Describe your first set of clubs, year purchased and price you paid.

GoletaGolfer

My first purchase of clubs was in 1980. I was 19 years old and a buddy sold me a set of Wilson Staff irons 3-9 and D,3,4 woods and a putter.

Bag and pull cart were included also.

Did not realize for years that Wilson blades were the worst beginner's clubs I could buy, and the regular shafted woods were way to whippy for a strong 19 year old.

PW and sand wedge probably would have come in handy! 🙂

Eighty bucks.

My first set of clubs were a U.S. Golf kids set for around 100 when I was about 6 or 7 years old in 2008ish although I didn’t buy them. Didn’t start seriously playing golf until February of last year which was my dads 3rd attempt to get me into the sport and it worked. It was a starter set of strata clubs for around 300 and I just turned 18. Looking back I’ve come a long way since then.

Driver: TM SIM 2 9* w/Diamana S+ Limited 60g

Wood: TM SIM Max 15* w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 60g

Hybrid: TM SIM Max 19* HB w/HZRDUS Black Smoke 85g

Irons: TM p750 4-PW w/TT Dynamic gold X100 TI

Wedges: Nike SV Tour 52* w/TT Dynamic gold s400,

Vokey SM8 56* & 60* w/SM8 Stock Shafts

Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Mid

Ball: Titleist Pro V1/Bridgestone Tour B X

In 1988 I bought a new, complete set of MacGregor Golden Bear clubs from K-Mart.  The set included 3i-PW, driver, 3, and 5 woods.  Cost was $189.  I ordered the matching sand wedge from my home course pro shop.  I think it was around $45-$50.  Also bought a new Ping Anser 3 putter at the pro shop for $45.  It's the set I learned on and played up until 2005 when I quit playing.  I still have it.  The (metal) woods are horrible, but the irons are pretty good.  

• Thanks 1

Back in 1995 I asked for a set of golf clubs for Christmas(never played). I really had my heart set on the shopko specials with graphite shafts.  

I ended up with a set of king cobra oversize with steel shafts(1,3,5 wood and 3-pw and a staff bag). I was so disappointed because I had never heard of them and thought they were a cheaper brand.  

The first day back from Christmas break, and I’m telling my buddies about these cheap knock offs I got. 🤦‍♂️
I was soon informed that I was the luckiest guy and had some top notch clubs on my hand. Thanks grandma and grandpa!

Took the  game a bit more seriously from that point on. 

Edited by lvgolfer962
  • Like 2

I was loaned a set of Northwestern blades to begin playing in 1990. I snapped the 8i shaft at the ferrule after 2 months. So, the owner takes his Northwesterns back, and says, let's go see Leon Pounders and get you your own irons.

I've seen a few photos of the Niles hoard...folks...the Pounders hoard easily matched it and likely could have beat it! Anyway, Mr. Pounders(RIP), fit me to my FirstFlights in 1990 for $40.

These 2i-PW FX-101's, are in my bag now, and have always found their way back in the bag for 30 years.

1115201459_HDR.jpg

1115201503a~2.jpg

• Like 4

1975.  Got a set of Spalding Johnny Pott signature irons at a garage sale, w/bag and included woods and putter that I don't remember.  $25.  I was 12 yrs old and that set included the 2i.  If you can imagine what a 12yo trying to hit an adult length 2i looks like - well that's what it looked like.  

image.png.cde862594f2cd91f69e226e1cd35a56c.png

Edited by the bishop

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

The first full set I got was a set of Wilson cavity back clubs.  I believe they were 1200 let’s but not sure.  My dad cut them down and I played them until I outgrew them.  The first set I bought was a set of ping zings in around 1993.  I mowed a lot of lawns for them.  I have very fond memories of those clubs and could probably play those ugly dudes now without it effecting my handicap that much.  I know they were red dot, because my dad liked his clubs flat, and my swing was similar, but I have no idea on shaft other than that they were stiff.  Last Christmas I was trying to find them in my dads basement but my stepmom said they sold them at a yard sale 🙄 

I bought my first set in 1996 almost a year before Eldrick won his first major.  It was a Square Two box set of some sort that I found at the local golf shop.  The owner recommended them because I was just getting started and, at that time, only had a passing interest.  I frequented that shop all the time and almost a year later I traded those in and bought some PING ISIs...

Driver PING G SF Tec

Wood PING G (18.5*)

Irons PING G30 (6-SW)

Putter PING DS72 2021 (35")

Bag Jones Classic Stand

Cart Clicgear 3.5+

The first set of clubs I ever played were 1978 Wilson Staff Tour Blades, given to my dad by a friend.  Started playing them in 1985 when I was 10 years old.  I played those for 6 years until I made my HS golf team and my parents bought me a set of TA 845s, which I still have in my garage.  I wish I had hung onto the Wilsons. 

I was about 10 when I got my first set, a 7 piece set of Campbell blades + Driver and 3w all womens.  I was tall and skinny so my Dad decided that's what I needed.  Added the remains of a set of Wilson irons and a SW a year later then a Sam Snead blonde 5W that stayed in my bag until I eventually replaced it with a metal 5W when I was about 30 in the early 90's.

Big Bertha Alpha 815 Speeder 565 R or TMAG SIM max Riptide R shaft
XHot Callaway 3w
19, 23 & 26 X2Hot Callaway
5 to Gap Apex DCB Recoil Dart F3
Scotty Kombi
52/11 Cleveland CBX 56 Tmag ATV

Ping Eye 2+s 3-Lw from one of the shop staff I always looked up to when I was a junior golfer only to find out he had a major drug problem throughout his life and that would make sense given the fact that another shop staff who was kind of a ***** told me the LW was actually his. It was becu and I loved it for the week I had it. Paid 300 for the set in 1995. Beat the ever living daylights out of them, got to scratch at 16 a year after buying them. I had a Titleist PT driver and a Golfcraft persimmon 3 followed by a Hogan Radial 3-wood. Think that one was a laminate,, but I've never ever hit a club so straight. Used a bullseye, cut down with a shaft filled with sand. Won a tournament and got a Ping Zing 2 which I subsequently traded for an anser3 at the BC Junior at Predator Ridge in Vernon BC. Loved that putter. Beat the hell out of it too.

Got a set of ISI BECU for graduation and sold the set of pings with a broken 6 iron and a few other bent shafts for the same price I got them for a couple years later. The ISIs lasted a few years before they were stolen.

Edited by Christen_The_Sloop

my first set was given to me by my dad.....1980.......back then there were a lot of "technology" being introduced, but everything was a blade and thats how i learned to play....blades all day.....my dad played a bag full of "Hybrids" all the way through a 7 wood I believe......and he had what was called a "low profile" 5 iron, which was basically half the height of a normal 5 iron....it was a great club. 

Its funny to see all the hybrids making a big comeback and other "new tech" which is really just a rebot of ald clubs fron 40 years ago....we really are not that advanced in the industry as club makers are handcuffed by the governing bodies. 

but to stay on subject, i was handed a set of wilson staff blades that were 7 years old.....the grips were slicker than oil too!!!

My first set was Daiwa Monodyne blades 2-SW s300 shafts. I had Hogan Speedslot persimmons from my grandpa, Driver, 2w, 4w. The first set I purchased was Daiwa Advisor 2-sw with x100. I think it was in 1992 and they were used for around $140 if I remember correctly. Both were just incredible blades. Still two of the best sets I ever had. 

ADF7F41A-B0D3-4E73-A7F5-48587540B29C.jpeg

9B6AFE2A-5CEE-4F57-8230-8197296FEA2C.jpeg

595DF18D-4223-4AB9-ACC0-65CF94D2D5F4.jpeg

Edited by mogc60
  • Like 1

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

A box-set of Northwesterns. I learned the game on them. I want to say 10/11 years old, so late 90s. 

Were they crap? Absolutely. But I loved and cherished them. I also had a cheap Dunlop putter, and I remember taking white out and putting the Scotty Cameron Te3 dots all over the back because Tiger used one at the Masters. 

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 Max (Ventus Velocore TR Red 6x)

4W: Titleist Tsi2 16.5* (Hazardus Smoke RDX 70)

7W: Titleist 910 21* (UST Mamiya Attas 75)

Irons: Handmade Stix LB-1 4-PW (Dynamic Gold X100)

Wedges: 50*, 54* & 60* Vokey SM9 (Dynamic Gold S400)

Putter: Odyssey Toulon Austin 

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

My parents bought me my first set of irons in 1970-72. Not sure

Macgregor Jack Nicklaus Triple Crown.

2-9, I think they were $100.

I used hand me down woods until about 1981, when my Dad bought me a 1-3-5 set of Pinseeker Bombshell metal woods.

In 1983 I bought a set of Palmer Standard blades 1-SW.

Still have them.

I play Maltby Forged TEs now.

20 minutes ago, wrm2120 said:

A box-set of Northwesterns. I learned the game on them. I want to say 10/11 years old, so late 90s. 

Were they crap? Absolutely. But I loved and cherished them. I also had a cheap Dunlop putter, and I remember taking white out and putting the Scotty Cameron Te3 dots all over the back because Tiger used one at the Masters. 

Same here, box set of Northwesterns maybe in like 2002 or so

My first "real" set was Tommy Armour 845s a couple years later

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Had a junior set of the Taylormade Burners with the bubble shafts.  Didn't buy them..

First full set was my dad's hand-me-downs when I was tall enough after he bought a new set of Callaways

Ever since then just been piecing my sets together through random purchases/builds, first newer set of irons I bought were TM Rocketbladez Tour used for like $325

Callaway Rogue SubZero 9* 

TEE CBX 119 4wd 16.5*

Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 3h 19*

Wilson Staff C300 Forged 4i

Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 5-GW

Scratch 56* DS

Toulon Atlanta

1980. Wilson Johnny Miller irons, brass weight on back.  Cast set.  Got them used from a newspaper ad 3-PW but missing a 6 iron.  Went to Sears and they gave me a free one from the store and then somehow managed to order me another replacement one as well in error

I was 13 and was literally hooked for life after a hockey buddy dragged me out for 9 holes.  Changed my life.

When I was 16, playing off a 4 cap and in junior tournaments, my Dad got me some Staff tour blades and laminated woods

When I was 19 I graduated to the very new at the time TMade tour preferred TP blades, with the hollow 1, 2, 3 and 4 irons and played those right thru 1992 for university golf.  That 2 iron was my moneymaker.  Tight par 4’s, reaching par 5’s in two, long par 3’s.  It was 210 club back in the day.

• Like 2

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

The first set I bought was in 1972 with high school graduation money. Went to Bert Dargie’s in Memphis a bought a set MacGregor MT Tourney split sole irons and laminated woods. As I recall the whole set was $169.

9F09CD92-141B-4DB8-980C-BCB2B86BE48C.jpeg

• Like 2

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Graphite 
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

It was a set of '72 Hogan Apex in 1979. I "bought" them used from my uncle by washing his car and mowing his yard all  summer between my sophomore and junior year of high school.

• Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

Likely around 1976 and it was a  Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge 7 pc set.  Leather Reminder grips.  Cost was $75 with a bag.

Clubs & Shafts - Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge

• Like 2

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

I was 12 - 5'5" maybe 100 pounds.  Standard men's clubs too long for me so I "fit" myself, lol, and ordered a set of Ram Kathy Cornelius clubs (D, 3w, 5w, 3, 5, 7, 9) out of an Austad's catalog and sent in an order form/check by mail.  No idea what they cost, but I had a set!

Xmas three years later my dad got me my first "full" set of men's clubs (I think he figured the powder blue woods needed to go and I was heading towards 6' tall and beyond and going through pants and shoes like crazy for another 2  years after that, haha) - and of course to make them perfect they all had Jack Nicklaus' name on them!  

• Like 2

I think my Dad paid $40 for the irons, a driver and a 5 wood

Got a ridiculously ugly brown Cooper golf bag from the old retail catalog outfit called Consumers Distributing

I played for 2 years without a sand wedge and used some old Ray Cook mallet my Dad’s buddy gave me 

1 hour ago, cardoustie said:

1980. Wilson Johnny Miller irons, brass weight on back.  Cast set.  Got them used from a newspaper ad 3-PW but missing a 6 iron.  Went to Sears and they gave me a free one from the store and then somehow managed to order me another replacement one as well in error

I was 13 and was literally hooked for life after a hockey buddy dragged me out for 9 holes.  Changed my life.

When I was 16, playing off a 4 cap and in junior tournaments, my Dad got me some Staff tour blades and laminated woods

When I was 19 I graduated to the very new at the time TMade tour preferred TP blades, with the hollow 1, 2, 3 and 4 irons and played those right thru 1992 for university golf.  That 2 iron was my moneymaker.  Tight par 4’s, reaching par 5’s in two, long par 3’s.  It was 210 club back in the day.

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

For me it was probably a 5-PW set of Fazer irons in 2000 for $80 CDN.  I was so new into golf at that time when people told me that my clubs were Ping Eye 2 clones, I didn't even know what an Eye 2 was and never heard of Ping.

Edited by cgasucks
  • Like 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I started with a hand-me-down set of blades... They're probably still in my parents basement.

The first set I purchased was a set of Adams Tight Lies irons... purchased from a Golfsmith catalog.  I saved up and I bought them because they came with a free 3 wood.  Followed it up with a Odyssey White Hot #1 and a Taylor Made 360 driver.  I still have the irons today

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

I had the obligatory women's clubs as a youngster, then a set of Ping Eye 2 knock-offs.  After my Freshman year in High School, my dad made me a deal that if I finished in the top 15, made all A's, and contributed 100.00 from my chore money we would go out and get a new set of irons.  In 1991 it was a set of Tommy Armour 845's, and I believe they were 449.00.  They had branded tour step shafts, I believe.   I got a s2h2 three wood and a Big Bertha driver that year as well, both had a Brunswick Rifle 7.0 shaft in them later.  I got them from the first semester and chore money as well.  They were re-shafted with the Bruswick's in 1993 I believe.  I still have the s2h2 three wood.  I played it through 2000.  

I played those 845's all that summer until the end of the summer before my Senior year.  I had won a set on Zing's that I hated, and traded them to a kid at my club for Maxfli VHL's and some cash from his dad.  I played the Maxfli's my Senior year won the NCHSAA tourney, and played in the NC am finals and made it to the US am with those irons.  Set a couple of course records, one that will stand forever as that course closed.  I played them even after in college the Mizuno rep came in and fitted me for a set of MP-14's. 

I still have the 845's and the VHL's both.  My step son is playing the 845's now(he just turned 15).  No one plays the VHL's.  LOL

Edited by driveandputtmachine
  • Like 2
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

My first set in 1985 was Ping Karsten III 3-PW, $250, used, from Golf Discount in St. Louis.

I added an Eye 2 Sw, TM Burner 9.5* driver and 15* 3 wood.

Not sure how much those cost.

I still have the Ping Anser putter that I bought new for $85 to complete the set.

There wasn't much available for lefties in those days.

Ping G400 Max, G20, Callaway Epic
TEE 3 Wood  Aeroburner 16.5 HL
TEE 5 Wood/ Callaway Apex 3 Hybrid
PXG 2021 0211 DC 4-PW/ Cobra Amp Cell 4-PW
Callaway MD4 50,54,58  Mizuno MP T10 Wedges 52,56,60
Scotty Cameron

pxg 0211 dc irons.jpg