2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Clubs for the high-speed low-skill player?

betarhoalphadelta

I'm now about 8 months back into the game of golf after a 5 year layoff, and minimal rounds the 5 years before that. 

I was last fit for clubs in late 2001, so my bag is 20 years old. 

Golf club tech has made quite a few advances in the last 20 years, and I'm just going to say that my body tech has NOT made any advances over that same time; quite the opposite!

I'm currently playing to almost a 24, but I've committed to putting in both the practice time and the playing time to improve my game, including lessons. Over the next year, I think I've got plenty of opportunity to get myself playing into the mid-teens. I've played more rounds in the last 8 months than I have in the last decade+, same with the range, which I can easily get to multiple times a week as opposed to never, and this is something that I foresee continuing even as the world reopens. 

Getting to mid-teens isn't me trying to be over-confident, it's looking at my actual game and realizing I'm leaving PLENTY of strokes on the course based not even on skill, but on practice and consistency. I realize that going from a 23-24 to a 16 is a LOT easier than going from a 16 to a 10, but a reduction in blow-up holes and turning a few doubles into bogeys by cleaning up mistakes can get me to that mid-teen range... It's more about a "suck less" strategy than "get really good" strategy lol...

That said, for all the defects I have in my game--and there are many--a lack of speed is not one of them. I'm not sure where I'm at on driver, but I had a lesson last Friday and was peeking at my Trackman numbers while warming up with a 7i and was swinging about 90 mph with 170 carry on the shots I actually hit off the center of the face. I'm 6'5" and 260#, I grew up doing martial arts so I have some flexibility, and at 42 years old I'm still strong enough to get the club head moving pretty darn well. Consistency? No. Speed? Yes.

At my height, size, and strength, I know the obvious answer--get a fitting. My personal attributes put me a few standard deviations outside the mean, so I know full well OTR clubs will never work for me. I plan to do that later this year as I ingrain the consistency of the changes I'm getting via lessons, and replace my whole bag. After 20 years, I suppose it's time.

That said, I'm wondering what sort of basic category of clubs I should be looking for--specifically irons. For a fitting I feel like I may need to narrow it down a bit. With my cap I would normally think SGI makes sense--I can use all the forgiveness I can get. But it seems like SGI irons are intended to help players get a high launch--I have enough speed to get that without special technology. My playing partners talk about how high I hit it (full disclosure--I've got a minor flip move that I'm trying to correct so my dynamic loft is too high), and even down to my 3i when I flush it I get plenty of height. I don't need technology to get the ball elevated; I need it to help me minimize the damage of mishits. 

So I worry that SGI clubs are built to elevate the ball for folks who swing their driver 90mph, not their 7i... But at the same time I'm not the sort of dumb &#*@ who thinks I should be playing blades. In between I hear of GI, I hear of players distance irons, I hear of cavity back (which are my current 20 yo irons), etc. 

What is the best category of irons for someone who has the speed to elevate the ball, but needs the forgiveness to help with off-center hits? 

• Like 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

2001 ping i3 were fresh so ping s55 s56 ping G irons?

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

11 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

I'm now about 8 months back into the game of golf after a 5 year layoff, and minimal rounds the 5 years before that. 

I was last fit for clubs in late 2001, so my bag is 20 years old. 

Golf club tech has made quite a few advances in the last 20 years, and I'm just going to say that my body tech has NOT made any advances over that same time; quite the opposite!

I'm currently playing to almost a 24, but I've committed to putting in both the practice time and the playing time to improve my game, including lessons. Over the next year, I think I've got plenty of opportunity to get myself playing into the mid-teens. I've played more rounds in the last 8 months than I have in the last decade+, same with the range, which I can easily get to multiple times a week as opposed to never, and this is something that I foresee continuing even as the world reopens. 

Getting to mid-teens isn't me trying to be over-confident, it's looking at my actual game and realizing I'm leaving PLENTY of strokes on the course based not even on skill, but on practice and consistency. I realize that going from a 23-24 to a 16 is a LOT easier than going from a 16 to a 10, but a reduction in blow-up holes and turning a few doubles into bogeys by cleaning up mistakes can get me to that mid-teen range... It's more about a "suck less" strategy than "get really good" strategy lol...

That said, for all the defects I have in my game--and there are many--a lack of speed is not one of them. I'm not sure where I'm at on driver, but I had a lesson last Friday and was peeking at my Trackman numbers while warming up with a 7i and was swinging about 90 mph with 170 carry on the shots I actually hit off the center of the face. I'm 6'5" and 260#, I grew up doing martial arts so I have some flexibility, and at 42 years old I'm still strong enough to get the club head moving pretty darn well. Consistency? No. Speed? Yes.

At my height, size, and strength, I know the obvious answer--get a fitting. My personal attributes put me a few standard deviations outside the mean, so I know full well OTR clubs will never work for me. I plan to do that later this year as I ingrain the consistency of the changes I'm getting via lessons, and replace my whole bag. After 20 years, I suppose it's time.

That said, I'm wondering what sort of basic category of clubs I should be looking for--specifically irons. For a fitting I feel like I may need to narrow it down a bit. With my cap I would normally think SGI makes sense--I can use all the forgiveness I can get. But it seems like SGI irons are intended to help players get a high launch--I have enough speed to get that without special technology. My playing partners talk about how high I hit it (full disclosure--I've got a minor flip move that I'm trying to correct so my dynamic loft is too high), and even down to my 3i when I flush it I get plenty of height. I don't need technology to get the ball elevated; I need it to help me minimize the damage of mishits. 

So I worry that SGI clubs are built to elevate the ball for folks who swing their driver 90mph, not their 7i... But at the same time I'm not the sort of dumb &#*@ who thinks I should be playing blades. In between I hear of GI, I hear of players distance irons, I hear of cavity back (which are my current 20 yo irons), etc. 

What is the best category of irons for someone who has the speed to elevate the ball, but needs the forgiveness to help with off-center hits? 

I don't think you have to worry about SGI irons launching the ball too high. Most of them are lower lofted to counter act that. My suggestion would be to demo clubs that you like the look of and gives you the right amount of forgiveness vs playability.

Then I would get fit based off of what you already like - this will help the fitter narrow down your options.

LTDx LS 11.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 15* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH

Speed is good! Hitting the ball far makes the game easier.

the only thing you don’t want to get would be distance irons, as it will create huge distance gaps, especially at your skill

level.

honestly, for irons a regular game improvement iron will Be fine... something like a cobra tech would be fine. 

just make sure you get shafts that feel good and launch how you want on good swings.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Thanks. Good to know that SGI won't necessarily be bad for me--that opens up pretty much anything.

And yeah, shafts are going to be interesting. Right now I'm in NS Pro 950gm stiff, considered ultralight for steel, on my current irons, yet because of the length (+1.5") they're sitting at an E0 swing weight. Club static weight being pretty close to what would be considered normal. I think I measured the 7i at about 421gm static weight. From my fitting 20 years ago, I doubt this is as optimal of a shaft as I could be playing--I think the fitter had to find a solution to keep the swing weight from getting totally out of hand.

I might end up having to go with one of the clubmakers that has an option for lighter heads for over-length clubs, to keep the SW down and get into an optimal shaft. 

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

22 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Thanks. Good to know that SGI won't necessarily be bad for me--that opens up pretty much anything.

And yeah, shafts are going to be interesting. Right now I'm in NS Pro 950gm stiff, considered ultralight for steel, on my current irons, yet because of the length (+1.5") they're sitting at an E0 swing weight. Club static weight being pretty close to what would be considered normal. I think I measured the 7i at about 421gm static weight. From my fitting 20 years ago, I doubt this is as optimal of a shaft as I could be playing--I think the fitter had to find a solution to keep the swing weight from getting totally out of hand.

I might end up having to go with one of the clubmakers that has an option for lighter heads for over-length clubs, to keep the SW down and get into an optimal shaft. 

I’m 6’4 and “only” play 3/4 over standard... obviously everyone is different, but you want to play the shortest length you are comfortable with... long shafts in your wedges make things far more challenging.

best static fit isn’t necessarily your best club fit... I’ve played and tried between 1/2 to 1 inch over length, and while the longer clubs felt better at address, the shorter clubs were much easier to get along with.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Agreed. I'm not just flat out assuming I'll end up at +1.5". 

I've also wondered about going a little longer in the wedges and short irons than typically, but with reduced gapping of 3/8" or 1/4" between irons in the set so the longer irons aren't as much over-length. I'll have a lot to talk with the fitter about when it comes to length. 

• Like 1

Choosing golf clubs/shafts/balls  is ultimately a very personal choice. After you have played a bit more you will learn what you like for your game.

If I was to suggest a category of clubs it would be used clubs.

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

3 minutes ago, Itsjustagame said:

Choosing golf clubs/shafts/balls  is ultimately a very personal choice. After you have played a bit more you will learn what you like for your game.

If I was to suggest a category of clubs it would be used clubs.

Yeah, that's the hard part. I may get thrown off WRX for saying this, but I don't want to be on the constantly-revolving golf club carousel. 

It's more that I'd rather buy the right thing once and then live with that for a decade. Note: that doesn't mean I need the latest-and-greatest. If a fitter has some aging inventory that works and they're willing to make a deal on, I'm not going to be a snob and against the idea because the 2021 model is just SO much better than the 2019 model... I'm playing 20 year old clubs now lol!

I'm not against the idea of used clubs either... The question I have is where would I find used clubs with specs that are even remotely close to what I need for my size/weight/strength? 

For example I just googled "where to buy used clubs" and it pointed me to 3Balls and Callaway Pre-owned. But looking at sets in that +1" range on 3Balls there's only one iron set, and two in the +0.5" range. Callaway I expanded the search to +3/4, +1, and +1 1/4, and I got more sets, but they were almost all Apex / Apex Pro / Apex MB, which probably aren't good given my need for forgiveness. As much as I see that Apex Pro 4-PW in KBS Tour 130 Steel at +1" in X-Stiff calling my name, I don't think it's a good purchase lol 😉

There is a Steelhead XR Pro set 4-PW in +1 with the TT XP 105 in S300 flex at a +2* lie angle (similar to my current set) on there at a pretty reasonable price... <$400. But I don't know if the Steelhead XR Pro is still a little too aggressive for someone who needs forgiveness...

• Like 1

I am in a similar boat as you (same age but 5 foot 9 and 165lbs). 

I started playing again after 20+ years away and was super erratic.  Luckily, I have good swing speed; I am at 91-92mph with a 7-iron and typically see 290-320 yardage with my new (to me) driver.  Trouble is though, with that swing speed, when you are offline, you are WAY offline, and you definitely don't want SGI irons.  I am consistently 175 with my 7-iron but can carry 185 if struck perfectly with my Mizuno MMCs: the last thing you want is a 200-yard 7-iron.  I figured I was playing to about where you want to be (15-17) but when I uploaded my last 10 rounds to thegrint, I was surprised to see that it only takes your "best rounds".  I got from where you are (shooting mid to high 90s with the occasional 110) to my current 8.1 in a few months with a same base, so you may very well improve more quickly than you think!  The game is a lot easier if you are constantly hitting in PW into a long par 4 and chipping from 20 yards for your 3rd shot on a par 5.   It is also a lot harder if you constantly find trouble. 

As far as clubs go: I didn't find anything that really helped. I tried everything.  The best thing was having a stout shaft that helped with my timing, but really, refining my swing and chipping more consistently was what mattered.  I am now hitting 60% fairways when it used to be 25% of I was lucky.    

Just make sure you have a suitable shaft and don't sweat the clubs; you can pick up something appropriate here (if you can find the right length) and work on that swing!  Work with a coach and get a repeatable backswing and then build out timing from there.  Plus, if you have muscle imbalances or other issues, see a certified McKenzie physical therapist.  They are great with back mobility and stability issues.  

First off, take a tune-up lesson. As farmers would say, your swing has "gone fallow" for five years. Make sure you don't have old wobbles that will hold you back.

Next, look at both SGI and GI clubs. SGI irons can go too high for some people. Several years ago I went from stiff back to regular flex clubs. And, I found some of the SGI clubs just hanged up the short iron and wedge shots too high.

GI clubs, with the right shaft, are more what tests out well with me. As far as GI vs. Players Distance, the GI clubs may not go quite as far, but would tend to have tighter range dispersions club to club.

So, get some lessons, test out clubs, and see which ones outperform your current mix. 

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

1 hour ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Yeah, that's the hard part. I may get thrown off WRX for saying this, but I don't want to be on the constantly-revolving golf club carousel. 

It's more that I'd rather buy the right thing once and then live with that for a decade. Note: that doesn't mean I need the latest-and-greatest. If a fitter has some aging inventory that works and they're willing to make a deal on, I'm not going to be a snob and against the idea because the 2021 model is just SO much better than the 2019 model... I'm playing 20 year old clubs now lol!

I'm not against the idea of used clubs either... The question I have is where would I find used clubs with specs that are even remotely close to what I need for my size/weight/strength? 

For example I just googled "where to buy used clubs" and it pointed me to 3Balls and Callaway Pre-owned. But looking at sets in that +1" range on 3Balls there's only one iron set, and two in the +0.5" range. Callaway I expanded the search to +3/4, +1, and +1 1/4, and I got more sets, but they were almost all Apex / Apex Pro / Apex MB, which probably aren't good given my need for forgiveness. As much as I see that Apex Pro 4-PW in KBS Tour 130 Steel at +1" in X-Stiff calling my name, I don't think it's a good purchase lol 😉

There is a Steelhead XR Pro set 4-PW in +1 with the TT XP 105 in S300 flex at a +2* lie angle (similar to my current set) on there at a pretty reasonable price... <$400. But I don't know if the Steelhead XR Pro is still a little too aggressive for someone who needs forgiveness...

CPO will adjust club length and lie angle - often at no charge.

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

Good thought on lessons... Monte is local to me so I went to go see him for the first time last Friday. I've spent two months trying to work out some swing changes and he turned me around in an hour lol. Gonna work on what I learned for the next 4-8 weeks and probably go back for a tune up there. 

What stores actually have the ability to let you hit clubs, preferably for free, and preferably with a launch monitor so I can actually compare various shafts/etc? I've got a PGA Tour Superstore pretty close, there are a few Roger Dunn shops around, but the nearest Golf Galaxy shops are an hour's drive w/o traffic, so that's out. 

• Like 1

No to PGASS: they will probably put you in the wrong club.  If you can figure out what shaft specs you need: buying a used set in that length is easy. Just find the heads you want and you are good!  

Given your height and swing speed, definitely an X-stiff.  Do you have an idea of the shaft weight you prefer?  I would think that a 105g shaft may be too light; pretty much any of the correct weight and flex shafts will likely work for you at this point.  

A few I have tried and liked:

Modus 130x

DG X100

DG X100 120g (what I swing)

Project X 6.5 (or LZ if you have a smoother swing)

Tour AMT white

KBS $ taper 125/130

I am not super particular with shafts: I just find that anything too light and too soft doesn't work. When you get more in tune, you could probably refine your shaft choices.  

Since I am a few months ahead of you on the schedule, I can say definitively that getting a pro fitting and paying a ton for custom clubs is a WASTE of TIME at this point.  Your swing will change over these next few months.  Mine certainly has.  Wait until your swing is more repeatable and improvement isn't happening so quickly before you buy. Otherwise, you will end up like my buddy Carlos: he is about to buy his 3rd set in a year.  He started with Sim heads, then moved to P790, and now needs a traditional loft GI with X-stiff shafts.  He has purchased 3 drivers as well.  His SS is up there with yours.  

I like my clubs reasonably well but will wait until I am consistently around 80 before paying for a pro fitting.  Back when I used to ski race, I remember a fellow camper telling us "everyone thinks they need to be on Hermann Maier's skis, only to get our butt completely kicked by the camp coach skiing off the shelf GS skis while wearing soft coaches' boots and hacked up poles. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RoyalMustang said:

No to PGASS: they will probably put you in the wrong club.  If you can figure out what shaft specs you need: buying a used set in that length is easy. Just find the heads you want and you are good!  

Given your height and swing speed, definitely an X-stiff.  Do you have an idea of the shaft weight you prefer?  I would think that a 105g shaft may be too light; pretty much any of the correct weight and flex shafts will likely work for you at this point.  

BTW my question about PGASS is purely about whether they'll let me swing some sticks for free. If I were to get fit, I'm going to get fit at my local clubfitter rather than a big box store. 

I figure I want to try some various clubs with shafts on a legit launch monitor so I actually have a sense of how these shafts respond. 

As mentioned, I think due to my height and SS I might need something more stiff than most, because as you add length you basically reduce effective stiffness (right?). But the downside to additional length is swing weight, so going to a heavy shaft (unless the heads are lighter than standard) could put me into sledgehammer territory. 

I will say that I'm not thinking I need to avoid fitting because of my lack of skill... I've been playing golf since before I was 10, and my basic fundamentals were set when I took lessons as a teen. So once I iron out this swing change (which is going well so far) I don't think the basic fundamentals of my swing (and the club requirements therein) will change much as my index comes down. 

1 minute ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

BTW my question about PGASS is purely about whether they'll let me swing some sticks for free. If I were to get fit, I'm going to get fit at my local clubfitter rather than a big box store. 

I figure I want to try some various clubs with shafts on a legit launch monitor so I actually have a sense of how these shafts respond. 

As mentioned, I think due to my height and SS I might need something more stiff than most, because as you add length you basically reduce effective stiffness (right?). But the downside to additional length is swing weight, so going to a heavy shaft (unless the heads are lighter than standard) could put me into sledgehammer territory. 

I will say that I'm not thinking I need to avoid fitting because of my lack of skill... I've been playing golf since before I was 10, and my basic fundamentals were set when I took lessons as a teen. So once I iron out this swing change (which is going well so far) I don't think the basic fundamentals of my swing (and the club requirements therein) will change much as my index comes down. 

Yeah, PGATSS will let you hit for free. No worries there!  

I can say that my swing has changed a ton though (I started at 12, played to 15, then took off 20+ years). I am more powerful than a few months back, and smoother.  I had a $50 driver fitting and taht shaft would have been entirely unsuitable at this point

I’m 6’4” and play +1/2”. I’m an 11 handicap but not a great ball striker. I had ping i210s but just swapped them out for the g425 irons and put modus 120s in them to keep the flight down.  I feel like I get the flight I want from the shafts and the forgiveness I need from the iron. I’m also finding it easier to work the ball, likely because I’m catching more of the much bigger sweet spot. I’m loving this game improvement setup with lower flighted shafts. 

If your swing is changing the club fitting would need to change at some point.

I would look for smaller cb with between S and X shafts. I'm a 15 and play small component blades for the mid irons down to wedge and cb's for the long irons.

I would look at used clubs until you feel your swing is where you want it to be.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

I'm not too worried about a major change in my fitting due to the swing mechanics I'm working on... It's more sequencing than a massive change.

That said, this isn't exactly a short-term question. I'll probably wait several months to ingrain the swing changes before I pull the trigger on a fitting, and that may include additional lessons in case there are more tweaks I need. 

Part of it is that I kinda just want to screw around and hit some clubs, see what's out there, see what I like, etc...

That Mizuno shaft optimizer might be a great thought... Thanks @forrester_fire -- That could at least put me in the ballpark if I decided to buy an interim set used. 

4 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

I'm not too worried about a major change in my fitting due to the swing mechanics I'm working on... It's more sequencing than a massive change.

That said, this isn't exactly a short-term question. I'll probably wait several months to ingrain the swing changes before I pull the trigger on a fitting, and that may include additional lessons in case there are more tweaks I need. 

Part of it is that I kinda just want to screw around and hit some clubs, see what's out there, see what I like, etc...

That Mizuno shaft optimizer might be a great thought... Thanks @forrester_fire -- That could at least put me in the ballpark if I decided to buy an interim set used. 

I play component clubs which are inexpensive but good quality. I like small irons with little offset. I use the FST115 shaft which I have tipped between S and X but it can be tipped XX if one wants to.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

22 hours ago, chipa said:

I play component clubs which are inexpensive but good quality. I like small irons with little offset. I use the FST115 shaft which I have tipped between S and X but it can be tipped XX if one wants to.

I still don't understand offset... That'll have to be one of the things I learn before I get around to buying clubs. 

Not sure you and I are in the same wheelhouse when it comes to clubs. I saw your "lag" thread. We might be close in swing speed, but I'm about a foot taller and 100 lbs heavier, so I suspect we get there in different ways lol...

I haven't decided whether I care about huge club heads... I know some people call them shovels, and prefer something smaller/thinner, but I'll play whatever I think gets me the best chance at hitting GIR...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So... offset. I don't get it.

Supposedly offset is good for bad players. They say it makes the club more forgiving and gives you an extra split second to close the club face.

Well, I'm a bad player, so I've got the first one down. But I don't have any trouble closing the clubface. My standard path is in-to-out, and my miss is more likely to be a pull hook. Occasionally if I don't close the face enough I'll get a slight push, but never a weak wipey fade or slice. I literally cannot remember the last time I sliced a golf ball, but I can look at my last range session and last round to find several big hooks.

It seems like I should prefer a club with less, rather than more, offset... Yeah? Or no?

• Like 1

Get Ping G425's. Loft them strong (power spec lofts). Ping can make them over length and keep swing weight manageable too.  You'll have to deal with some pretty visible offset in the long irons.

I'm 6'5", 49, started "back" like you about 7-8 years ago, and have gone from a low 20 to a high single digit. I started with Ping, i20's, then dumped them for more forgiving G30's and now have G410's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

So... offset. I don't get it.

Supposedly offset is good for bad players. They say it makes the club more forgiving and gives you an extra split second to close the club face.

Well, I'm a bad player, so I've got the first one down. But I don't have any trouble closing the clubface. My standard path is in-to-out, and my miss is more likely to be a pull hook. Occasionally if I don't close the face enough I'll get a slight push, but never a weak wipey fade or slice. I literally cannot remember the last time I sliced a golf ball, but I can look at my last range session and last round to find several big hooks.

It seems like I should prefer a club with less, rather than more, offset... Yeah? Or no?

I don't know a ton about offset and have read the same things... if you are in to out and can close the club face, I don't think they are going to provide much value... the higher launch is also less valuable, as if you are swinging fast, the clubs will launch just fine. 

How goes your game? Have you tried much stuff? Plenty of good options out there.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

13 hours ago, Myherobobhope said:

I don't know a ton about offset and have read the same things... if you are in to out and can close the club face, I don't think they are going to provide much value... the higher launch is also less valuable, as if you are swinging fast, the clubs will launch just fine. 

How goes your game? Have you tried much stuff? Plenty of good options out there.

Game is doing alright... Was out at the range a few times last week. Took my son Sunday morning and split a bucket. Definitely figuring a few things out and my contact consistency is improving. On hiatus until this coming Sunday when we'll go play 9 at the little exec course, and then hope to get to the range once or twice next week before a "real" round next weekend. 

I ordered an indoor putting mat from Amazon that's due here on Thursday, so I'm going to start working on rolling putts pure with a line on the ball and hoping that it won't wobble when struck. Also bought some "pocket bunkers" from Amazon which are supposed to help practice sand play without sand. Part of that was for my son because his first ever round he couldn't get out of bunkers lol...

As for clubs... Haven't tried anything yet. I'm not really ready to pull the trigger on irons until the summer at the earliest, and I figured I should keep working what I'm working on my swing before bothering a fitter, even if it's just to use the Mizuno shaft optimizer. 

I'm beginning to think I'm just going to stay away from SGI though. I mean, I currently play CBs and I can get them elevated without a problem, and if my more common miss is left I don't think I need loads of offset. I'll have to try some of these new hollow body player's distance and GI irons and see what suits me. I do like the look of the Sub70 699 Pros too 😉

• Like 1

FWIW, I'm 6'8" 245#'s with an athletic build. 39.5" or so WTF measurement. 100+ MPH driver swing speed. Current hacker working hard to improve my swing. Fitted for irons a month ago and ended up feeling best with a 7i at 38.5" (1-1/2" over standard), 120g X-stiff shafts (DG x100) and midsize grips. This all led to a club on the heavier side, but that also felt great. I was honestly surprised on the length. Figured I would be no more than plus 1" over standard. I'm going with component clubs (Maltby) as a cost saver, but also based on the numerous positive reviews I've read on here and elsewhere. Currently waiting on a test 7i to be build with the FST Pro 125 shaft in X-stiff. This is a shaft that plays soft to flex, but I've been working hard on moderating my tempo and not ripping the club back down so hard/aggressively. This should fit me more into a S/X shaft. Nice thing about it is I'm in only about $65 for a test club.

You mentioned earlier in this thread about smaller progressions between clubs. I'm doing this exact thing. Most likely 1/4" progression, but still considering 3/8" progression. This will progress from the plus 1-1/2" over standard 7i both ways. This gets me the longer short irons I need without getting stupid long long irons. 1/4" progression only lengthens the 4" by 3/4" over standard but my wedges would be 2-1/4" over standard. Getting the length were I need it and not where I don't.