Can any equipment junkies explain the difference between some stock shaft options in the G425 driver line? Got fitted into the Tour 65 x-stiff but the Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 seems to be more readily available in retail stores. Other than the weight, how are the shafts different and would I experience a performance drop off?

2008  Burner: Soon to be G425 LST 10.5 w/ Ping Tour 65 X-stiff

G425 2 hybrid - Ping tour 85x

Mizuno 921 forged w/kbs c taper lite x-stiff (4-GW)

random wedges

TM Spyder

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Check out the chart at this link:     It looks like the Rogue White and Tour 65 should have very similar performance, but I've not hit either so I don't know how the feel of the two sh

I tried all of the stock shafts for the G425 in S flex when I went through a fitting/testing.    Alta CB - good feeling, predictable, not whippy feeling given the extra 1/2" length Tens

Funny, I found the exact same with the stock shafts as well. The Rogue & Tour shafts for me were predictable and the Alta was a bit more lively in a good way if that makes sense. The Tensei was a

Check out the chart at this link:

It looks like the Rogue White and Tour 65 should have very similar performance, but I've not hit either so I don't know how the feel of the two shafts compares.

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST, 8.5*, OG Aldila NV 75s
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP 25, 4&5 iron, DG X100 SSx1
Mizuno MP 5, 6-PW, DG X100 SSx1
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled CC, 53* & 58* (DG S300)
Piretti Potenza II Rev 2.0, 375g, 34"
Srixon Z Star Tour Yellow

Interesting point made in the other thread regarding the accross sensor in the butt of the grip. It's not something I would use so will have to keep this in mind when I can finally go shopping. I believe they're saying the sensor thickness is taken into account for shaft length and removing this will shorten the playing length?

I tried all of the stock shafts for the G425 in S flex when I went through a fitting/testing. 

Alta CB - good feeling, predictable, not whippy feeling given the extra 1/2" length

Tensei - somewhat sloppy and unpredictable, generated a 2-way miss, low launching and high spin, felt a lot like the PX EvenFlow Blue in my M5 (not what I'm looking for)

Ping Tour 65 - very positive feeling shaft, good launch and spin, easy to play a slight push-draw

Rogue 70 - same results as the Ping Tour 65, felt slightly smoother than the Ping Tour

The decision was between the Ping Tour 65 and Rogue 70 with the winner being the Rogue. I felt like I knew exactly where the club head was at any point from takeaway to contact. On paper the Rogue shouldn't "fit me" because of the low launch characteristics, but it was the easiest to swing with some of the most consistent results.

• Like 1

Signature!

Ping G425 Max 10.5

Ping G425 Max 5W

Ping G425 3H

Ping i210 4-W

Cleveland RTXZipcore 54 Mid & 60 Full Face

Ping 2021 Anser

1 hour ago, ChrisLC40 said:

I tried all of the stock shafts for the G425 in S flex when I went through a fitting/testing. 

Alta CB - good feeling, predictable, not whippy feeling given the extra 1/2" length

Tensei - somewhat sloppy and unpredictable, generated a 2-way miss, low launching and high spin, felt a lot like the PX EvenFlow Blue in my M5 (not what I'm looking for)

Ping Tour 65 - very positive feeling shaft, good launch and spin, easy to play a slight push-draw

Rogue 70 - same results as the Ping Tour 65, felt slightly smoother than the Ping Tour

The decision was between the Ping Tour 65 and Rogue 70 with the winner being the Rogue. I felt like I knew exactly where the club head was at any point from takeaway to contact. On paper the Rogue shouldn't "fit me" because of the low launch characteristics, but it was the easiest to swing with some of the most consistent results.

Funny, I found the exact same with the stock shafts as well. The Rogue & Tour shafts for me were predictable and the Alta was a bit more lively in a good way if that makes sense. The Tensei was a two way miss and left me disappointed.

Edited by jbandalo
  • Like 1

DRIVER - PING G425 MAX

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G425 MAX 5W

IRONS - PING i210 3-9

WEDGES - PING GLIDE 3.0 46, 50, 54 & 58

PUTTER - SCOTTY CAMERON NEWPORT 2

47 minutes ago, jbandalo said:

Funny, I found the exact same with the stock shafts as well. The Rogue & Tour shafts for me were predictable and the Alta was a bit more lively in a good way if that makes sense. The Tensei was a two way miss and left me disappointed.

Same results for me too during my fitting. Ended up in Rogue. Took a ton of spin off and offered a mid launch for me. All that equaled distance. Smooth is the best word to describe the Rogue shaft. Have mine set in draw setting and htting a nice reliable long draw off the tee.

• Like 1

I've read differing opinions, so can anyone confirm that the Ping Tour 65 in Reg is counter balanced? I am ordering an Accra TZ6 CB just to test out with that head. 

Has anyone had any experience with the TZ6 CB in how high its balance point is?

I have a g400 max with a tour 65 in stiff and the SW is still really high - D5-6 but as with all WRXers I am already abandoning it for the G425 😉 

Thank you 🙂

10.5* Ping G425 Max. Accra TZ6 CB
14.5* Ping G425 Max. Aldila Rogue white 130 MSI 70g
20.5* Ping G425 Max. Aldila Rogue white 130 MSI 80g
21* Titleist TS2. MRC Tensei CK Pro blue 80g
5i-9i Srixon Z5 (Modus 120)
P-AW Srixon Z7 (Modus 120)
56* Cally XForged MD S grind 56/14; 60* Cally Mack Daddy 2 60/9T
Ping Cadence Ketsch  
Pro V1 or Z star; GP NDMC; Titleist Players glove; Ping Hoofer lite or Ping Pioneer with Clicgear 3.5+

5 hours ago, rwhitlock said:

Hello all you smart fellers 🙂

Quick question regarding the Aldila Rogue 130 MSI White shaft that comes as a stock offering.  Is this the same shaft that sells online for $300 ?  Or is this shaft made from 'lesser materials' and just branded the same?

Thanks,  Rod

It is the real deal shaft.

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST, 8.5*, OG Aldila NV 75s
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP 25, 4&5 iron, DG X100 SSx1
Mizuno MP 5, 6-PW, DG X100 SSx1
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled CC, 53* & 58* (DG S300)
Piretti Potenza II Rev 2.0, 375g, 34"
Srixon Z Star Tour Yellow

• 2 months later...

Same results for me too during my fitting. Ended up in Rogue. Took a ton of spin off and offered a mid launch for me. All that equaled distance. Smooth is the best word to describe the Rogue shaft. Have mine set in draw setting and htting a nice reliable long draw off the tee.

hmmm. I have experienced exactly the same thing. I had so much hope for the Tensei, especially after seeing the video of TXG. But the Tensei is a disaster for me, short, barely launch and snap hooks. The Alta is much more lively. It seems like the Tensei is ideal for certain golfers, not for me anyway. I had always thought fitting was unnecessary when you know your swing. Unfortunately, I don't see it that way today. You should get fit, it's not hype. 

Ping G400 Max - 9*
Ping G400 FW 3
Ping G400 FW 5
Ping G400 Hybrid 4
Ping I500 5-UW 
Ping glide 2.0 ES - 54° - 58°
Putter Scotty Cameron Golo 5
Bridgestone B330 RX

Just had my first round with my g425 lst, went with alta cb x flex, way too soft at the tip, need to find something more stable, might have to take the hzrdus yellow out of my ts4 and throw it in the ping.  Head felt great though.

Ping G425 LST 9*

Ping G425 LST 14.5*

Ping G425 Crossover 18*

Titleist T100 3-GW

Titleist Vokey SM8 54* & 60*

Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser

Vessel Cart Bag

On 6/8/2021 at 6:54 AM, cuprogolf said:

Same results for me too during my fitting. Ended up in Rogue. Took a ton of spin off and offered a mid launch for me. All that equaled distance. Smooth is the best word to describe the Rogue shaft. Have mine set in draw setting and htting a nice reliable long draw off the tee.

hmmm. I have experienced exactly the same thing. I had so much hope for the Tensei, especially after seeing the video of TXG. But the Tensei is a disaster for me, short, barely launch and snap hooks. The Alta is much more lively. It seems like the Tensei is ideal for certain golfers, not for me anyway. I had always thought fitting was unnecessary when you know your swing. Unfortunately, I don't see it that way today. You should get fit, it's not hype. 

IMO, the Tensei line is SO confusing, and has been from the beginning. From the “pro” line vs. standard, to the visual difference between the pro and standard lines, to this new Raw line. The long and the short is that only the “tx” flexes in the new Raw line have the high quality materials, stiffer tip, boron prepreg, etc. Ping offers some quality standard shafts in the Alta, Rogue White 130 and even the Ping Your line, and then the dud of the Raw line.