Be Better, Brad! (Update 3-18-2024 with new swing videos)

That was a great round to read! You got off to a very solid start and I find that seems to help the mental side of the game. The 'issues' because of pure contact are also very good to read about. It's a definite sign of progress. Eventually you'll do that more and adjust your game/yardages as needed. We can't play assuming pure contact at our level, so play the odds and if you catch it pure, enjoy watching the ball do what it's meant to do.

Are you addicted to that click sound yet? It's how I tell my strike was pure. 

Not many blow ups and sometimes they just happen. It sounds like your mental game was solid since you didn't let that first oine derail your round, been there done that, lol.

Regarding the G25 driver, using it on a few holes is still a hard way to see how well it works. I replaced my driver earlier this year and the more I swing it, the better it seems to get. Sure I am having peaks and valleys with it but overall it seems to be getting better over time. I'd try to get a fitting for driver and any other clubs that you're thinking of replacing. You're not build like the average guy. Also with my driver and iron fittings this year, the fitters kept swapping out shafts to find the one that worked the best. The stiffness was simple since I don't swing hard, R flex it was. But they started to try different weights. With my driver, that guy went with a lighter shaft than I was using. Irons, that fitter went with slightly heavier shafts.

I agree with your assessment that you need to get the 4w or driver into play to help yourself in the long run. For years I teed off with a 5i, eventually I moved to a 7w, then it was a 3w. This was because my driver always went right on me. I called it an insta-slice. It was great on the 90* dog leg right par 5 9th at my old course. I never dared to use it on the course except in rare circumstances. Eventually I saw the occasional draw with it and I started to use it regardless of the issues I was having with it. I decided, and the pro I was working with agreed, that I needed to learn how to hit that club. Sure it wasn't easy or magical but once it got under reasonable control, it really helped. I started to shorten holes which made life easier. My home course range was short irons only, so I really couldn't work on my driver swing that easily. Well, I could but the other places with ranges were not an convenient since I could get to the home course in 5 minutes or so. 

I would suggest strongly considering the best way for you to learn to get that driver into use, whether it's via the range or on the course. It will help quite a bit in the long run. Just remember that it may not go smoothly but that's okay.

Oddly, the 121 started off with a par on a par 5 after a beautiful sand save. My buddies were joking when I was putting for par on #1 that I'd better not make it because of what happened last time lol.

Strangely, when I hit a shot pure, I don't hear impact. I think my brain filters it out somehow. Much like I hear the "whoosh" of my club on a practice swing and NEVER hear it on the real swing. I know the "knock" sound of low on the face or a toe strike with my irons, but not a pure shot. Maybe that's what it was and my brain didn't filter it out. 

I do need a driver fitting. That buddy just offered letting me try the club, so I figured I'd give it a shot in case I loved it. Not sure I can get over the tinny sound of the Ping though... Never thought I'd say that lol. My plan will be irons first (planning to get fit for Wishon EQ1-NX single length, hopefully in the month of June) and then I'll work on driver next. I will say that this club was one of the few graphite drivers that didn't feel completely "wrong" and too light for me. My current driver has a Dynalite S100 steel shaft and swings at E0 swing weight. Most graphite drivers I've ever swung feel too light, and this one with the 70g shaft was much more comfortable. 

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

Nice work dude!! I've been following your progress. Seems like things are heading in the right direction for you. Encouraging for me to see someone in the 90's who I feel like is sort of on the same path as I am. I've definitely gotten worse since starting my journey of rebuilding my swing, but I've stuck with it and I feel like things are starting to come together. Hoping I am finally starting on the same forward trajectory that you seem to now be on.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BigTerp1524 said:

Nice work dude!! I've been following your progress. Seems like things are heading in the right direction for you. Encouraging for me to see someone in the 90's who I feel like is sort of on the same path as I am. I've definitely gotten worse since starting my journey of rebuilding my swing, but I've stuck with it and I feel like things are starting to come together. Hoping I am finally starting on the same forward trajectory that you seem to now be on.  

Thanks. I think you got a lot more swing work in during the winter because you can do it inside, but I've got the advantage that I got to play all winter lol. I think a lot of my improvement is more in the short game and putting, simply from more on-course practice and learning "feel". I think I'm getting close to turning a corner in the swing work though, which is exciting.

I think you're probably ahead of me on the swing changes. And I think as soon as you order the rest of your set of plus-length clubs, you're finally going to feel like you're swinging adult clubs lol... I think that will make a big difference as you don't need to be completely hunched over the club. 

• Like 1

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

6 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Thanks. I think you got a lot more swing work in during the winter because you can do it inside, but I've got the advantage that I got to play all winter lol. I think a lot of my improvement is more in the short game and putting, simply from more on-course practice and learning "feel". I think I'm getting close to turning a corner in the swing work though, which is exciting.

I think you're probably ahead of me on the swing changes. And I think as soon as you order the rest of your set of plus-length clubs, you're finally going to feel like you're swinging adult clubs lol... I think that will make a big difference as you don't need to be completely hunched over the club. 

Agreed with all of this. My short game is pretty trash, honestly. I putt decently enough, but my chipping and sand play can be atrocious at times!! I've spent SO much time working on my full swing that I've gotten in very little pitching/chipping practice, and it shows. I also don't get to go out and play nearly as much as you do, which obviously leads to less time working on the aforementioned. I have watched Monte's original UTB series, but need to dedicate more time working on it. We all know improved short game will quickly shave some strokes.

Yeah, I'm thinking getting a set of properly fit clubs will round things for me and let me start to really dial things in. Hoping it also helps my pitching/chipping become more consistent. 

You say "I think I'm getting close to turning a corner in the swing work though, which is exciting." I'll tell you that I honestly felt lost here for MONTHS, and results were crazy bad at times. I knew I was improving but it's such a frustrating process at times of 2 steps forward, 1 step back (sometimes 2 or 3 steps back). Even after a lesson with Monte, the struggle was still real. But then I started to feel more and more comfortable and like things are coming together. Needed changes got smaller, less drastic, simpler and easier to implement. Then all of a sudden things really started feeling good, consistent and engrained and I could finally see the difference with real results. It sounds like you're in about the same spot. It's such a good feeling to finally realize the work is paying off. Looking forward to following your continued progress!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigTerp1524 said:

Agreed with all of this. My short game is pretty trash, honestly. I putt decently enough, but my chipping and sand play can be atrocious at times!! I've spent SO much time working on my full swing that I've gotten in very little pitching/chipping practice, and it shows. I also don't get to go out and play nearly as much as you do, which obviously leads to less time working on the aforementioned. I have watched Monte's original UTB series, but need to dedicate more time working on it. We all know improved short game will quickly shave some strokes.

Yeah, I'm thinking getting a set of properly fit clubs will round things for me and let me start to really dial things in. Hoping it also helps my pitching/chipping become more consistent. 

You say "I think I'm getting close to turning a corner in the swing work though, which is exciting." I'll tell you that I honestly felt lost here for MONTHS, and results were crazy bad at times. I knew I was improving but it's such a frustrating process at times of 2 steps forward, 1 step back (sometimes 2 or 3 steps back). Even after a lesson with Monte, the struggle was still real. But then I started to feel more and more comfortable and like things are coming together. Needed changes got smaller, less drastic, simpler and easier to implement. Then all of a sudden things really started feeling good, consistent and engrained and I could finally see the difference with real results. It sounds like you're in about the same spot. It's such a good feeling to finally realize the work is paying off. Looking forward to following your continued progress!!

You bring up a good point about the improvement process. It's not linear nor quick. Monte has mentioned it many times about  a pro works on a swing change for years and an am will quit after 3 range sessions. There are going to be set backs along the way. That's why it's important to have faith in your instructor, regardless if it's in person, online, a dvd, or book. I went through a multiyear swing change a long time ago( probably could use another, lol) and if I didn't believe in the path my pro and I were on was good, I'd have quit because it's not all rainbows, unicorns, and puppies out there.

Something else that helps with the learning process is finding different things that show improvement. You have to know the changes are making a difference. For me it was ball flight when I was playing back then. Did the ball go left? Good! I was trying to get rid of a slice, so even a hook was good to see on the course. Sure I overcooked it and probably lost a stroke or two but it was closer to what I was trying to do. Today, it's a mix of contact and ball flight.

• Like 1

Good luck OP.

Honestly when I read your hole by hole play by play I don't read it as you having a short game issue.  Most of your scoring problems (at least in this particular round) resulted from penalty shots and long game. Sure we would love to make more putts and get up and down more frequently but judging by this play by play there is WAYYYYY more juice to squeeze in cleaning up the ball striking.

Just my perspective.

@BigTerp1524 Yeah, that's the thing of it. I haven't been "working on" my short game and putting, but just playing on the course forces it. I do try on the range when I'm getting a little tired to throw in some partial wedge shots aiming at specific targets with different wedges, different ball placement/trajectory, opening the face, etc. But because I don't know the distances those targets are and because I'm hitting range rocks, it's more about working on the feel of contact than distance control. 

How big of a property are you on? You may be able to do more short game practice if you've got space. If you can mark out distances up to say 40-50 yards and just work on carrying the ball to each marker with various clubs, trajectories, and swing lengths, it would go a long way to scoring. 

For me the "turn the corner" I think is that I was making the new swing on the range, and the old swing on the course, and then I hit a transition where I couldn't hit anything because the course swing became in between the old and the new... Trying to get over that hump now. 

7 minutes ago, BigManSlim said:

Good luck OP.

Honestly when I read your hole by hole play by play I don't read it as you having a short game issue.  Most of your scoring problems (at least in this particular round) resulted from penalty shots and long game. Sure we would love to make more putts and get up and down more frequently but judging by this play by play there is WAYYYYY more juice to squeeze in cleaning up the ball striking.

Just my perspective.

Right now the biggest flaw is the long game, especially that anything longer than say a 5i is completely suspect, and I can't even feel good pulling driver or 4w out of the bag. As I start getting into the mid irons, short irons, and wedges, it's all a lot more reliable. 

My short game isn't great, but I agree it's not as limiting for my scoring right now as my long game. I think if I can get the long game in better shape, then the short game shoots up the priority list to work on. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bortass said:

You bring up a good point about the improvement process. It's not linear nor quick. Monte has mentioned it many times about  a pro works on a swing change for years and an am will quit after 3 range sessions. There are going to be set backs along the way. That's why it's important to have faith in your instructor, regardless if it's in person, online, a dvd, or book. I went through a multiyear swing change a long time ago( probably could use another, lol) and if I didn't believe in the path my pro and I were on was good, I'd have quit because it's not all rainbows, unicorns, and puppies out there.

Something else that helps with the learning process is finding different things that show improvement. You have to know the changes are making a difference. For me it was ball flight when I was playing back then. Did the ball go left? Good! I was trying to get rid of a slice, so even a hook was good to see on the course. Sure I overcooked it and probably lost a stroke or two but it was closer to what I was trying to do. Today, it's a mix of contact and ball flight.

I was aware of this going in, so that helped. But I can see how some attempt a swing change of some sort and quickly abandon it because the results are poor. I really tried to embrace the process and that really helped me get through the numerous (too many to count) downs. 

Agreed with your second point as well. I'm actually thankful that I spent the better part of 4 months hitting foam balls into a net really working on some specific swing changes. I was able to hit the range once and a simulator once in that time. Results left me discouraged. I think if I was working on my swing a bunch more watching ball flight I would have gotten even more discouraged. Now that I've gotten to the point where things are much more consistent, and I've made some pretty good strides with my swing in general, watching ball flight and shot shape are much more rewarding and educational. Not just because I'm getting better results, but I also have a much better understanding of what I'm doing and what I learn from the feedback. My last round on #4 I hit a nice pretty draw with my driver.....right into the woods to be lost. I was ecstatic though!! I aim down the left side of the fairway because my miss has always been a push, fade, slice. I've NEVER hooked nor drawn a ball. Even though I went OB and lost a few strokes I was finally seeing some progress and understood what it meant. I continued to have a nice little draw for most of the round, but my fade/slice came back towards the end. I shot a 113, but never felt better after a round. I was finally heading in the right direction and getting the results I wanted, with my full swing at least. 

Another thing that helped me was not being afraid to try different approaches. I'm not saying completely change the method or program, but the approach. For instance, I've been working with Monte's NTC since January. I really struggled with getting the concept and feel of cast A. I struggled with this for quite a while until I found a few different things from AMG. These drills were different than what Monte was teaching, but still fell in line with what I was specifically working on. They clicked and things feel in place from there. The trick here though is to make sure you're not doing something than contradicts what you're learning from your instructor. Can be a bit tough to discern at times.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

@BigTerp1524 Yeah, that's the thing of it. I haven't been "working on" my short game and putting, but just playing on the course forces it. I do try on the range when I'm getting a little tired to throw in some partial wedge shots aiming at specific targets with different wedges, different ball placement/trajectory, opening the face, etc. But because I don't know the distances those targets are and because I'm hitting range rocks, it's more about working on the feel of contact than distance control. 

How big of a property are you on? You may be able to do more short game practice if you've got space. If you can mark out distances up to say 40-50 yards and just work on carrying the ball to each marker with various clubs, trajectories, and swing lengths, it would go a long way to scoring. 

For me the "turn the corner" I think is that I was making the new swing on the range, and the old swing on the course, and then I hit a transition where I couldn't hit anything because the course swing became in between the old and the new... Trying to get over that hump now. 

That's a good idea. I've got enough room out to probably 40 yards to play it safe with real balls. How do you feel about working on longer short games shots off of a mat? I'm fine pitching and chipping in the grass, just don't want to tear up the yard hitting fuller shots. My dog does enough of that already.

Sounds like you're well on your way then!! Mine was when I finally let go of all the swing thoughts and just swung my swing (is that even how you say it?). I realized it was much more in line with my "new swing" than I was giving myself credit for. Clearly not perfect by any means, but a lot of obviously improved results that have been very encouraging. You're probably in the same boat, but another thing that's helped my confidence and been really encouraging is instead of having to think about or feel for the correct way, I now feel the wrong way or when things break down. For instance, before I had to really focus on keeping my shoulders from spinning out which left my hands/arms trailing behind my body. Now I instantly feel when I get back into this habit. Lets me know all the changes are getting engrained.  

@BigTerp1524 Mats, to me, would be fine in this case. One thing a mat can do is make it easier to "get away with" fat shots. But you should be striking ball before ground on a descending angle of attack when you're hitting irons even in short game, so a mat shouldn't impact your distance control as long as you're not hitting fat.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

@BigTerp1524 Mats, to me, would be fine in this case. One thing a mat can do is make it easier to "get away with" fat shots. But you should be striking ball before ground on a descending angle of attack when you're hitting irons even in short game, so a mat shouldn't impact your distance control as long as you're not hitting fat.

Cool, thanks!! I've hit off my mat enough that I can pretty well feel when I hit it fat. What I've been doing is putting the ball on the very end of the mat and I know if I feel a bunch of mat versus very little how I hit it. When I use it outside I do the same and aim for feeling the grass in front of the mat versus the turf of the mat. I've even put a guitar pick on the forward most rubber of the mat with the ball on the very end of the turf. If I spin the pick I know I made a good descending blow on the ball. If I feel turf and the pick doesn't move it's a fat shot. Seems pretty unorthodox, but I've found all sorts of weird ways to get some decent feedback hitting foam balls into a net inside.   

• Like 1

Hit the range this morning. Here is where I currently stand with the 8i...

Getting a little more open, but still a bit of early extension. It's hard as heck to train that out. 

Of course, if you think that early extension is bad... Well here's that Ping G25 driver 😳

I'm not going to comment on any issues, fixes, etc. We all know I've got plenty of my own to sort out. Just wanted to say keep grinding and I TOTALLY understand what you say when you said 

7 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

It's hard as heck to train that out.

Not just your EE, but a lot of stuff that sometimes seems or should be simple to correct become the hardest thing to fix.

Edited by BigTerp1524

BTW I didn't get video, but as I got further into the session I hit some absolute artillery with that driver. Like "running up the back of the range" shots. Long, high trajectory, and just crushed.

Man, that felt great!!!

It's still not the right driver for me, I don't think, but it's better and longer than anything I've ever hit with my <300cc, steel-shafted driver, even at 12*. That big face allowed me to tee it up high without worrying about hitting it off the crown like a 9i, so I could get positive AoA. 

They were the sort of shots that make me want to practice driver 😉 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

BTW I didn't get video, but as I got further into the session I hit some absolute artillery with that driver. Like "running up the back of the range" shots. Long, high trajectory, and just crushed.

Man, that felt great!!!

It's still not the right driver for me, I don't think, but it's better and longer than anything I've ever hit with my <300cc, steel-shafted driver, even at 12*. That big face allowed me to tee it up high without worrying about hitting it off the crown like a 9i, so I could get positive AoA. 

They were the sort of shots that make me want to practice driver 😉 

Keep working on things and you should find the driver improves. At least that’s my experience, I rarely hit driver on the range and it’s been getter better.

Driver being on will make a big difference in your game. So regardless on how you get that swing working, it’s well worth.

1 hour ago, bortass said:

Keep working on things and you should find the driver improves. At least that’s my experience, I rarely hit driver on the range and it’s been getter better.

Driver being on will make a big difference in your game. So regardless on how you get that swing working, it’s well worth.

Yeah, I need it. Going to try to get my iron fitting sometime this month (hopefully soon), but then I think driver will have to come shortly thereafter. Probably look at that in July.

I thought looking down at that giant dinner plate of a head was going to throw me off, but after a few swings that went away quickly. 

1 hour ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Yeah, I need it. Going to try to get my iron fitting sometime this month (hopefully soon), but then I think driver will have to come shortly thereafter. Probably look at that in July.

I thought looking down at that giant dinner plate of a head was going to throw me off, but after a few swings that went away quickly. 

Everyone is different but the larger driver heads have never bothered me. I know my new driver is paying dividends, how much is swing versus the club? No clue, I just know my results have been very solid lately.

Have you scheduled the iron fitting yet?

3 hours ago, bortass said:

Everyone is different but the larger driver heads have never bothered me. I know my new driver is paying dividends, how much is swing versus the club? No clue, I just know my results have been very solid lately.

Have you scheduled the iron fitting yet?

Not yet. Our puppy just reached 18 months and needed to get fixed, so that was ~10 days ago and I wanted to put it off until he's got recovered. That'll be all clear this week, so I need to get that scheduled. 

The Wishon fitter is about an hour drive away, so I need to figure out when I can do it given my work schedule...

Epic fail today. Thought I had made a tee time at the 9 hole for me, my son, and my father in law. Turns out I got the day wrong and it's for Wednesday. Oops.

That said, we hit the range instead. Overall my striking is coming back. And the driver is starting to come around. I think it might make a good interim allowing me to put off a fitting and brand new driver purchase...

Anyone have guidance on what a good used value is for a Ping G25 10.5 with Diamana 70 in stiff (I'm assuming that's a stock shaft)? It's in decent shape, but not mint or like new...

• Like 1

Made it to the range today. Really just focusing on getting that left hip back and sequencing. 

Where I was focusing my mental though process was more on that left heel. I feel like I'm still getting a little too much slide, as evidenced by how much I move my weight to the outside of the left foot rather than into the bottom of the left foot and the heel. 

By focusing on that it gets me back to some of the feels I had with my lesson with Monte, where I can feel the "squat" into the left side and getting that pressure into the ground to push off of. That helps me to get the hip rotation, get the left hip back, get less EE, etc. 

Got a few stills of impact position:

8i FO

image.png.24c7d4f7e827794a185de58e3975fccc.png

8i DTL:

image.png.9412aa30546318eee3c75bfad131c430.png

Driver DTL:

image.png.1fb2096128c153f38142331bf1dcf981.png

Contact was pretty good all day. 

I took some of these videos at full speed this time, and did some tempo measurements. I'm pretty consistently about a 23/9 or 23/9.5, so I think I'm in a good ballpark there. 

I've got my iron fitting next Thursday, so I'm really looking forward to that. 

1 hour ago, bortass said:

I have never been able get the 'squat' move. I've seen Monte describe it a few different ways but have not been able to get it down. I will eventually have to spend some time on it.

Playing this weekend?

It's not much of a squat... It's really just loading that left side into the ground, more of a pressure thing than anything else. For me it's like I just feel myself gain a little bit of flex in the left knee as I get to the top of the backswing and into transition. Maybe almost feels like I'm "falling" onto my left side a little bit. From there I'm extending the left leg and left side as I go from transition->impact to move that left hip back and make room for the swing. 

It's still not quite easy or natural, but that's what I'm feeling when I do it. And when I do it right, the ball just explodes off the face. 

Playing the par-60 course this weekend. The guy who lent me the driver is joining us this time, and as long as he's not asking some ridiculous price, I think I'm going to pick it up. There's only about 1-2 holes on that course I can even pull it out, but it would be really crazy to blast it 275 over the creek on #9 there (the hole I posted upthread) and then not buy it from him lol... 

And I'm now the proud owner of the G25 driver for the low low price of $100. Woo!

• Like 1

Played 18 yesterday. 

The course is Oso Creek in Mission Viejo, CA. It's 3670 yards, par 60. The Grint says it’s a course rating is 58.2, slope of 99. Course has no driving range. Got out at 8 AM, so it was before the heat set in, with an expected high of ~85 and sunny. It wasn’t the usual crowd today, and all of us are roughly the same level, so we played straight up skins without any strokes.

Hole 1, 285 yard par 4, HDCP 11: Straight hole with little trouble. Creek crossing the fairway short and shouldn't be in play. Left-side fairway bunker and green protected in front right by a bunker. Without a warmup I just take 5i here. I aim right to play for my draw, and double-cross it with a weak push (suspected toe strike) down the right, finishing over the cart path essentially in what would be the rough of #2. That’s not horrible though—clean shot at the green from here. I’m about 130 out over a bunker. I take PW and hit it a bit low on the face and left, but it runs up to the left of the bunker just on the fringe 6” off the front of the green. I’ve got a pretty straight 25-footer, and putt from the fringe, leaving myself about 3 ½ feet, which I make for par. Par, E.

Hole 2, 171 yard par 3, HDCP 9: Straight downhill par 3 with no trouble short, but a bunker right and a bunker behind the green, which slopes back to front. Pin is back and it looks to be playing almost 180. I’d rather be short than long so I take 6i here and swing easy. I make great contact, starting right of the pin and drawing left. The ball lands on the left half of the green, about center depth. Overall pretty happy with that. I’ve now got about a 33’ putt up the hill to the cup, and I just mash it long and left. Completely misread it and knew as soon as it left the face of the putter that it was long. I’ve now got a 6 footer to save par, which I fail to make, and tap in for bogey. Ugh. I hate three-putting for bogey. Bogey, +1.

Hole 3, 146 yard par 3, HDCP 15: Slightly uphill, with a bunker short left and long right. Pin is center, and it's playing a little under 140. I take PW and I don’t know if I just picked the wrong club or it was a mishit (the ball looked dead in the air), and it lands just short and right of the green. I chip with SW to about 6 feet. Unfortunately, I miss the putt and end up with another 4. Bogey, +2.

Hole 4, 266 yard par 4, HDCP 13: This hole has trees all down the right side, and the fairway slopes pretty strongly right-to-left. The trees can catch errant balls to the right, dropping them on the slope where they often roll right to the middle. There's a fairway bunker to the left and the only protection for the green is a bunker behind and a pond to the FAR left. I take 6i, and push it into the trees to the right. I don’t hear any huge impacts nor do I see it feed down the hill, so I hit a provisional. Which I also push right into the trees, but farther downrange and I see it drop out of the tree and roll back across the cart path. Oddly enough, As I’m walking up the cart path I see my first ball, about 30 yards shorter, and just across the cart path as well. So at least I avoid the penalty. From here I’m still about 200 out, and I don’t have an angle at the green due to the trees. I attempt a cut with the 5i, but it’s a straight pull instead, and didn’t make great contact anyway, so it ends up in the left rough about 60 yards from the green. From there I hit a half-SW, which I pull a bit left, but it finishes pin-high on the left fringe. I’m about 25-30 feet out, putt to about 4 feet, and make that. Bogey, +3.

Hole 5, 168 yard par 3, HDCP 5: This is an uphill hole, plays long to a blind green. Bunker to the left and anything farther left is a steep slope down to the creek. It’s playing long today to a back pin, so I take 6i. I hit it flush and it starts nice, but turns left, and left… It hits the mound left of the bunker and I see it bounce left from there, and I know it’s not going to be fun. I’m past the creek, luckily, but I’m now down a huge hill, across the cart path under the 6th tee, with a downhill lie, hitting up the hill and have to keep it under trees to reach the green. And with that bounce I’m about 50-60 yards out. I plan an 8i punch because with the downhill lie and hitting uphill, I figure that’s the right club to keep me under the trees. It works, and advances me past the trees and up the hill, but the ball gets caught up in rough before reaching the green. From there I chip out of the rough with SW to about 12 feet. I miss the put, but I’m left with a tap-in at least. Double, +5.

After that tee shot, double is an acceptable score here.

Hole 6, 296 yard par 4, HDCP 7: Elevated tee, creek across the hole that shouldn't be in play, which continues up the left side and becomes a greenside pond. Fairway bunker down the right side about 200 yds and the green is protected on the right by a bunker and the left by the pond. This isn’t an ideal driver hole, as everything narrows as you approach the green, but I didn’t buy it to keep it in my bag, right? Send it! I hit it decently, but it’s a little off the toe and I can see it starts right and is coming back left. Easily clears that bunker down the right and rolls out not that far away from the green, just in the right rough. I remember to use my phone to track it, and I get to my ball. 268 yards. From there I’ve got a slightly tough chip as it’s a front pin, but with this green it slopes heavily back to front, so I’m not worried about stopping it. I hit a chip perfectly on line, lands just onto the green, and rolls right up to the cup, dropping for eagle! Oh… Wait. That’s what I envisioned in my head… In reality, the line WAS perfect but it hits 2 feet short of the green, takes an unfortunate kick to the right, and rolls up pin high about 12 feet to the right of the cup… I’ve got a tricky right-to-left breaking birdie putt here, and I miss it high by about 2 inches. Par, +5.

Hole 7, 148 yard par 3, HDCP 17: Straight hole, protected right and behind by bunkers. Pin in the center, and I pull 9i. Hit it flush, starts a little right of the pin, curves left, and drops on the left side of the green, pin high, and stops dead.  I’ve got about 20 feet for birdie, expecting a pretty strong left-to-right break. I stroke the putt and it doesn’t break nearly as much as I thought, and I hit it long, leaving me with a 5-footer coming back for par. Luckily, I manage to actually sink that putt. Par, +5.

Hole 8, 174 yard par 3, HDCP 3: Tough hole, always seems to play longer than its distance. Narrow, long green, protected right and left by bunkers, and a creek across the "fairway" that shouldn't be in play. Pin is all the way back so this is playing about 180. I pull 6i and hit a really nice draw that lands about center depth of the green on the left side, and sticks dead again. I’ve now got an uphill breaking 35-footer for birdie. I strike it well but it turns more than I expect, and I miss low and about 2 ½ feet long. That’s enough to sweat, but I make the putt from there. Par, +5.

Hole 9, 317 yard par 4, HDCP 1: I hate this hole. I really, really do. There's a creek running along the left side and then crossing the fairway right at the 220-230 mark, particularly when the tees are back like they are today. So I can pull driver and have a 230+ yd forced carry, or I can pull PW because with the way the fairway feeds down to the water, anything longer than PW could leave me wet. Tees are ALL the way back today. Since this is the one hole on this course where driver makes a difference, and since I’m hitting it well [on the range], it’s time to let the big dog eat! I wind up and smack it, and it’s a slightly low pull, dead in line with the cart path on the other side of the creek. Not my best strike, but good enough. I don’t see where it finishes, until I’m almost down by the creek, and realize it’s just to the right of the cart path, about 10 yards short of the green. Yeah… A 300 yard drive? No big deal [when you get a cart path assist lol]. Now I’m thinking birdie, and pitch with my SW… And flub it 5 yards, to the roasting of all my buddies after that giant drive. I hit the next pitch, and at least don’t chunk it, but it rolls out 20 feet past the pin. Now I’ve got a 20-foot, right-to-left breaking, downhill, putt to save par. And I haven’t putted well all day. I tap it, and it looks good… I’m doing the Tiger Woods “following the putt” walk as I see it turning left, almost right on line, speed dying as it approaches the hole, and with the speed almost gone the right edge of the cup grabs it and it falls in for par. I might have even had a Tiger fist pump in there. That putt made up for that horrible pitch lol! Par, +5.

Hole 10, 242 yard par 4, HDCP 16: Another hole that almost always screws me. It's so short and easy, and playing ~225 today, with a bunker short left but otherwise pretty benign. But it's never a good hole for me. If I go for it it’s usually ugly, but somehow I manage to usually screw up my conservative lay-ups too. But not today! I pull 6i and just plan to lay up in the fairway, and hit a beautiful draw that ends up dead center about 180 out. From there I pitch uphill with SW, and it looks a little left, but good. I can’t see it as the green is blind from there, but I get up and I’m about 8’ left of the pin, pin high, with a good birdie opportunity. Alas, I must have lost my putting karma on that last hole, because I hit it 2 inches right of the cup, and tap in from there. Par, +5.

Wait… Is that 5 pars in a row?!

Hole 11, 172-yard par 4, HDCP 6: It's slightly uphill, to a blind green. Protected in the back by a bunker but otherwise pretty straightforward. Tees and pin are back, so it’s definitely playing >180. With it playing long and uphill, I pull 5i here. And I proceed to barely make contact… And that’s not hyperbole. The ball dribbles 20 yards off the front of the tee box. WTF?! Okay, walk up and pull 7i. I’m in some deep grass here. I hit this one much better, but the rough grabbed the club a bit and closed it, so it’s a low shot that chases up left of the green. I’m about center of the green here, and chip with the SW, but run it a little past the pin and have about a 15-footer coming back. I get that close enough, and drain the next putt. Ugh. Double, +7.

So much for feeling good about the par streak...

Hole 12, 118 yard par 3, HDCP 18: This is a downhill hole, protected short left by a bunker with a pretty severe back to front sloping green. Front pin and it’s playing maybe 108 today. I hit SW, and blade it… 50 yards over the green. Ouch. I’ve got a very nice lie coming back, so I try to pop up the 60 to get back to the hole, but catch that thin as well and leave it right, so it goes over the green again and ends up in the front left bunker. First attempt from the sand hits the lip and stops with a very uphill like about 6” back of the lip. From there I’ve got a short shot, and the uphill lie and the loft of the 60 will work for me, so I blast it, and it pops right up onto the green about 6’ short. Of course I can’t make that putt, but I get close and tap in the next one. Triple, +10.

Ouch. Just… Ouch.

Hole 13, 288 yard par 4, HDCP 8: Straight hole, with a bunker protecting the left side of the green and some boulders out on the right rough in the fairway, but overall pretty tame. I’m not liking my ballstriking with my long irons, so I just pull the 6i which I’ve hit well today. Play to the right side for my draw, and again double-cross myself and put it on the hill in the scrub off the right side. I luckily manage to find the ball, but I’m in mulch/groundcover and there’s a tree stump 2” in front of my ball, so I have to take an unplayable. I’m 130 from the green, so I take PW from there for my third shot after the unplayable, and hit it perfectly and it’s about 12 feet past the hole on the green. I read the putt as perfectly straight, and hit the ball right on a line… 2” right of the cup. Damn. It was straight, but I didn’t hit it. I roll about 4’ past. I see the beer cart and after these last three holes tell my buddies “let me putt this out… I need a beer.” I make that 4-footer due to the pressure of needing to get that putt in the hole before the beer cart leaves lol. Bogey,+11.

I’m in a rough stretch here. Hopefully a Sculpin will sort me out.

Hole 14, 163 yard par 3, HDCP 10: Another uphill par 3 to a blind green. Protected on the right by a bunker, and on the left by a severe slope down to the creek. Pin is center, but it’s about 170 with the tees and uphill, so I play 6i. Aim to account for the draw [left miss is bad here], and I hit a nice shot but it starts a little too far right and isn’t curving back quite enough, so I land in the bunker. I thin it out of there and it catches the lip of the bunker, kicks forward and right, and ends up on the back fringe of the green. The lip saved me from being 50 yards OB… From there I’ve got about a 35-footer for par off the fringe. I hit it 6’ or so long, and miss the come-back. Double, +13.

Hole 15, 162 yard par 3, HDCP 12: Round back-to-front sloped green, with a bunker left and pond more left. Playing just over 140 today and I’d rather be short than long so I hit PW… Which I s&$*k dead right, caroms off a tree kicking left, and rolls down the hill on the left side of the tee box into the rough. The ball traveled probably 60 yards, but ended up about 15 yards left and ahead of where I started. Now I need to hit again, and I’ve got some low-hanging branches, but I stick with PW. I hit it much better this time, but it catches some leaves which take a bit off, and it ends up rolling up into the bunker left. 2 shots again to get out of there, and two putts, and here I am again. Triple, +16.

Hole 16, 136 yard par 3, HDCP 14: Bunkers left and right, but a pretty easy back-to-front sloped round green to hit to. Tees are well back so it’s playing 155 to a center pin. I hit 8i, and hook it way left, over the creek, and onto the downslope of the 17th tee box. Not the first time I’ve played this hole from over there lol… Hit my 60, and leave myself still short of the green. Chip with the SW, and I’m on the green but ran too far past it. Three putts. Ugh. Triple, +19.

Feels like things are falling apart here. Long game, putting, short game, everything is suspect.

Hole 17, 193 yard par 3, HDCP 4: Pretty straightforward hole but long for a par 3, with a bunker behind the green but not much other trouble. Pin is center right, but tees are up, so it’s about 180 or a little longer than that. Pull my trusty 6i. I hit it flush, starting right of the pin with my typical draw, and it lands on the left half of the green and stops there. I’m about 33 feet from the hole, and hit a decent-ish lag put to about 2 feet. I make it. Par, +19.

Hole 18, 225 yard par 3, HDCP 2: Tough hole, due to length as a par 3, and that it's a long narrow green protected left and right by bunkers, and a pond more left. There's also a creek across the fairway that shouldn't be in play. Tees are on the back tee box today and it's a front pin, playing ~225. I don’t trust anything longer than a 6i today (except driver which is too much club), so I plan to lay up with the 6i. Flush it with a beautiful draw, landing right in the fairway about 40 yards short of the pin. I pitch from there to pin-high, but left of the pin, and leave myself about 12 feet for par. I miss, but get myself to tap-in range. Bogey, +20.

Stats:

Strokes from <100 yards: 56, average of 3.11

Putts: 37 (counting fringe putts on 1 and 14, but not 4 because it was a good 5’ away from the putting surface)

GIR: 6/18 (not counting #1, because although I counted that for putting stats, it wasn’t a good strike to get me there)

Birdies: 0

Pars: 7

Bogeys: 5
Doubles: 3

Triples+: 3

So 36/44, or +5 front and +15 back. Really felt my putting let me down today, and in general my short game and particularly sand play were weak. In general I was as least happy that I was recovering from my weak lag putting most of the time, but I did have three 3-putts, which is not ideal, and I left some strokes out there if I could have drained some 6-12 footers in there, and many of the opportunities were not particularly difficult or tricky putts. That stretch of terrible on the back 9 was just brutal…

Still, there was a lot of positive to take away. A streak of 5 pars in a row is always welcome. My ballstriking on the whole was pretty solid today. One of my measures for a successful round is “does this round count for my handicap?”, because that means it’s in the top 40% of my last 20 differentials, and yesterday counted for the cap. And despite that stretch of terrible on the back nine, I finished strong with par and bogey on the 4th and 2nd toughest holes on the course, and made par on 8 and 9, 3rd and 1st toughest holes on the course, respectively. +1 through that stretch of holes is pretty good.

And I managed to win enough skins (5) to just barely be ahead of breaking even. It was fun to be in a group that played well enough that par wasn’t quite often enough to win a skin. It’s a lot more fun when holes start pushing and becoming worth more too.

Now I have my iron fitting on Thursday. Probably won’t go to the range between now and then as it’s supposed to be 98 degrees tomorrow, and I don’t want to go Wednesday and have any chance of fatigue or being worn out affecting the fitting.

• Like 1

That was a very solid front 9 and 5 pars in a row is something you can build on. The driver seemed to help even if you did the typical, for me at times, dub the second shot after an awesome drive. It was good to read that a good part of your struggles weren't with your full swing. You're making progress and the pressure on your game will start to move to different areas. Improve the biggest issue and for most people the next one will become more obvious.

Any idea what happened on the back 9 to derail you? Just wondering if the solid play on the front gave you nerves or not. 

Hope the fitting goes well Thursday.

2 hours ago, bortass said:

Any idea what happened on the back 9 to derail you? Just wondering if the solid play on the front gave you nerves or not. 

Could be a few things, but I don't really think it was nerves. I was feeling pretty good, not feeling pressure. 

Simple answer: reversion to the mean. I was playing better than my typical level and while I wasn't "due" to play worse than my typical level, my play on that section wasn't next-level bad.

• The one near-miss on 11 turned a bogey into a double, but otherwise I didn't play that hole badly. My approach was just off the green, my chip was pretty average for me, and I two-putted. It would have been nice to get up and down with a chip and a one-putt, but I'm not good enough for that to be my expectation yet. It's not like that one spiraled out of control.
  • The pushed tee shot on 13 wasn't different than on 1 or 4, but I lost a stroke due to the unplayable and the hole was a par otherwise. I made great contact on the pushed tee shot, made a very good approach, and two-putted from a reasonable two-putt distance. 
  • 14 and 16 were three-putts. 14 I had a long first putt, but there's no excuse for the three-put on 16--I wasn't that far away.
  • The miss on the tee of 16 was a typical miss for me. Overcooking a club into a giant hook (even a short iron) is definitely in my bag. The rest was recovery--a tricky downhill lie made hitting the green on my second a low-probability shot for me. 
  • And on three of the holes in that 6-hole stretch I ended up in sand, an area I don't play or practice in enough. Twice it took me two shots to get out and I two-putted, and once I got out but it kicked the ball to a distance from the hole where a three-putt would not be uncommon. 
  • The blade on 12 and s$&#k on 15 were both just horrible, but I'm good for one or two of those types of mistakes a round. 

The way I look at it, it was just that instead of my mistakes and my good holes being randomly dispersed, I had 5 pars followed by 6 screwups. 

That I didn't continue off the rails on 17 and 18 suggest that I wasn't just physically or mentally gone... Or it suggests that two IPAs brought me back from the brink lol...

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Could be a few things, but I don't really think it was nerves. I was feeling pretty good, not feeling pressure. 

Simple answer: reversion to the mean. I was playing better than my typical level and while I wasn't "due" to play worse than my typical level, my play on that section wasn't next-level bad.

• The one near-miss on 11 turned a bogey into a double, but otherwise I didn't play that hole badly. My approach was just off the green, my chip was pretty average for me, and I two-putted. It would have been nice to get up and down with a chip and a one-putt, but I'm not good enough for that to be my expectation yet. It's not like that one spiraled out of control.
  • The pushed tee shot on 13 wasn't different than on 1 or 4, but I lost a stroke due to the unplayable and the hole was a par otherwise. I made great contact on the pushed tee shot, made a very good approach, and two-putted from a reasonable two-putt distance. 
  • 14 and 16 were three-putts. 14 I had a long first putt, but there's no excuse for the three-put on 16--I wasn't that far away.
  • The miss on the tee of 16 was a typical miss for me. Overcooking a club into a giant hook (even a short iron) is definitely in my bag. The rest was recovery--a tricky downhill lie made hitting the green on my second a low-probability shot for me. 
  • And on three of the holes in that 6-hole stretch I ended up in sand, an area I don't play or practice in enough. Twice it took me two shots to get out and I two-putted, and once I got out but it kicked the ball to a distance from the hole where a three-putt would not be uncommon. 
  • The blade on 12 and s$&#k on 15 were both just horrible, but I'm good for one or two of those types of mistakes a round. 

The way I look at it, it was just that instead of my mistakes and my good holes being randomly dispersed, I had 5 pars followed by 6 screwups. 

That I didn't continue off the rails on 17 and 18 suggest that I wasn't just physically or mentally gone... Or it suggests that two IPAs brought me back from the brink lol...

Makes sense, the universe corrected itself. Been there, done that many times. You've read my round recaps and it bounces all over the place, lol.

The par streak is important. It's easy to string together double bogeys and blowups. Stringing together 5 pars is not easy at our level. Also the road to improvement will be playing good for longer periods of time. 

Do you have a bunker you can practice out of? Maybe this is a stupid question but in Maine, my home course didn't have a practice bunker. I think that's an area you can improve very quickly, if you keep the goal as getting out in 1. Refinement past that will just take time and reps, some of which will happen as you just play. Of course the condition of the bunkers will make a big difference too. 

• betarhoalphadelta changed the title to Be Better, Brad! (Update 3-18-2024 with new swing videos)