2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

What kicked your Spider out of the bag?

Rantonio

I've been gaming a Spider Tour Black short slant for a few years now.  It was my first mallet and I don't think I'll go back to a blade.  I love the putter, but always have the itch for something new.  I just had my Phantom X 5.5 delivered and I don't think it's making the cut.  I had high hopes for it.  For those of you that have gamed a Spider Tour, I'm wondering what putters have beat it out?

Evnroll ER2. I had the Spider Platinum and the plumbers neck version and The ER2 feels a lot more stable. I wanted a heavier putter and went with the 370 gram head with the gravity grip. Feels like a winning combo for me. I to thought a Scotty was my next putter, as I always wanted one, but the special select in LH only comes in the newport 2 and that was too much toe hang for me as my stroke is SBST

• Like 1

Well, nothing beat it long term. But I recently got a pxg operator and it is likely to be my bride. Spider tour with a milled face...

Spider tour came out of the bag around September to an anser milled. Made more long putts with the anser because I had better speed (more speed near the hole). But I was so shaky over 7 footers or less. So I went exploring. Ordered the operator after trying the blackjack since November. 

Operator has that same spider tour stability but with a firmer face and adjustable weights 

Edited by getitdaily

2 hours ago, getitdaily said:

Well, nothing beat it long term. But I recently got a pxg operator and it is likely to be my bride. Spider tour with a milled face...

Spider tour came out of the bag around September to an anser milled. Made more long putts with the anser because I had better speed (more speed near the hole). But I was so shaky over 7 footers or less. So I went exploring. Ordered the operator after trying the blackjack since November. 

Operator has that same spider tour stability but with a firmer face and adjustable weights 

I just went the other way.  I've been using an blank Anser Milled for several years, and just got a silver Spider Tour with L neck.  I typically prefer milled face putters, but think this Spider might really help out inside 10ft.

Spider X of course...

Yes, I'm TM through and through but not liking the new EX versions at this stage (I've not held one, or seen in live as yet).

- Ian

:taylormade-small: Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
:taylormade-small: Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
:taylormade-small: My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters* (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride :taylormade-small: Pistol
:taylormade-small: My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
:taylormade-small: Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red) :taylormade-small: TP5 Golf Ball
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart / :skycaddie: SX550 GPS / :bushnell: ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

A Newport 2 for my son. He was automatic from 6 feet and in with the Spider Tour, but was complete trash from lag distances. That led to too many 3 putts.  He tried several putters for multiple rounds and is putting best with the Newport 2. 

I’ve always been streaky with my Spider Tour so I’ve decided to try a blade for a while as well. Though I opted for a cheaper 2016 Cleveland HB 1. 

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

17 minutes ago, anjoga said:

I just went the other way.  I've been using an blank Anser Milled for several years, and just got a silver Spider Tour with L neck.  I typically prefer milled face putters, but think this Spider might really help out inside 10ft.

It 100% will. But if you play on slower greens then you'll find that spider to be really soft and you'll have to give more hit than stroke to get the ball to the hole. 

6 minutes ago, anjoga said:

Oh, is the spider tour not a good all around choice for a typical public course?

Only you can judge that. Some people like the softer feel, some don't. 

There is zero doubt that it's more stable than the anser. Your putting should improve inside 10 feet. But, assuming you were a decent to good putter (under 35 putts per round) then don't be surprised if it's more difficult to make putts outside 15 feet because putts lack speed.

• Like 2

This did...and I still can’t believe it.  But the stats don’t lie.  I’m down 1.2 strokes per from the fall.  All due to this winged menace. image.jpg.d377b9eabc45109cd7453f2d4682a0f8.jpg

• Like 4

Titleist TSr2 w/ HZRDUS Smoke

Cobra BioCell+ 3W Aldila Tour Green

Cally Razr Hawk 7W Aldila Tour Green

Wilson Staff C200 w/ KBS 115’s
Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska
...all subject to “adjustment” per WRX societal norms...

5 hours ago, toddmanley said:

I ended up getting the Spider EX, but if the 2 ball ten came out with the white hot face that's on the OG's it would have been a great combo of a stable face-balanced putter and my favorite insert.

I haven’t rolled the spider ex.  I got the 2 ball before the ex was released and was kinda bummed at first I didn’t try both before deciding, as I really liked the spider tour as well as the spider x.  Once I got the two ball I felt better about my decision.  The micro hinge insert took a little while to get used to and I was wishing it had the white hot insert, but now that I’m used to something a touch firmer, it is working out really well.

8 hours ago, getitdaily said:

It 100% will. But if you play on slower greens then you'll find that spider to be really soft and you'll have to give more hit than stroke to get the ball to the hole. 

That’s one of the things I like about the spider. Softer face let’s me feel really aggressive with putts.  I suppose it is just an individual basis kind of thing.

1 hour ago, jomatty said:

That’s one of the things I like about the spider. Softer face let’s me feel really aggressive with putts.  I suppose it is just an individual basis kind of thing.

Yep. Very individual. Likely influenced by what greens one typically plays. I play a lot of public florida golf. Greens can be quite slow. If I was constantly on faster greens then it probably wouldn't be an issue.

10 hours ago, getitdaily said:

100% agree on this. I’ve played milled putters last 5/6 years and managed to get a new spider x for a great price. With the greens being slow for the start of the season I’m having to hit the ball pretty hard to get it to the hole. On faster greens it would be a great putter but I’m already considering taking mine out the bag as I’m finding it too soft.

Titleist TSR2 10 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Hzrdus smoke
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Titleist Pro V1

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

Evnroll ER2B. Rolled both the Spider Tour Black and the Spider X for years, ER2 is the way to go!

G400 Max 9* : Ventus Black 6X

Stealth+ 3W 15* Diamana ZF 70TX

TSI3 3H 20* : Atmos TS Blue 8X or '19 P790 3i : RIP Alpha 105X

'21 T100 4-PW : AMT Tour White S300

SM8 50.08F, 54.14F, SM9 58.08M : DG S300

‘22 Phantom X7 or '00 WH Rossie

Pro V1

An armlock Juno. Still love all my spiders, but armlock is where it's at for me.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

12 hours ago, getitdaily said:

Only you can judge that. Some people like the softer feel, some don't. 

There is zero doubt that it's more stable than the anser. Your putting should improve inside 10 feet. But, assuming you were a decent to good putter (under 35 putts per round) then don't be surprised if it's more difficult to make putts outside 15 feet because putts lack speed.

Orrrr you could just get better at your distance control with it? I have zero problems outside 15 feet and I mainly play on public and links courses. Their greens aren't the fastest nor are they in the best condition.

Edited by 976-Evil
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, 976-Evil said:

Orrrr you could just get better at your distance control with it? I have zero problems outside 15 feet and I mainly play on public and links courses. Their greens aren't the fastest nor are they in the best condition.

Sure. What do you suggest? Hit it harder? Longer backswing to get the ball moving faster?

Then, when as I know, more hit or longer backswing causes pulls, what do you suggest?

I danced with the spider for 2 years. Great putter, except the insert. I now have an operator. The ball comes off the face faster. The stability is exactly the same as the spider tour. 

Sometimes the equipment is the problem. For me, spider tours were just too soft. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Sure. What do you suggest? Hit it harder? Longer backswing to get the ball moving faster?

Then, when as I know, more hit or longer backswing causes pulls, what do you suggest?

I danced with the spider for 2 years. Great putter, except the insert. I now have an operator. The ball comes off the face faster. The stability is exactly the same as the spider tour. 

Sometimes the equipment is the problem. For me, spider tours were just too soft. 

So because you can't hit that putter well, you blame the putter instead of your stroke? I can't putt that well with an anser style of putter but it's not the putters fault, it's my stroke. But damn does an anser style look good.

Making such a broad spectrum and blanket statement as it's not good for slower greens or "then don't be surprised if it's more difficult to make putts outside 15 feet because putts lack speed" isn't correct because apparently it works for a lot of people, but not everyone.

But what am I talking about, this is WRX. If it doesn't work then it's obviously not me, it's the equipment. Just buy more.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Lasorcier said:

Ping Heppler Tomcat 14 with gravity grip displaced mine.  Still like the copper spider x, but for me the Tomcat is better from short and long.

I was rolling one of those at dicks the other day and it really was steady and smooth going back and through.  I’m trying to resist the urge since I’m so happy with what I currently am gaming...

I’ve tried to kick out my L neck spider tour for a year. I keep telling myself that I don’t like it but I can’t seem to find anything else that works for me as well. I had some issues with some speed but added some weight and it’s perfect now. I’ve had a ping Tyne, Bettinardi BB8W, Toulon Portland (which was close), and a couple older odyssey putters. The spider just works. 

• Like 1

I went to a Bird of Prey but I think the Spider X will forever be the back-up.  

Hate the way the BofP looks but the results are great and I’m trying to remind myself that that’s what actually matters. 

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft