Rory working with Pete Cowen

Frankensteins Monster

2 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

Two way miss city. 

Would agree under conventional wisdom but Rory's swing is so much different than even other tour pros. Those big high slinging draws was how he played his most dominant golf and he claims to have developed a two way miss going the other way. 

“I know for years and years my whole golf career I’ve got used to dropping it underneath the plane on the way down, and from there I can manage it,” he said. “I can hold it off. I’m used to that feeling.”

“It’s a completely different pattern that I’m having to manage and … I’m not used to managing it, so that’s where the two-way miss comes in, and that’s where I just have to figure out what to do to get it back to a familiar pattern,”

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Londoner said:

I'm  fortunate. I live about 1 mile from Petes academy. I've seen him teach first hand and chatted to him often in his bar. Great, down to earth fella. He's very strong on questions like

"Why do you think that happened? "

"How did that feel"

Technically he's very strong on sequencing. His team do teach Petes 'method' for we mortals.  However I don't believe he will make any radical changes to a natural talent like Rorys.

Ps His axe drill has helped everyone I know who has tried it.

He has worked with a few of the greatest ballstrikers of the past 20 years.  Says a lot.

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, PureStrikes54 said:

Would agree under conventional wisdom but Rory's swing is so much different than even other tour pros. Those big high slinging draws was how he played his most dominant golf and he claims to have developed a two way miss going the other way. 

“I know for years and years my whole golf career I’ve got used to dropping it underneath the plane on the way down, and from there I can manage it,” he said. “I can hold it off. I’m used to that feeling.”

“It’s a completely different pattern that I’m having to manage and … I’m not used to managing it, so that’s where the two-way miss comes in, and that’s where I just have to figure out what to do to get it back to a familiar pattern,”

He has been 6th or better (1st twice) in SG off the tee for the last 5 years. His more neutral swing is absolutely performing well for him. His current issue isn't the tee ball, he's T3 right now in SG off the tee. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, PureStrikes54 said:

From what I've deduced from his videos (this could be entirely different from what he actually teaches his stable of tour pros) I would lean slightly more on a "his swing". He seems to be very focused on loading the body properly, having a neutral path, sequencing properly, and doesn't seem to be a ton of deviation for how this is done. He has said however Rory does all of the "loading" stuff he likes well in spades. Hoping this is more of a "performance manager" relationship where he gets the areas of Rory's game that are extremely lacking and brings them up to a serviceable level while not doing a ton with the actual swing. Will be interesting to see how this unfolds. 

OK, well at least he is part of the way there.  Not like him going to a Leadbetter or someone that wants to completely change him.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Londoner said:

You don't think good putting starts between the ears?

I hope PC has some specific plans on putting besides whispering sweet nothings to Rors because this is scary.

And I’m a big Rory fan! 

August will be 7 years since his last major. He’s getting into Tiger major drought territory. 

Just for context, Phil Mickelson makes 71% of his putts from 6’.

Phil, Londoner. Phil!

41C37797-CE32-4FAA-9A80-646C6F5CF615.jpeg

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

I hope PC has some specific plans on putting besides whispering sweet nothings to Rors because this is scary.

And I’m a big Rory fan! 

August will be 7 years since his last major. He’s getting into Tiger major drought territory. 

As a world renowned short game coach I think he may have a couple of tips.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Londoner said:

As a world renowned short game coach I think he may have a couple of tips.

Talk me off the ledge because I google Pete Cowen putting and this came up

Not holding out much hope here...

“I DISLIKE PUTTING. It carries too much weight, scoring-wise. If it were up to me, each putt would count only half a stroke. I give you two golfers. Player A hits a 3-iron over water to a back-right pin. Hits it to 10 feet, then misses the putt. Player B hits a big pull left of the green, pitches it to six feet and holes the putt. Under my system, Player A scores a 2 on the hole, while Player B scores 2½. That's called justice. And it would speed up the game.”

-Pete Cowen

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.golfdigest.com/story/the-best-teacher-no-one-knows/amp

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

“I DISLIKE PUTTING. It carries too much weight, scoring-wise. If it were up to me, each putt would count only half a stroke. I give you two golfers. Player A hits a 3-iron over water to a back-right pin. Hits it to 10 feet, then misses the putt. Player B hits a big pull left of the green, pitches it to six feet and holes the putt. Under my system, Player A scores a 2 on the hole, while Player B scores 2½. That's called justice. And it would speed up the game.”

-Pete Cowen

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.golfdigest.com/story/the-best-teacher-no-one-knows/amp

😂 Pete and Rory can make their own leaderboard and they will win every week 

• Haha 1

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

But it’s his putting, man!

He 3rd in SG of the tee

And 105th in SG putting.

This just another yes man “lookin good, Rors” be like

C121CBC6-3528-48CA-AF81-E6E7455425F3.jpeg

YTD he is 18th driving and 82nd approach to the green.  His driving has dropped off a bit, his iron play is now almost as bad as his putting. 

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

Pete will sort him.  A few home truths and straight talking Is all Rory needs.

Provided Rors doesn't get offended with someone who does that and fire him, like Day did with Steve Williams. Speaking of whom, I will know that Rory is really serious if he gets a tour caddie like Williams (not a fan but gets results) to round out the team.

41 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

-Pete Cowen

Pete went into coaching because he couldn't putt.

All his stable can though. 

As with Danny Willet, if he does not think hes right for them at the time he will suggest someone  else. Hes a good guy, not ego driven.

Edited by Londoner
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

Rory isn't doing either well now so.....

To your point, I think it depends on the player.  Johnny Miller stated he had that issue in his prime, he hit it close all day every day and thought he should make everything.  Rory on the other hand seems to feed off his ball striking.  He gets that little bouncy step thing going when he is hitting it well.  When he isn't he whines in his pressers and sulks, his gate totally changes, and his whole game suffers.    

This is why Rory isn't Tiger, Tiger would scramble his way to a 70 when his swing was broken and grind it to a strong finish.  Rory just pretty much quits.  

he was 1st in SG tee to green in 2019, 6th in 2020 and is 18th this year. I'm not sure he needs a swing overhaul. No one wants to hit it bad but obviously he is an elite ball-striker and the stats show it. 

The strokes gained stuff is just math. The closer to the hole you are the less ability you have to separate yourself. If I told you that you had to gain .1 strokes gained on the approach compared to a random pga tour pro, would you rather do that with a 100 yard wedge shot or a 200 yard approach? You might have to hit it to a couple feet from 100 yards to do that versus within 20 feet from 200. 

This concept though about the stats is important because it changes perceptions of players. People perceive his putting to be so bad because of how good his ball-striking is and the opportunities he gets. If he had pga tour average ball-striking, his putting metrics would be better without changing anything putting wise but he wouldn't be as good at golf. 

Also he has a family now. I just don't know how realistic it is for him to compete with guys who are devoting their lives to golf when he is not. It's just a reality of the situation. Probably not going to compete with the 23 yr old kid who can grind all day 12 hours a day who doesn't have the same life responsibilities you have. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, GolfTurkey said:

Provided Rors doesn't get offended with someone who does that and fire him, like Day did with Steve Williams. Speaking of whom, I will know that Rory is really serious if he gets a tour caddie like Williams (not a fan but gets results) to round out the team.

I agree. Rory needs an old time top caddy, in my view. To keep him mentaly in the zone.

23 minutes ago, GolfTurkey said:

I think hes now a multi millionaire family man, living the life.

Hes not got Tigers (or many others) hunger.

However when hes relaxed he rends to burn it up. Once he's played himself out of a tournament he seems to relax and it flows. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Londoner said:

I think hes now a multi millionaire family man, living the life.

Hes not got Tigers (or many others) hunger.

However when hes relaxed he rends to burn it up. Once he's played himself out of a tournament he seems to relax and it flows. 

They are all multi millionaires living it up. Not just golf. All the big sports the guys are rich. 

But they still got the fire!

They want to kick @ss, assert dominance, kill everybody when out there. Losing is not ok.

Just sayin, remember this guy?

He was gonna beat ya or die tryin. 

4337B9B1-5815-4B17-9DFA-4869A686A048.jpeg

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Londoner said:

I agree. Rory needs an old time top caddy, in my view. To keep him mentaly in the zone.

It’s a shame that when JP told him “you’re Rory f’in McIlroy’ at the Open a few years back he didn’t listen and take on board what he said rather than fire him a few days/weeks later. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

They are all multi millionaires living it up. Not just golf. All the big sports the guys are rich. 

But they still got the fire!

They want to kick @ss, assert dominance, kill everybody when out there. Losing is not ok.

Just sayin, remember this guy?

He was gonna beat ya or die tryin. 

4337B9B1-5815-4B17-9DFA-4869A686A048.jpeg

I totally agree but that fire seems to be missing in Rory at the moment.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, compton1977 said:

It’s a shame that when JP told him “you’re Rory f’in McIlroy’ at the Open a few years back he didn’t listen and take on board what he said rather than fire him a few days/weeks later. 

Yeah, that seemed the start of the slope. He seems too careful now. That Sevy like cavalier spirit is missing. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

And I’m a big Rory fan! 

Just for context, Phil Mickelson makes 71% of his putts from 6’.

Phil, Londoner. Phil!

Good post. Clearly this is an area worth looking at. Instead of 6’ putts he should kick it out a foot to 7’ for an extra 10% 😂

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple D w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 70TX @45.25

3W: Taylormade M2 15* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 80X.

5W: Taylormade M6 18* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 90 TX.

Irons: Miura Retro Tournament blades 3i, 4i, and 7i. Miura MB-001 5i, 6i, 8i-PW. 3i with MMT 125TX. 4i-PW are Oak doweled, DG X100 Tiger Stepped 1/4”

lofts: 3i: 20* 4i: 24* 5i: 28* 6i: 32* 7i: 36* 8i: 40* 9i: 44* PW: 48*

Wedges: Fourteen RM4 56* DG X7, Miura 59* At 61* DG X7

Putter: Taylormade Spider

Grips: Golf pride MCC+4.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

11 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

-Pete Cowen

I love this guy !   Absolutely agree but I also agree it doesn’t sound like the puttin answer.  Maybe he’s staying with faxon ?  

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

12 hours ago, Londoner said:

I'm  fortunate. I live about 1 mile from Petes academy. I've seen him teach first hand and chatted to him often in his bar. Great, down to earth fella. He's very strong on questions like

"Why do you think that happened? "

"How did that feel"

Technically he's very strong on sequencing. His team do teach Petes 'method' for we mortals.  However I don't believe he will make any radical changes to a natural talent like Rorys.

Ps His axe drill has helped everyone I know who has tried it.

@Londoner You're a long way from London lol

I had one lesson years ago at his academy with one of his team. I asked about methodology and he told me its more a philosophy rather than a methodology. There are thinks Pete likes to happen in the swing (eg loading the shoulders) but it isn't a do it this exact way, but more do it the way your body allows but just make sure it gets done. 

• Like 1