Most Money You Have Ever Won or Lost In A Day of Golf?

GoletaGolfer

What is the most amount of money you have ever won or lost in a day on the golf course? Circumstances and details if you desire to share those. What was your annual income at the time?

Rules:

1. You had to have actually paid your debt if you lost, or been paid in full if you won.

2. No lying - we will know.  🙂

Several years ago I was invited to play at Earl Grey in Calgary.  The group I played with asked if I would like to join their money game.  I was a bit hesitant but thought it would be rude to say no.  At the end of the round we were having drinks in the clubhouse and the guys handed me $600.  I thought we were just playing for a dollar of two.  Lesson learned, ask how much before you commit to a money game.

• Like 1

PXG Gen6 0311 9.0 with Aldila Rogue MSI125 stiff

PXG 0211 3 and 5 woods

PXG 0317CB with Project X LZ 6.0

Bettinardi Queen Bee B11

I’m a fan of having multiple money games going in a group.  

The thing about multiple games is unless you’re completely laying the sod over it that day you’ll cancel out some losses/wins across the games.  

my largest net win/loss is around $300 - which could have been much worse/better depending on how the games shook out - total dollars on the table were much greater than that.  

As for income, golf gambling funds are just that and have no bearing on the balance of my life financially - my Venmo is my golf gambling slush fund.  

$900something in a section event when I was an assistant pro, that was more than 2 weeks salary at the time. I thought I was rich. 

As far as money games go, I never got too deep in any of them, $50 range won and lost. When I was young I saw a few big money games at our home course go south in a hurry and a few lifelong friends hate each other so I never got into it past about a $10 1 down automatic.  

Never played for money, sometimes well do a closest to, for who buys the coffees on the way home if we've driven there together. So I've lost 1.85$ a few times for a medium dark roast 😆

• Haha 2

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

5.00 lost. I play friendly golf and I’m cheap.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

$72, when I thought we were playing for a buck a hole. 

That was the day I learned what "automatic one down presses" means. 

• Haha 4

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

About $50 both ways.

Losing $$. Circa 2000, I was invited by a co-worker to play Lawton CC in southwest Oklahoma. We were playing a paired Nassau plus an individual skins game with two guys he knew from the area.

It was a long day for me. My best showing was four pars, which at least one of the others always matched. Five skins were had - I got none - and my partner and I lost the Nassau. In total, I was out about $50.

Most galling part was a par 3 where I was the only one to hit the green. I had a 12-foot putt up a slight terrace. My ball hits a bump going up, and rolls back down off the terrace. Then, an out-of-towner sinks an 8i chip shot from deep rough for a birdie (terrible club choice I thought, but his line drive hit the flag stick dead center and it rolled down into the cup.) 

Winning $$. Playing with my local seniors group a couple of years ago. We played four-man teams with a modified Stableford scoring system, an individual skins game, and an individual low-putt bonus.

My team won the four-team Stableford score, and I had two out of four skins on the day. I basically won back the ~ $50 I lost in 2000.

(Let's not talk about time-value-of-money...)

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Maybe 10 years ago I was invited as a guest to a top 100 club, basically the member host was repaying my father a favor by inviting me. I was told to "bring a lot of cash."

It was me, the host, and two of his buddies. We played a match where it was myself and the host against his two buddies. We both played terribly (I was so nervous that my game basically devolved into field hockey) and lost the match every way possible. My half of the team loss was $200. I didn't even know I had that much on the line, I didn't hear the stakes in the pre-round discussion and just assumed we were playing for something more like $25, which was probably the most I had ever played for before then. Fortunately the loss wasn't any more because I only had about $220 in my wallet.

I never heard from the host again.

Without getting into details on my income at the time I can say it took me longer in hours to earn $200 after tax than it took to play that round of golf.

Edited by Bonneville85308
  • Like 1

Men's club side bets and various tournaments have won everything from $5 to $250 in one round.

Drunkenly lost $100+ in about 10 minutes at a golf course where you can see the 18th green and approach shots from the bar, betting KP on random strangers coming in, with presses for putts once they all got on the green.

Routinely stake $270 for $5 Bingo, Bango, Bongo - never paid out more than $20 never won more than $10.

Team money games are typically $20 to $60 (2 man Stableford, etc).

Key to all of this if you are married is that your golf bag money pocket and Venmo are not accessible to your significant other. Now that Venmo is ubiquitous you don't need to carry around as much stake money if you get in a cash game where you are short (as long as everyone is okay with Venmo). All of my sports betting is there, so it works out.

One thing I have found is that betting cash in a team game is far cheaper than betting the dinner/bar tab.

7 hours ago, denismcg said:

Several years ago I was invited to play at Earl Grey in Calgary.  The group I played with asked if I would like to join their money game.  I was a bit hesitant but thought it would be rude to say no.  At the end of the round we were having drinks in the clubhouse and the guys handed me $600.  I thought we were just playing for a dollar of two.  Lesson learned, ask how much before you commit to a money game.

Nah... That wouldn't have worked. There's only two things that would have happened:

1. You'd have declined the game (the smart play).
  2. You'd have shot a career-worst round because the dollar value would have made you play tight. 

Winning $600 would not have been a likely outcome if you'd known the stakes!

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

Play a game called Bank with my buddies...

- Spin the tee on the first hole to determine the banker for the hole. after that the winner of the last hole is the banker on the next tee.

- Banker accepts deposits from the players in the game, A deposit can be from $5. to $50. on the hole.

- The players can press the banker after they hit their tee ball, but has to be before the next player hits.

- The banker can press back... but he must press the field. no individually.

- Presses on par threes, must be air presses and they are triple, not double.

- Birdies double the bet and eagles triple the bet.

I was the banker on the tee...

Players 2,3,4 all deposited 40.00 in my bank, then air pressed me on #16 at ASU Karsten course, they were all safe around the middle of the green. It was 240ish all the way to the right side of the green and the pin, about a 230 carry over water on the line with the pin.

So  I am looking at bets of 120. each on the tee, hit hybrid and it is tracking... I hesitated to make sure it clears the water and air pressed them all with the ball about ten feet in the air.  The ball hit the green and rolled right into the hole. Divot was about 18"s dead on line. The air press rolled it up to 360.00 each.   The Ace rolled it up to $1080 each. 

That's one hole of Bank...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PING G425 Max       10.5* Tensei  AV Blue 60 gram X flex
PING G425 Max       16.5* TD AD TP 80 gram X flex
PING G425 19*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING G425 22*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING i230                  5-PW     w/ PX LZ 6.0 Black out shafts (+ 1/4”)
Titleist SM 9 raw        50*/54*/58* PX LZ 6.0  Black out shaft (+ 1/4”)

Odyssey                     AI One  Seven CH

BULLPEN

TM Rossi   M-21 Reserve and Odyssey Tri Hot      5k Seven CH   

Got roped into a they called it "Chicago" game once at a club. 4 guys $10 per hole. Best score got $25, 10, 5, etc. never finished last on a hole and won $270 if I remember right. Didn't get another invite either. lol

Son wanted to play $10 a hole skins years ago, he won the first hole, I won the next 17. Took him 2 years to pay me. ☺

Sure I'm in the hole over the years with tournament entry fees compared to money won and hardware collected. Been fun.

I do not play for $. Ever.  At least ever since very early 1980's (woods were real wood, balls were balata, shafts were steel).  Got invited to play at a club (I was about a 12, and a very shaky one at that, since I'd only been playing for maybe five years) and the guys said something while we were on the range - I thought we were playing for a round of drinks or something (I was wondering how I'd pay if/when  I lost, since I wasn't a member at the club).  Never thought about it being for money.

It was a 6-6-6 deal.  End of the round, three guys hand me about $50 each - my partner on each of the six holes and I won each match.  In 1980's that was a lot of money to me.  I had no idea we were playing for cash money.

I haven't wagered $ since.

There is a private club here that I worked at for a while when I was young going through school. There was a group of old guys that played every morning. The staff called them “the animals.” Turns out they were some big lawyers in town and they played a buck a yard... so around $6,500 on the line each everyday. I guess it worked out to be pretty even by the end of the year, but that was a big game. We stayed out of their way when they were playing.

Driver: Ping G430 Max

Fairway: Ping G425 Max

Hybrid: Adams Pro Black

Irons (5 to U): Ping I525

Wedges (56, 60): Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth

Putter: Bettinardi BB5

11 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

Couple thousand, in a vegas. It's actually a great story. I had joined the club that week, and they asked me to take part in it because they were a couple of players short. It was one of those big money events at their club. I became the lowest index in the club but no one knew who i was. 

So it's one of those events where guys can bet on the teams. No one bet on us because no one knew me as mentioned, my index could've been full of crap etc. I didn't even know guys were betting it was like my 2nd round at the club. For me it was just a fun tournament

So the day before the tournament , some dude puts like 250$ on us at something like 30-1. He was the only person who bet on us. The first day we shot 60 as a 3-person vegas with a combined handicap of ~30, which is insane. The next day we shot 62. Won by a lot

Winners share was a couple of G notes. The guy who bet on us won like 7000-8000$ i think. He bought me drinks all night. At the end of the year we both made sure to report this on our taxes

These events are the real money makers. We had one of these at my old club also, a two day member-member event. Ours was a double dip. They broke all the golfers into four team groups and played round robin 9 hole matches in the group, then the winners of each group made it to sudden a death playoff. The low score and ties moved on until there was only one team left. We won the group, and overall with some stupid odds and came out with cash like pigs. 

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

12 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

Couple thousand, in a vegas. It's actually a great story. I had joined the club that week, and they asked me to take part in it because they were a couple of players short. It was one of those big money events at their club. I became the lowest index in the club but no one knew who i was. 

So it's one of those events where guys can bet on the teams. No one bet on us because no one knew me as mentioned, my index could've been full of crap etc. I didn't even know guys were betting it was like my 2nd round at the club. For me it was just a fun tournament

So the day before the tournament , some dude puts like 250$ on us at something like 30-1. He was the only person who bet on us. The first day we shot 60 as a 3-person vegas with a combined handicap of ~30, which is insane. The next day we shot 62. Won by a lot

Winners share was a couple of G notes. The guy who bet on us won like 7000-8000$ i think. He bought me drinks all night. At the end of the year we both made sure to report this on our taxes

That's called a Horse Race.