Long-term Mizuno MP-20 reviews?

Hello all,

I'm going to get fit soon, and even though they're a bit old now, I'm leaning towards a set of MP-20s. Likely a combo set of either the MMC or HMB in the long irons and MP short irons. The Srixon ZX7/ZX5 combo also looks good, but they're backordered and not sure I want to wait. I'm also a Mizuno homer and miss having a set of Mizuno irons. Anyway, for those of you that game a set of MP-20s, how are you liking them after some time in the bag? Would you buy them again? 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

MMCs are so pure! 

My all-time favorite set of irons. Absolutely love them. Perfect Mizuno forged feel, great look at address, very consistent and not difficult to hit. Reasonable amount of pop as well. I have them with

I have not hit the MBs however I have the MMCs and they feel so good when struck in the center of the face. This is my first set of Mizuno irons. The feel is as good as advertised and I will most like

Posted Images

My all-time favorite set of irons. Absolutely love them. Perfect Mizuno forged feel, great look at address, very consistent and not difficult to hit. Reasonable amount of pop as well. I have them with the Modus 120 stiff shafts and the feel is so nice.

I also tested the MMC and really liked them a lot (feel almost as good as blades) but went blades 5i-Pw, and I have an HMB 4 iron and 2 iron. The HMBs are fine, but a totally different animal -- much thicker, hollow, decent feel but not like the blades of course.

If I were buying MP-20s all over again, I would probably go MMC 4-5 iron, MB 6-PW.

• Like 3

Ping G425 Max 1w Ventus Blue

Ping G425 LST 3w Ventus Blue

Mizuno Hmb 2i 4i Ventus Blue

Mizuno MP20 5i-Pi Modus 120

Mizuno T20 50 54 58 DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 || Titleist Pro V1

Have the MB's for a while now and these irons feel great and are very consistent when it comes to distance and spin numbers.  Can easily shape the ball and pretty forgiving for an MB.  I have the HMB's in 4 and 5 iron and would not go that route again, sole is too big for my liking.  GL with the fitting. 

Go with the mix you want - everyone is different. Pros play the HMB's in the long irons. So don't let WRX peer pressure affect your decision. Heck, I play a full set of HMB's instead of JPX 921F. Better feel with the copper layer in the HMB.

• Like 3

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Observer of Peeps

Primary Bag:

Callaway Epic Speed 9; Epic Max 9 ● Mizuno STZ 5 wd/Motore F3 6 ● SIM Max 4H/Accra FX 2.0 200 ● Mizuno MP-20 HMB 5-PW Accra ICWT95 ● Mizuno MP T20 50, 55, 59/Nippon Pro Modus 3 Wedge 125 ● Swag Savage Too ● Options: Epic Speed 7 wd/Riptide 70, Mizuno STZ 3 wd/Motore F3 6, TEE EXS 3, 4 Hy/GD AD Hy 65

I have only a couple months in on my MP20 combo set and really like the heads. I actually just went to the range yesterday to test the ZX7/5 against the MP20 (I ordered the Mizunos before the Srixons were available) and prefer the feel the the MP20. Didn't notice any material difference in forgiveness and prefer less offset on the MP 20. Dispersion for me was much better with the Mizunos but that's also because the stock lie angle on the Srixons was way too upright for me. 

Went with P-7 MB, 6-5 MMC, 4 HMB with Nippon 120S. I'm likely going to ditch the MMC and replace with the MB which I find just as easy to hit and better for my slightly thin shots (must be lower weight CG?). I will also likely reshaft to the X for a lower flight but that's a preference thing for me. 

I actually really like the 4 HMB. Easy off the tee and nice for the 6 months here in Seattle when courses are soft. Hit it and try it. They are hollow but they still spin plenty unlike most/many hollow body irons that tend to be optimized for low spin and distance. I think you have some good options to combo with on this range depending on your preference. 

6 hours ago, Reds said:

I have not hit the MBs however I have the MMCs and they feel so good when struck in the center of the face. This is my first set of Mizuno irons. The feel is as good as advertised and I will most likely buy another set of Mizuno irons in the future.

MMCs are so pure! 

• Like 4

TM SIM 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x

TM SIM 14.25* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x
Titleist 510U 3i KBS Hybrid Prototype 95x
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4-6i, MP20 MMC 7-P Oban CT 115x 
Vokey SM7 52*, 56*, 60* Modus 125 Wedge
TM Spider X Navy

I went with 5-PW HMB’s. I was going to do a custom combo with HMB 5-6 maybe 7- then 8-9-PW in Mp 20 blades. After hitting the HMB,MMC and MP-20 MB I decided to go all HMB. I never had plans to go all blades to begin with.  The HMB and MMC gave me the same numbers, but I liked the HMB look better, and a combo set is too odd of a look from length, sole width, top line and overall size for me.  I liked the consistency of the entire set. I could have gone with all MMC just as well, my choice was aesthetic.  

I may have been influenced by my last two sets....Titleist 716 T-MB and Mizuno MP-67’s.  The HMB felt like the two had a baby 😝 I still have the

T-MB 2 iron 

• Like 2

I went HMB 3-5 and MB 6-PW and put them in play about a year ago.  I love these irons.  They look and feel great, the MB's are relatively forgiving for a blade iron.  I wish they made a GW in the MB range.  The HMB and MB are different clubs though, where the HMB can come off hot while the MB are more consistent.  If I were to do it again I'd get the 5i in MB instead.  The HMB 3i is a rocket off the tee, have hit some that get up into 3w/5w distances.

Callaway Mavrik driver

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 4-wood
Callaway Mavrik 7-wood
Mizuno MP20 HMB 3 & 5 irons
Mizuno MP20 6-pw

Mizuno T20 50*, 55* and 60* wedges
Odyssey OG #7 putter
Titleist Pro V1x ball

I would absolutely buy my MMC's again.  In fact, the MP-59 was my favorite iron but I traded them in for the MP-25 and regretted it.  Then I got into the 18-SC.  Good club. Solid.  Was very happy with it until I hit the 20-MMC at the PGA show in January 2020.  I knew I had to get back into that club.  I also did hit the MB but for my inconsistent ball striking, it wasn't a good fit. Obviously a gorgeous looking club though. You would not regret the MMC line.

• Like 1

DR: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 7S
5W: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 8S
3H: Titleist 816 H2 - Speeder 8.8X
Irons (4-P): Mizuno MP-20 MMC - KBS $ X
Wedges (50,54,58): Mizuno T20 Raw - KBS $ X
Putter: Seemore Nashville
Ball: 2021 Pro V1

Another vote for the MMCs.  Favourite iron and awesome combination of looks, feel and performance.  Can't fault them and would buy them all over again.  I have 6-P in the MMC, a 4 & 5 iron in the MP-18 Fli Hi and a HMB 5 iron.  Could play them all, maybe like the Fli Hi a little bit more than the HMB but it's marginal.  You cannot go wrong with any of the MP-20 range.  Lots of shafts and grips to choose from too. Good luck!

• Like 1

TSi3 10*
917 F2 16.5*
G425 19*
4-P MMC MP 20
SM7 52F 56F 60D
Rossie White Hot

11 hours ago, mn723 said:

I went HMB 3-5 and MB 6-PW and put them in play about a year ago.  I love these irons.  They look and feel great, the MB's are relatively forgiving for a blade iron.  I wish they made a GW in the MB range.  The HMB and MB are different clubs though, where the HMB can come off hot while the MB are more consistent.  If I were to do it again I'd get the 5i in MB instead.  The HMB 3i is a rocket off the tee, have hit some that get up into 3w/5w distances.

Are your lofts standard and how do you find the distance gapping between your 5 HMB and 6 MB?  

I was thinking of picking up the HMB 3, 4, 5 irons to mix in with my MP 5 6-PW, but I'm worried that the gapping between the 5 and 6 irons would be too large, especially if the HMBs are longer than the MPs when comparing the same lofts.

Ping G400 LST, 8.5*, OG Aldila NV 75s
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP 25, 4&5 iron, DG X100 SSx1
Mizuno MP 5, 6-PW, DG X100 SSx1
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled CC, 53* & 58* (DG S300)
Piretti Potenza II Rev 2.0, 375g, 34"
Srixon Z Star Tour Yellow

5 hours ago, grochol17 said:

Are your lofts standard and how do you find the distance gapping between your 5 HMB and 6 MB?  

I was thinking of picking up the HMB 3, 4, 5 irons to mix in with my MP 5 6-PW, but I'm worried that the gapping between the 5 and 6 irons would be too large, especially if the HMBs are longer than the MPs when comparing the same lofts.

You can have Mizuno bend the irons to make a natural progression.  

They have recommendations on their web site 

CCB5CE62-79CC-432B-85F9-0D548258AF27.jpeg

• Like 2

I don't have long term play but I'm loving my MBs so far (1 round and ~5 practice sessions in). I'm curious if anyone has blended a hot metal pro long iron with the MP-20s. I like my blade 3 iron but I know it's probably a but too demanding into greens, great off the tee though. I don't really want to carry two 4 irons but I could get over that if it works. 

Edited by TLUBulldogGolf

Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Kiyoshi Black 65-05
Titleist TSi3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist 818 H2 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 3-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 Raw 47-07 PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 54* S PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 60* M PX 6.0
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol 1.0

On 3/25/2021 at 10:15 PM, grochol17 said:

I had the 6 iron bent 1 degree strong, but didn't change the 7-PW.  If I were to do it again I would not have bent the 6 iron.  I'm a little OCD with my clubs and the look of the 6 iron bent bothers me a bit.  Yes, there is still a larger than normal yardage gap between my 6 iron MB and 5 iron HMB.  They are different clubs and the HMB's go a bit further, regardless of minimal loft differences.

Callaway Mavrik driver

Callaway Mavrik 7-wood
Mizuno MP20 6-pw

Odyssey OG #7 putter
Titleist Pro V1x ball

As a follow up, the distance gap between MB and HMB is more prevalent off a tee or from flyer or other better than normal lies.  I'm not knocking either model, just takes some getting used to regarding how the MB & HMB play.  MB's also curve more, both intentionally & unintentionally.

Callaway Mavrik driver

Callaway Mavrik 7-wood
Mizuno MP20 6-pw

Odyssey OG #7 putter
Titleist Pro V1x ball

I got my mixed set Aug 2019. Six months or so in I swapped MMC 9 for MB, so my set is 5-6 HMB, 7-8 MMC and 9-P MB. If anything I might go 6 MMC if I had to do it over again but not in a rush to change at all. This is my second set of Mizuno, I bought a used set of MP18 MMC with 5-6 Fli-Hi (= MP20 HMB). Honestly the 18s just as impressive, I like the 20 MB for 9 and P, though.   

No regrets, I have not considered other irons since getting this set. Another important consideration, I did the smart thing and got fit for this set. I doubt I will switch irons for years to come, (almost) 2 years is about a long time for me over the past 20 years of playing. Maybe age brings wisdom after all. 

Cobra F9 9, Fujikura Atmos 6s +1.5 
Cobra F9 3-4 Tour with Project X Hzrdus 6.0 +1.5
Cobra King Utility 20.5 Elements Chrome S 20.5
Mizuno MP 20 HMB 5-6, MMC 7-8, MP 9-P KBS C-taper Lite R
Scratch 1018 KBS 50
Scratch 1018 KBS 56
Nike Engage Toe Sweep 60
Yes! Mollie with Sense R grip

On 3/26/2021 at 7:02 AM, TLUBulldogGolf said:

I don't have long term play but I'm loving my MBs so far (1 round and ~5 practice sessions in). I'm curious if anyone has blended a hot metal pro long iron with the MP-20s. I like my blade 3 iron but I know it's probably a but too demanding into greens, great off the tee though. I don't really want to carry two 4 irons but I could get over that if it works. 

Not a hot metal pro, but when I bought my MP20 set I had ordered a 4,5 HMB and 6-P MB. With the 5 iron bent 1* weak I had 4* gaps between irons the whole way down. Sitting in the bag, the HMB and MB blend nicely. At address, the HMB is a much larger footprint and I didn't care for the way the wide sole felt going through the ground. I returned the HMB's for a 4,5 MMC which I like way better. Much thinner sole vs HMB while still giving you very comparable forgiveness. 

If you a looking for a single iron at the top of your set that's a little hotter and launches a little higher without giving up the low offset look, I would take a close look at the Titleist U500. 

Cobra RAD XB 9* - AD TP 6TX/ Cobra SZ Big Tour 13.5* - Tour AD TP 8X / Callaway Apex Hybrid or Titleist U510 20* - Tour AD IZ 95X

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4,5 / MP20 6-P - Project X 6.5 / Vokey SM8 50.08F, 56.12D, 60.08M - Project X 6.0

TM TP Juno or Spider Tour Black / Bridgestone BX

10 hours ago, cw1209 said:

Not a hot metal pro, but when I bought my MP20 set I had ordered a 4,5 HMB and 6-P MB. With the 5 iron bent 1* weak I had 4* gaps between irons the whole way down. Sitting in the bag, the HMB and MB blend nicely. At address, the HMB is a much larger footprint and I didn't care for the way the wide sole felt going through the ground. I returned the HMB's for a 4,5 MMC which I like way better. Much thinner sole vs HMB while still giving you very comparable forgiveness. 

If you a looking for a single iron at the top of your set that's a little hotter and launches a little higher without giving up the low offset look, I would take a close look at the Titleist U500. 

I was considering that one, I hit the HMB well but I just don’t care for how it looks. Just concerned with how a U-500 would blend distance wise with my hybrid.

Edited by TLUBulldogGolf

Mizuno MP-20 3-9 PX 6.5

I have the 18’s in the below set-up.  I highly recommend the combo set with the forgiving option in the long irons.  You sacrifice some feel but par 3 scores have drastically improved for me from the prior set of mp 60’s 4-w.  It always nice to clear the water or barely on the front of the green when the strike was average.

3-4 fli-hi

5-6 SC

7-p MB

I also have mmcs mp 20. Very happy. Great irons and great line in general the mp 20. The copper in lay is special i believe. The mmc are perfect for me. Margionaly bigger then the blade but with more forgiveness and its true ive hit shots on the face that ended up way better then it should have been. Would buy again for sure.  Mine is a full set of mmc and glad i went that way as well.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

I was considering that one, I hit the HMB good but I just don’t care for how it looks. Just concerned with how a U-500 would blend distance wise with my hybrid.

I get it. I only play 1 club in the "3 iron" slot, hybrid or driving iron. Not sure what your gaps look like. Nice thing is you can bend the loft easily on a U-500 to fit that gap better. Maybe the U-500 3 iron bent a degree or two weak would work? Only concern is it will have a little less offset than your 4 iron if you bend it. 

As a side note, I was wondering myself how to get a little more launch with my longest iron (4). I play PX myself and was curious to try the the new PX IO in the 4 iron only. If you look back at an old TW spec sheet, he used to play PXi in his 2 iron. Maybe something you want to try instead of getting a new club? 

Cobra RAD XB 9* - AD TP 6TX/ Cobra SZ Big Tour 13.5* - Tour AD TP 8X / Callaway Apex Hybrid or Titleist U510 20* - Tour AD IZ 95X

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4,5 / MP20 6-P - Project X 6.5 / Vokey SM8 50.08F, 56.12D, 60.08M - Project X 6.0

TM TP Juno or Spider Tour Black / Bridgestone BX

19 minutes ago, cw1209 said:

I get it. I only play 1 club in the "3 iron" slot, hybrid or driving iron. Not sure what your gaps look like. Nice thing is you can bend the loft easily on a U-500 to fit that gap better. Maybe the U-500 3 iron bent a degree or two weak would work? Only concern is it will have a little less offset than your 4 iron if you bend it. 

As a side note, I was wondering myself how to get a little more launch with my longest iron (4). I play PX myself and was curious to try the the new PX IO in the 4 iron only. If you look back at an old TW spec sheet, he used to play PXi in his 2 iron. Maybe something you want to try instead of getting a new club? 

I've sort of just become accustomed to my setup, which is 3 wood/2 hybrid/3 iron and 3 wedges, though I can see the potential benefit of moving to 4 wedges. 

It looks like the IO is an evolution of the PXi, definitely an option to consider in a long iron. I don't have an issue with launch, more concerned with general forgiveness of a blade vs. a utility type long iron. 

• Like 1

Mizuno MP-20 3-9 PX 6.5

On 3/26/2021 at 10:22 AM, Gnomesteel said:

Appreciate all the input. I'm leaning towards a combo set of 4-5 HMB and 6-PW MB. My thinking is if I'm going for the extra help in the long irons might as well go all the way to the HMB. We'll see how the fitting goes though. I really want to get whatever gives me the best numbers. 

I've been considering this same combo for months now, with 5 hmb at 1 degree weak and everything else stock, resulting in 4 degree gaps throughout. My only concern is the potential distance gap between 5 hmb and 6mb. The alternative that I'm considering is 4 hmb, 5 mmc at 1 degree weak, 6 mmc at 2 degrees weak, and stock blades from 7-pw. Unfortunately, it's impossible to try any clubs these days so I'm forced to decide and place my order blind.

Edited by Jonclare