose
Srixon

So I am on the green of the 9th and the cartpath from another 9 owes past this green alongside the clubhouse deck.

I hear the “music” from carts when they are about 60 yards away on the path. I stop getting ready to putt, turn around and here are 2 carts travelling, one playing the most go-awful whining country, the other full metal, both at the same volume and driving about 3 yards apart.

My thought was there is no limit to human stupidity.

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

18 hours ago, Quasimoto said:

So I am on the green of the 9th and the cartpath from another 9 owes past this green alongside the clubhouse deck.

I hear the “music” from carts when they are about 60 yards away on the path. I stop getting ready to putt, turn around and here are 2 carts travelling, one playing the most go-awful whining country, the other full metal, both at the same volume and driving about 3 yards apart.

My thought was there is no limit to human stupidity.

I'm the heavy metal guy, although you'd never hear my music, I generally turn it up so it can only be heard in and  around my cart.  Most of the time it can't be heard on the tee box (unless the cart path is right up next to the box) or greens when we're away from the cart.  While I love my music on the course, I do agree that the rest of the course doesn't need to hear it, and I don't need to hear theirs.

Taylormade Sim 2 8* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x

Taylormade M3 3 Wood Accra FX 300

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 18* Steelfiber FC 

Taylormade P770  4-PW Rifle 6.0

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

12 hours ago, MountainKing said:

I'm the heavy metal guy, although you'd never hear my music, I generally turn it up so it can only be heard in and  around my cart. 

Says every person who plays music...

No offense intended, but it's the same old song. (pardon the pun)

• Like 3

X________________________________ Sign Here

On 7/3/2021 at 2:36 PM, MountainKing said:

I'm the heavy metal guy, although you'd never hear my music, I generally turn it up so it can only be heard in and  around my cart.  Most of the time it can't be heard on the tee box (unless the cart path is right up next to the box) or greens when we're away from the cart.  While I love my music on the course, I do agree that the rest of the course doesn't need to hear it, and I don't need to hear theirs.

While I appreciate the effort I gotta say……the tee box is at least 30-50 feet from the cart path typically.  So the music is spilling out louder than you think.   Also,  heavy metal quietly is an oxymoron.

• Like 1