2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Bad scores and changing ones attitude

platgof

I used to be able to play in the mid eighties, but something happened and not sure when it did, but my focus is gone. Now I am struggling with much higher scores than ever before. I know age has a hand in it, but this has really came as a total surprise. I am going to have to just have my friends understand that something happened, and they can forget any competition from my game, it is gone. I have been shooting 91 or higher lately, and really just hoping it is a phase, but I really fear the worst. So from now on I will just play to enjoy the game and nothing more. I can still play fast, but the scores will be much higher. Plus I am giving up on the white tees and just play senior tees only. It is what it is, and unless some change takes place for the better, it is what it is going to be like for awhile. 

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

Work with the pro at your course.  So easy to get out of position in your setup and develop swing faults without realizing it.

• Like 4

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 8.5° A-1 setting Graphite Design YS-6+ 65g stiff

Wood:  Titleist 980F 17° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 21° Aldila Voodoo stiff 

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

Which aspect of your game are you struggling? I struggled (still do) with my driver and putter that had a negative effect on my game last season to where I felt the same as you? There was a point where I didn't know what would happen to the ball as I was standing over it anywhere on the course. From ending the previous season in the mid 80's, to mid 90'2 low 100's!!! Was so lacking in confidence and thought I could play my way through it. But a quick lesson with my pro, and some rounds where I took the driver out of the bag helped me get some confidence back that I saw some gradual improvements which culminated in a good end to the season.

Cobra Aerojet LS Driver/3 Wood Kai'li Blue/White S

Cobra Aerojet 5W at 19.5 deg - Kai'li Blue S

Srizon ZX 4 iron - Recoil 95 F4

Cobra MIM Tour 5-PW - Recoil 95 F4

Cleveland 50 RTX 6 Zipcore, Callaway Jaws 56

Cleveland 60 CBX Zipcore

Odyssey WhiteHot OG Double Wide/Cleveland Frontline 8

And this is another reason I quit keeping score a long time ago. I feel like my game has improved quite a bit in the last 6 months. Went from losing 4+ balls a round to maybe 2 lost. If that isn't measurable progress, I don't know what is.

If I kept score, I might not feel so great about my game. But I don't, so I do. I am playing a round after lunch today.

• Like 2

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

I always play horrible during winter, can't handle the cold weather specially early in the morning when grass still frosty. Every year is the same thing but I still enjoy it since I rather be playing than doing anything else. 

• Like 1

TM Stealth 2+ 9 Fuji Ventus Black 6X

TM Stealth + 13.5 HZRDUS Blue 70 6.5

TM SIM UDI 2i HZRDUS Black 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 MK2 4-PW Modus 120X

Vokey SM10 50.08F/56.12D/60.08M S400

SC SS Squareback 2

I feel like my game is improving, but my scores are not. Since I still have a handicap goal in mind I will keep trying to improve my scoring, but I am learning to not beat myself up about it like I usually do. 

• Like 1

PXG 0211 12° driver with Project X Cypher shaft
Maltby KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft
Srixon Z355 22° 7 wood w/Miyazaki Jinsoku shaft
Maltby KE4 TC 19° and 22° 3 and 4 hybrids w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

Maltby KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid with KuroKage Black shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid 
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

Cleveland CBX2 50° GW w/Rotex wedge flex shaft
Maltby M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
Cleveland  Huntington Beach Soft Premier 10.5

It is not the clubs, but the space between the ears. I had aspiring thoughts of dropping my handicap, but that is gone. I am going through short game "time out". I have totally lost the connection to the ground. I will go see the pro and see what he thinks. Maybe too much stress with what is happening lately??? But age is definitely becoming a factor.  

• Like 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

10 hours ago, lefthack said:

And this is another reason I quit keeping score a long time ago. I feel like my game has improved quite a bit in the last 6 months. Went from losing 4+ balls a round to maybe 2 lost. If that isn't measurable progress, I don't know what is.

If I kept score, I might not feel so great about my game. But I don't, so I do. I am playing a round after lunch today.

I don't understand the point of hitting a ball around a golf course without keeping score. You aren't playing golf if you don't keep score. 

• Like 1

I shot one of my worst rounds in months a few weeks ago, a 95, took about a week break from the game didn’t even touch my putter. Came back practiced for about 2 days, had a session with my coach, played a round and shot 78. I am a fairly inconsistent player sometimes I will shoot 77 the next week it will be an 85 but every time I get in a serious funk I take a break and come miraculously back to normal.

Driver: TM SIM 2 9* w/Diamana S+ Limited 60g

Wood: TM SIM Max 15* w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 60g

Hybrid: TM SIM Max 19* HB w/HZRDUS Black Smoke 85g

Irons: TM p750 4-PW w/TT Dynamic gold X100 TI

Wedges: Nike SV Tour 52* w/TT Dynamic gold s400,

Vokey SM8 56* & 60* w/SM8 Stock Shafts

Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Mid

Ball: Titleist Pro V1/Bridgestone Tour B X

I go through rough patches where someone else has taken over my golf swing - and he is a really shi**y golfer.

Sometimes I’ll just not keep score for a while until I feel things are improving. It just takes any pressure out of the game and allows more focus on the swing itself, so of like practice playing.

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

On 3/24/2021 at 10:32 PM, platgof said:

I used to be able to play in the mid eighties, but something happened and not sure when it did, but my focus is gone. Now I am struggling with much higher scores than ever before. I know age has a hand in it, but this has really came as a total surprise. I am going to have to just have my friends understand that something happened, and they can forget any competition from my game, it is gone. I have been shooting 91 or higher lately, and really just hoping it is a phase, but I really fear the worst. So from now on I will just play to enjoy the game and nothing more. I can still play fast, but the scores will be much higher. Plus I am giving up on the white tees and just play senior tees only. It is what it is, and unless some change takes place for the better, it is what it is going to be like for awhile. 

Classic golf blues. One round of just hitting some solid shots and you’ll wonder why you wrote this. 

10 hours ago, lefthack said:

I don't understand the point of keeping score if the score gives me nothing in the end. Maybe you get a check every week based on your score?

I enjoy trying to get the ball in the hole in the fewest strokes possible. But beyond the hole I'm actually playing, what I got prior is irrelevant. What I get next is anybody's guess. It's really fun.

I'm not playing for money, or prizes, or trophies, so my score is of no concern. It has zero impact on my salary or way of life.

You can call it whatever you want. 

<edit> I'm playing Saturday, maybe I'll keep score and I can post it and see who is really awesome. 🤣

Agree there.  Nothing at all wrong with that.  

Anytime I hit a real slump , I stop writing down score.  I can go back snd recall it if I really want to , but it’s not helpful.     Focus on making a good smooth move , and wait for the bad patch to end.  Nobody needs a score looking at them saying “ you suck “ on top of the disconnect.   

This is rare for me though as I do love to grind and try to shoot a score. But once or twice a year I’ll wake up and feel like I’m in someone else’s body.  Probably shouldn’t even play.  But if I do , I don’t want to see a score. 

• Like 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

It's a very vicious cycle to once be considered by your peers as a pretty good stick and one day be standing on the tee and not have a clue where it's gonna go. I recently went through this and really attributed it to getting older and slowing down and trying to find a way to keep the game I had when I was younger. I ended up trying things that I knew deep down were wrong but offered a drink from the fountain of youth. It rarely if ever works or at least didn't work out for me. I was angry and felt absolutely worthless for a time. I stopped playing for a month or so and seriously considered giving up the game I've loved for over 40 years.

After my pity party was over I dug out "Five Lessons", "The inside moves the outside", and "Encyclopedia Texarkana", and read them again, and again. I started back from scratch, grip, alignment, stance, ball placement, etc. I went to see Geoff for a re-boot, and then I went to work. Since the first of the year I've hit over 20K balls and 10K of those since March 1st. I'm now trending back in the right direction and my last revision has me in plus territory for the first time in two years and coincidentally I shot my best score recently for the same time period.

So finally, I can say I've come to grips with I'm no longer a 120 mph swinger and have had to figure out how to make the best use of what I have left. I've had to work my xa** off to get back to the swing I trust and can now focus on playing golf instead of golf swing. It's been a laborious process but in the end (to me) it's been worth it. And you can do this as well. But first you have to accept it for what it is and then go to work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

Chances are that you were used to making a certain compensation for a certain flaw(s) in your swing and now that you are older, you are physically unable to make that same compensation anymore.  Best bet is to work with a good instructor and be extremely patient with the change and eventually you will get better.  

As far as focus is concerned...Next time you play try this....If there is a feel you are working on, rehearse it once or twice in the preshot routine....exaggerate the heck out of it.  As soon as you address the ball, try 1 of 2 things....either simply think about where you want the ball to go...or think about trying to feel the same move when you swing....for the 2nd one....Let's say you are working on getting your arms to work out more to start the downswing....it feels way over the top when you do it right....so you rehearse a swing or two feeling that to the extreme...then when you get over the ball and swing you try to feel like you are going over the top...you aren't thinking "arms out away from me"  or move arms toward 2:00, etc....you are just trying to make an over the top swing....It's hard to explain on here but I hope that helps.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

Played yesterday and did well for a few holes, so there is hope. I am having mental lapse issues that comes with age and it hits my concentration level the most. I will have to deal with this like anything else, learn to adapt to new short comings in life. I was actually surprised to get a few pars in. 

Bag is in overhaul mode

Grinding for 4+ hours straight is too tiring. Between shots, hum a song, enjoy the scenery, chat with your playing partners, etc. Once it’s your turn to play, re-focus for the 10-15 seconds it takes to hit or putt. Rinse & repeat. Also, I used to chew some gum that had some natural ingredients proven to improve concentration. I forgot what it was called but I think some pro shops carry it.

Edited by 95124hacker
  • Like 2

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

On 3/26/2021 at 9:49 AM, nitram said:

It's a very vicious cycle to once be considered by your peers as a pretty good stick and one day be standing on the tee and not have a clue where it's gonna go. I recently went through this and really attributed it to getting older and slowing down and trying to find a way to keep the game I had when I was younger. I ended up trying things that I knew deep down were wrong but offered a drink from the fountain of youth. It rarely if ever works or at least didn't work out for me. I was angry and felt absolutely worthless for a time. I stopped playing for a month or so and seriously considered giving up the game I've loved for over 40 years.

After my pity party was over I dug out "Five Lessons", "The inside moves the outside", and "Encyclopedia Texarkana", and read them again, and again. I started back from scratch, grip, alignment, stance, ball placement, etc. I went to see Geoff for a re-boot, and then I went to work. Since the first of the year I've hit over 20K balls and 10K of those since March 1st. I'm now trending back in the right direction and my last revision has me in plus territory for the first time in two years and coincidentally I shot my best score recently for the same time period.

So finally, I can say I've come to grips with I'm no longer a 120 mph swinger and have had to figure out how to make the best use of what I have left. I've had to work my xa** off to get back to the swing I trust and can now focus on playing golf instead of golf swing. It's been a laborious process but in the end (to me) it's been worth it. And you can do this as well. But first you have to accept it for what it is and then go to work.

Very good post.  

It constantly amazes me how this game can change.   Or how your game changes with your body etc. and often times in sections.  

let’s just say that I now understand why tiger says “ I can’t swing like tiger 1997 anymore.  That  guys gone “.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Played today and a lot better. Started out with a double because I forgot how to putt, but I will take 43 for sure. Walked nine and that was a blast, the weather was perfect. It could not have been better. Hit driver really good. I hit some bombs today; for me anyways. The warm weather really loosened me up. It was pure sunshine and 64*F, perfect. I was not striking the rest of the clubs that well. I was totally blown away with the driver, just totally unreal.  First hole was a mess, but after that very good. I hope this continues?? I really like the sand wedge. 

Bag is in overhaul mode

On 3/25/2021 at 5:31 PM, platgof said:

It is not the clubs, but the space between the ears. I had aspiring thoughts of dropping my handicap, but that is gone. I am going through short game "time out". I have totally lost the connection to the ground. I will go see the pro and see what he thinks. Maybe too much stress with what is happening lately??? But age is definitely becoming a factor.  

I'm going through a similar phase, though it sounds like you may be older than me ( 59). But in the past two years all my parents died (3), Covid is going to kill me on my job ( Radiology) then in June, a guy pulled out in front of me and totaled my truck and gave me a couple of injuries.

I was handling the stress/trauma of life stuff pretty well until the car accident. That kinda sent me over the cliff....

After that, my mental focus unraveled, especially noticable on the course. The injuries haven't helped either as my swing lost some speed.

But really, the focus is the major problem with my game, and my last sub 80 round was in July and it's been low 90's since with lots of big numbers on the card, when I used to maybe have two double a round, max.

I don't have a answer for you, but I can sympathize.....

Edited by RainShadow
  • Like 2

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

Right there with you OP. Have been playing some stellar golf the past month or so and yesterday got in a negative mentality on very bad drives and some push slices, and it stayed with me the entire round. I had some great shots peppered in the round but I was too sour about the bad shots to recover. Going to get some practice in today in the net and try to be positive when I get on the course again Tuesday and consider yesterday a blip.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple D w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 70TX @45.25

3W: Taylormade M2 15* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 80X.

5W: Taylormade M6 18* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 90 TX.

Irons: Miura Retro Tournament blades 3i, 4i, and 7i. Miura MB-001 5i, 6i, 8i-PW. 3i with MMT 125TX. 4i-PW are Oak doweled, DG X100 Tiger Stepped 1/4”

lofts: 3i: 20* 4i: 24* 5i: 28* 6i: 32* 7i: 36* 8i: 40* 9i: 44* PW: 48*

Wedges: Fourteen RM4 56* DG X7, Miura 59* At 61* DG X7

Putter: Taylormade Spider

Grips: Golf pride MCC+4.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

I just went through a 2 month slump at age 48. I also attributed it to my deteriorating physical capabilities and just an overall crappy swing. I shot 79 and 80 on a 141 slope rated course and then things all of the sudden went south. I was struggling to make contact with the ball and shot about 20 rounds in the 90's over that 2 month span. Lost a bunch of money to my friends at our weekly Nassau game and just lost all confidence. 

I have significant lower back issues that restrict my swing. I swing it around 90-95mph off the tee. I had already fully accepted my short hitting distance compared to my friends but I recently started playing with some old golf buddies from 15 years ago. We started up a 12 man league and I begun to hit a lot of balls in the hopes of figuring out my swing. It led to worse and worse results. It turns out that pounding balls into my simulator was actually making me worse. Chasing distance and thinking that merely pounding balls would somehow miraculously help me to get better via the brute force method. Well my wrists and elbows and back slowly weakened and that led to so many micro compensations for my loss of distance. That led to erratic shots and and a death spiral that basically killed my confidence. 

I've recently been coming out of the slump. I stepped away for a week and just let me body heal and reset. I have mentally accepted that I cannot hit 200 balls per day like i did in my youth. I have put up some decent scores lately with a 96 sprinkled in to keep me humble....but that was after my second moderna shot which whipped my Word not allowed for the entire friday before I tried to tee it up on saturday morning. In any case, i found a way to reset and regain some confidence back. Not to mention i got me a new SIM2 Max driver and 3 wood which have been an absolute jackpot for me. Best driver I have hit in 25 years and I'm that guy that get a new driver every 18 months only to figure out that the new driver hits exactly the same distance as my previous 10 drivers. Not in this case. I was fitted perfectly for the SIM2 Max with a regular ventus shaft and I'm loving that part of the game again. 

• Like 2

Over the last couple months, I've realized the mental game is such an important aspect, especially with course management.

I'm a bogey golfer, but until recently I always was playing for bogey even when out of position, this lead to compounding errors and big numbers that ruin your score. I took a look back at my stats and realized I make 3-5 pars a round. Realizing this I can then make 3-5 double bogeys a round a still shoot a bogey golf 90. So I went on an adventure to take out the big numbers and see what would happen. I saw three things happen:

My variability in scored tightened significantly. 

My worst days I'm still keeping below where my worst days were prior. Point being we all have a slump somewhere that creeps up on us. Best we can do, at last mid round is play the safer shot and not compound until the slump is fixed.

Third,mentally I told myself not to be mad at a double just move on to the next hole next shot. It the proof showed on my Saturday round. I had 0 pars, just a bad day, but nothing worse than a double and I was able to keep it under 100. Before old me would press my game knowing I can make pars and maybe I'd get an extra one in, but I'd also let those big numbers creep up. 

2 hours ago, Itsjustagame said:

Pro's regularly shoot rounds that are 6/7 strokes different. If you are in that range you are as good as they are.

And they make Doubles or more as well. Just don't let it dictate the rest of your round whether you have 1 more or 17 more holes, just accept it for what it is and move on.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

• 2 weeks later...

After work yesterday I did okay. My playing partner shot 45 on nine to win by one, as I totally had a disconnect again for a double. Then went par, par, bogey par, then another double on the start of the back nine. It was late so the game was ended. I was surprised by those pars, there is hope. I did get my second Modera shot, so there is that. Last time I felt sick for two days, and have not fully recovered, tiredness. 

Bag is in overhaul mode