Describe your first set of clubs, year purchased and price you paid.

GoletaGolfer

RBZ irons/woods used, like new, from someone on Craigslist I think.  They could have been fake, but I was just starting so they served their purpose.  It was 2013 and I think I paid around $600.  

Sun Mountain C130-S / Titleist TSi4 9* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 TX / Titleist TSi3 15* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80 TX / New Level NLU-01 18* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5 / New Level 902 Forged 4-PW DG TI X100 / Vokey SM8 50,54,58 DG S200 / Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven

My dad got me a set of (I think) Honeycomb irons in the early/mid 70's (early teens). I remember lusting after Lynx irons but then drifted away from the game. Came back to it in the late 80's and bought a set of DCI gold irons including a 1-iron that I used off the tee. I hit those quite well. Then drifted away from the game, came back a few years ago and have already gone through three different sets of irons 😁

G400Max Xtorsion 60S | G425 5W Orange 75S - 4H-6H Orange 80S

XL Halo 8-DW CypherS | Glide3 Eye2 55-60 Recoil Proto W | Nova

in rotation: F9 3W Devo 7S - 3H Devo 8S - G425 7H | ER2B

Sometime in the late 70's I was given a limited box set of Wilson junior clubs - Driver, 3,5,7, and 9 irons and a putter. Played that set for a few years. 

Then, my dad bought me a full set of Spalding Executives with "persimmon" woods. Played that set until the mid 90's when I invested in a set of Wilson Fat Shafts.

It's hard to believe I continued playing the game.

I finally bought my first "legitimate" set of irons in the late 90's when I purchased some Izzo Bladez out of a dude's trunk at Wilshire Golf Course in south-east Denver. I eventually gave those clubs to my brother, who traded them in on a used set of Cleveland TA2's. I wish I had those Izzo's back. 

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

A Macgregor/Nicklaus Junior set - came with a 3W, 5, 7 and 9 iron ... MAYBE a PW? ... and a little Bullseye style putter. '86. I paid $0 for them because I was 8 years old haha. But dad always made me do SOME sort of work to earn anything he'd buy me so I probably did some manner of child labor at his auctioneering business. 

Can't find any photos of any like them to save my life. 

Edited by aenemated

Titleist TSi3 10.5°

Titleist TSi3 15°

Titleist TS2 18°

Taylormade P7TW 4-PW

Taylormade MG2 52°, 54TW°, 60TW°

Scotty Cameron Newport 

1989 Spalding starter set. Wooden 1 wood, 3 wood, 3, 5, 7, 9 and blade putter from the Sears catalog. I bought a Mcgregor metal 5 wood and sand wedge from the bargain bin at Nevada Bob's. My high school girlfriend bought me a Tiger Shark putter for my 18th birthday.

Took golf as a PE credit in junior college and played on the team the second year. I played the hell out of those ghetto sticks.

<edit> price was like $98 for the set, my SW was $8 and the 5 wood was $15. I think my putter was like $45, I still have it.

Edited by lefthack

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Honma XP-1 3 wood 

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Byrdie Golf Designs split cavity 4-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

My first set was bought in 1985 from J.C. Penney's. 7 piece starter set. Wooden driver & 3 fairway plus 3, 5, 7, 9 iron & 2 way putter. Pretty sure it was $79.95.

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra F9 @ 11.5 Degrees

5 Wood: Cobra RadSpeed @ 17.5 Degrees

Hybrid: Cobra 3-4 OS @ 20.5 degrees

Hybrid: Cobra SpeedZone @ 24 Degrees

Irons: Callaway Apex 19's 6-SW

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degrees

Putter: PXG Closer

First set of clubs was a used set of Hogan Edge GS with graphite shafts extra stiff. I sopped playing baseball after my Freshman year in High School and decided I wanted to play golf. I think they were $150. I played them through high school and college. Still have them in the closet somewhere. They didn’t fit me then and don’t fit me know haha. Too upright and I think they are a 1/2” longer than standard. It’s all I had to work with at the time and I got them to work pretty good. Was the only guy playing with graphite shafted irons. 25 years ago people thought it was strange using graphite shafts in irons but I thought it was different and cool haha.

When I was 16 (this was in '95), I decided I wanted to give golf a try.  I got a free set of MacGregor Golden Bear cavity backs.  I have no idea from where or what shafts were in them.  I maybe played 5 or 6 rounds of golf over the next 15 years. 

When I was 29, I decided to actually pick up the game because my brother and father-in-law played and I missed having a spring/summer sport.  The first set I purchased were TM R7 irons with whatever stock stiff shafts were in them.  I also picked up a TM Bruner ('07) driver.  Both the irons and the driver were a season old, so I got them on sale.  I think the R7 irons (4-G) were $399 and I think the Burner was $130. 

Edited by forrester_fire

My first set was a set of Wilson irons with golden bear woods. That 3 wood was so long lol, super deep face. Got them from my uncle when I first played when I was about 12. Was a big baseball player, got along okay around the course and shot in the low 110's probably. First set I bought was 2018ish. Callaway X-18's from PGA Superstore for $60, 4-PW and a XR16 driver. From there caught the bug and went from a 22 HC in summer 2018, to low single digits now. Bag looks a little different now!  

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0* (Tensei AV Blue) 

Callaway Mavrik 15* (Evenflow Riptide)

Callaway XForged UT 18* (AD DI)

Mizuno JPX 900 18* (Fujikura Speeder Evo II)

Titleist 818H2 22* (Evenflow)

Srixon ZX7 5-PW (Project X LZ)

Cleveland Zip Core Tour Rack 50,54,58 (DG Tour Issue Spinner)

Mizuno M Craft IV Blue Ion

Srixon ZStar XV

Grab bag: Kirkland KS1, Ping G5i Ally, Oworks #7, White Hot 2ball

First set I bought on my own was when I was 15., 1975. Paid something like $75 for a used set of '67 Wilson Staff X31 3-P and a new Ping Ayd putter for $50 at the pro shop (might have been on sale, don't remember). Before then it was a very old beat up mixed set of irons and woods that were cobbled together from parents and grandparents. 

Didn't have enough to get woods so my Dad let me borrow his Wilson 1200 4 wood (permanently borrowed, lol) and sometimes his Driver.

Played a lot of jr golf and HS matches using only a 4 wood.

Never gave it a thought and didn't pony up for my own til college.

Used the PW for everything 120 yards in, including bunkers.

simple times

Edited by tannyhoban
One more thing

Austad's Senator Junior Set ... Driver, 3 Wood, 5-7-9-PW, Putter ... "bag" was basically a cardboard tube. Woods were beautiful black laminated. Irons were muscleback blades. Putter was shiny silver 2-way blade. Best of tech for late 1970s. 

Driver: TaylorMade M3, 10.5*
Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19*
5-GW: Titleist 718 AP1, 24*-48*
SW: Ping Glide 2.0 ES, 56*
Putter: Bettinardi iNOVAi 5.0
Ball: Bridgestone B RX
Bag: Ping Mascot

7 hours ago, cardoustie said:

I think my Dad paid $40 for the irons, a driver and a 5 wood

Got a ridiculously ugly brown Cooper golf bag from the old retail catalog outfit called Consumers Distributing

I played for 2 years without a sand wedge and used some old Ray Cook mallet my Dad’s buddy gave me 

Consumers Distributing...What a concept back in the 70’s.  Look up what you want in a catalogue, fill out a form and they brought it out from the back.  70’s version of eBay.   My dad bought an 11 pce Wilson set  and a set of Spalding’s for my mom. Clubs, bags and carts.  Likely played them for 20 years. 

• Like 1

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Ping Zing 2-PW in 1993. Just graduated High School and had never played golf, other than smashing balls at a driving range. Summer before freshman year of college. I was heading to UMass to play baseball and my roommate to be was from a few towns over. We started hanging out and his dad and him were big golfers. Played once and I was totally hooked. Owner of the local course was selling his used set of Zings and I picked them up for $200 bucks. Christ, I think I played 36 holes a day almost that whole summer. 28 years later and I’m still playing at the course whenever I can. Owner just sold the course last year and retired to Hawaii. The Zings still sit in my basement. Something about golf, man... 

• Like 2

B21 Driver 9* VeloCore Black 6X

Sim Ti 3W EvenFlow Black 75X

Sim Max 5W EvenFlow Black 75X

M4 7HL EvenFlow Blue 75X

SIM Max 6H EvenFlow Black 85X

Sim Max 7-U KBS Max Stiff

PM Grind ‘19 Tour Grey 56 & 60

Spider Tour 

Pro V1

Ping Eye 2 woods 1-3-5-7 

Diawa Hi-Trac Plus irons 3-PW Graphite shafts 

Ben Hogan BeCu SW 55*

Ping Pal 2 putter (it’s still in my bag today) 

Ball: Maxfli Balata 

I started working in the summer of 91’ at 15 years old at the local country club, and the golf course owner gave me the set. They were his past set, but he liked the Hogan Edge Forged Cavity backs he had better, so the Diawa’s became his back up set. He was a scratch golfer in his mid 50’s and taught me how to play. 

I gave away the set and two other sets to my cousins that don’t really play golf (they play 1 memorial tournament a year, and one of them has a work scramble once a year.) They collectively have my first 3 sets 

1. Diawa Hi-Trac Plus 

2 Hogan Apex 92’      

3 Wilson Staff progressives 95?

Edited by Drivingrangehero
  • Like 1

Forst ever set was a Greg Norman Cobra Jr set. Had driver, 3-5-7-9-PW, and a bag. The were mini blades. It was about $200 back in 1992. 

First real set was a set of Cobra Baffler Blades when I was 14. I bought them from my great uncle for $90.  I realize now how hard those were to play, but honestly I think they made me a better player in the long run.  

Early 1980s.  Neighbor gave away some old cut down MacGregor irons (ceramic inserts, probably from the 1960s) after they went unsold at a garage sale.  There were some other old clubs in the set.  They were all beat up and abused.  Got me started at age 13.

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 8.5° A-1 setting Aldila Tour Green 65g stiff

Wood:  Titleist 980F 17° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 21° Aldila Voodoo stiff 

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

My first set was a 1 & 3 wood Titleist by Acushnet persimmon woods with Hogan Apex 2-equilizer irons. I think the loft on the "e" was 52* and I also had a 56* sw.

No idea what they cost.  Back in 1982 or so my Dad bought them used from his boss. His boss had them regripped with leather grips and sold them for the price of the grips.

I still have the woods, they had been refinished and put in a closet several years ago. Gave the irons to a friend and lost track of them.

Callaway Mavrik Max Driver
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 wood
Ping G25 20 & 23 hybrid G30 26 hybrid
Ping i200 6- uw
Ping Glide 3.0  54 & 60
Odyssey OG #7

17 hours ago, Socrates said:

Consumers Distributing...What a concept back in the 70’s.  Look up what you want in a catalogue, fill out a form and they brought it out from the back.  70’s version of eBay.   My dad bought an 11 pce Wilson set  and a set of Spalding’s for my mom. Clubs, bags and carts.  Likely played them for 20 years. 

I'll see your Consumers Distributing and raise you with Arlington Sports in 1982.

Bought as set of Spalding Executives, Driver,3W, 5W, and 3-SW. Imitation Bullseye putter and a pleather Cooper golf bag.

I still have the heads except for the 8i which I lost.

Vintage-Spalding-Executive-Irons-Set-3-PW-Regular-Flex-_57.jpg

Edited by jvincent
  • Like 2

Cobra RAD Speed 9* : KBS TD 70 Cat 3 / Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra RAD Speed 3W : Graphite Design AD TP8-S

Srixon ZXU #2 : Nippon Modus 3 120-S

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54: Nippon Modus2 120/125 S 

Cobra MIM Black 58 : Nippon 125 Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

My first set was an assortment of my dad's old clubs in a plaid bag with one rather painful strap.  LOL that was 1966 when I was 11 years old.  After that I got my dad's old fiber glass shafted irons I think they were called Shakespeare not sure.  I had one, two, three and four woods and loved that old two wood.  The woods were real old and of unknown origin and the whipping on several of them was held on with friction tape.  I think that the grips were also wrapped with friction tape if I remember correctly.  I bought a set of Hogan radial irons in the 70s from a driving range that used to be in Aptos.  The did not tell me that the five iron was bent and it was a few weeks before I discovered that.  I kept them anyway...  Eventually I straightened out the five iron in a vice and ended up selling the set to a friend.  

Driver Maltby KE4 w Aeortech Steelfiber SS65 shaft 46.5”
3 wood Rogue subzero 15 degree with Paderson KG70 F30
Hybrids: 3, 4 and 5 Rogue with Steelfiber HLS980 shaft
Irons: 6 through wedge PXG 0311 with Steelfiber i110cw shaft
Wedge: 50 deg 10 deg bounce MacDaddy 4 S Grind
Wedge: 56 deg 10 deg bounce Jaws S Grind
Wedge: 62 deg 10 deg bounce MacDaddy 4 C Grind (bent to 62 degrees from 60 degrees)
Wedges with steelfiber i110 shafts.
Putter: Strokelab EXO 7; 39.25 inches; 77 degree lie angle; Takimac arthritic grip

My first set was my Dad's Wilson Sam Snead signature irons.

The first set I purchased was Tommy Armour Silver Scott 845's.  Can't remember the price but they were solid!

Callaway Epic Max with Tensei Blue Raw

TM Sim Max 5 wood with Ventus Blue

TM Sim Max 3 hybrid with Ventus Blue

TM M6 5 hybrid with Hzrdus 

Srixon ZX5 5i&6i with Recoil 95 F4

Srixon ZX7 7i- PW with Recoil 95 F4

52 and 56 degree Ping Forged with Recoil 110 F4

60 Glide 2 with SF 110

Ping Prime Tyne or Spider Tour Black

21 hours ago, lvgolfer962 said:

Back in 1995 I asked for a set of golf clubs for Christmas(never played). I really had my heart set on the shopko specials with graphite shafts.  

I ended up with a set of king cobra oversize with steel shafts(1,3,5 wood and 3-pw and a staff bag). 

+1 for the King Cobra Oversized. Early 1996, I think. 

They were the first set of clubs I bought with my own money. Paid about $450 for the whole set, including woods.  I hated the woods (stock shafts were horrible), but played the irons for 18 years.  One funny thing I was thinking about the other day...I never re-gripped them.  I am sure they needed it but they didn't feel slick to me. 

• Like 1

Driver: PING G410 Plus, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6S
3W: Titleist D917 13.5 @ 15, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7S
5W: Titleist D917 18 @ 18.75, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8S
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 21 @ 22, Diamana D+ 100 Hybrid
Irons: PING i210 (5-U), Nippon Modus 120S
Wedges: PING Glide (54 SS, 58 WS), PING CFS Wedge
Putter: PING Sigma 2 Arna
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

3 hours ago, Nels55 said:

My first set was an assortment of my dad's old clubs in a plaid bag with one rather painful strap.  LOL that was 1966 when I was 11 years old.

Mine's more complicated than the Nels saga. Let's go back to 1963, and I'm just starting to caddie in summer of sixth grade. Only real golfer in our extended family is my aunt, who is an Air Force officer and quite a good golfer.

I want to start playing, but have no clubs.

One summer day, my younger brother spots a bag of golf clubs hanging off the side of the trash truck. He trades the driver our family's last functional tricycle for the clubs. (So our cost basis is the price of a tricycle cost circa 1959 (?), plus four years of depreciation. Being a vehicle, I suspect tricycles fall under straight-line depreciation).

We get a true mixed golf bag. Two Spalding fairway woods a couple of years old, a weighted training driver, and an assortment of irons from 1930s with Pyratone shafts (early steel with fake wood lamination).

And, there's a broken off wooden-shafted putter head in the bottom of the bag. My dad fashioned the original "fatso" putter shaft out of an old bamboo rake handle. The putter actually worked for a season.

After a season of too heavy clubs, our Dad sprung for a Sears starter set: 3-5-7-9 iron, a driver and 3W, and a putter, and a bag! (In the 1960s, most department stores carried a set of starter golf clubs).

And, the rest is history! (Sorry, we have no WITB pix from 1963).

• Like 4

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, set 9.5°; weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

2 hours ago, NorthStar7 said:

+1 for the King Cobra Oversized. Early 1996, I think. 

They were the first set of clubs I bought with my own money. Paid about $450 for the whole set, including woods.  I hated the woods (stock shafts were horrible), but played the irons for 18 years.  One funny thing I was thinking about the other day...I never re-gripped them.  I am sure they needed it but they didn't feel slick to me. 

I could never hit the driver, that thing would just not get up in the air for me. 

I hit the irons sky high, ended up trading them for a set of the oversize Norman grinds after the first year.  (Still have those) 

Early September, 1998.  My younger stepson had discovered golf a couple years prior and loved hitting balls on the range.  I wound up hitting a few balls and eventually started playing, to the point needed my own clubs.

Off to the local sporting goods store, where I wound up buying a box set of Dunlop Airfoil clubs.  The irons were sold as having a "resin dampened cavity."  Came with 1-3-5 woods, basic stainless steel with a generic version of a bubble shaft.  $169 USD.

Used them for about a year, discovered the golf nerd world and other options, and off I went.  

Edit:  the Dunlop set didn't include a SW or putter.  Bought one of each at Target, a cheap $20 SW and a $5 Anser copy that had a sound slot and a sight line. 

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), NV75 X -or- SpeedZone 10.5*, Aldila ProtoPype 70 S, 44-3/8"

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

Hmmm original PING Eye irons. 2-SW, black dot.  I can’t remember driver or woods. Had a Tiger Shark putter. My dad purchased the entire set from our neighbor who unfortunately passed from a heart attack in his 50’s (way too young). I don’t remember my age. But it was in the early 90’s and I was maybe 10.  Good times. 

I used to go play with my dad and then a couple of friends. Boy did I suck lol. Everything was a fade. Long clubs big slice.  Couldn’t chip or put to save my life.  

Couple of years later I got my dads handy down PING Eye 2 irons. Boy do I wish I still had those smh. Had that set for 20 years.  I do remember lusting over a set of Cleveland VAS 792 irons, so must have been 1993 the first year I started playing a lot. Never got any good or played a lot until about 6 years ago as I stopped playing but more than once or twice a year.  

Edited by LaymanM
  • Like 1

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

My first set was a starter set - 1975:  Powerbilt Levelume - D, 5W, 3,5,7,9, Dual Wedge and putter.

My first set of full irons - Jack Nicklaus Golden Bear's from Penny's 3-SW for Christmas 1977

My first purchases on my own:  Tony Penna Driver $40, Ping Answer Putter $25, Dunlop Australian Blades $199 - all were purchased 1979-1980

• Like 1