Is it me or is everyone gaming a X stiff driver shaft? Am I missing something?

LowAndLeft32

3 hours ago, LowAndLeft32 said:

I’ve never tried or had a clubfitter say that I need to try an X stiff driver shaft. I know my swing speed probably doesn't qualify at 104mph. But, reduced spin and more stability potential haven’t ever been mentioned by a fitter. For reference spin is around 2750mph. But then again the fitters in my area are terrible at best. I have messed around with DG 120 X100 iron shafts even though my teacher said that was way to much shaft for me. I actually didn't really notice much performance difference from my s300 gamers. 

Shafts are more than speed, as peeps have stated here - tempo matters as well as the shaft profile - check out the butt, midsection and tip. That should help 

• Like 1

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Been playing 6.0 HZRDUS shaft in driver for as long as I can remember. Current in a SIM2 8° head turned down to 7,25°, still getting about 2750 spin and often over 40° land angle. 105 SS and about +5 AoA. Should I try a lighter X shaft?

Driver: Titleist TSr2 8.25

Wood: Titleist TSr2 15

Hybrid: Titleist TSr2 4hy 20

Irons: Titleist T200 UT 4, T150 5, Artisan LS720MB 6-9

Wedges: Artisan LS720 MB 47, 51S, 55SB, 59DS

Putter: Titleist Tei3 Newport 2

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Bag: Jones Trouper R

The vast majority of WRX members are people that love the game of golf, and more often than not are good-very good at golf. The random golfer that plays a few times a season has probably never even heard of GolfWRX. The BST on here is definitely not a good representation of the golfing public. It’s also part ego, or could be players that try out an x-stiff shaft then move into a stiff, and sell the xstiff. There is no industry standard for flex as well, some manufacturers x-stiff that is not tipped are surprisingly smooth and load easily. 

• Like 4

Callaway Rogue ST MaxLS 9*w/Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

Callaway Epic Flash sz 15* /Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7s

Titleist Tsi2 hybrid 18* /GD Tour AD IZ 85x

Titleist T-100s 4-GW /PX Lz 6.0

Titleist SM9 54-12d, 60-10s /PX Lz 6.0

Bettinardi BBzero

Driver: 105-108 SS

Violent transition 

High launch, high spin swing

I like heavy SW

Old driver: Mizuno JPX 900. Had a Fuji Evo II in it, R flex. Whippy as hell. 

Put a Tensei White 70g in S flex in it - lowered spin and launch considerably but felt easy to load. That driver is pretty high launching, no matter the adapter setting, so I had to get a heavier shaft unless I wanted moon balls. Was still hitting it too high and spinny- every drive plugged. I know it’s a swing issue. 

Now have TEE EXS 220 driver, 9,5 deg. with Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 X. 
Wanted the 10,5, not available anymore. Took a risk with the 6.5 shaft. For the first time ever, my drives roll out. I‘ve gained carry distance, too, so it works for me. Also, hook-proof, which is s big deal for me. 

I might try an S flex just to make sure, because the 6.5 feels a little boardy, but that might be the profile?

What I’m saying is, it depends. Wasn’t an ego move for me. I wanted lower ballflight and spin, and it worked. 

• Like 1

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

105 on average, can get up to 107 when fully warmed up and if on course where I have room to miss.

Diamana 'ahina, DF and Graphite Design TP have been in play in recent years, all in 60X.   I have a pretty aggressive release and every 6S shaft I've tried has felt loose. 

I've gamed 7S shafts but I lose some ball speed due to the higher weight.

FYI I'm 51 and my ball speed (and average drive) has increased since I was 30 - I'm in better shape and have a better understanding of what swing works for me.  Don't just assume your swing speed will go down...

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

Probably the reason you see lots of Xstiff shaft for sale on the BST..

Guys buy them and then can’t load them ...

• Like 2

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

I think it’s important to know what works for you. I don’t do well with shafts under about 3.3 torque and I prefer a higher kick point. I also don’t do well with counter balance shafts. So a lot of times a 70-75 gram shaft with be 3.4 torque in the stiff and 2.9 in the X. I’d go the route of tipping the stiff a little to match my 110 clubhead speed. The same shaft in the 60-65 gram might be 3.3 in the X and I’d go that way if I went the lighter route. 

• Like 1

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

16 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Well.  I can see 123ish on good days.  But I’d say 118 average. I’m not 120 plus every day. It’s a crap shoot how loose I am when I wake up anymore.  

but honestly I don’t think speed is the determination you should rely on.  I’m tall and swing smoother than some. I can play an R flex shaft if I want.  I’m playing the TB in 70x with only 1/2 inch tip trim.  Which is basically none. It plays like an S to me. High launch and doesn’t need to be gone after to load. But yet super stable at impact. Highly recommend the shaft IF you need help launching it for max carry. I’m not a ballon ball hitter , most everything I hit is flatter than most.   So this shaft really upped my carry numbers.  

I agree, swingspeed is not a great criteria for flex selection.  Adding contrast to your info, around age 50, I was at 111mph.  I'm now 57 and have lost a bit of speed thanks to age, and maybe a bad back and left knee.  

I am not a smooth swinger.  I've found I get better results with stiffer shafts, generally in X territory, even as I age (in driver, anyway).  Put an R11s in play last couple rounds, with a ProtoPype 80X, and had a good day off the tee.

I'm guessing most folks wouldn't put me in that, but results count.  🙂

I have an additional complicating factor, the above R11s is 43.25" or 43.5", (can't remember off top of my head) at D6 swingweight.  It's certainly not the same level of Xstiff you'd get with a 44.5" install.

There's X, and then there's X.  <shrug>

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Edited by NRJyzr

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Butt soft x flex guy here

Between S and X... really depends on brand and design

107-109mph fwiw

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I prefer the “boardier” feel the X gives me.  I hit it plenty long enough that giving up 5-10 yards for feel and accuracy is worth it.

• Like 1

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

24 minutes ago, wobgon said:

I find it interesting how many guys play x stiff in their driver but never consider x stiff in their irons.

It's not all that surprising.  Not everyone has the same gap or ratio between their driver and iron swingspeeds.

Guy I met from another golf forum had an identical driver swingspeed as I did at the time we met.  Our 5 iron swingspeeds were 8-10 mph different (he was faster).

3 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

It's not all that surprising.  Not everyone has the same gap or ratio between their driver and iron swingspeeds.

Guy I met from another golf forum had an identical driver swingspeed as I did at the time we met.  Our 5 iron swingspeeds were 8-10 mph different (he was faster).

I have to say, I have been on this forum for 13 years and have absolutely no idea what anyone else's swing speed is.

7 minutes ago, wobgon said:

I have to say, I have been on this forum for 13 years and have absolutely no idea what anyone else's swing speed is.

That's surprising.  There are plenty of WRX members who post their fitting info, at minimum.  Then there are the random mentions...

Edited by NRJyzr

Around 110 with driver, moderate tempo. Due to tempo and preferring the feel I’ve always played S shafts, but also been a bit of a sprayer in the longer clubs. 

Drank the koolaid on the Ventus hype and bought a blue 8x hybrid shaft without testing. Now Ventus has infested the top end of my bag. Not sure if it’s the Ventus magic or X flex or both but there is a noticeable dispersion improvement (could never play the Black though)

I’m only around 105 but play a 60 Tx Xt kurokage.  It still kicks well but the Uber stiff tip helps me alot. I laugh at people that tip this shaft too, if you look at the bend profile all they’re doing is weakening the tip.  But saying they tipped the shaft 2 inches makes them feel stronger I guess like the ventus  lol .

I did have a rogue 125 60 Tx that was too mas  macho for my puny CHS.

Flash

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, brutusflash said:

I’m only around 105 but play a 60 Tx Xt kurokage.  It still kicks well but the Uber stiff tip helps me alot. I laugh at people that tip this shaft too, if you look at the bend profile all they’re doing is weakening the tip.  But saying they tipped the shaft 2 inches makes them feel stronger I guess like the ventus  lol .

I did have a rogue 125 60 Tx that was too mas  macho for my puny CHS.

Flash

The XT is a killer shaft, but that said, most EI profiles are meant to exaggerate the curves so as to better visualize what the bend profile looks like. That means that what appears to be rise in stiffness towards the tip, something that tipping would indeed actually soften, is actually just *less* of a loss. Tipping still strengthens these shafts, just a little less so than shafts without the "rise" in stiffness. Rory long played his XTS (just an XT with the KK Silver paint job) tipped 1.5" to 2" and actually appeared to test a version with much less tipping to increase spin when he was struggling with the SIM. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I could believe tipping it 2 inches would stiffen the xt, and I don’t know how far up the stiffer tip section goes into the shaft.  Buy I agree that all shafts weaken from the but down and the feel , “kick” comes down to the varied ratios, materials the manufacturer uses.  I still find it interesting how when testing shafts in 4 or 5 swings whether I like it or not, takes me much longer with iron shafts to decide.

Flash

• 2 years later...
On 3/26/2021 at 6:55 PM, NHemming11 said:

Here is my first drive today on trackman. You don't always need silly stiff like alot of people think 

PXL_20210326_154308140.MP.jpg

You are correct about not needing ultra stiff but you are also hitting up 8* on it. You wont spin anything with that AoA! Shaft is all about finding the correct weight and then what you like the feel of.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9* The Players Limited Edition Black/Gold Fujikura Ventus Black 7X / Taylormade SIM 9* Fujikura Speeder Evolution 757 IV TX Tipped 0.5" / Krank Formula Fire Pro 9* -1* Fujikura Ventus Black 7X

PING G425 2 Hybrid 17* -1.5* GD Tour AD DI 105X Hybrid

Srixon Zx5 Mkii 3 Iron @ 19* DG 120 X100

Srixon Mkii Zx7 4-7 Iron, Srixon Z Forged II 8-PW DG X100 Hardstepped

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 50-54-60 MID DG S400

Putter: YES! Tracy 2 / Yes! Callie i4 Bronze / Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5

Srixon Z-Star XV / Left Dash Pro V1x

Tiktok: @tgrabowske

Social Media: @tgrabowske