What I found when I played the Titleist AVX vs MaxFli Tour

jjfcpa

Decided to play two balls for a couple of holes - Titleist AVX and Maxfli Tour.  I picked the AVX after hearing that it was particularly long and held greens pretty well.  

I know the Maxfli Tour pretty well after playing it most of last year.  Distance is excellent and spin is great when hitting into the greens.  

I was pretty disappointed in the AVX and expect it to be competitive but the Maxfli Tour performed so much better I had to put the AVX in the bag after just a couple holes.  On drive, I actually didn't hit a very good shot with the Maxfli and a really good shot with the AVX, but the AVX still ended up 10 yards behind the Maxfli.  Hitting into the green, the AVX was inconsistent and very hard to judge whether it was going to grab or release; whereas the Maxfli reacted much more consistently.

If I were to rank these balls from 1 - 10 (10 the best), I'd have to give the AVX a 6 and the Maxfli an 8 or 9.  

Next up, I'll be comparing the Maxfli Tour to the ProV1.  

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 7:54 PM, Badshaft said:

My opinion  - Maxfli is a good ball but it doesn't beat AVX

I bought 2 boxes of Maxfli Tours in Mat Green Enjoyed them and they performed well- 

But they don't perform as well as AVX for me- I would play Maxfli Tours anytime-

Were you speaking distance wise?  I really enjoyed the feel of the AVX, but I really thought I would see something significant over the Maxfli and I didn't.  

I could play the AVX and be perfectly happy and I'm sure I could adjust to the distance difference because it wasn't that much, but when you consider the price and performance difference (for me anyway) I think the Maxfli is hard to beat.

Love the Maxfli Tour & have been gaming it since the release in 2019. It has performed better than or as well as any other ball I have tried.

Haven't hit the newer model of the Maxfli Tour yet but I still have 2 dozen of the older model to go through first.

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 10.5 Degrees

5 Wood: Cobra RadSpeed @ 17.5 Degrees

Hybrid: Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 21 Degrees

Hybrid: Cobra SpeedZone @ 24 Degrees

Irons: Callaway Apex 19's 6-SW

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degrees

Putter: Cobra SuperNova

15 hours ago, Blackett said:

Ok cool.  Anyone know when dicks will be running the 2 for 1 specials on these?  I’d like to try the tour and tour x

Probably not any time soon. They were 2 for $60 for the last few months, and when the 2021 models came out a few weeks ago, those were 2 for $60, and the 2019's are now 2 for $55.

I'm hoping the 2019's get cheaper when they start to run out of them.

• Like 1

Sub 70 849 Pro 10.5° (Adjusted to 8.5°) - ProForce V2 Black 6F4 S
Sub 70 949X 4 wood - ProForce V2 Black 7F4 S

Bridgestone Tour B XD-H 2 hybrid - KBS Graphite Tour Prototype 85S
Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S

2015 OnOff Kuro Forged 4-PW - Fujikura Pro Iron 95i Tour S

Nike VR Pro 52°-10° - Fujikura Pro Iron 95i Tour S
Nike VR Pro 56°-14° - Fujikura Pro Iron 95i Tour S
Nike VR Pro 58° DS - Fujikura Pro Iron 95i Tour S
Grips - Number One 50 Pro Series

Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport (1996) - KBS black CT Tour, Iomic Black Army
MaxFli Tour (Yellow)

On 3/29/2021 at 2:50 PM, jjfcpa said:

Were you speaking distance wise?  I really enjoyed the feel of the AVX, but I really thought I would see something significant over the Maxfli and I didn't.  

I could play the AVX and be perfectly happy and I'm sure I could adjust to the distance difference because it wasn't that much, but when you consider the price and performance difference (for me anyway) I think the Maxfli is hard to beat.

Yes I think distance wise AVX is a shade better, feels great and has excellent green side action. All around the best performer for me.

The new ball is coming in slowly due to shipping problems. In this day and age, it’s difficult to imagine a big difference between urethane covered balls. The difference between balls is less than the difference between strikes for most of us.

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

Played the Maxfli Tour last Saturday, not sure I had a single drive that was more than 10 yards or so off the fairway (which is good), I think i hit around half of fairways.  Spin was fine, putting was less than 2 per hole.  Only lost balls were a scald into water (not the balls fault), a drive into water I just didnt clear, and water hit on a par 3 which I had the distance it was just slightly right of green and the water curled around the green kind of.

WIll be trying again tomorrow 

Whether one ball or another ball is better is subjective.  Giving it a number isn't worth much to the rest of us.  I've played the "new" AVX since it was introduced, alongside my standard Prov1.  Titleist AVX ball gives ME a slightly lower trajectory, and is longer most, but not all the time, it compresses easier that Prov1 too. 

I've had more recent drives over 250yds with long ones around 300yds using AVX, vs Prov1, that from "4" index using a TS2 9.5 with Ventus Velocore 5 series "S" at 44.75" playing length, and Titleist 620 MB & CB series irons with traditional lofts.

Then there's this: One day ball striking is ON, pure, next not so much, so the result of any test on a given day is the fault of our swing being inconsistent which means ball striking is stinky too.

• Like 1
  • Titleist TS2, 9.5, Ventus 5 Series 's'
  • Titleist TS2, 4wd, Ventus 6 Series 's'
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei AV White AM 's'
  • Titleist 620 Series 3-4i Tensei AV White AM 's'
  • Titleist 620 Series 5-PW - MMT 125 's'
  • SM6 F-52/8 - MMT 125 's'
  • SM6 M-58/8 - MMT 125 's'
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

59 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Whether one ball or another ball is better is subjective.  Giving it a number isn't worth much to the rest of us.  I've played the "new" AVX since it was introduced, alongside my standard Prov1.  Titleist AVX ball gives ME a slightly lower trajectory, and is longer most, but not all the time, it compresses easier that Prov1 too. 

I've had more recent drives over 250yds with long ones around 300yds using AVX, vs Prov1, that from "4" index using a TS2 9.5 with Ventus Velocore 5 series "S" at 44.75" playing length, and Titleist 620 MB & CB series irons with traditional lofts.

Then there's this: One day ball striking is ON, pure, next not so much, so the result of any test on a given day is the fault of our swing being inconsistent which means ball striking is stinky too.

Makes sense to me.  On the day that I was comparing the AVX and Maxfli Tour, I tried to make sure that I was hitting them equally well.  At best, my results are relative only to me, but based on other golfers comments about the AVX being "long", I expected to see something relative to that.  I didn't.  The feeling was good but not any softer to me than the Maxfli Tour.  I know it is considered a low spin, low launch ball and that might be where my results were not what I have heard.  I'm admittedly a senior player with a slower swing speed and may not be able to get the launch numbers that I need for the AVX to perform better.  

Since I compared these two, I've also had a chance to play the ProV1 (2019 version) and it not only had a nice feel, but distance and spin wise, it was at least as good as the Maxfli Tour... perhaps even better if you consider that I haven't played it before.

Today I will be comparing the Sugar ball (have a look at the TXG video if you don't know about it) to the Maxfli Tour and perhaps the ProV1.  I've hit it a few times indoor and the feel is not near as nice as the ProV1, but again, this was indoor.  We'll see how the on course performance is today.

Moved on from the Maxfli’s. Scuffed very easily. Tried the AVX for a few holes recently, did not overly impress me. I try to play non Titleist balls because everyone else I play with does & other brands are easier to identify. Exception is the Left Dash because that’s my wind cheater ball right now.

EFSZ 9* (Ventus Blue VeloCore 6S) / G400LST 10* (HZRDUS Smoke Black 60-5.5)

/ LTD 10.5* (MotoreX F1 6S)

0317 Gen1 17* & 0317X Gen2 19* (MMT 80S)

0311 Gen1 4-5 & 0311P Gen2 6-PW (SteelFiber i95S)

RTX4 Raw 52* & 58*, Mid (TI S400); HiToe 64* (HiRev 2.0)
SC Red X2 / WHP 7CS

Tour B X / Volvik S4

- Backups: Rogue 2H & 3H; F7 2-3H; 0211; TW-X; IC-601; 716 T-MB; Lucky 777CS; WHP CSM 400g; Sigma G Kinloch C.

On 4/2/2021 at 8:26 AM, jjfcpa said:

Makes sense to me.  On the day that I was comparing the AVX and Maxfli Tour, I tried to make sure that I was hitting them equally well.  At best, my results are relative only to me, but based on other golfers comments about the AVX being "long", I expected to see something relative to that.  I didn't.  The feeling was good but not any softer to me than the Maxfli Tour.  I know it is considered a low spin, low launch ball and that might be where my results were not what I have heard.  I'm admittedly a senior player with a slower swing speed and may not be able to get the launch numbers that I need for the AVX to perform better.  

Since I compared these two, I've also had a chance to play the ProV1 (2019 version) and it not only had a nice feel, but distance and spin wise, it was at least as good as the Maxfli Tour... perhaps even better if you consider that I haven't played it before.

Today I will be comparing the Sugar ball (have a look at the TXG video if you don't know about it) to the Maxfli Tour and perhaps the ProV1.  I've hit it a few times indoor and the feel is not near as nice as the ProV1, but again, this was indoor.  We'll see how the on course performance is today.

In case you're unaware I am 70yrs old, so qualify as an "ole man."  LOL  Prov1 2019 is different from 2021 version, IMO.  I played 2019 till recently when 2021 version hit.  I was in the desert recently and when I go there historically I've switched to ProV1x because I compress ProV1 to easily, same is true with AVX.  Just got back, played the last ProV1X model, much of the trip.

Though I have never heard of the Sugar ball knowing more it doesn't interest me.  All sorts of new this or that try to make inroads in the golf community.  I am not looking for a new ball, happy with what I am playing now.

Good luck on your hunt though.

• Titleist TS2, 9.5, Ventus 5 Series 's'
  • Titleist TS2, 4wd, Ventus 6 Series 's'
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei AV White AM 's'
  • Titleist 620 Series 3-4i Tensei AV White AM 's'
  • Titleist 620 Series 5-PW - MMT 125 's'
  • SM6 F-52/8 - MMT 125 's'
  • SM6 M-58/8 - MMT 125 's'
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

I’m not familiar with the Maxfli but the AVX for me felt great on full shots but flies a little to low trajectory wise for me  and one hopped a few too many greens. I could probably adjust to it if I put the time in but I guess I prefer a ball that stops a little quicker coming into the greens on full shots for me. If the Maxfli is a good comparable ball I try and seek some out.

On 4/9/2021 at 11:14 PM, Beeez said:

I’m not familiar with the Maxfli but the AVX for me felt great on full shots but flies a little to low trajectory wise for me  and one hopped a few too many greens. I could probably adjust to it if I put the time in but I guess I prefer a ball that stops a little quicker coming into the greens on full shots for me. If the Maxfli is a good comparable ball I try and seek some out.

I can only speak to the 2019 Maxfli and original AVX but in my experience the Maxfli Tour did not share the AVX's low trajectory and tendency to release too much on iron shots. Maxfli Tour is much more Pro V1-like, not at all AVX-like.

From August 18, 2021 I will be away from GolfWRX for a while.

On 4/16/2021 at 6:04 AM, North Butte said:

I can only speak to the 2019 Maxfli and original AVX but in my experience the Maxfli Tour did not share the AVX's low trajectory and tendency to release too much on iron shots. Maxfli Tour is much more Pro V1-like, not at all AVX-like.

It could be my swing, but I didn't really see any difference in trajectory when hitting with a launch monitor.  However, I like the feel of both and I agree that the Maxfli Tour feels very similar to the ProV1.

I have played them both quite a bit and prefer the Maxfli. But that’s just me.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

Played Maxfli's on a golf trip recently.  Also had a sleeve of Vice urethane's as well.   Have not used the AVXs.  I found both the Maxfli and Vice balls to be very good distance and spinwise.  No concerns about using either again.  Dicks has apparently cut back on their discounting and coupons. I bought the Maxflis for $18/doz last year using a coupon with a sale they had going on.  Almost out of them.

1 hour ago, amish said:

Played Maxfli's on a golf trip recently.  Also had a sleeve of Vice urethane's as well.   Have not used the AVXs.  I found both the Maxfli and Vice balls to be very good distance and spinwise.  No concerns about using either again.  Dicks has apparently cut back on their discounting and coupons. I bought the Maxflis for $18/doz last year using a coupon with a sale they had going on.  Almost out of them.

Yeah.  Not sure if we'll see 2 for $50 or a BOGO for the Maxfli Tour balls again anytime soon.