The lost art of hitting a long iron?

5 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Thank you a picture is worth a thousand words--- What I have been saying all along right style of course and of course Nick Faldo like him or not certainally knew how to golf his ball. And what most folks do not know now including modern course designers that golf was designed to be played close to the ground. Thank you again for posting this

Quite right! People don’t realise that the early golf balls only ran along the ground until they got roughed up a bit and the dents and dings created enough lift to get them airborne.

I play a links course once a year and practice hitting drives that go no more than 8-10 feet off the deck for at least a month beforehand...massive advantage. 4-iron gets used a lot that week too! I like my hybrid but it is easier to balloon into the wind and for someone who has always hit a fade, I don’t have to try hitting it left of left!

• Like 1

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff
Wilson Staff PMP wedges 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Radius Classic 8

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not a lost art   lofts used to be higher and the ball spun more   current 5i is the old 3 iron   this from a guy that carried 1, 2, 3 and 4 irons from ‘89-99

Ya know ... I've done a lot in this life. Enviable to some. I've played drums for tens of thousands while behind music gods, done every drug, had all the booze, been with some smokin babes, lived all

There is no lost art, just replaced by clubs that give more output on the same input. Though replacement clubs are easier to launch and offer more forgiveness you still have to manage the face and low

Posted Images

I carry a 21 hybrid on windless days and a 3 iron on breezy days.  Also a poorly struck 3 iron is less crooked than the same lofted hybrid.  That being said, I can hit the hybrid high enough to bring rain and stop in its ball mark.  Cannot do that with even a well struck 3 iron.  Finally, old, blade 1&2 irons had narrow enough soles, you could hit a cut sky high with almost no shaft lean.  Modern irons have such wide soles, that shot just is not possible except off a tee or fluffy lie.

3CD3F392-2C3A-432D-982C-1CAEC8A96390.jpeg

Edited by Yuck
Sp

From 2017-2018, at the range (I mostly used our local course late into the evenings when no one was there) I worked on probably 75%ish on long irons 4-6, and got very good at hitting them, and hitting them high.  I do have moderate swing speed (Driver SS 113-115), but I think a lot of it has to do with spine tilt, shaft lean, and ball placement.  After that, I think it comes down to iron tech and using the correct shaft.  I have since went back to steel in my current set, but my last set had Rombax graphite iron shafts and I really think that was key in getting my shots up quick and allowing me to hold greens in the 190-215 yardage.  Graphite irons shafts are so much better now along with steel offerings too.  If you want to get better at anything of course practice is key.  Now, I need to get back in that routine and start striping those long irons again!

On 3/28/2021 at 6:07 PM, mogc60 said:

It is a lost art. Those who have never hit this first thing in the morning wouldn’t know that. 

208F2CAE-3EE9-4509-8763-215A151B3BDF.jpeg

I have an Accuform that makes that look almost SGI like

• Like 3

Ping G400 Max Fuji Ventus Red 6x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x 

Cally Apex '16 3h 20* KK Silver 80x

Cally Apex '16 4h 23* KK Silver 80x

Srixon ZX7 5i  AD DI di 95x 

Srixon ZX7 6 - PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120s
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD M 56* & 60*, SM2 64.07

Scotty GoLo 7

On 3/28/2021 at 3:54 PM, aenemated said:

To this day, there is no sensation I love more than the feel of a purely struck 3 iron. 

Indeed. Just last week I was out playing. Had a pretty good day. Par 5, nice tee shot in the middle of the fairway, had 225 yards left to the middle of the green. Pulled my 4i (not a 3i but close haha) and absolutely pure it. What a feeling and what a joy to watch that ball just flying long and straight through the air and down the line and onto the green. Now that feeling is why I play and love golf. Still smile now thinking about it. Purred long iron, yeah, not much better. 

Edited by TiScape

It’s amazing how change drives people crazy.  

Is it a lost art?  It doesn’t matter, it’s just something that’s changed.  It’s Funny how memories are always the “good” ones, that 2 iron that you tagged down the center.  You forget all about the 5 other 2 irons that you topped, fatted, sliced, duffed, and shanked.....right?  We Just remember that one good one. It’s a psychological phenomenon readily discussed, people remember the past as better than it was.  

Plus, If we used this logic, everything would be a lost art.  The lost art of hitting “balata balls”, the lost art of using real wood woods.  The lost art of wearing knickers, the lost art of clubs only accepting men.

it’s just something that has changed for the better in the game.  That doesn’t mean it’s a lost art, it just means there’s a better solution that most players/people like more.  

• Like 1
On 3/29/2021 at 2:39 PM, JDCON said:

Some claim it is indeed lost, but a few wise men know the truth. The secret lies beyond the Bridge of Death, over the Gorge of Eternal Peril.

What's your favourite colour?   🤔

Or we could really mix the metaphor....   do you have your towel?

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

14 hours ago, cardoustie said:

I have an Accuform that makes that look almost SGI like

accuform1.jpg

• Like 1

Scotty GoLo 7

13 hours ago, TiScape said:

Indeed. Just last week I was out playing. Had a pretty good day. Par 5, nice tee shot in the middle of the fairway, had 225 yards left to the middle of the green. Pulled my 4i (not a 3i but close haha) and absolutely purred it. What a feeling and what a joy to watch that ball just flying long and straight through the air and down the line and onto the green. Now that feeling is why I play and love golf. Still smile now thinking about it. Purred long iron, yeah, not much better. 

I thought only cats PURRED long irons ?

Dogs and players .. they pure them !

• Like 1

Scotty GoLo 7

Another one to back up the long iron users.  I spent 4 years trying to get hybrids to work for me.  Now they are going to someone else this season.  My 2 iron is a Ping Eye 2 BeCu with a PX LZ Graphite shaft.  That is used on a minimum of 2 holes on my local course.

I could not get any consistency with the hybrids.  With a long iron, I can tell right when I hit it exactly where it will be going.  I am coming up on 63 years old now.  Maybe later in years I might try hybrids again, but right now not worth the aggravation.  

I use both long irons and a hybrid, a Stage 2 Tour 2h.  My irons have been up thru 3i, but about to out a 2i in the bag.  I hit the 2i primarily off the tee, short par 4s and long par 3s, but would use it on approach if needed.

Instead of pulling the 2h, I'm going to tune it down to 15* and use it as a quasi fairway wood, because 3w is completely not behaving.

Hybrids were not on radar for quite a while, never seemed to hit them well enough.  The Stage2 Tour hybrids seemed better.  My 2h and 3h were OK when I got them, but not amazing.  They started performing better when I put a 105g iron shaft in them.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

2 hours ago, cardoustie said:

accuform1.jpg

Damn, is that a beauty.  On a chilly early morning using that I can hear teeth chatter on a marginal strike. 😛

• Like 1
  • Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17' 2i Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 DGS200 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1x, AVX, ProV1

We have UDI now to replace long irons which I'm thankful for.   I mean I love thick top lines and tons of offset which is why UDI appeal to me.  It's actually because of the slight increase in forgiveness and flight.  As for hybrids I disagree that they are a must albeit I do carry one.  Plenty of good golfers and pros who choose to either play UDI or a 5/7 metal in place of long irons. 

• Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

I am proud to say it often.  When I strike a 3i or 4i well it gets up and flies; strangers give me smiles and thumbs up, even wows from across the fairway.  There's no feeling in golf like it.  Yet, when I strike my 2i down the middle and get 230-240 yards, past some hybrids, and metal woods, even drivers, I get amazement and or what the hell was that?  I smile.

What's odd, when someone strikes a hybrid well, very few bother to take note, much less speak about it.  What's that say about art of... :classic_tongue:

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 2
  • SM6 M-58/8 DGS200 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1x, AVX, ProV1

I don't know @Pepperturbo

I hit a low bullet draw 3h late yesterday afternoon over the corner of a lake to the front section of the green on a diabolically pernicious par 5.   It was a solid 20mph wind in from ~ 2 o'clock.  The silly kids thought I'd hit a 3 wood   

I was 210 out but it played all of 235 .... probably only hit it 200 to front but it felt like 260 .. old guy talking

Not gonna lie, felt like Uncle Cardy from 30 years back waggling a 1 iron and praying for a good shot

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Scotty GoLo 7

5 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

I hit a low bullet draw 3h late yesterday afternoon over the corner of a lake to the front section of the green on a diabolically pernicious par 5.   It was a solid 20mph wind in from ~ 2 o'clock.  The silly kids thought I'd hit a 3 wood   

I was 210 out but it played all of 235 .... probably only hit it 200 to front but it felt like 260 .. old guy talking

Not gonna lie, felt like Uncle Cardy from 30 years back waggling a 1 iron and praying for a good shot

LOL 

I had my Mizuno 1 iron blade, set at 16' at 40" with PX Flighted 6.0 out the other day for shi** & giggles.  Boy does a yesteryear real 1 iron with no tech get my blood boiling.  No giggles as thought.  Not sure if it was the weight or lack of tech or both, but I couldn't get it past 220.  It used to be a 230-240 club.  Really felt different from my 718 T-MB 17' 2 iron with some tech built-in.

• Like 2
  • SM6 M-58/8 DGS200 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1x, AVX, ProV1
18 hours ago, cardoustie said:

18 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

LOL 

I had my Mizuno 1 iron blade, set at 16' at 40" with PX Flighted 6.0 out the other day for shi** & giggles.  Boy does a yesteryear real 1 iron with no tech get my blood boiling.  No giggles as thought.  Not sure if it was the weight or lack of tech or both, but I couldn't get it past 220.  It used to be a 230-240 club.  Really felt different from my 718 T-MB 17' 2 iron with some tech built-in.

This is a fun read. I have been trying for a few years to find the right hybrid/long iron and cannot be consistent with a hybrid. Finally tried a T100s 3 iron and found the ‘lost art’. Awesome off the tee and hit into greens on long holes. Not going back to hybrid anytime soon as I feel more comfortable with the iron. 

As you say, nothing better than ripping a long iron from a nice lie. Had one 220 into the wind and cold 2 weeks ago. Sun was at my back and I hit a bullet at the pin. Still can see the ball lighting up from the sun and getting home. 

After reading Pepperturbo, I am going to take my Golden Ram TW282 1 iron out today (FM Precision 6.5) and see if I can get that beauty off the ground!! 

• Like 3

SIM 9.0 Ventus 6X

SIM 15 Diamana X

3 T100s AMT X100

4-GW T100S PX LZ 6.0

53 0311 PX LZ 6.0

58 0311 PX LZ 6.0

PXG Blackjack

1 hour ago, Dave22 said:

This is a fun read. I have been trying for a few years to find the right hybrid/long iron and cannot be consistent with a hybrid. Finally tried a T100s 3 iron and found the ‘lost art’. Awesome off the tee and hit into greens on long holes. Not going back to hybrid anytime soon as I feel more comfortable with the iron. 

As you say, nothing better than ripping a long iron from a nice lie. Had one 220 into the wind and cold 2 weeks ago. Sun was at my back and I hit a bullet at the pin. Still can see the ball lighting up from the sun and getting home. 

After reading Pepperturbo, I am going to take my Golden Ram TW282 1 iron out today (FM Precision 6.5) and see if I can get that beauty off the ground!! 

One "1" irons are different breed, even compared to 2i, it's the face angle and 40" length.  My 2i is 39.5".  Go figure that a lousy 1/2" difference would have such an effect.  Of course, the face looks vertical and needs pretty decent swing to get it on the ball squarely.  It's easier for me off the tee than deck.

Takes a certain style of swing for hybrids to work efficiently.  Lots of people carry them but not all that good with them.  See it quite often. 

A while back I tested a few after better heads started showing up.  The problem I experienced was my hitter instinct doesn't get along with their design, trajectory was too high, plus I have a problem looking at them for some reason.  I don't need help getting the ball up, even my T-MB 17' 2i head is small and blade like that it sets nicely in my eye. 

@cardoustieseems to have the mechanics to make them work.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • SM6 M-58/8 DGS200 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1x, AVX, ProV1

When I first took up this game I had 2, 3, 4 and 5 woods and 3-SW.  I used the 2 wood off the tee and the 4 and 5 woods off the fairway. I loved the 5 wood in particular. I struggled with the 3 & 4 irons but loved my irons from 5 iron on down. Back then I used to think "I wish I had another wood to hit those shorter shots like say a 6 and 7 wood to fill the gap to the 5 iron." I gave up the game for almost 15 years and when I came back to the sport my wish had been granted. 7, 9, 11 even 13 woods! However I tried these new fangled 'hybrids' and found I liked them even better than fairway woods. The equipment in this game has evolved a lot over the past 30 years. 

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Taylormade R7TP 4-PW irons
Cleveland RTX 2 52°/10°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter