Clubs for the high-speed low-skill player?

Shaft is super import and has been beaten to death here. You'll find that with the right shaft you'll have a lot more consistency in the X, Y and Z axis. The PGATSS guys may hate you, especially if you visit often, but that's the reason they are there. Leaving a tip helps mollify their ire 😄. The next best thing you can do is find a fitting demo day at a local club that will let you try things off actual grass. I can't stress enough how important this is. 

I had a similar issue to you, I'm 6'3" and athletic with a fast swing speed-- driver at 112 avg 70% effort-- but am still developing the ball striking consistency. I started playing "seriously" in the past year and saw leaps in my game. I struggled to find something that would work for my game. I wasn't particular to looks for the most part and was open to different brands. I found that SGI or GI just didn't work for me. I was hitting 207y 7i with the Mavrik with launch that was way too high. I would have been screwed 150y and in without having a rack of wedges. The Mav Pro and the Apex '19 stabilized a lot for me when I tested them. While it's counter intuitive, I found a sweet spot in the player's distance category. Gained a little feel with the forged faces, and still have the forgiveness of off-center hits. If you do have the opportunity to test a few out, throw them in the mix. Cally just came out with the Deep Cavity Back that sounds like it may fit your requirements and split the difference for your needs.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Wilson D7 Forged 4-G w/ KBS Tour | Epic Flash 3h w/ Tensei Silver

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line Center Shaft

Upgraded to the #ThreePuttPrince. 👑

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I still don't understand offset... That'll have to be one of the things I learn before I get around to buying clubs.    Not sure you and I are in the same wheelhouse when it comes to clubs.

I measured WTF this morning, had to make adjustments because I hadn't put shoes on and was trying to measure myself, but it came out to closer to 41"... Which seems too high. I'll probably have to hav

I'm now about 8 months back into the game of golf after a 5 year layoff, and minimal rounds the 5 years before that.    I was last fit for clubs in late 2001, so my bag is 20 years old. 

53 minutes ago, BigTerp1524 said:

FWIW, I'm 6'8" 245#'s with an athletic build. 39.5" or so WTF measurement. 100+ MPH driver swing speed. Current hacker working hard to improve my swing. Fitted for irons a month ago and ended up feeling best with a 7i at 38.5" (1-1/2" over standard), 120g X-stiff shafts (DG x100) and midsize grips. This all led to a club on the heavier side, but that also felt great. I was honestly surprised on the length. Figured I would be no more than plus 1" over standard. I'm going with component clubs (Maltby) as a cost saver, but also based on the numerous positive reviews I've read on here and elsewhere. Currently waiting on a test 7i to be build with the FST Pro 125 shaft in X-stiff. This is a shaft that plays soft to flex, but I've been working hard on moderating my tempo and not ripping the club back down so hard/aggressively. This should fit me more into a S/X shaft. Nice thing about it is I'm in only about $65 for a test club.

You mentioned earlier in this thread about smaller progressions between clubs. I'm doing this exact thing. Most likely 1/4" progression, but still considering 3/8" progression. This will progress from the plus 1-1/2" over standard 7i both ways. This gets me the longer short irons I need without getting stupid long long irons. 1/4" progression only lengthens the 4" by 3/4" over standard but my wedges would be 2-1/4" over standard. Getting the length were I need it and not where I don't.   

I measured WTF this morning, had to make adjustments because I hadn't put shoes on and was trying to measure myself, but it came out to closer to 41"... Which seems too high. I'll probably have to have someone who knows it correctly to measure me, and to do so with the shoes. 

I'm at +1.5" right now, but I think it's more likely I'll end up closer to +1" when all is said and done. But I do really like the idea of less progression between clubs. 

18 minutes ago, AcesAndHoles said:

Shaft is super import and has been beaten to death here. You'll find that with the right shaft you'll have a lot more consistency in the X, Y and Z axis. The PGATSS guys may hate you, especially if you visit often, but that's the reason they are there. Leaving a tip helps mollify their ire 😄. The next best thing you can do is find a fitting demo day at a local club that will let you try things off actual grass. I can't stress enough how important this is. 

I had a similar issue to you, I'm 6'3" and athletic with a fast swing speed-- driver at 112 avg 70% effort-- but am still developing the ball striking consistency. I started playing "seriously" in the past year and saw leaps in my game. I struggled to find something that would work for my game. I wasn't particular to looks for the most part and was open to different brands. I found that SGI or GI just didn't work for me. I was hitting 207y 7i with the Mavrik with launch that was way too high. I would have been screwed 150y and in without having a rack of wedges. The Mav Pro and the Apex '19 stabilized a lot for me when I tested them. While it's counter intuitive, I found a sweet spot in the player's distance category. Gained a little feel with the forged faces, and still have the forgiveness of off-center hits. If you do have the opportunity to test a few out, throw them in the mix. Cally just came out with the Deep Cavity Back that sounds like it may fit your requirements and split the difference for your needs.

Player's distance hollow body seems to be considered a more forgiving design these days than cavity back, no? 

I'm also thinking I'm in the wrong shaft right now. I'm playing Nippon 950 in stiff, which I think the original fitter did to get my swing weight down. Maybe that was right 20 years ago, but it's now considered an "ultralight" shaft... The Sub70 simple fit calculator says I need X, and I suspect I would have no trouble with a heavier shaft--sometimes too light causes tempo issues. 

Need to get to a store and swing some S and X with higher weights and see how they feel. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Player's distance hollow body seems to be considered a more forgiving design these days than cavity back, no? 

I'm also thinking I'm in the wrong shaft right now. I'm playing Nippon 950 in stiff, which I think the original fitter did to get my swing weight down. Maybe that was right 20 years ago, but it's now considered an "ultralight" shaft... The Sub70 simple fit calculator says I need X, and I suspect I would have no trouble with a heavier shaft--sometimes too light causes tempo issues. 

Need to get to a store and swing some S and X with higher weights and see how they feel. 

You would think so! PD are generally considered more forgiving but I think Cally tried to appeal to a very specific market of higher handicappers that wanted a forged iron. They're downright chunky and definitely in the GI category from visuals and the reviews I've read. I've only hit the '19 Apex and the Mavrik line so I can't fully comment on the new stuff but it's food for thought; just a name to add to the list. If I had to pick some PD based on what I've hit,  I'd recommend the 919 Forged, Apex, D7  Forged, and the T200s in that order. Hit a P790 for comparison, but I really don't think it measures up. 

The 950 is definitely on the light end. I started with $-Taper Lite shafts in X even though I was fitted to 125-130g shafts purely because I liked the heavier feel of the club head. Many trials and tribulations later I now play a 125g S+ that was SW to D3 and haven't looked back. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Wilson D7 Forged 4-G w/ KBS Tour | Epic Flash 3h w/ Tensei Silver

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line Center Shaft

Upgraded to the #ThreePuttPrince. 👑

6 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

I measured WTF this morning, had to make adjustments because I hadn't put shoes on and was trying to measure myself, but it came out to closer to 41"... Which seems too high. I'll probably have to have someone who knows it correctly to measure me, and to do so with the shoes. 

I'm at +1.5" right now, but I think it's more likely I'll end up closer to +1" when all is said and done. But I do really like the idea of less progression between clubs. 

Honestly, I think weight plays a bigger factor than flex... I’ve played a variety of flexes and “should” be in an X flex... 

just keep trying stuff and see what works... sub70 is a good option, especially for trying stuff.

As of 1/24/21

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with RipX

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-GW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I started playing a year and a half ago with an old set and X100 shafts but then changed the shafts to something softer and lighter and have had three different sets of component iron heads. Also, the shafts proved to be too soft as my swing technique developed so I went back to an X shaft but about 15 grams lighter than the X100's. At first I didn't like the shafts but that changed. I think anyone who is starting to play golf and is serious about improving will have to make equipment changes as their swing progresses.

Mazel 10.5 deg Accuflex Ultraboom X, i-Drive 2h Accuflex 82g X, Acer XV Pro/Tour 4i-S, FST 115 SX, TM TPA X

19 hours ago, Myherobobhope said:

Honestly, I think weight plays a bigger factor than flex... I’ve played a variety of flexes and “should” be in an X flex... 

just keep trying stuff and see what works... sub70 is a good option, especially for trying stuff.

I agree that the weight of the shaft has more effect than the flex. You can probably make the wrong flex work, but the wrong weight will really mess you up.

• Like 1

Seems like you have a ball striking problem.  At your ss, you should probably go with x flex.  Which irons to play are up to you.  GI irons would improve off center hits quite a bit distance wise.  However, some higher handicap players still prefer players cbs or even blades.  If offset and a thick top line aren't your thing, then you should look into better player irons. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

23 hours ago, Pinky5 said:

A buddy of mine is in the same boat as you. He just got the new Sim2 max irons and it improved his game dramatically. His mishits are a ton better than they were before. Just a data point for you. The new clubs and technology is incredible.

The new GI irons definitely have advantages but I think the higher ss players generally hook the ball (like me) and thus the GI irons with their considerably more offset only make hooking worse, as I found out.

Mazel 10.5 deg Accuflex Ultraboom X, i-Drive 2h Accuflex 82g X, Acer XV Pro/Tour 4i-S, FST 115 SX, TM TPA X

18 minutes ago, Pinky5 said:

I agree that the weight of the shaft has more effect than the flex. You can probably make the wrong flex work, but the wrong weight will really mess you up.

Yeah, I'm going to have to check out PGATSS, do the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer, and probably try some clubs on hand with various shafts to make sure they feel right. I'm sure going from 95gm to something in the 120 or higher range will be a very strange adjustment.

Also thinking about doing a demo of the Sub70 699 Pro in Xstiff which is the KBS Tour X. Hoping it won't screw me up because they only do standard length and lie... 

13 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Seems like you have a ball striking problem.  At your ss, you should probably go with x flex.  Which irons to play are up to you.  GI irons would improve off center hits quite a bit distance wise.  However, some higher handicap players still prefer players cbs or even blades.  If offset and a thick top line aren't your thing, then you should look into better player irons. 

Yeah, ballstriking is exactly what I'm working on. I really like the Sub70 699 Pro, which is considered Player's Distance but everything I read online suggests that forgiveness is almost GI level. Especially on toe hits, which is a common miss for me. And for the price... Not sure it can be beat. I think I want to stay away from the 699 due to the offset...

35 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Yeah, I'm going to have to check out PGATSS, do the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer, and probably try some clubs on hand with various shafts to make sure they feel right. I'm sure going from 95gm to something in the 120 or higher range will be a very strange adjustment.

Also thinking about doing a demo of the Sub70 699 Pro in Xstiff which is the KBS Tour X. Hoping it won't screw me up because they only do standard length and lie... 

Yeah, ballstriking is exactly what I'm working on. I really like the Sub70 699 Pro, which is considered Player's Distance but everything I read online suggests that forgiveness is almost GI level. Especially on toe hits, which is a common miss for me. And for the price... Not sure it can be beat. I think I want to stay away from the 699 due to the offset...

Yep, it's whatever suits your eye and your comfortable with.  If you practice the the right things and play enough, your handicap will go down.  As far as Sub70 irons go, they are very affordable like New Level which is what I play.   

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

My buddy is a big guy and high cap.  He smacks the ball but doesn't have much in the way of control, struggles with consistency and doesn't use the sweet spot much as opposed to the surrounding area.  I think his irons are middle of the line TM. 

Don't let your ego drive your club choice, unless you're going to put in the hard work that goes with playing certain clubs.  Figure out your golf goal then focus on it.

Determining flex is a variable, since you could probably do well with either "S" and in some profiles "X".  I would NOT suggest SGI club heads and wouldn't suggest lite weight shafts, least at this juncture.  The rest is a GI crap shoot around preference.  

Last, be careful when choosing a fitter.  Make sure he's got a real honest to goodness reputation on experience. 

• Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17' 2i "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1x, AVX, ProV1
4 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

With your clubhead speed I would recommend avoiding players distance clubs because the reality is they will spin less and you will have a harder time stopping them compared to traditional irons. Also, I have a high ss but have opted to swing 80% with my irons because I just need to have my yardages accounted for up to 215. At any rate it doesn't matter anymore what is stamped on it, Cobra and Callaway long ago did away with that with their arms race.

The only thing I care about hitting far is off the tee.

6 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Longer clubs, heavier shafts and stand closer to the ball. That's from a fellow tall golfer going through the same odyssey of ball striking.  Stick with the heavy shaft. You're plenty strong enough to swing it all day long, and if you're not now, you will be in six months.  It'll mitigate the lefts.  A club like Ping G series will be the most forgiving thing you can play, saving you strokes, especially with those toe hits.  I still regularly have misses that are only halfway on the grooves out on the toe and barely lose a club length and are only 10 yards right.  The forgiveness is worth the offset.

The only other clubs I'm considering since I get sick of the offset too are Mizuno JPX 921 Pro's.  Game improvement forgiveness with very little offset. But I don't know how they compare to Ping G series on forgiveness.

1 hour ago, chipa said:

With your clubhead speed I would recommend avoiding players distance clubs because the reality is they will spin less and you will have a harder time stopping them compared to traditional irons. Also, I have a high ss but have opted to swing 80% with my irons because I just need to have my yardages accounted for up to 215. At any rate it doesn't matter anymore what is stamped on it, Cobra and Callaway long ago did away with that with their arms race.

The only thing I care about hitting far is off the tee.

I gotta hit the green before I worry about stopping it lol. With my CB irons I'm 20 yards short on toe hits.

6 minutes ago, LCP said:

Longer clubs, heavier shafts and stand closer to the ball. That's from a fellow tall golfer going through the same odyssey of ball striking.  Stick with the heavy shaft. You're plenty strong enough to swing it all day long, and if you're not now, you will be in six months.  It'll mitigate the lefts.  A club like Ping G series will be the most forgiving thing you can play, saving you strokes, especially with those toe hits.  I still regularly have misses that are only halfway on the grooves out on the toe and barely lose a club length and are only 10 yards right.  The forgiveness is worth the offset.

The only other clubs I'm considering since I get sick of the offset too are Mizuno JPX 921 Pro's.  Game improvement forgiveness with very little offset. But I don't know how they compare to Ping G series on forgiveness.

I'm excited to try something heavier. I do feel like it'll suit me better.

On 4/6/2021 at 9:09 AM, BigTerp1524 said:

You mentioned earlier in this thread about smaller progressions between clubs. I'm doing this exact thing. Most likely 1/4" progression, but still considering 3/8" progression. This will progress from the plus 1-1/2" over standard 7i both ways. This gets me the longer short irons I need without getting stupid long long irons. 1/4" progression only lengthens the 4" by 3/4" over standard but my wedges would be 2-1/4" over standard. Getting the length were I need it and not where I don't.   

How are you addressing lie angles across those progressions? I would think you can't just have a blanket lie adjustment as it's based on 1/2" progression in length...

15 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

I gotta hit the green before I worry about stopping it lol. With my CB irons I'm 20 yards short on toe hits.

I wouldn't equate mishits and hitting it fat as swing faults, just the hand eye coordination can take months to come back after a long layoff, in my case almost a year.

Also, you might try swinging at 80% with the irons. Since I started back playing this has helped me tremendously, plus getting the right offset and shaft flex for me.

Finally, you could post a swing video, I have and have gotten some useful comments that have convinced me I need to make significant changes to my backswing. BTW, I never worry about my downswing anymore I long ago figured that was a sure fire way to hurt myself and lose distance.

Edited by chipa

15 minutes ago, chipa said:

I wouldn't equate mishits and hitting it fat as swing faults, just the hand eye coordination can take months to come back after a long layoff, in my case almost a year.

Also, you might try swinging at 80% with the irons. Since I started back playing this has helped me tremendously, plus getting the right offset and shaft flex for me.

The mishits and hitting it fat aren't themselves a swing fault, they're the outcome of a swing fault. Based on the results of my lesson, my swing fault makes it really hard to have consistent low point control, and thus consistent contact. 

I'm already seeing improvement by fixing the root cause, just need to ingrain it. 

I have noticed that with some of the drills I do, when I am swinging about 85-90% the ball goes just as far as what I used to think was a "full" swing, and does so more consistently. When I look at it on video, it's because my "full" swing is too long--I get well past 90 degree shoulder rotation. I get just as much power stopping the backswing a tiny bit shorter, and way more consistency. 

So I've been working on that. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

How are you addressing lie angles across those progressions? I would think you can't just have a blanket lie adjustment as it's based on 1/2" progression in length...

I'm not, at least not initially. I'm getting everything built to standard lie. Once I get comfortable with the increased length and am swinging them good, I'll do the sharpie test to check dynamic lie and have them adjusted as needed.

18 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

I have noticed that with some of the drills I do, when I am swinging about 85-90% the ball goes just as far as what I used to think was a "full" swing, and does so more consistently. When I look at it on video, it's because my "full" swing is too long--I get well past 90 degree shoulder rotation. I get just as much power stopping the backswing a tiny bit shorter, and way more consistency. 

So I've been working on that. 

This is one of the biggest things I've realized lately as well. I've been rebuilding my swing since January and was terribly long with a lot of overrun in the backswing. I also had a really fast tempo. I based my rebuild on Monte's NTC, which shortened my backswing. Recently I really focused on slowing my tempo. The combination of a shorter backswing and slower tempo has made everything  much more efficient and just feel "better" overall.

I hit the PGATSS today hoping to use the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer. Unfortunately all of their iPads were in use and couldn't do so... Guy said "I can fit you pretty much as well as that", and I was already there, so I figured I'd see what I can do.

He measured WTF and judged I needed +1", which is difficult as they don't have many shafts available for that. I told him my current shaft was a Nippon 950 Pro in stiff, so he was saying "well, we can start at the 95 and maybe 105 gram shafts" and I told him I was thinking about trying something heavier.

He started me with the JPX921 Hot Metal head on a DG S300 105 +1" shaft. It was ok, but felt SUPER light to me. We moved up to a Modus 120 S +0.5" because it was the longest he had, and it felt much better. I had some low-face misses that might have been due to the lack of length, but on good strikes was hitting 130 mph ball speed.

Problem was that almost EVERYTHING was left. Start left and curve farther left. 190 yd 7i that finishes 58 yards left of target. WTF? I know I have a left miss, but I never miss left that consistently. It was only a few rare strikes that even started on the target line. I don't know what to make of that at all... 

The good news is that when I start looking at clubs I'll know not to be afraid of going up from a 95gm shaft to something in the 120-130gm range. He basically said that with that ball speed, I might even be in the X, but he didn't have anything to try. 

I also tried the JPX921 Forged, and it looked like a scalpel next to the ball. Tried the JPX921 Hot Metal Pro which was a little better, but still seemed pretty tiny. I suppose I'm not going to be hitting blades any time soon...

Overall I guess I got what I paid for lol...

• 3 weeks later...

How much does shaft length affect swing speed and distance, all other things (clubhead, loft, etc) being equal?

I ordered the 699 Pro demo clubs in X flex, as well as the 699u 3i, but all they have are standard length and lie for demos. They arrived Tuesday afternoon and I got some range time in with them yesterday [and will go back again today].

Overall, I liked them so far. Low offset and the KBS Tour X in 130gm felt great, and I didn't find myself turning everything left. The 699u had more of a draw, but the 699u also has a lot more offset. They make a 699 Pro utility with less offset, but it wasn't on the demo program.

It took a while to adjust to the length--at the beginning I was hitting everything with low trajectory and topping quite a few... But once I started adjusting and hitting the sweet spot, the trajectory was right. 

However, I had NO distance. My 9i distance was carrying 10-15 yards shorter than my current 9i. 6i was tough to gauge (I started off my range session hitting everything, including my own clubs, terribly, and hadn't gotten used to the 6i length until after I had switched to practicing other clubs). The 3i had nice trajectory, but my 3i is usually a 220ish carry and this was more like 200. I suspect, even though the 699 Pros aren't what I would call "loft jacked", that they are club-for-club stronger lofts than I currently play. So I would expect more carry than my clubs...

These clubs are 3 clubs shorter in length than what I play, as my clubs are +1.5". The 3i is my 6i length. The 6i is my 9i length. The 9i looks like a child's toy in my hands. 

A 3-club iron difference on the Trackman PGA tour averages is a 6-7 mph clubhead speed difference, pretty consistent across the set. So should I assume every 0.5" is about a 2-2.5 mph loss, and thus I'm losing distance just because of club length? Or should I assume I'm swinging slower because of the heavy shaft and maybe I've bitten off more than I can chew?

D41Fl0GW4AQIbSV.jpg

Take the standard lengths for these clubs and you'll see the approximate increase in speed based on length.  Adding 1.5" in length to clubs sounds like it will make them harder to hit.  Personally I'd see if you can find a way to tolerate shorter clubs.  I wouldn't worry about distance anyway.  With your speed you should be more concerned with trajectory, direction, and consistency.   

Edited by MattC555

G410 10.5 Tensei Orange S - SIM2 HL 3W VENTUS BLUE 6 S - Titleist 915 2H Red Board S - Mizzy MP 68 S300 - Clev 588 Forged Wedges - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

Personally, I think you need to find a good fitter.  You are way outside rack clubs. 

G410 10.5 Tensei Orange S - SIM2 HL 3W VENTUS BLUE 6 S - Titleist 915 2H Red Board S - Mizzy MP 68 S300 - Clev 588 Forged Wedges - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, MattC555 said:

Take the standard lengths for these clubs and you'll see the increase in speed based on length.  Adding 1.5" in length to clubs sounds like it will make them harder to hit.  Personally I'd see if you can find a way to tolerate shorter clubs.  I wouldn't worry about distance anyway.  With your speed you should be more concerned with trajectory, direction, and consistency.   

Thanks. Looks like where I estimate my driver carry to be, carrying a 140y 9i and a 200y 3i would be pretty expected.

Problem is that I rarely hit my driver... If I try to nuke it into the next county, my carry distance would be somewhere in the 110-120 mph ranges shown... But when I try to nuke it into the next county, I'm much more likely to top in short of the ladies' tee lol... When I take a nice easy swing, I'd say my carry is maybe 250ish.

So that would indicate my current club distances benefit from my over-length clubs.

I'm likely to drop to a +1" club from +1.5"... But at my height (6'5") I just feel hunched over with standard length, especially with those short irons. 

15 minutes ago, MattC555 said:

Personally, I think you need to find a good fitter.  You are way outside rack clubs. 

Certainly true. I just hate the idea of going to a fitter and then taking all their recommendations and going to a DTC company to buy. I realize I'm paying for the fitting so I shouldn't feel bad about that... 

Edited by betarhoalphadelta
clarity

Yeah, just pay for the fitting.  That way both sides get a fair shake.  Keep swinging under control.  Your speed will increase as your control gets better. 

10 hours ago, MattC555 said:

Personally I'd see if you can find a way to tolerate shorter clubs.

This is possibly the stupidest comment in the history of the internet. Hey, tall guy, remove some vertebrae. That's my idea. Stretch your arm bones a few inches. That's my other idea.  If that doesn't work, get on your knees when you swing. Fit your body to one-size-fits-all standard club length is what I demand! Listen to me.

10 hours ago, LCP said:

This is possibly the stupidest comment in the history of the internet. Hey, tall guy, remove some vertebrae. That's my idea. Stretch your arm bones a few inches. That's my other idea.  If that doesn't work, get on your knees when you swing. Fit your body to one-size-fits-all standard club length is what I demand! Listen to me.

Calm down Gru, go hug a minion.