Montreal & surrounding area Golf Courses

gcaudia

Hello, group of us heading out to Montreal this summer to play some golf as a large group. What golf courses should I apply to play at? Looking for the best 5-10. This includes private golf courses as well. I am aware of Royal Montreal, Laval sur le Lac and the Tremblant courses. Any advice on any courses within 45 min of Montreal? or list your top 5 including Private courses. Any help is appreciated thank you.

Hi, 

welcome to Montreal , summer is great , hopefully COVID will be a bit behind. 
golf wise your first 2 are among the best . If you can have access to those you will enjoy. On the south shore , some good private or semi-private courses are Vallée du Richelieu ( champions tour ) ,Pinegrove ( Canadian open ) , Mount Bruno , kanawaki and Summerlea (36 holes ), other choices could be Country Club of Montreal , Whitlock and Belœil  as well as Falcon. On the north shore apart from Laval sur le lac some private courses you may try are Hillsdale, Blainvillier and Mirage, Les 4 domaines is a nice 36 public course. Not so many courses on the island but adding to Royal Montreal , Club ce golf de l’île de Montréal ( 36 holes ) , st-Raphael and Elm Ridge.

traffic will be a pain due to road construction so plan accordingly. If restaurants are open you will have a blast.

most certainly mtl Jeff will chime in to add to this post

hopefully your pro has some time to make phone calls to get you on our beautiful courses

alain

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just noticed this now! ^^^ Those are great suggestions. I'm just curious how you would get on some of these courses OP, some of the private ones are tougher to get on then others especially if you are a large group....Unless you are a CPGA pro or something in which case maybe you can get on

The only course in Tremblant that is private is le Maitre. Le Diable is a very grand course and my favorite of the public ones. Le Geant and La Bete are both similar, hilly courses

The suggestions Alain made really nail most of them. For public courses i do really like 4 domaines in mid summer. Play course #2 which has the white sand. 

On island the only one that was maybe missed is Beaconsfield. A very nice track in the heart of the West Island, it is private . 

Public my favorite are Ile De Montreal, 4 domaines , Falcon and Le Versant which wasn't mentioned above, which is 45 holes. If you play Versant play the "Des Seigneurs" course

Private,... Royal, Pinegrove is beautiful, Laval sur le lac as you know. Really of the ones not mentioned in the OP, Pinegrove is the nicest IMO

If you play Whitlock and see someone with Cobra Forged Tec's in Lefty....it's MtlJeff

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Awesome list @alain3288 & @MtlJeff...I might have to make a golfing trip to Montreal sometime this Summer too!

Once the COVID situation stabilizes a bit and they start getting the vaccine out to the majority of people here, I’ll make a trip.

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Royal is royal. If you can, do it. Mount Bruno is another private course that is supposed to be amazing.

Out by Jeff, I can't recommend Whitlock (private) and Falcon enough - Falcon is my second favourite of the public courses in the greater Montreal area.

I really don't like 4Domaines these days - the conditions have been abysmal the past few years. 

My favourite public course nearby is Champetre - just a great track all-around.

And my final two recommendations - rather than going north to Tremblant, I'd go east to the townships - both Royal and Chateau Bromont are great courses and very beautiful.

Have fun!

Thanks to mtl Jeff and Altaguy, the picture is complete . Beaconsfield is my favourite course , just don’t know why I forgot . 

have fun and get in touch if you come. I’m a member of a middle of the road course on the south shore ,  not a tough course but usually good playing conditions , i may get you on depending on when you want to play

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2021 at 12:56 PM, AltaGuy said:

Royal is royal. If you can, do it. Mount Bruno is another private course that is supposed to be amazing.

Out by Jeff, I can't recommend Whitlock (private) and Falcon enough - Falcon is my second favourite of the public courses in the greater Montreal area.

I really don't like 4Domaines these days - the conditions have been abysmal the past few years. 

And my final two recommendations - rather than going north to Tremblant, I'd go east to the townships - both Royal and Chateau Bromont are great courses and very beautiful.

Have fun!

I agree about The Falcon GC.  It is great.  It is public.   It is located in the Town of Hudson, to the west of the island of Montreal.   I am a member of a private course in the greater Montreal area and I have played all of the best private golf courses in the area;  The Falcon is even better.   (It was intended to be a private golf course but, like so many, it went into receivership a few years after it opened and before the clubhouse had been built).  

I am not surprised that AltaGuy also really likes Le Champetre GC.   It was designed and built by the same golf architect who created The Falcon.   IIRC, the Falcon opened around 1999 and Le Champetre about 3 of 4 years later. 

Those were the boom times for the development of golf, prompted in no small part by Tiger's win at the Masters in 1997

On 4/19/2021 at 12:56 PM, AltaGuy said:

Have fun!

Le Champetre is a nice one, as @ParParAgain mentions it's quite similar to the falcon in overall vibe. It's a long track where you can really go for it on drives because you won't lose a ball there really. I think it stretches to 7100yds or something. It's north of Montreal maybe like 20-25 minutes into some of the back roads. It's semi-private so you can get on there. I played that course in an interclub maybe like 10 years ago

If you're out that way --I don't know what the story is with Le Diamant these days either. It used to be Green Valley, and then i heard went somewhat semi-private too where non-members could get on. It's a very fun course to play, nice looking, reachable par 5s etc...

• Thanks 1

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

That's too bad to hear about 4 domaines, truthfully i haven't played it in mid-summer in probably 4-5 years. It always used to be in great shape.

Maybe them opening up so early every year now is ruining the course. It feels like they are trying to be the International 2000 of the Montreal area.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

@MtlJeff Which of the Ile de Montreal courses do you prefer?

I'm working on another covert op for the weekend which would deposit me at my Mom's place for the weekend.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

22 minutes ago, jvincent said:

I'm working on another covert op for the weekend which would deposit me at my Mom's place for the weekend.

Ireland no question, not even close. The Ireland course is famous here.

I haven't played it in a few years, but if it's in good shape it's a fun links experience. It can be real beast too from the back tees. 

I'd play it a lot more but me being from West of the city, getting there is a massive pain in the a** with Montreal's highways and construction. I basically have to drive across the entire city and Montreal in the summer is just a big construction zone

Edited by MtlJeff

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

20 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

Ireland no question, not even close. The Ireland course is famous here.

I haven't played it in a few years, but if it's in good shape it's a fun links experience. It can be real beast too from the back tees. 

I'd play it a lot more but me being from West of the city, getting there is a massive pain in the a** with Montreal's highways and construction. I basically have to drive across the entire city and Montreal in the summer is just a big construction zone

Cool, thanks. I'll see how my plans work out and try and get on if I can.

Montreal a construction nightmare? Never!

• Haha 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

I was in Montreal in 2009.....seems like road/highway construction is the "NORM".....lol.

Get me a smoked meat sandwich (extra fat) at Schwartz's.....and extra dill pickle and a Cherry Coke.

IMO....Schwartz's is a tourist trap who don't cater to the Anglophone's....there are many other good deli's

6 hours ago, KBong said:

Get me a smoked meat sandwich (extra fat) at Schwartz's.....and extra dill pickle and a Cherry Coke.

IMO....Schwartz's is a tourist trap who don't cater to the Anglophone's....there are many other good deli's

Smoked Meat Pete's off island is quite good. My favorite place was called "Abie's" but the one in Dollard closed a few years back

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

• 2 years later...
On 4/17/2021 at 3:56 PM, MtlJeff said:

@MtlJeff how is Summerlea? 

Just noticed this now! ^^^ Those are great suggestions. I'm just curious how you would get on some of these courses OP, some of the private ones are tougher to get on then others especially if you are a large group....Unless you are a CPGA pro or something in which case maybe you can get on

The only course in Tremblant that is private is le Maitre. Le Diable is a very grand course and my favorite of the public ones. Le Geant and La Bete are both similar, hilly courses

The suggestions Alain made really nail most of them. For public courses i do really like 4 domaines in mid summer. Play course #2 which has the white sand. 

On island the only one that was maybe missed is Beaconsfield. A very nice track in the heart of the West Island, it is private . 

Public my favorite are Ile De Montreal, 4 domaines , Falcon and Le Versant which wasn't mentioned above, which is 45 holes. If you play Versant play the "Des Seigneurs" course

Private,... Royal, Pinegrove is beautiful, Laval sur le lac as you know. Really of the ones not mentioned in the OP, Pinegrove is the nicest IMO

If you play Whitlock and see someone with Cobra Forged Tec's in Lefty....it's MtlJeff

10 minutes ago, CharlesK802 said:

@MtlJeff @alain3288 what are you thoughts on Summerlea? 

which 18 is better?

we are going up in September and have the opportunity to play here so I’m debating if we should jump on it or try for somewhere else. 

any info is much appreciated!

thank you!

charles 

Hi Charles

Do you have a friend who is a member there? I'm not 100% up to date on how they are managing things now, if both Dorion and Cascades are still fully private or if Cascades is semi. I gather most members prefer Dorion but i've only played there a few times to be honest. 

If you are a guest of a member i'd say west of the city it's definitely a great track , and nicer than any of the public courses you would play (like Saint Raphael or Atlantide , The falcon is nice but the greens are slow etc). So if you can get on i'd definitely say yes play there, if you're looking in this general area (west of the city).

It depends what your situation is, if you are looking to get on a private track or public one. There are very nice private tracks west of the city (Royal, Beaconsfield, Whitlock) other than Summerlea. I would rank all of those higher. 

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

On 4/5/2024 at 2:21 PM, MtlJeff said:

@MtlJeff We have the option to play there through a private course reciprocal.  That was when I noticed that Summerlea was a 36 hole course so I wasnt sure which of the 2 was better?  I'm sure both are nice though? 

On 4/5/2024 at 2:21 PM, MtlJeff said:

Hi Charles

Do you have a friend who is a member there? I'm not 100% up to date on how they are managing things now, if both Dorion and Cascades are still fully private or if Cascades is semi. I gather most members prefer Dorion but i've only played there a few times to be honest. 

If you are a guest of a member i'd say west of the city it's definitely a great track , and nicer than any of the public courses you would play (like Saint Raphael or Atlantide , The falcon is nice but the greens are slow etc). So if you can get on i'd definitely say yes play there, if you're looking in this general area (west of the city).

It depends what your situation is, if you are looking to get on a private track or public one. There are very nice private tracks west of the city (Royal, Beaconsfield, Whitlock) other than Summerlea. I would rank all of those higher.