All Things Michigan Golf.....The Three Putt

knickerbocker

13 hours ago, postfold said:

Watermark (or whatever they're called now) has a deal to buy Muskegon Country Club.  Will be interested to see what they do with it access-wise, if they make it more of a semi-private.  If so it'll probably deserve a spot on any list of GR Lakeshore area courses to play.

Of course they may keep it fully private more like Thousand Oaks, but I've long speculated that there just may not be enough potential members in Muskegon to support an elite fully private club (due to changes in the tax laws and social habits).

I think they are called Red Water.  

We have reciprocal play there now for $25 and one of my favorite courses.  I think they already own 6 or 7 courses, right?

9* G410 LST w/ AD-XC 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
20* Callaway XR Pro Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Taylormade Milled Grind Antique Bronze 54 and 58 w/ Modus Tour 120
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: -ProV1x

Dont know about a top ten, but some of my favorites I have played are...Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs, The Loop (Black), UMGC, Radrick Farms, Stoatin Brae, Stonehedge South, Katke Cousins, the Orchards.

Have Harbor Shores, Hawkshead and American Dunes lined up in early June. Can't wait.

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
3-4 Cobra F8 Diamana D+ 80x
18* Srixon ZU65 Black Tie 90S
4-PW Srixon Z785 w/ TTDG X100
Titleist SM8 50F, 56M, 60K 
PXG Battle Ready Closer
Taylormade TP5x/Srixon Z Star Diamond

2 hours ago, Go_Blue! said:

Dont know about a top ten, but some of my favorites I have played are...Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs, The Loop (Black), UMGC, Radrick Farms, Stoatin Brae, Stonehedge South, Katke Cousins, the Orchards.

Have Harbor Shores, Hawkshead and American Dunes lined up in early June. Can't wait.

I will be curious to hear about American Dunes.  I definitely want to play there someday. 

9* G410 LST w/ AD-XC 6

On 4/15/2021 at 11:00 AM, knickerbocker said:

I will be curious to hear about American Dunes.  I definitely want to play there someday. 

I’m heading out there in June. Really don’t know what to expect. I think it has a possibility of being one of the top tracks in the state! I wish their social media would post more about the actual course.

On 4/14/2021 at 9:07 AM, postfold said:

Something like that - I know they own Thousand Oaks, Sunnybrook, Macatawa, Ravines, Watermark, Stonewater and I believe Thornapple Pointe.

That's a great deal for reciprocal play, I've really enjoyed the course the two or three times I've played it.

Sunnybrook has been on my list to play ever since I was a little rapscallion, biking to the course with my buddies and stealing golf balls out of the bushes and rough.

Before you judge too harshly, at least we picked the ones out of the s***, and not like my other buddies at the course around the corner that picked up balls right outta the fairway.

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

On 3/28/2021 at 4:15 PM, reperna said:

I might be having my best golf summer this year.

may 14-15 Tullymore and st ives

may 21-23 Arcadia bluffs and south

may 28-30 pilgrims run and American dunes

June 26-27 Erin hills

Thinking about buying the three rounds at Oakland as well.

Keep me posted if you need a golf partner, I live in GR and plan on playing American Dunes and I am also playing Erin Hills that weekend.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Rodmike10 said:

If anyone is interested in playing Oakland University (Sharf or Katke), or Great Oaks Country Club, I can provide some insight/help on how to make it happen.  

I can’t offer this up to everyone, but I am certainly willing to help out a few fellow GolfWRX members. FCFS.

Just make friends with Perry, right 🤣

3 hours ago, Rodmike10 said:

If anyone is interested in playing Oakland University (Sharf or Katke), or Great Oaks Country Club, I can provide some insight/help on how to make it happen.  

I can’t offer this up to everyone, but I am certainly willing to help out a few fellow GolfWRX members. FCFS.

I've always wanted to check out great oaks. Let me know if you get a group together.

• Like 1

Looks like some nice weather this weekend.  Planning on playing both Saturday and Sunday. 

Waiting on my new irons.  Ordered six weeks ago.  Grrrrr....

New shafts and some tweaks to my driver and 3 wood over the winter are treating me well.  I haven't driven the ball this good in years.  

I hope everyone is doing well.

• Like 1

9* G410 LST w/ AD-XC 6

21 hours ago, knickerbocker said:

Looks like some nice weather this weekend.  Planning on playing both Saturday and Sunday. 

Waiting on my new irons.  Ordered six weeks ago.  Grrrrr....

New shafts and some tweaks to my driver and 3 wood over the winter are treating me well.  I haven't driven the ball this good in years.  

I hope everyone is doing well.

6 weeks, sounds like you may have another month or 2. I can't believe the delays on custom builds right now.

On 4/29/2021 at 10:21 AM, cassel191919 said:

6 weeks, sounds like you may have another month or 2. I can't believe the delays on custom builds right now.

They came yesterday!!!

9* G410 LST w/ AD-XC 6

Yep I have a custom Spider SR ordered on April 13 that is still being processed and not expected til May 13. Crazy for a putter. I have a Gull back fit on Monday at MoG and plan on upgrading my wedges for sure and maybe driver. Not looking forward to the wait for them.

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
3-4 Cobra F8 Diamana D+ 80x
18* Srixon ZU65 Black Tie 90S
4-PW Srixon Z785 w/ TTDG X100
Titleist SM8 50F, 56M, 60K 
PXG Battle Ready Closer
Taylormade TP5x/Srixon Z Star Diamond

On 4/16/2021 at 12:39 PM, reperna said:

I’m heading out there in June. Really don’t know what to expect. I think it has a possibility of being one of the top tracks in the state! I wish their social media would post more about the actual course.

Got a tee time out there next Sunday.  Any reports yet?

Taylormade Sim2 10.5 VA Composites Vylyn 65 Four
Titleist TS3 15 deg VA Composites Vylyn 75 Four
Titleist 818 23 deg VA Composites Slay 85 Four

Miura PI-501 5 iron Steelfiber 95 stiff

Miura CB-301 6-7 Steelfiber 95 still

Miura MC-501 8-pw Steelfiber 95 stiff
Miura HB 50 deg S400

PXG 56 Milled 56/ ZULU 60 deg S400

It sounds like there are delays across all manufacturers for custom builds, with grips and shafts being the pinch point at the moment. I was hoping to get in for a fitting a little earlier in the year because of this, but wanted to wait until I was vaccinated and COVID numbers started to drop a little. Called Carl's today for a full bag analysis and the soonest they could get me in was a full month from today!

If anyone is on the fence right now and planning on going to Carl's, between build/component delays and getting an appointment, you might want to call and make that appointment if you'd like clubs this year.

12 minutes ago, cwb12 said:

Making a trip to Forest Dunes in August. Have time for a Mid-Day Thursday round between Detroit and Roscommon. I'm looking at Huntmore Golf Club and Shepperd's Hollow. Flip a coin or advantages to one over the other?

Huntmore is sorta kinda on my list...I used to work with one of the developers that built the homes around the course.  Though, I think in the other thread, someone mentioned that it's kinda fallen by the wayside in recent years.

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

12 minutes ago, cwb12 said:

Making a trip to Forest Dunes in August. Have time for a Mid-Day Thursday round between Detroit and Roscommon. I'm looking at Huntmore Golf Club and Shepperd's Hollow. Flip a coin or advantages to one over the other?

Where exactly are you coming from? Those two courses are in pretty different areas -- if you're actually coming from the city of Detroit, then I understand the logistics. I'd recommend Coyote Preserve instead of Huntmore, though I do like Huntmore pretty well. Coyote Preserve is a little farther north, right off of US-23 and I think it's a little better course.

• Like 1

Ping G410 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
Ping G410 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x
Cobra King RF Forged MB - 4-PW, KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff or Scratch SB-1 3-4 & 6-PW Nippon Modus3 120x
Corey Paul 52*/Titleist Vokey Forged 58* K-Grind, Nippon Modus3 125 Blue Wedge shafts,  Titleist Vokey SM6 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

2 minutes ago, HappyGilmoresBoots said:

Huntmore is sorta kinda on my list...I used to work with one of the developers that built the homes around the course.  Though, I think in the other thread, someone mentioned that it's kinda fallen by the wayside in recent years.

I think you may be thinking of Timber Trace. Huntmore has been in good shape when I've played it as recently as last year. 

Ping G410 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
Ping G410 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x
Cobra King RF Forged MB - 4-PW, KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff or Scratch SB-1 3-4 & 6-PW Nippon Modus3 120x
Corey Paul 52*/Titleist Vokey Forged 58* K-Grind, Nippon Modus3 125 Blue Wedge shafts,  Titleist Vokey SM6 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

5 hours ago, 3_Jack_Par said:

Where exactly are you coming from? Those two courses are in pretty different areas -- if you're actually coming from the city of Detroit, then I understand the logistics. I'd recommend Coyote Preserve instead of Huntmore, though I do like Huntmore pretty well. Coyote Preserve is a little farther north, right off of US-23 and I think it's a little better course.

Detroit Airport. So Huntmore or Shephards is the same distance on the way North. Coyote is also on the way so will look into that as well. Appreciate it!

On 5/5/2021 at 4:37 PM, mattsam said:

Got a tee time out there next Sunday.  Any reports yet?

One golfer's opinion, but I think it's pretty spectacular.  You ease in the first three holes, then climb the hill to #4 and it's time to BUCKLE UP.  Conditions are very firm and plenty fast.  I dunno about reports of the greens being slow -- they're not lightning but they roll out pretty good and there is plenty of slope to make a two putt a challenge.  Most of the greens are quite large.   Sand is plentiful and some of the bunkers are seriously deep.  At the same time, you can avoid a lot of it because landing areas are generous.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, reperna said:

Playing Tully more and st Ives this weekend for a guys trip. Anyone been out there yet? How are they rolling?

Haven't been there this year, but previous experience in May would suggest that the courses won't be in best shape.  They usually don't get into prime shape until June. 

• Like 1

9* G410 LST w/ AD-XC 6

8 hours ago, reperna said:

That’s what I was thinking. Oh well, it will still be a good time!

St Ives is in great shape. Tully is in pretty decent shape. Greens at both would be better in June because they have been conservative with all the cold weather not to cut them too short.  Both are rolling very smooth but only at about 10ish on stimp. Tully was punched last month but has mostly grown in. Tully has 2-3 fairways that have had a mold issue but other than that things are good considering the early April like weather we have had. 

• Like 1

The Bear is a very tough golf course and the wolverine is another nice course.  They are resort courses but they will be in good shape with fast greens.  They are in tough company in Northern Michigan as Michigan has some of the best public courses in the U.S.  

With that being said they are both worthy of being in the top 25 public courses in the State and I always enjoy playing them.  You will have fun and the TC scene and resort is fantastic.

Ping K15 Driver - 10.5*
Ping K15 3 Wood 16* & 5 Wood 19*
Ping Karsten Hybrids 19* 22* 25*
Ping Karsten Irons 6-PW
Ping Karsten Wedges 51* 55*
Ping Scottsdale Greyhawk TR Putter
WITB Link