Order of play off the tee

No.  Ready golf trumps 6 hour rounds.

Here's AJGA pace of play guideline:

https://www.ajga.org/player-policies/pace-of-play

AJGA Pace of Play Guidelines

All players are responsible for ensuring the group follows the AJGA Pace of Play guidelines.

• Each group is “on the clock” as soon as it plays from the teeing area on the first hole.
  • Play ready golf throughout the entire round.
  • The first player to hole out should go toward the next tee and be the first to tee off. The second player to finish should replace the flagstick.
  • When spotters or parents are present to search for a lost ball, players should continue playing and hold the group’s position on the golf course.
  • WALK WITH A PURPOSE between shots.
Edited by mrshinsa
  • Like 2

In match play, yes ...

It can in stroke play, but if this is the local rule, it's the rule.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

In the grand scheme of things not really for stroke play, but it can have a bit of an effect on the mental aspect of golf. Watching someone you're battling with knock it stiff on a par 3 might rattle your nerves a bit as you get ready to hit your shot.

Playing "ready golf" is one thing, but instructing people to start walking to the next hole while your playing partners are still trying to finish is teaching really bad etiquette. I imagine they haven't thought that one out all that much. I know if I was standing over a putt and someone started picking up their bag and walking away I'd back off and wait until they were gone before putting. Seems like it might actually cause play to slow down due to that factor. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Abh159 said:

In the grand scheme of things not really for stroke play, but it can have a bit of an effect on the mental aspect of golf. Watching someone you're battling with knock it stiff on a par 3 might rattle your nerves a bit as you get ready to hit your shot.

Playing "ready golf" is one thing, but instructing people to start walking to the next hole while your playing partners are still trying to finish is teaching really bad etiquette. I imagine they haven't thought that one out all that much. I know if I was standing over a putt and someone started picking up their bag and walking away I'd back off and wait until they were gone before putting. Seems like it might actually cause play to slow down due to that factor. 

This has been the AJGA rule for years.  I don't like it, but it is the rule.

With that said, junior played a tournament this weekend and was 3 hrs 45 minutes on Saturday and

3 hrs 55 min on Sunday.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

8 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

This has been the AJGA rule for years.  I don't like it, but it is the rule.

With that said, junior played a tournament this weekend and was 3 hrs 45 minutes on Saturday and

3 hrs 55 min on Sunday.

My my how times have changed 🤣!

When I used to play AJGA they enforced pace of play and put players on the clock, but it was never so extreme that the encouraged you to literally walk away while others were still trying to finish the hole. I don't particularly remember any super long rounds either except for maybe 1-2 in the final round of the invitationals. 

The only major "rule" they had was removing your hat while indoors. They would literally scold kids who didn't do that. Not sure if that still happens or not. 

13 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

My my how times have changed 🤣!

When I used to play AJGA they enforced pace of play and put players on the clock, but it was never so extreme that the encouraged you to literally walk away while others were still trying to finish the hole. I don't particularly remember any super long rounds either except for maybe 1-2 in the final round of the invitationals. 

The only major "rule" they had was removing your hat while indoors. They would literally scold kids who didn't do that. Not sure if that still happens or not. 

I referee for AJGA a couple of times a year and I can assure you that they're still all over the "no hats indoors" thing. I have to remind myself to take my hat off so as to not get a dirty look from the tournament director. 🙂

I'll say this, of all the other refereeing I do, Carolinas Golf Association, USGA, college men and women and high school, AJGA is the best to work for. If anyone is at the Sevierville TN event in April, please look me up. 

• Like 2

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

USGA rules cover this, if you hunt a bit... 

6.4 Order of Play When Playing Hole.

Purpose of Rule: Rule 6.4 covers the order of play throughout a hole. The order of play from the teeing area depends on who has the honour, and after that is based on which ball is farthest from the hole.

• In match play, the order of play* is fundamental; if you play out of turn, your opponent may cancel that stroke and make you play again.

• In stroke play, there is no penalty for playing out of turn, and you are both allowed and encouraged to play “ready golf”, that is to play out of turn in a safe and responsible way.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=pe&section=rule&rulenum=6

Here's a video clip on Pace of Play under modernized rules of 2019:

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/rules-modernization/major-changes/encouraging-prompt-pace-of-play.html

(* In Match play, opponents may agree to play "ready golf" to save time.)

Edited by ChipNRun
*Match play clarification.
  • Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Personally, I think leaving before all putts are holed is a bit ridiculous and disrespectful but whoever gets to the tee first go ahead and get it going. We play with a kid and dad who are notoriously slow walkers between holes. Not waiting an extra 2 minutes for them to get there if they did best on the previous hole.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, jj9000 said:

This weekend.

3 hours and 26 minutes.

9 holes.

That is ... just wow.

There are guys on this forum that would say "still better than being home."

• Like 1

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

What's sad some people see "X" as better choice than "Y", so they eliminate "Y" from the game.  PoP has nothing to do with "Order of play" in a game or tournament.  The problem is the mindset of people playing the game; not the Order of play, as it has a game purpose.

It's annoying as hell to watch some people use the wrong choices to fix a problem.  The car needs new tires, but instead people change the oil.  The Car still needs tires.

• Confused 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

I'm not a fan of the 1st on to hole out walking away while the other 2 putt. Not a fan of him teeing off with out the other 2 are not watching. I think he should be ready to leave when the 3rd guy has holed out 2nd guy replaces flag. Then the 1st guy is ready when the rest get to the tee.

With that being said we have been at many 3.5 hour nine hole tournaments and understand why people have to make these rules. Learning pace of play is just as important as learning how to putt. As they get older its important 

For those who think Order of Play is more important than Pace of Play, imagine playing a 6+ hour round towards sunset and not being able to finish, just to be told to come back early next day to finish last two holes, AND to tee off again in the afternoon for the second round.  😑

Edited by mrshinsa
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Tannerbug33 said:

I'm not a fan of the 1st on to hole out walking away while the other 2 putt. Not a fan of him teeing off with out the other 2 are not watching. I think he should be ready to leave when the 3rd guy has holed out 2nd guy replaces flag. Then the 1st guy is ready when the rest get to the tee.

With that being said we have been at many 3.5 hour nine hole tournaments and understand why people have to make these rules. Learning pace of play is just as important as learning how to putt. As they get older its important 

AJGA does not instruct the "1st to hole out" to tee off by his or herself. They are merely to be ready to be the first to play off the next tee. 

https://www.ajga.org/player-policies/pace-of-play

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

Only on GolfWRX just play ready golf and everyone is usually happy.   The more tournaments you play the more you figure out that as long as the other players actually hit the ball and don't take forever between shots it all seems to work out.

For me the issue of ettique is more about attitude on the course. I know this is a bigger problem for girls but no one including the other girls want to deal with fits and just whiny behavior.   Lots of reasons for this but order of play is not really a big deal.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mrshinsa said:

For those who think Order of Play is more important than Pace of Play, imagine playing a 6+ hour round towards sunset and not being able to finish, just to be told to come back early next day to finish last two holes, AND to tee off again in the afternoon for the second round.  😑

I been there done that and that was the last time I will play a tour that cares more about order of play then actually playing.  In case anyone wants to know avoid the top50jr tour unless you want to do what @mrshinsa is talking about.

12 hours ago, Noles said:

AJGA's policy on order of play is fantastic and should be the norm in tournaments.  It is not poor etiquette for the first to finish to quietly collect their things and head to the next tee.  

Quietly is the key.  A kid packing up and walking with his clubs on his back will create noise.  The universal expectation of etiquette is to be silent when others are putting.  

I have noticed several times recently where really good girl players will automatically want to run up and finish out their putts. The step all in the lines of the other players doing it. They want to be done and off the whole as fast as they can and they don’t consider the other players. As some have pointed out, many of them walk off the green and don’t even know what their playing partners made. To me that reeks of “it’s all about me” attitude. You would think parents and coaches would teach their kids better etiquette. The crazy part is I’m seeing it with the higher level kids that my daughter has played with. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Golfingdawg19 said:

I have noticed several times recently where really good girl players will automatically want to run up and finish out their putts. The step all in the lines of the other players doing it. They want to be done and off the whole as fast as they can and they don’t consider the other players. As some have pointed out, many of them walk off the green and don’t even know what their playing partners made. To me that reeks of “it’s all about me” attitude. You would think parents and coaches would teach their kids better etiquette. The crazy part is I’m seeing it with the higher level kids that my daughter has played with. 

There are a couple of entitled girl's in South Florida notorious for doing this.  Several have "I am that kid" reputation.  Pretty Sad my daughter is going to be graduating from college next month, but I still know who these girl's are by name.

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Medson said:

The order of play may occasionally have some benefits for one player over another player. 

If pace of play is slow, the entire field loses and tour's reputation suffers. If you are the tour organizer, it is an easy call. 

I know my son will play games with people and who tees off first.  I think it happens a lot as competitors as they get older.  If a kid is really slow on the greens, lines up tap in putts, etc. he will purposefully get on the tee box first just to irritate them.  Generally, he likes to go 2nd or 3rd regardless of what he made on the previous hole.  If he gets to the tee box, has what is considered honors, but someone is visibly irritated after a bad hole he will let them get up and hit first.  Generally speaking, it is a bad drive by that person.  It becomes a game within the game for many.

1 hour ago, Golfingdawg19 said:

Some this is the tours themselves.  FJT like to give out penalties for time to the whole group.

one the only way to defend everyone is do what you just describe.  When we play FJT I try and make sure my daughter talks mentions that they need to finish and walk off the green.  She doesn’t like it but you have to do what you have to do.  

now some girls are entitled and well that is another story.  Those girls have a weak mental game.

• Like 1