2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

All Things Michigan Golf.....The Three Putt

knickerbocker

1 hour ago, postfold said:

Two questions:  Which side of town do you live on?  Which side is work?  If you want to really commit best to have your course be very close to home, work or both imo.

I live right downtown on the east side and work very close to there too. 
I am just curious and what courses seem to be the best value close to downtown. Thanks so much for the response! 

• 3 weeks later...

The GAM sent out qualifying sites for the Michigan Am today. They're having it at Hawk Hollow this year from June 27-July 1 -- I believe it was supposed to be at Meadowbrook, but the club backed out. 

111th Michigan Amateur Qualifier Dates and Sites

May 2: Gowanie GC (Mt. Clemens)

May 12: Salem Hills GC (Northville)

May 19: Fieldstone GC (Auburn Hills)

May 24: Washtenaw GC (Ypsilanti)

May 26: Bedford Valley GC (Battle Creek)

May 28: Forest Akers GC - West (Lansing)

May 31: Edgewood CC (Commerce Twp.)

June 3: Twin Lakes G&SC – Estates/Links (Oakland)

June 4: Greywalls (Marquette)

June 6: Clio CC (Clio)

June 8: Kaufman GC (Wyoming)

June 8: The Highlands at Harbor Springs – Moor (Harbor Springs) Formerly known as Boyne Highlands

I see that they also have the sites posted for the GAM Championship, but not all the dates:

101st GAM Championship -  Location: Plum Hollow CC Date: Aug. 8-9

Qualifiers:

Forest Lake CC July 5

Salem Hills GC July 14

Forest Akers GC – West July 15

Atlas Valley GC July 21

Michaywe Pines TBD

Polo Fields G&CC TBD

Sunnybrook CC July 26

Edited by 3_Jack_Par

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

15 hours ago, 3_Jack_Par said:

The GAM sent out qualifying sites for the Michigan Am today. They're having it at Hawk Hollow this year from June 27-July 1 -- I believe it was supposed to be at Meadowbrook, but the club backed out. 

111th Michigan Amateur Qualifier Dates and Sites

May 2: Gowanie GC (Mt. Clemens)

May 12: Salem Hills GC (Northville)

May 19: Fieldstone GC (Auburn Hills)

May 24: Washtenaw GC (Ypsilanti)

May 26: Bedford Valley GC (Battle Creek)

May 28: Forest Akers GC - West (Lansing)

May 31: Edgewood CC (Commerce Twp.)

June 3: Twin Lakes G&SC – Estates/Links (Oakland)

June 4: Greywalls (Marquette)

June 6: Clio CC (Clio)

June 8: Kaufman GC (Wyoming)

June 8: The Highlands at Harbor Springs – Moor (Harbor Springs) Formerly known as Boyne Highlands

I see that they also have the sites posted for the GAM Championship, but not all the dates:

101st GAM Championship -  Location: Plum Hollow CC Date: Aug. 8-9

Qualifiers:

Forest Lake CC July 5

Salem Hills GC July 14

Forest Akers GC – West July 15

Atlas Valley GC July 21

Michaywe Pines TBD

Polo Fields G&CC TBD

Sunnybrook CC July 26

Based on what I have been told by many different members of Detroit clubs last year is that membership and play is up at such a rate at all the clubs, that many of the members are unhappy about limited use they are getting.  Many clubs have done things like extremely limit or stop guest play and take outside events off calendar to free up time for their members.  I am not sure if that is the cause, but it would not surprise me. 

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

34 minutes ago, knickerbocker said:

Based on what I have been told by many different members of Detroit clubs last year is that membership and play is up at such a rate at all the clubs, that many of the members are unhappy about limited use they are getting.  Many clubs have done things like extremely limit or stop guest play and take outside events off calendar to free up time for their members.  I am not sure if that is the cause, but it would not surprise me. 

It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case at Meadowbrook. As I understand it, the membership is full, and the Am basically shuts the course down to members for a full week right at the beginning of summer, so that could have been the reason. I'm a little surprised they would back out, though, since I know they are able to set up reciprocal stuff at other clubs for members to be able to have an alternative. They did that for the year or more when the course was closed for renovation, so a week doesn't seem like it would be the end of the world.

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

2 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

Anyone know why it is "formerly known as BOyne Highlands"? Was there a sale?

No, it is just a rebranding away from the Boyne name.  

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

On 1/7/2022 at 9:41 AM, golfortennis said:

That's interesting.  Why getting away from the Boyne name?  IS there some political motivation?  

No political motivation.  They are looking to elevate The Highlands to a higher end resort over time and I think this is the first part of that.  They are also trying to make sure it is not confused with Boyne Mountain. 

• Like 1

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

7 hours ago, knickerbocker said:

No political motivation.  They are looking to elevate The Highlands to a higher end resort over time and I think this is the first part of that.  They are also trying to make sure it is not confused with Boyne Mountain. 

So do they still own Boyne Mountain or is it now a separate entity? I love Boyne I really hope they don't kill one of the best golf packages out there.

8 hours ago, cassel191919 said:

So do they still own Boyne Mountain or is it now a separate entity? I love Boyne I really hope they don't kill one of the best golf packages out there.

Boyne Mountain and The Highlands are still under the same ownership. It’s just a rebranding. I’m just guessing, but I’d think part of it is an attempt to eliminate confusion for out-of-state guests, who may not understand that they’re different places, and with Boyne Falls and Boyne City being near the Mountain resort.

Based on the little I’ve seen about their plans to upgrade various parts of the resort at the Highlands, I think they’re really going to be moving toward a more upscale experience there, about which I have mixed feelings. On one hand, I like nice places and I’m willing to pay for a nice experience (within reason), and the dining options at the resort currently are pretty subpar (though Petoskey is nearby and has lots of good options), but on the other hand, the Highlands have always had a laid-back and unpretentious vibe, and one of my favorite things to do there is hang out on the patio at the Slopeside Lounge and play the lawn games or the putting course with a beer in hand, followed by some d’mores at the fire pit. There’s a lot of low-key up-north kind of stuff going on up there, and I hope it doesn’t lose that and become just another soulless place for rich people. I don’t know for sure that’s what they’re going for, but if it is, I think that would be a mistake. There’s a lot of old money up in Harbor Springs, but it’s a big resort, and they’re not going to fill it unless they cater to a variety of groups.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2021 at 10:21 AM, BassCatchr77 said:

Hey everyone, live in the GR area and a college student. Recently Turned 21 and want to get more serious about golf and was wondering if there was a course within the GR area that you guys would recommend getting a membership to in order to really commit to playing almost everyday. Thanks so much for reccomendations or comments!

Looks like your question got swamped! The only course I know of in the area is The Mines. Others might be able to say if it suits what you want but it is a Mike DeVries design so it has a pedigree.

2 hours ago, Chanceman said:

Looks like your question got swamped! The only course I know of in the area is The Mines. Others might be able to say if it suits what you want but it is a Mike DeVries design so it has a pedigree.

Yeah this course looks great! Thanks so much for your help 

15 hours ago, GolfCarl said:

Has anyone played the restored Oakland Hills?  Hoping to get back to Michigan this summer and have a look.  I'm so happy that the membership restored their course to the Ross gem it is.  Hopefully the US Open returns to Michigan soon.

I have and it is fantastic. The views of the property with the trees taken out are incredible and The original #7 is so much better in my opinion than what was there before. I also find it much harder with expanded bunkers into the landing areas and bunkers in front of greens that leave no openings for miss hits. The greens last year were obviously brand new and didn't roll like they used to, but I think they will be much better this year.

• Like 1

Maple Hill sale this weekend at the Deltaplex.  If it's not 96 below zero tomorrow I'll probably drive over.  Even if I don't buy anything I can think about what I'll end up buying (sigh) when I go back for the golf show in February.  I mean, what else do we have to do until spring?

1 hour ago, postfold said:

Maple Hill sale this weekend at the Deltaplex.  If it's not 96 below zero tomorrow I'll probably drive over.  Even if I don't buy anything I can think about what I'll end up buying (sigh) when I go back for the golf show in February.  I mean, what else do we have to do until spring?

The struggle is real! 

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a $1k putter out of sheer boredom 😂

• Haha 1

Two courses I’m not seeing listed:  In the GR area Quail Ridge , usually the best greens of the public courses in Grand Rapids.  Avoid during really wet periods.

We do two trips each year to Northern Michigan with 8-12 guys and have played most of the top rated courses.  Last year to a man everyone’s favorite was Hidden River Golf and Casting Club.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 9:52 PM, 1puttTUT said:

The struggle is real! 

Apparently we are not alone, it was PACKED in there on Saturday.  Way too busy to do anything meaningful.  The DeltaPlex just doesn't have enough room, at least not how it was set up.  Hopefully the golf show will be slightly less claustrophobic.  

• Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 9:52 PM, 1puttTUT said:

The struggle is real! 

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a $1k putter out of sheer boredom 😂

I have been there. 

I am spending Jan - April really focused on strength and speed training instead of buying new stuff.  I have really lost some swing speed the last two years (getting old) and I need to get back on track to compete at a higher level.  

• Like 1

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

Not to brag, but my winter is shaping up nicely as far as getting out of the cold. I got down to Fort Myers the week before Christmas, I'm heading to Orlando for a buddies trip in late January, I have a week-long work trip to Arizona in mid February, I have a couples trip to Dominican Republic in early March, I have another week-long work trip to Naples in mid March, and we're spending the kid's spring break in late March in the Tennessee mountains. 

I'm thinking I should get no less than twelve 18 hole rounds in.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 8:42 AM, Net_5 said:

Two courses I’m not seeing listed:  In the GR area Quail Ridge , usually the best greens of the public courses in Grand Rapids.  Avoid during really wet periods.

We do two trips each year to Northern Michigan with 8-12 guys and have played most of the top rated courses.  Last year to a man everyone’s favorite was Hidden River Golf and Casting Club.

Love hidden river - such a great track!

• Like 1

Just booked most of our summer golf trip.  Haven't been up to Michigan in a few years and can't wait to get back.

Itinerary:

July 11th-15th

Day 1- Drive and Play Stoatin Brae

Drive and stay near Bay Harbor

Day 2- Bay Harbor (Links/Quarry)

Hills Course at Boyne Highlands

Drive and stay near Forest Dunes

Day 3- The Loop and Forest Dunes

Drive to stay near Arcadia

Day 4-  Arcadia Bluffs and South

Drive to stay either near Manistee National or Hemlock

Day 5- Manistee National or Hemlock

American Dunes

Sadly head home

Couple of questions:

1- Yes, I know this is a bit of "windshield time", but we want to play the best courses we can.  Do you think I am missing any obvious choices?

2- We have never played Stoatin Brae or American Dunes.  Anybody played there that can chime in?

3-  If you had to chose between Manistee National and Hemlock, which do you pick?  If Manistee National, which course is the better choice?

4- Or is there something better than Manistee National and Hemlock that is between Arcadia and American Dunes that I am missing?

Thanks for any help!!!

Taylormade M3 w/ Tensei CK White-70X
Taylormade SIM 5 wood w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-80X
Sub 70 699u Pro 2 iron 17* w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-90X
Mizuno MMC 4-6 w/ Dynamic Gold- X100

Mizuno MP20 7-PW w/ Dynamic Gold-X100
Mizuno MP T20 50*, 54*, 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S-400 
Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

Pilgrims Run is a little east of a straight line between Manistee and Grand Haven but many would consider a step up from Manistee National or Hemlock and only 45 minutes from American Dunes which is 1.5 hours from Manistee.  

Could stay in GR Day 4 evening and be 35 minutes from your first round with lots of downtown restaurants and brewerys, if that’s appealing.  Seems like the tee time you get at American Dunes will dictate what’s feasible if you don’t already have it. Great itinerary, you might be tired day 6.

I play Stoatin Brae multiple times a year and its a nice course but I have never understood the hype.  I think you will be dissapointed in it to be honest.  Your lineup looks outstanding but I would skip stoatin brae and go and play Black Lake in Onaway michigan.   That track is one of my favorites in Michigan and its probably only a 45 minute drive from Bay Harbor.  Black lake offers dirt cheap stay and play options if you need a cheaps night lodging.

I prefer hemlock over manistee national but I would skip both and try to fit in a round at pilgrims run if it were me.  If you added Black Lake and Pilgrims Run and pair that with Bay Harbor, Forest Dunes, The Loop, Arcadia and American Dunes you are pretty much playing the best of the best public courses in the state.

I like your style....I am not afraid to drive either 🙂

Only other publics you might want to consider is Treetops Signature and Otsego Club Tribute and both courses are in Gaylord Michigan.

American Dunes and Stoatin Brae are nice tracks.....but I dont consider them to be the best of best and both are pretty pricey as well.  With that being said they are not dog tracks and you will still have a blast

Edited by BG5
  • Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

12 hours ago, BG5 said:

I play Stoatin Brae multiple times a year and its a nice course but I have never understood the hype. 

I feel the same way.  I usually play it 1 - 2 a year.  I shot 71 out there last year, so now I like the course. 

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

Thanks for the replies so far.

I forgot about Pilgrim's Run.  Played it a number of years ago and really enjoyed it.  We will make that change.

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure for a Monday round in July at Stoatin Brae around 1pm?  I chatted with a rep online and she was not able to even give me a ballpark figure because they use "dynamic pricing".  This, coupled with the fact that they don't allow you to book until 30 days out, has me rethinking the round on the way up.  Its nice to be able to give the others in my group a ballpark total figure for the trip!!

Taylormade M3 w/ Tensei CK White-70X
Taylormade SIM 5 wood w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-80X
Sub 70 699u Pro 2 iron 17* w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-90X
Mizuno MMC 4-6 w/ Dynamic Gold- X100

Mizuno MP20 7-PW w/ Dynamic Gold-X100
Mizuno MP T20 50*, 54*, 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S-400 
Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas