2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Favorite Golf Shop

cardoustie

Anyone have any great golf shops they love ?   Here in Canada, there is very little left outside of Golf Town

In another thread I mentioned how much I miss Myrtle Beach’s two great Golf Dimensions stores

Before Myrtle I was down in Fort Myers FL and absolutely loved a golf shop called GOLF GUYS

What I love

- a load of equipment, lots of brand assortment

- a great selection of used stuff

- a great repair shop

- some rare stuff you don’t see everywhere else 

- knowledgeable staff

- a fitting area with Trackman and somebody who knows what they are talking about

• Like 2

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

My favorite shop ever was Roots and Relics in Honolulu. I used to go there all the time when I was in the Marines. Small shop, maybe 20' x 20' with racks of woods and rubber-banded iron sets laying against the wall. All prices were negotiable. They had some good inventory back in the day. 

Modern day, I do like PGA Tour Super Store, will usually visit when we make the way to AZ.
Locally it's just Golf Galaxy which isn't great, but you can kick some tires and look at some product.

Edit - I actually just googled Roots and Relics and business must be good as they have expanded. Of course I haven't been there in 20+ years, but it made an impression on me.

Edited by 5 O'Clock Charlie
  • Like 1

The Golf Guys are fantastic. Its cool the owners are behind the counter most days. Probably the best selection of designer ladies bags I have ever seen. The used section is impressive no doubt but given the local demographic you see a lot of senior shafts. I have bought a least three sets of irons there to modify as teenager sets. 

• Like 1

I just order from my pro shop at my club. Our pro is really cool and we have probably 9-10 demo days a year. The big OEMs all come twice at least. So getting on a trackman is fairly easy

Im not as big a fan of golftown anymore. They seem to inventory less and there's not as much variety as there used to be in what they stock. I understand why they do this, it just makes them less appealing to me personally

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

When I was young I loved any golf shop.  I remember on the way back home from our honeymoon we stopped at a little 9 hole country course about 30 miles away because the guy had a pretty cool pro shop and picked up a nice little set of clubs for my bride.  Seemed like 25-30 years ago golf shops at courses could make it and had options.  No Trackman, then, lol.  We joined the new and cheaper "alternate" country club outside of town a couple years later on a young couple membership deal and the pro had a nice shop and that's where I took my first real lessons and bought my first Pings.  The shop at the club I played at in high school was small but he could get anything anyone wanted (and the pro had great Lee Trevino stories - they were/are good friends).

I guess these days they all seem the same to me.  Austad's is nice and family owned but if you were in there vs. Golf Galaxy in Des Moines, I don't know if you could tell the difference without signage because the OEM displays are the same, clothing is the same and so on.  I remember going to Pete Carlson's in Palm Springs years ago because that was supposed to be cool - it was jam packed for sure, you could hardly move around, lol.  Went to Carl's and was a little underwhelmed, but it was nice. Some other big box place near there was just like a warehouse, no personality at all.

At least the last time I was in Wisconsin they still had great mom and pop beer, sausage, cheese and sauerkraut shops!

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1

Used to have some good ones here in Winston-Salem. Carolina Custom, Golf USA, and Nevada Bob's were all good, and all closed when Dick's and Golf Galaxy came to town. There was a family owned (Philo) shop almost right across the street from Litchfield Country Club on Pawley's Island that we always went to when we were down there. That was a great shop, but that is closed, too. Now, I go to Tee Time Golf in Jonesville, NC. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

I just order from my pro shop at my club. Our pro is really cool and we have probably 9-10 demo days a year. The big OEMs all come twice at least. So getting on a trackman is fairly easy

Im not as big a fan of golftown anymore. They seem to inventory less and there's not as much variety as there used to be in what they stock. I understand why they do this, it just makes them less appealing to me personally

Crazy how much they’ve reduced the inventory in stores at GT, 1/3 of what it used to be 

EvnRoll ER9

17 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

Crazy how much they’ve reduced the inventory in stores at GT, 1/3 of what it used to be 

Yeah, the mix is very different too. Again i understand why they are doing this so i am not complaining. But they used to always stock a few variants of the stock shaft offerings too. 

For example every G425 they have has the Alta shaft in it. Like 25 of them , each with that shaft. 

Like 10 years ago, they would have mixed in a few tour shafts in there, maybe 1-2 Rogues and a few Tensei Oranges. 

I think they are just taking a lot less inventory risk, which i understand. Just doesn't help someone like me....Which is fine, i order from my club now

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

It just drives me nuts that GT is a near monopoly ... and they don’t have a lot of brands eg Bridgestone

EvnRoll ER9

Very touristy in the heart of Waikiki BUT they have very rare stuff, like a large collection of Cameron headcovers:  https://www.royalhawaiiancenter.com/store/Royal-Hawaiian-Golf-Shop/2138814164/

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

Around me we are lacking, there are two large American Golf's and there was no competition to them other than local pro shops, which range in quality from excellent to very very poor. 

Last year however a head pro left his position at a club and set up his own shop and fitting department. He has been incredibly successful over the year and is mid way through fitting out a second store in another town. 

I barely even go to GT anymore, tried a month ago when the grip sale was on, guy laughed at me and seemed thrilled to tell me that they had no stock of the grips I wanted, or the other 2 models of grips I was trying to grab for buddys. Here in St Catharines we have Niagara Golf Warehouse which is pretty good, solid selection lots of used stuff and 2 bays with Flightscope. 

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

Favorite shop for unique stuff, both new and used, is Roots and Relics on Bishop St. in Honolulu. Favorite shop for service/builds is Continental Golf in Raleigh on Capital Blvd., attention to detail and ability to adapt and fit clubs to preferences is unmatched. 

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

Anytime we visit the Pinehurst area we always stop by Robert's Golf Shop on Rt 1 in Aberdeen.  Nice selection of items (both new and used) and the staff is always willing to deal.  Very fair on trade-ins.  No Trackman or hitting bays but there is a outdoor net so you can at least swing it before you buy it.  The practice putting area is "paw"trolled by a very friendly old kitty which gives the place a homey feel.  It's not fancy big-box glamourous but more low-key and genuine...     

When in Boone, NC we find Peanuts and Golf is a must.  Another family-run business with a great vibe and fantastic selections.  Easy to work with and their sock headcovers make a fine gift or golf outing choice.     

Edited by NCLancer

Carl’s Golfland in West Bloomfield, MI is top notch from both a product selection and overall facilities perspective and is my favorite in the metro Detroit area. Miles of Golf in Ypsi is a close second, but Carl’s non-club selection is superior from my experiences, although Miles’ garage sales are pretty awesome too. You can’t go wrong giving your money to either one! 

• Like 1

Long long before DSG bought them Golf Galaxy was a pretty cool independent chain of shops. While Western PA never had a Golf Galaxy until DSG was involved (we had a small local chain called Hackers Helpers, that eventually became Golf HQ. who were decent) I always made a point to stop at the store in the east suburbs of Cleveland (Mayfield Road, Golden Gate Plaza) when vising family. Usually every 6 weeks give or take. Shame GG (and Golf Works) still have to bear the ongoing stench of being owned by DSG

Edited by grm24

Anyone in the West/Central PA area should know about Blair County Golf in Hollidaysburg.  Definitely my favorite golf shop.  I have 2 DSG stores within a 40 min drive of me and a Golf Galaxy about 90 mins away and much prefer going to Blair County.  Just a small shop with a crazy amount of used gear, a nice range, and a great demo/fitting selection from every manufacturer.  Usually I walk in and they just tell me to go build up what I want and head out to the range, hahaha.  Spend a lot of time just shooting the breeze about golf gear with the staff.  Top notch service, a great bunch of real golf guys, not what you find in the big box stores.  Always the first place I recommend to anyone asking about golf gear.

Driver: Cobra Darkspeed X 9* Tour 2.0 Black 65X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 13.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 19.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Irons:  PXG 0317 CB 5-GW KBS Tour 130X

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 54S Modus 125W

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 58S Modus 125W

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

21 hours ago, grm24 said:

Long long before DSG bought them Golf Galaxy was a pretty cool independent chain of shops. While Western PA never had a Golf Galaxy until DSG was involved (we had a small local chain called Hackers Helpers, that eventually became Golf HQ. who were decent) I always made a point to stop at the store in the east suburbs of Cleveland (Mayfield Road, Golden Gate Plaza) when vising family. Usually every 6 weeks give or take. Shame GG (and Golf Works) still have to bear the ongoing stench of being owned by DSG

The Golf HQ in Boardman is a very nice shop. I go there about once a month to browse. In the Akron/Canton area Foxy Golf and Windmill Lakes are both awesome shops. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikewohlwend said:

The Golf HQ in Boardman is a very nice shop. I go there about once a month to browse. In the Akron/Canton area Foxy Golf and Windmill Lakes are both awesome shops. 

I've been to the Golf HQ in Boardman a few times. Nice shop. Glad to hear they are still open. Used to play Reserve Run a few times a year but not for some time now. IIRC the last time I was in Golf HQ there was a now long gone Rockne's restaurant a few doors over.

4 hours ago, jblough99 said:

Anyone in the West/Central PA area should know about Blair County Golf in Hollidaysburg.  Definitely my favorite golf shop.  I have 2 DSG stores within a 40 min drive of me and a Golf Galaxy about 90 mins away and much prefer going to Blair County.  Just a small shop with a crazy amount of used gear, a nice range, and a great demo/fitting selection from every manufacturer.  Usually I walk in and they just tell me to go build up what I want and head out to the range, hahaha.  Spend a lot of time just shooting the breeze about golf gear with the staff.  Top notch service, a great bunch of real golf guys, not what you find in the big box stores.  Always the first place I recommend to anyone asking about golf gear.

Blair County Golf at one time sold on Ebay. Purchased a few items from them. 

• 1 year later...
On 4/4/2021 at 6:36 PM, jblough99 said:

Great to know about a decent shop in PA! I’m just outside Harrisburg and the options around here are really limited considering the amount of courses/golfers in the area.