All Things Michigan Golf.....The Three Putt

knickerbocker

Is it just me, or has pace of play on the weekends been getting worse? I had a 2:45 front nine last weekend (followed by a "speedy" 2:15 on the back), and yesterday at Kensington Metropark, the group in front of us was still waiting to tee off when we got to about two thirds of the holes. It's getting to the point where I don't even want to bother playing on the weekends, but then I'd basically be left playing at the crack of dawn by myself for most of my rounds. 

Ping G410 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 46.5", Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
Ping G410 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x
Scratch SB-1 3-4 & 6-PW Nippon Modus3 120x or Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW Nippon Modus3 125x
Corey Paul 52*/Titleist Vokey Forged 58* K-Grind, Nippon Modus3 125 Blue Wedge shafts,  Titleist Vokey SM6 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

17 hours ago, 3_Jack_Par said:

Is it just me, or has pace of play on the weekends been getting worse? I had a 2:45 front nine last weekend (followed by a "speedy" 2:15 on the back), and yesterday at Kensington Metropark, the group in front of us was still waiting to tee off when we got to about two thirds of the holes. It's getting to the point where I don't even want to bother playing on the weekends, but then I'd basically be left playing at the crack of dawn by myself for most of my rounds. 

Golf demand is crazy right now.  Even at private courses in Detroit area, I have heard hard to get a tee time and longer rounds.

• Like 1

9* G410 LST w/ AD-XC 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
20* Callaway XR Pro Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Taylormade Milled Grind Antique Bronze 54 and 58 w/ Modus Tour 120
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: -ProV1x

Weekend pace has been all over the map here on the west side -- have had a couple Saturday rounds just under four hours on one extreme and a 5:20+ slog around Pilgrim's Run on the other.  Demand is definitely crazy but there are times when you can get lucky and it's not completely packed.

On 9/20/2021 at 5:09 PM, 3_Jack_Par said:

Another round that took over 5 hours today. f*** this, I’m done playing on weekends until the weather gets bad and the crowds of slow hacks thin out

Edited by 3_Jack_Par
  • Like 2

Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x
Scratch SB-1 3-4 & 6-PW Nippon Modus3 120x or Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW Nippon Modus3 125x
Corey Paul 52*/Titleist Vokey Forged 58* K-Grind, Nippon Modus3 125 Blue Wedge shafts,  Titleist Vokey SM6 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

1 hour ago, 1puttTUT said:

Still better than suffering through that brutal Lion's loss 😅

Golf or not, there’s no way I’m wasting time watching that garbage team🤣

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I’m giving serious though to quitting golf. The slow play is driving me insane (just finished 4.5 hours on a Tuesday afternoon), and I’ve been playing like s*** for most of the year. I’ve tried to just enjoy being out there, but I don’t have fun when I play like crap, and I don’t really know how to fix myself. So, paying a bunch of money and taking big chunks of time to not have fun seems pretty stupid. I’m leaving in a couple days to go to L.A. for 2 weeks, and I’ll see if I feel like playing when I get back. If I’m going to continue, I probably need to take some lessons and figure out why my driving has gone to s***, because I can’t keep hitting it off the planet without losing my mind. I either need to figure out how to play better or quit, because it sucks to come off the course mad and/or depressed most of the time, and it’s stupid to put myself through that for something that is supposed to be fun.

Edited by 3_Jack_Par
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, 3_Jack_Par said:

I’m giving serious though to quitting golf. The slow play is driving me insane (just finished 4.5 hours on a Tuesday afternoon), and I’ve been playing like s*** for most of the year. I’ve tried to just enjoy being out there, but I don’t have fun when I play like crap, and I don’t really know how to fix myself. So, paying a bunch of money and taking big chunks of time to not have fun seems pretty stupid. I’m leaving in a couple days to go to L.A. for 2 weeks, and I’ll see if I feel like playing when I get back. If I’m going to continue, I probably need to take some lessons and figure out why my driving has gone to s***, because I can’t keep hitting it off the planet without losing my mind. I either need to figure out how to play better or quit, because it sucks to come off the course mad and/or depressed most of the time, and it’s stupid to put myself through that for something that is supposed to be fun.

So one of the guys I play with has a go to prescription when guys struggle.  Take 2 weeks off........ then quit.

Seriously, a bit of time away will do you a world of good I am sure.  Heck, being mid-October, maybe wait till next spring.  You're too good a player to have suddenly completely lost it without an easy fix being the likely solution.  Slow play, I don't have the answer other than pony up for a private club(which would have been a better option two years ago I am sure.)    

1 hour ago, 3_Jack_Par said:

I feel ya there.  I've struggled with performance because I haven't been able to play at *my* pace.  I love walking 9, because that gives me a chance to casually walk up to each ball and take in the scenery in order to plan my next shot.  This summer, every round I've played has been carts only, and I've either been incredibly rushed by groups pushing up my rear end, or waiting 5 minutes before each shot because of a group in front of me (usually held up by 2 or 3 groups in front of them).

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

1 hour ago, golfortennis said:

So one of the guys I play with has a go to prescription when guys struggle.  Take 2 weeks off........ then quit.

Seriously, a bit of time away will do you a world of good I am sure.  Heck, being mid-October, maybe wait till next spring.  You're too good a player to have suddenly completely lost it without an easy fix being the likely solution.  Slow play, I don't have the answer other than pony up for a private club(which would have been a better option two years ago I am sure.)    

I got to this point about 3 years ago. I quit for 6 weeks, then played a few times late in the year, and spent the winter working on my swing with a teacher, and changed my ball flight from a draw to a fade. I feel like I played better for a while, but I seem to have completely lost whatever I was doing, as I'm back to hitting a draw most of the time, though off the tee, it's kind of random what what ball flight I'll see when I look up. I think the problem is that I've never really dealt with the major underlying fault in my swing, which is that it is too reliant on timing with my hands. I've been playing for 35 years at this point, and I don't know that I'm really ever going to be able to do anything to improve that, and as I get older, I'm sure my timing isn't going to start getting better. 

Joining a club isn't really an option for me. My wife doesn't really play golf, and we don't have kids, so it would just be for me. There's nothing within 20 minutes of my house other than Meadowbrook (I do okay, but that's out of my price range), and I won't get out enough to somewhere like TPC/Western/Dearborn CC/Polo Fields/Lakelands to make it worthwhile. I probably played about 25-30 rounds at Salem Hills this year at the crack of dawn, where I can walk 18 holes in 2.5 hours, which may have warped my sense of what I can tolerate related to slow play, but it seems like every time I play when I'm not the first one off in the morning, the group in front of us is still on the damn tee when we get to the next hole. I just don't understand why courses allow a few painfully slow groups to screw up the experience for everyone else. I mean, I'm one of the more avid golfers around, and for slow play to be one of the major factors driving me to consider giving up the game, that has to be an indication of how bad it's gotten.

9 hours ago, 3_Jack_Par said:

I got to this point about 3 years ago. I quit for 6 weeks, then played a few times late in the year, and spent the winter working on my swing with a teacher, and changed my ball flight from a draw to a fade. I feel like I played better for a while, but I seem to have completely lost whatever I was doing, as I'm back to hitting a draw most of the time, though off the tee, it's kind of random what what ball flight I'll see when I look up. I think the problem is that I've never really dealt with the major underlying fault in my swing, which is that it is too reliant on timing with my hands. I've been playing for 35 years at this point, and I don't know that I'm really ever going to be able to do anything to improve that, and as I get older, I'm sure my timing isn't going to start getting better. 

Joining a club isn't really an option for me. My wife doesn't really play golf, and we don't have kids, so it would just be for me. There's nothing within 20 minutes of my house other than Meadowbrook (I do okay, but that's out of my price range), and I won't get out enough to somewhere like TPC/Western/Dearborn CC/Polo Fields/Lakelands to make it worthwhile. I probably played about 25-30 rounds at Salem Hills this year at the crack of dawn, where I can walk 18 holes in 2.5 hours, which may have warped my sense of what I can tolerate related to slow play, but it seems like every time I play when I'm not the first one off in the morning, the group in front of us is still on the damn tee when we get to the next hole. I just don't understand why courses allow a few painfully slow groups to screw up the experience for everyone else. I mean, I'm one of the more avid golfers around, and for slow play to be one of the major factors driving me to consider giving up the game, that has to be an indication of how bad it's gotten.

I wouldn't write yourself off in terms of being able to fix that.  You have it in you(or you never would have played as well as you did--that wasn't luck), just a matter of finding it.  Could there be some mental game work necessary?

Yeah 2.5 hours is wonderful, but not very realistic after the first couple groups.  Course owners have two problems:  1)they pack the tee sheet as tight as they can, thinking volume is what they need, when last year was a real life experiment showing that spacing out the tee times is what promotes good pace of play, and 2)they have this annoying mentality that if they piss off the slow group, they lose that group's business, not thinking that the 15 groups being held up are a lot more business that they will lose by tolerating the slow play.  Especially now when the demand for golf is so high, I do not get why they would continue to think that way.  

Take a few weeks off, maybe go bowling(I just had a dream about it so, I'll say it was a sign 🤪)...  and if you still don't have the itch, maybe a longer break is in order.  I went about 3 years barely playing in the oughts.  Getting away has its benefits as well.

10 hours ago, 3_Jack_Par said:

Golf is a frustrating game.  At the beginning of the year, I had to make a grip change to avoid injuring my hand along with equipment changes and my game really suffered.  My best round at my home course was 76 and I was consistently shooting 78-82.  My handicap got to the highest it had been in over a decade.  I was frustrated, but I still enjoyed playing.  

Then at the end of August, something clicked and game and scores have gotten much better.  Keep grinding.  It will come. 

On the pace of play, most private clubs in Detroit area are not a better option.  Tee sheets are full.  You should move to Battle Creek and join BCCC - affordable and quick rounds all the time!

9* G410 LST w/ AD-XC 6

10 hours ago, 3_Jack_Par said:

. There's nothing within 20 minutes of my house other than Meadowbrook (I do okay, but that's out of my price range), and I won't get out enough to somewhere like TPC/Western/Dearborn CC/Polo Fields/Lakelands to make it worthwhile. I probably played about 25-30 rounds at Salem Hills this year at the crack of dawn, where I can walk 18 holes in 2.5 hours, which may have warped my sense of what I can tolerate related to slow play, but it seems like every time I play when I'm not the first one off in the morning, the group in front of us is still on the damn tee when we get to the next hole

Getting groups around a golf course in a timely manner is a problem that resists an easy solution, at least if you are an operator and are trying to maximize your revenue.  If you're a player it's easy - way fewer groups, spread out those tee times, kick anyone off the course that's slow 😛  The reality, unfortunately, is that to play in 3 hours you have to be first off, play in abysmal weather, or be a Rockefeller.  Felt like hitting the lottery when I got around in 3:30 on Saturday.

Definitely sounds like a little time off would be a good idea.  It's amazing how many swing flaws you can forget when you're not out there grinding, at least that's been my experience.  Of course I acquire new ones, but that's a different issue.

Not sure if anyone else is a fan but the No Laying Up guys just dropped the trailer for their Michigan season.  Pretty excited as I really enjoy their content and can't wait to see some of the courses we have featured.  They even made it to Rackham! 

https://twitter.com/NoLayingUp/status/1448338914872340484?s=20

Edited by timbo08
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, Chanceman said:

No room for Belvedere?

Agree with @Chanceman@puttnforthe8 you'd really miss out if you didn't stop here. I can't think of a more pure place to play a round on that route you show. For that matter, not many this side of the pond.

Safe travels, hopefully you'll see what we do!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chanceman said:

The route I have planned for next year is

Warren Course @ ND

Stoatin Brae

Pilgrims Run

Tullymore

Forest Dunes/The Loop R&B

Arcadia Bluffs

Belvedere

Wawashkemo

Greywalls

so very similar to pF8. I will be interested to hear about ongoing experiences at American Dunes which could replace one of these. 

Just played American Dunes on Monday for the 3rd time this year. Easily top 5 course for me. Absolutely love the course and it has matured so much since June when I first played it. Back then the fairways were still new and you could tell. Now they are perfect. Absolute gem of a golf course and tribute to those who love this country. 

• Like 2

8.5* Ping G400 LST w/ Tensei Blue 60TX
15* TM M1 w/ Rogue Silver X
19* TM M1 w/80x Black Tie
4-PW Srixon Z745 w/ TTDG X100
Titleist SM6 52.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.10 S 
Taylormade Spider Tour Black
Taylormade TP5

2 hours ago, Go_Blue! said:

Just played American Dunes on Monday for the 3rd time this year. Easily top 5 course for me. Absolutely love the course and it has matured so much since June when I first played it. Back then the fairways were still new and you could tell. Now they are perfect. Absolute gem of a golf course and tribute to those who love this country. 

Having played it again over the weekend I'm looking forward to seeing it in the spring -- honestly it looked to me like a course that has seen a TON of play (which it has) and could use a little downtime to let the fairways recover.  Too many (filled) divots.  Greens are still very good (with ~ 1 exception).  Some areas in the rough have taken a beating from cart traffic but only so much you can do about that. 

No idea what they have planned for fall maintenance but I would imagine if they did some after closing (like Forest Dunes does, for example) with a little warm weather before they open in the spring conditions should be pristine.

12 hours ago, putterboy75 said:

Agree with @Chanceman@puttnforthe8 you'd really miss out if you didn't stop here. I can't think of a more pure place to play a round on that route you show. For that matter, not many this side of the pond.

Safe travels, hopefully you'll see what we do!

Looks good...thanks.  That seems like a doable 36 hole day!

15 hours ago, Chanceman said:

Wawashkemo

Thoughts on this course .... Been thinking of getting to the other side of the UP but dunno if it's worth it or if there is anything along the way.  I see Pictured Rocks and Bay Mills, not sure those would be worthy of a play?

Played Timberstone, Greywalls, and Gladstone for the first time this year and enjoyed them all.  Also really like Sweetgrass and Sage Run.  UP has some seriously good golf options!

Edited by ode

On 10/15/2021 at 5:32 AM, Chanceman said:

The route I have planned for next year is

Warren Course @ ND

Stoatin Brae

Pilgrims Run

Tullymore

Forest Dunes/The Loop R&B

Arcadia Bluffs

Belvedere

Wawashkemo

Greywalls

so very similar to pF8. I will be interested to hear about ongoing experiences at American Dunes which could replace one of these. 

If you want to play American Dunes, sub out Stoatin Brae for that.

I would also consider subbing out Belvedere for a course at Boyne Highlands or Black Lake. 

• Like 1

9* G410 LST w/ AD-XC 6

I was playing best golf of my life in spring and early summer, and also played Whistling Straits and other top courses before losing my game.  I got so pissed off and didn't know the problem and quit golf as it was not fun anymore.  I unfollowed everything and everyone golf related on YouTube and Instagram.  After a 2 month break I played today with son and played pretty good. After a great day of golf and little Rickie Fowler leading CJ cup today, I might be back😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/14/2021 at 9:41 PM, puttnforthe8 said:

This is the trip I have put together based on everyone's inputs.

The main question I have is about logistics and where to stay.  Are the Stay and Play at Forest and Arcadia good options?  

image.png.9920d5ed7d29595d8fd6381e896a6e55.png

Arcadia and FD both have fantastic places to stay. If you are willing to pay for it, i would highly recommend it. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, N8dogg2669 said:

Arcadia and FD both have fantastic places to stay. If you are willing to pay for it, i would highly recommend it. 

Agreed.  Depending on what your itinerary and budget looks like I'd personally recommend doing FD/Loop/Bootlegger, stay on property (I think it's a bit more affordable than Arcadia) for 1 night, play the Loop the other way then head to Boyne Highlands and stay there or at Crooked Tree.  Add an arrival round at Boyne with the Hills or Crooked Tree if you don't want to pay an up charge.  If you have more than a foursome, just get a townhouse, they are cheap.  Don't stay at the Mountain it's way out of the way.  Play your arrival round, stay the night, play in the AM then head to Arcadia.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...