All Things Michigan Golf.....The Three Putt

knickerbocker

13 hours ago, timbo08 said:

Is the affiliate status the only way to play as a Non-Member and Non-Guest of Member out of curiosity. 

The term "affiliate" is what they use in place of "member". You have to purchase an annual membership to become an affiliate, so they are the same thing. 

Full time students and faculty can play Katke at a reduced rate. Sharf is just flat-out private. 

Alumni get no rights or discounts.

Heading out on a golf trip a week from today. First stop is Forest Dunes to play FD and The Loop, then drive over to Arcadia Thursday night. Friday morning we have Arcadia South followed by Arcadia Bluffs in the afternoon, then hopefully a little bit of time to have a cigar and a cocktail and watch the sun go down before our Dinner reservation at Arcadia. Saturday morning headed down to American Dunes, and then most likely eat and drink until I am unable to move somewhere in GR and then head home Sunday morning. Super pumped for this trip. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, N8dogg2669 said:

Heading out on a golf trip a week from today. First stop is Forest Dunes to play FD and The Loop, then drive over to Arcadia Thursday night. Friday morning we have Arcadia South followed by Arcadia Bluffs in the afternoon, then hopefully a little bit of time to have a cigar and a cocktail and watch the sun go down before our Dinner reservation at Arcadia. Saturday morning headed down to American Dunes, and then most likely eat and drink until I am unable to move somewhere in GR and then head home Sunday morning. Super pumped for this trip. 

Get the smoked old fashioned at AB after your round. It's $22 but the presentation makes it well worth it and pairs incredibly well with almost any cigar 👌

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1puttTUT said:

The term "affiliate" is what they use in place of "member". You have to purchase an annual membership to become an affiliate, so they are the same thing. 

Full time students and faculty can play Katke at a reduced rate. Sharf is just flat-out private. 

Alumni get no rights or discounts.

Ah okay, good to know, thank you! I was a bit confused looking online how everything "worked" there, appreciate you explaining it! 

• Like 1

Last week, my trusty AD-BB 6s finally saw its last day.  It broke after I hit a drive and I was sad.  

I picked up a AD-XC which is supposed to be the newer version of the BB.  Going into play tonight, so I am hoping for similar results. 

9* G410 LST w/ AD-XC 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
20* Callaway XR Pro Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Taylormade Milled Grind Antique Bronze 54 and 58 w/ Modus Tour 120
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: -ProV1x

On 7/8/2021 at 12:20 PM, knickerbocker said:

Last week, my trusty AD-BB 6s finally saw its last day.  It broke after I hit a drive and I was sad.  

I picked up a AD-XC which is supposed to be the newer version of the BB.  Going into play tonight, so I am hoping for similar results. 

I have an AD-XC 7x that I used for a little while last year before going to a lighter shaft in the driver (Ventus Black 6x, which I still use). I can see similarities to the AD BB in performance, but I think it feels a bit more firm. Coming from the AD BB, I think you’ll adjust pretty well.

Ping G410 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 46.5", Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
Ping G410 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x
Scratch SB-1 3-4 & 6-PW Nippon Modus3 120x or Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW Nippon Modus3 125x
Corey Paul 52*/Titleist Vokey Forged 58* K-Grind, Nippon Modus3 125 Blue Wedge shafts,  Titleist Vokey SM6 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

3 hours ago, 3_Jack_Par said:

I have an AD-XC 7x that I used for a little while last year before going to a lighter shaft in the driver (Ventus Black 6x, which I still use). I can see similarities to the AD BB in performance, but I think it feels a bit more firm. Coming from the AD BB, I think you’ll adjust pretty well.

I actually have found the XC to feel a bit softer so far.  It is similar in performance and I hit it well, but the feel is different. 

9* G410 LST w/ AD-XC 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
20* Callaway XR Pro Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Taylormade Milled Grind Antique Bronze 54 and 58 w/ Modus Tour 120
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: -ProV1x

18 minutes ago, mckennwa said:

I’m headed up to play Arcadia Bluffs this summer. Will be driving up from Indianapolis. Will be spending 4 days up there, and only one at Arcadia. What are the best publicly available courses in the area or on the way up?

What town would make a good home base?  

Ludington and Manistee have a couple good courses each. As far as a home base, I guess it depends on how close you want to be.  We rented a beach house in Onekama and it was only 15 min to AB. It wasn't a golf trip, but the short drive made it easy to sneak away for some evening rounds. The Heathlands is a decent nearby golf option as well.

Frankfort is also a cute town not far away. Not sure what courses other than AB are close by though. 

Edited by 1puttTUT
Spelling

3 hours ago, mckennwa said:

I’m headed up to play Arcadia Bluffs this summer. Will be driving up from Indianapolis. Will be spending 4 days up there, and only one at Arcadia. What are the best publicly available courses in the area or on the way up?

We have a trip there at the end of August. We reserved a VRBO at Crystal Mt Resort. Playing Hemlock on the way up from Detroit then Arcadia Bluffs & South Course along with the 2 Crystal Mt courses. Since you’re heading up from Indiana I’d say American Dunes or Hemlock would be good on the way up. 

We stayed in Interlochen a few years ago and made the drive to Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs, Bahle Farms and Traverse City isn’t too from there. It was a good spot in my opinion. 

Edited by AzSuperHack76

17 hours ago, mckennwa said:

I like @AzSuperHack76 suggestion to look at Crystal Mountain Resort, there are two golf courses there and a pretty good practice area (not nearly as nice as Arcadia - Bluffs course, but a close 2nd in the area).. for what it's worth Crystal Mountain is very proud of their course conditions and green specifically but it more importantly for you, it would be a rather central location to a lot of the places you mentioned.  I've spent a little over a year in the Frankfort area and other there are some very good hidden gems close by - Champion Hill & Pinecroft are daily fee and ~1/4th the price of Arcadia but have to be the best value in golf anywhere (seriously...). They're owned by the same family and there's a good story behind them: https://geekedongolf.com/2019/08/champion-hill-golf-course/ ... Read this article and you'll understand what I mean.

I played Arcadia South this afternoon and it's in fantastic conditions, especially the greens. You'll have a great round!

23143336_ArcadiaSouth2.jpg.d4d33aa22898cf84f2454ea91a3d9c6e.jpg

1717381103_ArcadiaSouth4.jpg.6e74900f8ced2c455de9e2e2357bbef4.jpg

988029071_ArcadiaSouth1.jpg.a0d4d16082510387e455cf97c2d8211e.jpg

Arcadia South 3.jpg

Edited by putterboy75
  • Thanks 1

How much is a round at the South Course?  And, do I get a discount if I tell them that I built their waitress stand at an old job I had?

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

Played Forest Dunes, The Loop (Black), Arcadia South, Arcadia Bluffs, and American Dunes last week. What a trip. Shocked to be honest in the golf though. For years I have been trying to go to Forest Dunes and it just never worked out. I was so amped to play, and honestly out of all the courses I played, I enjoyed and liked Forest Dunes the least. It's a nice manicured course, but I was not overly impressed and can't say a single hole really stuck out as something special. The Loop however was amazing. The Loop was kind of a, well we are here so lets play it round, and man I am glad I did. The layout, the huge fairways, the greens and bunkering so good. Also to my surprise was the South course at Arcadia. I played it weeks after it opened a few years ago and that round didn't do it justice. The course was in phenomenal shape, the weather was perfect, our caddie Tye was great. Really really enjoyed the South. The Bluffs is the Bluffs. It's awesome. My favorite course I think I have ever played. Every time I play it I am just in awe of that place. We saw a hole in one behind us on the 17th hole which was cool. And then hitting my second into 18 with the bag piper playing really topped off that round. Had a cigar and some drinks and watched the sunset, then absolutely gorged on some food on the patio at the restaurant. What a day, what a night, my god I had a blast. American Dunes was cool. I like what it stands for, the course is a bit weird. Seems like they shoe horned about 5 too many holes into that course and it seem like you need to wear a helmet at times. Some of the "dunes" and bunkers seem weird in areas where it was clearly a tree lined hole, but overall it was a cool relaxing round after a few days of some unbelievable golf and company. Overall a top 5 trip in my lifetime, maybe top 3.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, N8dogg2669 said:

American Dunes was cool. I like what it stands for, the course is a bit weird. Seems like they shoe horned about 5 too many holes into that course and it seem like you need to wear a helmet at times. Some of the "dunes" and bunkers seem weird in areas where it was clearly a tree lined hole, but overall it was a cool relaxing round after a few days of some unbelievable golf and company. Overall a top 5 trip in my lifetime, maybe top 3.

Sounds like an amazing trip, you really hit a lot of top tier courses.

I can only think of one hole at American Dunes where it felt like it was shoehorned in -- #11.  The tee is exposed and close to 10 green, especially if the pin is on the right.  Then when you're down by the green you could potentially have players hit in your direction off #17.  Goes both ways, if you fan one way right on 11 you could end up on 17.  There are a couple other spots where you theoretically could have players from an adjacent hole, like on #5 and #6 but it takes a pretty off target shot.  I'm sure Jack would have loved another 50 acres to work with.

I'm scheduled to play Pilgrim's Run this weekend for the first time this year, really hoping for good weather.

5 hours ago, postfold said:

Sounds like an amazing trip, you really hit a lot of top tier courses.

I can only think of one hole at American Dunes where it felt like it was shoehorned in -- #11.  The tee is exposed and close to 10 green, especially if the pin is on the right.  

11 for sure. The first par 3, I think number 3 or 4 felt crammed in between the next two holes, and 15, 16, and 17 just seemed like they needed a little space. I still liked it. I'll play it again in the future, but I was surprised how many times the tee boxes were basically in play from the previous hole. 

Been wanting to play Pilgrims.  Hopefully next year. 

8 hours ago, N8dogg2669 said:

Played Forest Dunes, The Loop (Black), Arcadia South, Arcadia Bluffs, and American Dunes last week. What a trip. Shocked to be honest in the golf though. For years I have been trying to go to Forest Dunes and it just never worked out. I was so amped to play, and honestly out of all the courses I played, I enjoyed and liked Forest Dunes the least. It's a nice manicured course, but I was not overly impressed and can't say a single hole really stuck out as something special. The Loop however was amazing. The Loop was kind of a, well we are here so lets play it round, and man I am glad I did. The layout, the huge fairways, the greens and bunkering so good. Also to my surprise was the South course at Arcadia. I played it weeks after it opened a few years ago and that round didn't do it justice. The course was in phenomenal shape, the weather was perfect, our caddie Tye was great. Really really enjoyed the South. The Bluffs is the Bluffs. It's awesome. My favorite course I think I have ever played. Every time I play it I am just in awe of that place. We saw a hole in one behind us on the 17th hole which was cool. And then hitting my second into 18 with the bag piper playing really topped off that round. Had a cigar and some drinks and watched the sunset, then absolutely gorged on some food on the patio at the restaurant. What a day, what a night, my god I had a blast. American Dunes was cool. I like what it stands for, the course is a bit weird. Seems like they shoe horned about 5 too many holes into that course and it seem like you need to wear a helmet at times. Some of the "dunes" and bunkers seem weird in areas where it was clearly a tree lined hole, but overall it was a cool relaxing round after a few days of some unbelievable golf and company. Overall a top 5 trip in my lifetime, maybe top 3.

Agree with your sentiment towards Forest Dunes. I was very underwhelmed, but then again, I've only played it one time so should revisit. It felt like a Fazio course to me on the front 9 and also agree none of the holes were memorable.

Couldn't agree with you more about Arcadia South. I also played in right when it opened and I think it was in decent shape so maybe not quite as early as you did, but still was underwhelmed. I think my appreciation for course architecture has grown since then and I've been back to play the South several times since then, most recently this past Saturday. It was firm and fast for sure! How did you score on the South? I'd consider my ball striking this past round to be 8 / 10 but I probably had 1000 putts. You really have to know how to play that course - I bet the caddy helped a lot.

Glad to hear about how well your trip went and it sounds like you got as much as you could into the visit!

• Like 1

On 7/18/2021 at 9:05 AM, HappyGilmoresBoots said:

How much is a round at the South Course?  And, do I get a discount if I tell them that I built their waitress stand at an old job I had?

I think after 3pm its $75 or maybe a few more. Cart included in the rate even if you opt out to walk, which we did. Course is very walkable, all the tees and greens are nearly next to each other. As for the discount, call them up and ask? Maybe you could show them how much the stand has benefited the golfer experience / how it facilitates faster pace of play, then if that doesn't work offer to work a few hours at the stand in return for a round at South. You know what they say, you never know until you ask....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, putterboy75 said:

Agree with your sentiment towards Forest Dunes. I was very underwhelmed, but then again, I've only played it one time so should revisit. It felt like a Fazio course to me on the front 9 and also agree none of the holes were memorable.

Couldn't agree with you more about Arcadia South. I also played in right when it opened and I think it was in decent shape so maybe not quite as early as you did, but still was underwhelmed. I think my appreciation for course architecture has grown since then and I've been back to play the South several times since then, most recently this past Saturday. It was firm and fast for sure! How did you score on the South? I'd consider my ball striking this past round to be 8 / 10 but I probably had 1000 putts. You really have to know how to play that course - I bet the caddy helped a lot.

Glad to hear about how well your trip went and it sounds like you got as much as you could into the visit!

I played good all 5 rounds but Forest Dunes, and honestly that round I had 2-3 really bad holes and a bunch of ok holes. I shot 81 on the south course. 40 on the front, 41 on the back. Burned edges all day long, really all trip long. Lipped out an 18 inch birdie putt on the par 3 9th at the Bluffs course, and I hit a good putt. Just had way more break than I chose to believe it could possibly have. But I went 94 at FD, 79 on the Loop (with a quad and triple bogey), 81 on the South, and 83 on the Bluffs. American Dunes was a just hit the ball kind of round. Pencil never touched the score card that day and it really was a fun relaxing wind-down round for the trip in general. The caddy helped a lot. I don't think so much on the South as the Bluffs, but there was a mix up in reservations so we took the caddie for the south also. I only booked the caddie for the Bluffs but they booked it for both rounds. When he got there we told him hop on and just loop for us on the morning round also. Overall, amazing trip. We really hit some quality golf courses in the state of Michigan on this trip. We also ran into the Barstool Foreplay guys at Forest Dunes both days we were there. I played at Hazeltine last year in one of the Barstool Classic events and they were real cool guys. Seemed real cool, down to earth guys this time also. I know sometimes those guys get a bad rap, but they were nice to us. I don't have facebook, instagram, or twitter so I'm not a barstool fan boy, but I think those guys get a bad wrap by a lot of people in the golf world for some reason. 

19 hours ago, putterboy75 said:

I think after 3pm its $75 or maybe a few more. Cart included in the rate even if you opt out to walk, which we did. Course is very walkable, all the tees and greens are nearly next to each other. As for the discount, call them up and ask? Maybe you could show them how much the stand has benefited the golfer experience / how it facilitates faster pace of play, then if that doesn't work offer to work a few hours at the stand in return for a round at South. You know what they say, you never know until you ask....

I was mostly joking about the discount (though a buddy used to get free beers at bars that he'd installed refrigeration in)...as part of my "diverse" work background, I was a designer at a cabinet company that did the whole South clubhouse - as it was my first week, they had me on the shop floor doing the actual carpentry...and my project on that particular day was the waitress stand 😂

• Like 1

What's In The Bag?

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

3 hours ago, HappyGilmoresBoots said:

I was mostly joking about the discount (though a buddy used to get free beers at bars that he'd installed refrigeration in)...as part of my "diverse" work background, I was a designer at a cabinet company that did the whole South clubhouse - as it was my first week, they had me on the shop floor doing the actual carpentry...and my project on that particular day was the waitress stand 😂

Ha, that's pretty awesome actually. I mean, seriously though, it couldn't hurt to ask. Later in the afternoon it seems to open up a lot...we started at 4:45 and the next scheduled group was at 6:15pm (on a Saturday too) .... I don't think it gets the hype or tourist golfers quite like the Bluffs course does.

I played ERGC on the recommendation of openwater a couple years ago with my wife, who only plays a couple times a year, and really enjoyed it. It’s a nice 9-holer with some nice scenery. We’re going to be up in TC at the end of August, and we’re planning to play it again. 

Ping G410 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 46.5", Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
Ping G410 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x
Scratch SB-1 3-4 & 6-PW Nippon Modus3 120x or Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW Nippon Modus3 125x
Corey Paul 52*/Titleist Vokey Forged 58* K-Grind, Nippon Modus3 125 Blue Wedge shafts,  Titleist Vokey SM6 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

8 hours ago, 3_Jack_Par said:

I played ERGC on the recommendation of openwater a couple years ago with my wife, who only plays a couple times a year, and really enjoyed it. It’s a nice 9-holer with some nice scenery. We’re going to be up in TC at the end of August, and we’re planning to play it again. 

It really is. I'll be around at the end of August too, perhaps we can share a round. My fiance would appreciate a more balanced 4-some!

15 minutes ago, postfold said:

Anyone familiar with any par 3/executive courses in roughly the general Grand Rapids/Muskegon/Holland triangle?  I'm drawing a complete blank.  Want to get a brand new golfer out and don't want to overwhelm him.

The ones that came immediately to mind are now closed.

What about Scott Lake or Saskatoon?

5 hours ago, postfold said:

Anyone familiar with any par 3/executive courses in roughly the general Grand Rapids/Muskegon/Holland triangle?  I'm drawing a complete blank.  Want to get a brand new golfer out and don't want to overwhelm him.

The Links At Rolling Meadows are in south Holland, right off of 48th St.

What's In The Bag?

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter