To play or not to play at Big Cedar?

I know there is a Midwest section, but I figured this may get more responses here since it's more of a resort place for tourists and not just for Midwest locals. 

I'll be at Big Cedar a few days this summer for a non-golf related event and am wondering if I should try and play one day. I'll have the majority of the morning/early afternoon on a Saturday free. I know they have several courses and I've never been or played any of them. I also realize that as a single I'll probably get paired up with a random threesome and that would be fine with me if it happened.

My main dilemma is... Is it worth spending the money to get my clubs there (I'd either have to buy a travel bag since I don't have one or get them shipped there via a service) and then spending another $150-250+ on a green fee? The courses all look nice, but is it a must play situation if I'm there or no?

I mean everyone's financial situation is different so I can't speak to costs and I'm spoiled because I can drive down from STL with no costs to take my clubs.

I think its awesome, I've only played Buffalo Ridge (in November and beginning of March) and it was great.  I cant imagine how beautiful it is in the summer time.

We just love it down there

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nlinneman20 said:

I mean everyone's financial situation is different so I can't speak to costs and I'm spoiled because I can drive down from STL with no costs to take my clubs.

I think its awesome, I've only played Buffalo Ridge (in November and beginning of March) and it was great.  I cant imagine how beautiful it is in the summer time.

We just love it down there

Thanks for the response. Yeah posing it as a cost question may not have been the best route to take as it's not my main concern (although the hassle of getting my clubs there is not making me excited). Mainly I'm just trying to get some input on whether or not I'll be missing out if I don't get a round in when I'm there.

I'm less interested in trying to play if the courses are just resort style courses in immaculate shape (luckily my home club is solid so I can get this there), but if they are a "one of a kind" experience from a layout, views, and etc. standpoint then I might try to play. 

So....while Big Cedar is a nice option to play; if you are there Paynes Valley is a must play.

I would definitely take the clubs and get a round in..... 1) I'm sure you can borrow a club bag  2) You don't necessarily need one if shipping through Ship Sticks - there are club sized boxes - just pack them well.

Buffalo Ridge is worth it. One of my favorite courses in this area. Par 3 not worth it and Ozark National not worth it in my opinion. I haven't played tigers course(Payne Valley) yet but I hear it is very nice. 

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

I would just call and inquire as to what the rental club situation is there. I would have to imagine they have some decent sets. Then just put a little bag in your suitcase with your golf shoes, tees, balls, glove, etc. Get there early and spend some time on the range with the rental set first. Would be a lot less hassle and expense than bringing your own clubs if you don't already own a travel bag, just for one round. I've played Buffalo Ridge and Paynes Valley and enjoyed both.

Unless money is really tight, if my choices are to go play an expensive round on a great course with a rental set, or sit around my hotel room watching Judge Judy, I'll play the round.

Edited by Bonneville85308
  • Like 2

Ask yourself if you got out of bed on that Saturday with the sun shining against a bluebird blue sky if you’d want your own sticks and a tee time at a destination course?  Went overseas a few times and asked myself basically the same question - rented once as we skipped around way too much and then  flew with my own on the another trip and didn’t regret either choice.

Only decision I chewed on was the first time to Portrush leading a group and I didn’t do either, as much as it hurt to see the course from afar it was still the correct play.

cheers,

<><

Book your tee times early and especially if you need to be off by a specific time.  You can book up to 30 days in advance online and the morning times have been filling up fast.  Paynes Valley or Buffalo Ridge would be my choice.  If I couldn’t get on one of those I would question bringing my clubs.

16 hours ago, Bonneville85308 said:

I would just call and inquire as to what the rental club situation is there. I would have to imagine they have some decent sets. Then just put a little bag in your suitcase with your golf shoes, tees, balls, glove, etc. Get there early and spend some time on the range with the rental set first. Would be a lot less hassle and expense than bringing your own clubs if you don't already own a travel bag, just for one round. I've played Buffalo Ridge and Paynes Valley and enjoyed both.

Unless money is really tight, if my choices are to go play an expensive round on a great course with a rental set, or sit around my hotel room watching Judge Judy, I'll play the round.

They do have decent sets its name brand, newer stuff, Callaway maybe if I recall correctly what I saw in the pro shop.

16 hours ago, Bonneville85308 said:

I would just call and inquire as to what the rental club situation is there. I would have to imagine they have some decent sets. Then just put a little bag in your suitcase with your golf shoes, tees, balls, glove, etc.

36 minutes ago, nlinneman20 said:

They do have decent sets its name brand, newer stuff, Callaway maybe if I recall correctly what I saw in the pro shop.

I've considered the rental club route, but in my experience it's never really an option for me. Usually course/resort rental options are stock everything with regular or stiff shafts at best. Since I play x-flex shafts in all of my clubs, and my irons are +1/2 inch in length and 1-2 degrees upright playing with standard clubs hasn't been a pleasurable experience for me when I've tried it in the past. 

However, it's good to know that they may have some decent options so I'll give them a call and see what the selection looks like. 

I have played Buffalo Ridge many times and it is in my Top 10 / maybe Top 5.  Absolutely love the course / Zoysia grass / conditions & Layout.

A previous comment said that they didn't like Ozark National - I am a huge fan of Coore / Crenshaw courses and have played ON when it was called Murder Rock (John Daly's course) and thought it was pretty good. 

Was wondering why the new re-design didn't appeal to that fellow WRXer?

My set-up:
Bag - Flex Tech Crossover
Driver - Ping G430 MAX with HZRDUS Black Smoke

3 Wood - Ping G430

Hybrid - Rocketballz 3 Hybrid
Irons - Cobra King Tour irons

Wedges - Ping Glide 4  50* / 54* / 58*
Putter - Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
Shoes - Ecco Hybrid
Ball - Maxfli Tour X

I would take into account price and playability, esp for the first time player.  

Buffalo ridge is great.  Not too expensive and super good layout, conditions, and fun factor.  I would rank it ahead of ozark national.  

Ozark national--unless you are a fan of a few blind tee shots that run into junk, hidden bunkers, hidden water on some tee shots, blind shots over hills, etc. It is over rated due to it being a core Crenshaw.  I wouldn't play it again honestly.  We did 36 the day we went.  Conditions and greens etc are great.  But it silly golf and I am not a fan of hidden trouble.  Golf is hard enough to not have silliness out there.  I shouldn't have to play a course twice to know where the trouble is.  

I have not played Tiger's course but my buddies love it and say it is easily on par with Buffalo.  Only one goofy second shot on the last par 5 where a bunker is hidden on the lay up location.  Other than that, they all had a blast and said it was worth the price. 

May have missed it, but anyone with experience staying at Big Cedar?

Was thinking about 2-3 nights with buddy and wives... Spa and pools for the ladies, and fellas can golf during the day. Dinner, drinks at night. Seems expensive in May and June for what the resort is, and have read conflicting reviews. Totally fine with paying for an awesome resort, with amazing food, bars, pools and fun, but basic rooms are $700/nt and its not an all-inclusive in the Caribbean. Cabins if we were to all stay together are around $1400. Basically with golf, spa and meals its close to $4000 a couple for 3 days in June. That seems strangely high for Missouri. Are they trying to recoup from covid losses, or??

Curious if its top notch or not? (Realize that can be in the eye of the beholder)

Side Note: Jacks cabin looks so sick. That's for a bro trip another time for sure.

Edited by jibbs1082

TM Qi10LS 8*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Series 70 Flex-X

PXG 0341 X Gen 2 3W 15*, Devotion 75 Flex 04 (S) 

Titleist T-100 (2019) 3-PW, Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 Flex S

Titleist Vokey SM9 50* 08F, 56* 14F, Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 125 Wedge Flex S

Titleist Scotty Cameron 2021 Phantom X 5.5

18 minutes ago, jibbs1082 said:

Was thinking about 2-3 nights with buddy and wives... Spa and pools for the ladies, and fellas can golf during the day. Dinner, drinks at night. Seems expensive in May and June for what the resort is, and have read conflicting reviews. Totally fine with paying for an awesome resort, with amazing food, bars, pools and fun, but basic rooms are $700/nt and its not an all-inclusive in the Caribbean. Cabins if we were to all stay together are around $1400. Basically with golf, spa and meals its close to $4000 a couple for 3 days in June. That seems strangely high for Missouri. Are they trying to recoup from covid losses, or??

Curious if its top notch or not? (Realize that can be in the eye of the beholder)

Side Note: Jacks cabin looks so sick. That's for a bro trip another time for sure.

It’s expensive for sure. 

jacks cabin looks amazing but also wildly impractical - 2 king beds and allegedly for 4 people. So I guess if your bros are okay bunking up it’s fine, but not exactly ideal. I’m not really sure who it’s marketed for 

12 hours ago, jibbs1082 said:

Again its all in what people like, yes its not the Caribbean, its not claiming it is, its a 'wilderness and outdoor' resort that's beautiful and has tons of stuff to do 'outdoors' (hunting, boating, golfing, hiking, etc.  So if outdoor is your thing, you want a relaxing place to get away with great customer service then Big Cedar is your spot.  If you want a beach, no there are no beaches/oceans in Missouri...you are comparing apples to oranges.

I don't think they are trying to recoup covid losses, Missouri isnt a sally state like others lol, we never shut down, likewise if you were looking to travel and not be around anyone during COVID...well Big Cedar was about as good as it gets so I dont think they are hurting.

They will book up though so if you are looking at it, pull the trigger and cancel later.  My boss went in February when presumably no one would go, he said he waited too long and all the cabins were sold out, had to stay in the hotel.

2 hours ago, nlinneman20 said:

Again its all in what people like, yes its not the Caribbean, its not claiming it is, its a 'wilderness and outdoor' resort that's beautiful and has tons of stuff to do 'outdoors' (hunting, boating, golfing, hiking, etc.  So if outdoor is your thing, you want a relaxing place to get away with great customer service then Big Cedar is your spot.  If you want a beach, no there are no beaches/oceans in Missouri...you are comparing apples to oranges.

I don't think they are trying to recoup covid losses, Missouri isnt a sally state like others lol, we never shut down, likewise if you were looking to travel and not be around anyone during COVID...well Big Cedar was about as good as it gets so I dont think they are hurting.

They will book up though so if you are looking at it, pull the trigger and cancel later.  My boss went in February when presumably no one would go, he said he waited too long and all the cabins were sold out, had to stay in the hotel.

as a Christmas gift to ourselves we booked a cabin for a week this spring. We figured at worst with covid we could largely social distance that way and stick to outdoor activities where risks were low. Now we are fully vaccinated and super excited. 

playing Payne’s Valley, Ozark National, and Top of the Rock.

still largely going to use the cabin for kitchen/cooking/grilling. Driving so we are loading up a big cooler with supplies. 

cant wait! 

1 hour ago, ND2005 said:

as a Christmas gift to ourselves we booked a cabin for a week this spring. We figured at worst with covid we could largely social distance that way and stick to outdoor activities where risks were low. Now we are fully vaccinated and super excited. 

playing Payne’s Valley, Ozark National, and Top of the Rock.

still largely going to use the cabin for kitchen/cooking/grilling. Driving so we are loading up a big cooler with supplies. 

cant wait! 

Ya we went back in November, while masks arent required my wife goes 'we were barely around anyone its so spaced out and 'secluded''

My son, who is 4, asks everyday 'dad we go to big cedar again' haha 

I grew up in SW MO (about an hour north of Big Cedar) and have played all the courses aside from Top of the Rock (which I have zero interest in playing at the price they charge).

I'm not sure if they still do it or not but if you can get the combo rate for mountain top and Buffalo Ridge, it's by far the most reasonable rate out there. If you can't.....

Seems like I have something of a different opinion from some but I generally find the entire Big Cedar experience to be overpriced. I am not saying it is terrible... But for the prices they charge I'd expect pretty spectacular service/experience.

I played Payne's Valley a couple weeks after it opened last fall. While it's pretty, I probably wouldn't play there again. IMO it's at least $100 higher than it should be. The course is fine but the rest of the experience isn't worth the price to me. We also got told by a marshal (on 18 tee) that groups were "backing up behind us"-- Which was funny because we were waiting for the group in front of us to clear the fairway. Also, the restaurant in the clubhouse is just a standard BBQ joint with a walk-up counter. While I don't expect table service in every club house--you have to remember that this is probably the most expensive golf course in the state.  In sum, I paid a *very* premium price and got service that wasn't overly premium. I'm glad I played it but "once was enough."

The other courses are fun to play and generally in good shape but I just don't find them worth the price. For example, Buffalo Ridge used to be owned by a different group and was called "Branson Creek." Big Cedar bought it, added a few water features, did a few changes and doubled the price. It was a great course for $70. Not worth $160 ($175 on weekends).

For non-golf--I haven't stayed at Big Cedar Lodge in quite some time so can't really speak to it specifically. However, I did go to Top of the Rock with the family for NYE dinner... Not sure if it was because of COVID or not but it was very underwhelming for a dinner that was $900 for 5 of us.

Lots of folks love Big Cedar-- For me it just isn't worth the prices they charge.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, FlyingLaw1 said:

I grew up in SW MO (about an hour north of Big Cedar) and have played all the courses aside from Top of the Rock (which I have zero interest in playing at the price they charge).

I'm not sure if they still do it or not but if you can get the combo rate for mountain top and Buffalo Ridge, it's by far the most reasonable rate out there. If you can't.....

Seems like I have something of a different opinion from some but I generally find the entire Big Cedar experience to be overpriced. I am not saying it is terrible... But for the prices they charge I'd expect pretty spectacular service/experience.

I played Payne's Valley a couple weeks after it opened last fall. While it's pretty, I probably wouldn't play there again. IMO it's at least $100 higher than it should be. The course is fine but the rest of the experience isn't worth the price to me. We also got told by a marshal (on 18 tee) that groups were "backing up behind us"-- Which was funny because we were waiting for the group in front of us to clear the fairway. Also, the restaurant in the clubhouse is just a standard BBQ joint with a walk-up counter. While I don't expect table service in every club house--you have to remember that this is probably the most expensive golf course in the state.  In sum, I paid a *very* premium price and got service that wasn't overly premium. I'm glad I played it but "once was enough."

The other courses are fun to play and generally in good shape but I just don't find them worth the price. For example, Buffalo Ridge used to be owned by a different group and was called "Branson Creek." Big Cedar bought it, added a few water features, did a few changes and doubled the price. It was a great course for $70. Not worth $160 ($175 on weekends).

For non-golf--I haven't stayed at Big Cedar Lodge in quite some time so can't really speak to it specifically. However, I did go to Top of the Rock with the family for NYE dinner... Not sure if it was because of COVID or not but it was very underwhelming for a dinner that was $900 for 5 of us.

Lots of folks love Big Cedar-- For me it just isn't worth the prices they charge.

I am very worried about the overpriced aspect, but giving it at least a try once since they have a Coore Crenshaw course and a TW course. We also love hiking, biking, and it’s a beautiful area along the lakes 

oh - And for the BBQ - not only is it just a BBQ restaurant, it’s a rebranded Famous Dave’s...

You’d think a world class resort in that part of the country could do their own BBQ...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ND2005 said:

I am very worried about the overpriced aspect, but giving it at least a try once since they have a Coore Crenshaw course and a TW course. We also love hiking, biking, and it’s a beautiful area along the lakes 

oh - And for the BBQ - not only is it just a BBQ restaurant, it’s a rebranded Famous Dave’s...

You’d think a world class resort in that part of the country could do their own BBQ...

No doubt. I've very biased (since I'm from there 🙂 ) but if you like the outdoors the area is great. And like I said, there's nothing *wrong* with Big Cedar (the golf or otherwise), it's just more than what it is worth to me play again.

You're right... It *is* a Famous Dave's. The more I think about that... That worse it sounds.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, FlyingLaw1 said:

No doubt. I've very biased (since I'm from there 🙂 ) but if you like the outdoors the area is great. And like I said, there's nothing *wrong* with Big Cedar (the golf or otherwise), it's just more than what it is worth to me play again.

You're right... It *is* a Famous Dave's. The more I think about that... That worse it sounds.

I’ve been to Branson before, just not to Big Cedar proper. 

I have no doubt we will have a great week. I want to do it at least once, just like you said I’m not sure it will be $$ worth it to do again after that. 

I’m a total C&C sucker though - I told my wife my new goal is to play every one of their tracks before I die...(9

down and adding 4 more this year)

On 4/4/2021 at 10:12 PM, ND2005 said:

It’s expensive for sure. 

jacks cabin looks amazing but also wildly impractical - 2 king beds and allegedly for 4 people. So I guess if your bros are okay bunking up it’s fine, but not exactly ideal. I’m not really sure who it’s marketed for 

Yeah I agree... the bros would bunk, but being older we certainly appreciate our own rooms. Impractical is a perfect way to put it considering floor plan and rate!

Titleist Vokey SM9 50* 08F, 56* 14F, Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 125 Wedge Flex S

22 hours ago, nlinneman20 said:

I may have been misinterpreted... I guess I just mean't for what beautiful  Ritz and Four Seasons resorts go for down south, Big Cedar pricing is similar, and I feel like I trust the aforementioned more for food and beverage and service than what I have read at Big Cedar. The fishing, shooting, golf, spa etc are all appealing to me.  I wasn't really comparing landscape other than in the respect of resort maintenance and beauty. 

I guess curious how a place like this stacks up to say Greenbrier, or Pinehurst for example.

How was his feedback on hotel vs cabins?

15 hours ago, FlyingLaw1 said:

I think this is kind of what I was getting and, and gave me pause after reading many reviews. I'd probably be more inclined to book an airbnb on a lake somewhere off-site and drive and play 2-3 courses, versus staying at the resort and expecting to eat on-site each day.

We have friends in CoMO so was trying to get out there, spend a day or two and all drive down to BC and stay a couple days. The reviews on food and what not make me question the price to stay on site. The activities look awesome, but also aren't cheap. Again I don't expect cheap at a world class resort (as it is marketed) but I go expect I guess a "wow" factor resort... awesome food, and being waited on hand a foot.

I guess I am trying to compare this to Pinehurst, maybe that is unfair. BC actually seems more like a super resort though, so I expected more of like a disney resort experience. I don't know.

16 hours ago, jibbs1082 said:

I think this is kind of what I was getting and, and gave me pause after reading many reviews. I'd probably be more inclined to book an airbnb on a lake somewhere off-site and drive and play 2-3 courses, versus staying at the resort and expecting to eat on-site each day.

We have friends in CoMO so was trying to get out there, spend a day or two and all drive down to BC and stay a couple days. The reviews on food and what not make me question the price to stay on site. The activities look awesome, but also aren't cheap. Again I don't expect cheap at a world class resort (as it is marketed) but I go expect I guess a "wow" factor resort... awesome food, and being waited on hand a foot.

I guess I am trying to compare this to Pinehurst, maybe that is unfair. BC actually seems more like a super resort though, so I expected more of like a disney resort experience. I don't know.

I’ve been messing around on the site for the last week or so looking at tee times. You can’t book tee times more than 30 days out if you don’t have a room booked. It appears it’s virtually impossible to get a tee time for more than a single at the 18 hole courses without staying on site. 

Edited by mjbfyb

10 hours ago, mjbfyb said:

I’ve been messing around on the site for the last week or so looking at tee times. You can’t book tee times more than 30 days out if you don’t have a room booked. It appears it’s virtually impossible to get a tee time for more than a single at the 18 hole courses without staying on site. 

I just checked and you’re absolutely right. That’s crazy. Guess I’m lucky to have played the courses at all!

12 hours ago, mjbfyb said:

And there's the answer to why its so expensive there....they can charge it and the place gets booked up.  Like i said my boss couldn't even get a cabin in the middle of February when nothing is going on.

• 1 year later...

Headed to Big Cedar May 31st - June 4th, 2023. 

We have a group of 8 guys and have already booked an AirBnB. 

Seems like this was a big mistake!

Called Big Cedar and the tee time representative told me it’s “unlikely” we will get tee times with the 30-day booking window for those not staying at the resort. 

Hoping someone on this forum has some experience with this!

Thanks in advance!