The lost art of hitting a long iron?

I still carry a 3 or 2 UDI iron. On good days they're used off the tee, gotta love a low burner, but mostly to chip out of the trees. I try to practice my long irons a lot when on the range, I assume if you hit a 4 iron well 5 and under becomes easier. 

To be honest, a 2 iron is a lot more versatile than a 3 hybrid and a lot of times longer if you nuke it. But the industry is changing, a Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 4 iron goes the same distance and a lot higher than UDI. I know it's a farce, just a rebadge, but the technology is there to make it easier.

Titleist TSi4 8 Fuji 661 II X

Titleist TS2 13.5 Diamana BF 70 X

Titleist 818 H2 19 Fuji Atmos Blue 8X

Mizuno MP-4 3-PW S300 

Vokey SM8 52.08F/SM7 58.04L

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not a lost art   lofts used to be higher and the ball spun more   current 5i is the old 3 iron   this from a guy that carried 1, 2, 3 and 4 irons from ‘89-99

Ya know ... I've done a lot in this life. Enviable to some. I've played drums for tens of thousands while behind music gods, done every drug, had all the booze, been with some smokin babes, lived all

There is no lost art, just replaced by clubs that give more output on the same input. Though replacement clubs are easier to launch and offer more forgiveness you still have to manage the face and low

Posted Images

11 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Well said--- I recently went back to my roots so to speak and put the long irons in and ditched the hybrids and 5 wood. Even though I am swinging 75% or so after my injury I did well with my long irons this weekend. I have a lot more control over them than I do a hybrid. And yes at 64 YOA I do not hit them as high or as long as I used to I can work them better. Even if I miss the green with my blade irons it ain't all that bad. Besides the wind blows a lot here and hybrids tend to hook and baloon with me. I can hit my predictable little cut with the long irons. Yeah I do not get the 2 iron more than 6 feet off the ground anymore but it rolls out good and I predict it better. I also went back to my old school bump and run thing around the greens with a 5 or 8 iron. 

PS I know exactly what you are doing with those shafts in those long irons and I agree. One of the reasons I have that Nike shaft in the 2 iron it fits the profile I wanted and it was free. 

Sometimes, change isn't all it's cracked up to be.  I still get my 2i up and holding long Par 3 greens, thanks to a lot of spin.  I play this slightly uphill Par 3 - 220yds over pond that it works great on. 

Those shafts have been surprising me.  There are 3 sections, long-irons, mid-irons and short irons.  The short irons are like throwing darts, lots of spin too.  They kinda remind me of my PX 6.0, stiff handle and tip and I can swing out of my shoes, and go straight. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17' 2i Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 DGS200 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1x, AVX, ProV1
6 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

I have a custom-made set of MacGregor MB Butter knifes, including a 2 iron like that, that I learned with.  First thing in the morning, slightly off the sweet spot, teeth B rattling.

Teeth chipping. Haha. There was absolutely no margin of error with those older blades. I was a Mac guy too. My Srixon ZForged 3 iron is so much easier to hit than those old blades. 

• Like 1

SRIXON ZX5 9.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 60X.                                              SRIXON ZX 13.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 70X                                               SRIXON H85 16 MATRIX BLACKTIE 95 SRIXON Z FORGED 4-PW CATALYST 100 6.5                                   CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0                                        CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0                                         CLEVELAND RTX4 58* CATALYST 100 6.0.                                             SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38” SNELL MTB-X

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, forrester_fire said:

Do you miss drum brakes, rotary telephones, and dial-up modems, too?

No but I do prefer a hand made sling shot v. high tech. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 10.01.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 10.04.49 AM.png

Edited by theothertwo

Honma TW 747 455 10.5* Driver

Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Tour 17* 4 Wood

Honma TW 727 UT 22* Hybrid

Bridgestone J33 CB 4-PW Irons

Miura Tour Milled 52/10 and 58/10 Wedges

Slighter Seattle Putter

Current long irons have these wide soles and make it very difficult to get a proper AoA because you naturally want to sweep it across the turf. This leads to low on the face shots and balloon spin and kill distance. I can hit a butter knife bladed 3 iron way better and accurate than some uber-forgiving one. Just have to get past the look of it down by the ball. It aint that scary. 

• Like 4
15 hours ago, shoot4par said:

The lofts are about the same now but the tech in a hybrid is better. A 2 iron's more useful if you hit down on it a lot or swing it really hard.

Another way to put is that a hybrid or modern iron of a certain loft are (at least advertised to be) more useful than a traditional iron of same loft...if you “add loft” and have a slow swing speed.

Let’s face it, modern clubs are mostly designed to be (or at least advertised to be) of help to the 90+ percent of golfers who hit the ground first, some of whom score quite well.

Do they help those golfers?  Some report success.

Too bad.

55 minutes ago, Thats two thus far Shooter said:

Current long irons have these wide soles and make it very difficult to get a proper AoA because you naturally want to sweep it across the turf. This leads to low on the face shots and balloon spin and kill distance. I can hit a butter knife bladed 3 iron way better and accurate than some uber-forgiving one. Just have to get past the look of it down by the ball. It aint that scary. 

Agreed. I tried a couple GI 3 irons and the Titleist UTIs and I simply could not get over how huge they looked behind the ball. 

Off the turf, I'm not TOTALLY confident with my P7MC 3 but off the tee - love it. And I feel more confident I'm gonna keep it on line than I ever did with a 3H; though I do lose a bit of distance but it's no big deal. 

Titleist TS2 8.5°

Titleist TS2 18°

Taylormade P7MC 3-PW

Vokey 50°, 54°, 60°

Scotty Cameron Newport 

#TeamJumboMax

#Team3iron

I like 3i off the tee quite a bit.  I don't hit it off the turf so often, but do with 4 iron plenty.  But I also play what Ping calls "retro" lofts even though it's not quite real retro.  The newest club sets seem to have shifted more than a full club stronger like a bunch of other people have said.  So that 4 iron IS the old 3 iron or even 2.5 iron etc.

I also have played a lot of my golf in windy areas.  Irons, for me, are great for wind shots.

• Like 1

My gamers are Mizuno MP54s.  I have (and regularly use) a 4i (24* - traditional lofts) in this set.  Yesterday I reached a par 5 in 2 from about 210 with this club.  I still tee off with this on short or tight par-4s.

That being said, hybrids are easier to get up in the air and more forgiving than most 3/4/5 irons are. The demographics for golf decline every year -  I'm all for anything the industry can do to keep people playing this amazing and maddening game.

But I agree with OP.  The first time I reached a par-5 in 2 (probably 25 years ago now) was with a pured 3-iron from about 205.  Hit it flush, the ball climbed and turned over just a bit, as it approached the green.  Just missed the eagle putt, tapped in for birdie.  Most golfers who picked up the game in the last 10 years will never know that rush.  I almost feel sorry for them. Almost. 🙂

Edited by hagimihale
On 3/29/2021 at 5:19 AM, theothertwo said:

Nothing against hybrids, I carry a 3 hybrid and my longest iron now is a 4 iron which is rarely used.  When I first started playing golf in 1990, a regular set of clubs would consist of a driver, 3 and 5 woods, 2-PW set of irons, a sand wedge and a putter.

I had to learn to hit the long irons because there was no other choice but in retrospect, some of the best shots I remember from those days are well struck 2 and 3 iron shots.

Now that art is gone except in the pro and maybe the single digit handicap range of golfers.

I remember when the challenge was learning how to hit a long iron because once you learn that, all other shots seem easier to hit.

I just miss the 3 and 2 iron sometimes but to score better nowadays, hybrids are a must.

Like reminiscing over an ex from long ago… just remember the good times, and suppress those thin, terrible, ripped slices. And the chunks. And the grass dragging the heel in the rough. And the quick apex and dropping...

Sure. The pure shots were pure. I remember that as a kid. Most were off a rubber tee that was too high, on a range mat. It convinced you to take that shot on the course, and you'd trash it.

"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."

• Thanks 1

410LST 8º, 2h 15.5º, 3h 20º, 210 4i, Blueprint s400ti, forged 50/54/58, fetch with breakthrough shaft. First par round 4 Oct 2020.

7 hours ago, bladehunter said:

This is the truth and the issue.  

They just don’t elevate fast enough for an iron with that little loft and Vcog that high. 21 degrees is about the limit of usefulness off the deck.  . Talking prov1 etc.  now. That being said. You can go back to a low compression ball and make them work.  You then give up things on the driver and wedge spin side that are huge trade offs.  Tour B XS is the absolute best compromise here for that.  

Man you told one of my secrets there I use either the Srixon Soft Feel or Cally Super Soft--- Now Saturday I played the Q Star since I have about 4 dozen of them and they did well. I do not lose any spin with the soft balls around the greens. Now with the softer balls in this wind down here I tee the driver lower and hit the stinger or bullet as we used to call it. I have been leaning towards  Srixon since being at the course I am at now. We have a big presence Srixon wise and I have won a ton of them in the last year. On the Supersofts I got a knock down deal. I had won a $50 gift certicficate in an event. One of the owners cut me a deal because they were closing out Callaway. I ended up with 6 dozen Chrome Super Softs for that $50.

Edited by BIG STU
  • Haha 1

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock Regular shaft

3W Callaway Steel Head UST 65 Pro Force Gold Stiff

2I-- 1980 Macgregor VIP Nike R steel shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Mac Vip Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW Cleveland 588 56* S- 400 Sensicore

Putter Old Rusty Santa Fe Bulls Eye fluted shaft

Bag Old Ping Hoofer I had in my stash

6 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

I have a custom-made set of MacGregor MB Butter knifes, including a 2 iron like that, that I learned with.  First thing in the morning, slightly off the sweet spot, teeth B rattling.

LOL I have mentioned this before on here and just mentioned it this AM on Persimmon Golf Society---- We have raised a whole generation of golfers that do not know the joy and sting of a bladed butter knife 2 iron on a brisk morning

• Haha 1

I doubt the percentage of folks that could do something useful with a 20* iron "back in the day" was really any higher than it is now, so I don't really think it is a "lost art."   Basic ballistics tells us that low launch at low speed adds up to low flight, short carry distance, and shallow descent angles.  So I suspect many "pre-hybrid era" golfers never hit long irons well either, and used high-lofted woods instead.  We just have better options now.   

• Thanks 1
Taylormade M5 w/GD YSQ
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 16* Hybrid with Proforce V2 86 
Cobra Baffler T-Rail 7-wood with GD YS-6+
Adams Pro Mini 23* and 26* Hybrids w/RIP Tour 115
Adams XTD Forged 6-PW w/RIP Tour 115 
Vokeys: SM4 52F-12, SM4 56M-11, WedgeWorks 60T-04, all w/RIP Tour 115
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #5
12 minutes ago, 87Juliet said:

I still have a 1-iron and 2-iron Ping Eye2 in my bag... they certainly aren't for the faint at heart, takes lots of practise to get that perfect impact.

then again, some say, that only JC and Seve ever mastered a 1-iron...

Nicklaus was the 1 iron master as was Tom Watson and throw in Seve too

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DaveGoodrich said:

I doubt the percentage of folks that could do something useful with a 20* iron "back in the day" was really any higher than it is now, so I don't really think it is a "lost art."   Basic ballistics tells us that low launch at low speed adds up to low flight, short carry distance, and shallow descent angles.  So I suspect many "pre-hybrid era" golfers never hit long irons well either, and used high-lofted woods instead.  We just have better options now.   

It is not about the launch angle or carry per say but it is what you do with that launch angle and carry The old timers call it knowing how to golf your ball--- Now I will concede that some modern courses now with forced high carries they will not work for some folks. But then again for most folks anything lower than 24 degrees is harder for them to hit unless it is a 5 or 7 wood. Go look at used clubs and you will see a lot of 17 and 19 hybrids for sale and with stiff shafts to boot. 

14 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Nicklaus was the 1 iron master as was Tom Watson and throw in Seve too

Watching shots like this is what made me take up the game (apologies for poor quality but you get the idea):

Edited by mahonie
Double text removed...slow iPad takes time to catch up!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff
Wilson Staff PMP wedges 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Radius Classic 8

3 hours ago, mahonie said:

Watching shots like this is what made me take up the game (apologies for poor quality but you get the idea):

Thank you a picture is worth a thousand words--- What I have been saying all along right style of course and of course Nick Faldo like him or not certainally knew how to golf his ball. And what most folks do not know now including modern course designers that golf was designed to be played close to the ground. Thank you again for posting this

• Like 1

14 hours ago, hagimihale said:

My gamers are Mizuno MP54s

MP54s are the easiest irons to elevate I've ever played. Probably the only reason I moved on is I couldn't get the ball flight down. The 3 and 4 iron are stupid easy to hit.

• Like 2

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5° - Fuji Speeder 569 IV

Mizuno ST190 3W - GD AD DI 6

Mizuno JPX 900 5W - Fuji Speeder 661 II

Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 - DG120 S300

Mizuno JPX Forged 919 (5-PW) - DG120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM5 52°/12° F Grind 

Titleist Vokey SM5 58°/11° K Grind 

Titleist Vokey SM5 62°/8° T Grind 

Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

For as long as I am able to generate the speed I will use a 2 & 3 iron.  I can hit those clubs high if I need to but I can't hit a hybrid low enough to utilize on windy days or punch shots.  This is certainly a personal preference thing too.

Driver: Titleist 905S (YS-9.1x, 44")

3 Fwy: Titleist PT (DG X-100, 43")

2-PW: Macgregor JNP Forged (Rifle 6.8 hard step)

SW/LW: Vokey SM4 C-C

Putter: Mitchell

6 hours ago, 87Juliet said:

I still have a 1-iron and 2-iron Ping Eye2 in my bag... they certainly aren't for the faint at heart, takes lots of practise to get that perfect impact.

then again, some say, that only JC and Seve ever mastered a 1-iron...

As good as any hybrid and just as easy to hit. But as some said with some courses designed not to be played on the ground I also carry a 21* 5hl.

ping 2&4.jpg

Contrary to what some here are posting in my 35yrs of golfing I have seen very, very few people who could effectively hit 2 and 3 irons regardless of era or club specs. I'm not including pros but people I have seen on the course.

• Like 1

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex, Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I actually added a 3 iron into the bag this year. Not a huge fan of hybrids although they have their place. The hybrid gets used maybe once every couple of rounds so usually just leave it at home. 

Last round, I used my 3 iron once off the tee and twice off the deck and all three were perfect. I only play off a 9 handicap but grew up playing 3 irons so just used to them. 

My favourite clubs in the bag are the 3 and 4 irons so go figure. 

DRIVER - PING G410 LST

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G410 LST 3W

HYBRIDS - PING G410 3H

IRONS - PING i210 3-PW

WEDGES - PING GLIDE 3.0 50, 54 & 58

PUTTER - SCOTTY CAMERON NEWPORT 2

It was easier to acclimate to long irons when the fairways were steel on steel. With Ti and graphite, it's quite a change from a #5W to a #3i. Hybrids & DI blend better with modern metals in that respect. I carry an old King Cobra for that reason. I'm a fan of long irons but I need reps with them before I'm comfortable on the course. Long irons highlight any tendencies to "steer the shot". They punish me for that, so I'm always addressing them with a go at it approach. Swing them like a ride the wind #7i and they work.

17 hours ago, DaveGoodrich said:

Actually, back in 60s early 70s, 1&2 irons were quite common even in bags of average golfers.  Were they effective with them, not always, but better than many people are today?  Then they tried, today, too many golfers want their clubs and courses to be easy on them, but that's another topic for another time.

As said earlier, I learned with Mizuno Pro blade 16' 1 iron and later custom MacGregor MB butter knife 2i - with the rest of the set.  Back then and today, I have never been one to hit any clubs high.  I prefer low-mid trajectory plus high is easily affected by wind.  I use plenty of spin to stop the ball.

Yesterday, the two new guys I played with were especially vocal about how much I spin the ball into the green, and that my 2i was in the vicinity of their drives.  I used 2i and 3i into a few Par 4 greens, off some Par 4 tees to keep the ball under the wind, and 2nd shots on Par 5's because we were dealing with 2-club wind.  At my age, it's easier to get distance by keeping the ball under the wind as opposed to hitting the ball into the wind with the driver.

• Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17' 2i Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 DGS200 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1x, AVX, ProV1