Which Monte video should I get next?

calvin4w

Does he address longer wedge shots in Use The Bounce 2.0 or Wedge Complete Series?

20 handicapper here, big struggles are short game and slicing driver. I'm a bit of a streaky player, I'll have a good number of pars and bogeys (probably 5 or 6 pars, 7 or 8 bogeys, maybe a birdie if I'm lucky) and then 2 or 3 blow up holes (triple bogeys and worse) where I either drive it into the trees/hazards on the right, or get caught in a bad lie near the green and have to take 2 or 3 shots to get on the green, or both.

I used to thick every chip and take 2-3 shots to get on the green. Watched UTB a couple weeks ago and since then I'm much more confident from around the green to about 30 yards out (a lot more up and downs, no more duffing chips). However, once I have to swing faster and harder for longer pitches 50-100 yards or so, I find myself losing the rhythm and feel of Monte's chipping technique and I end up digging and hitting thick again.

Does Monte address longer wedge shots in UTB 2.0 or his Wedges Complete Series? I'll probably end up buying both, and Drive 4 Dough as well, but I have a tendency to watch too many things, and not apply or practice any of them so want to do one fix at a time. 

I'm thinking about fixing driver after pitching because I think it'll take much longer. I overswing, swing path is a little out to in, and my hip turn is more like a 'hip slide' toward my front foot. I've managed to tinker with the settings on my driver and have a few specific things to think about that most of my drives are straight-ish on the range, but a couple drives on the course will always break down and slice further than I aimed for (I always aim left too), especially when the tee box isn't flat. So far my bad drives are manageable, I can save myself with a good out from the rough, but I really can't save myself when I thick an 100 yard pitch and still have 50 more yards to go... and thick it again.

Edited by calvin4w

Ping G425 Max | Rogue White 130 MSI

Cobra f7 3, 5 woods | Diamana Kai'li

Srixon Z565 4-P | KBS Tour 90

Cleveland CBX2 50/54/58 | DG 115

Evnroll ER5v midlock

I'd start with the pitch shots. The work you do there will help the driver (and full shots generally) once you get there. 

Golf is all about making consistent solid contact. If you can figure that out with 50-100 yard pitches, then you'll be that much further along when it comes to developing it in the full swing. 

Just my humble opinion. Monte is magic with chipping though, eh?

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

1 minute ago, Krt22 said:

What do you already have? 

Just the free use the bounce one so far. Wondering if people who have seen both have insight on which would be more helpful for pitching, UTB 2.0 or Wedges complete

Evnroll ER5v midlock

30 minutes ago, calvin4w said:

Just the free use the bounce one so far. Wondering if people who have seen both have insight on which would be more helpful for pitching, UTB 2.0 or Wedges complete

His free setup video, the efficient swing series, and UTB 2.0.  Realistically if you have having issues with 100 yrd shots, you likely have some core flaws that will effect all aspects of your game. UTB can be used with a longer club from ~50 yards, but beyond that it's much more a full swing than anything else.

23 hours ago, calvin4w said:

Does he address longer wedge shots in Use The Bounce 2.0 or Wedge Complete Series?

20 handicapper here, big struggles are short game and slicing driver. I'm a bit of a streaky player, I'll have a good number of pars and bogeys (probably 5 or 6 pars, 7 or 8 bogeys, maybe a birdie if I'm lucky) and then 2 or 3 blow up holes (triple bogeys and worse) where I either drive it into the trees/hazards on the right, or get caught in a bad lie near the green and have to take 2 or 3 shots to get on the green, or both.

I used to thick every chip and take 2-3 shots to get on the green. Watched UTB a couple weeks ago and since then I'm much more confident from around the green to about 30 yards out (a lot more up and downs, no more duffing chips). However, once I have to swing faster and harder for longer pitches 50-100 yards or so, I find myself losing the rhythm and feel of Monte's chipping technique and I end up digging and hitting thick again.

Does Monte address longer wedge shots in UTB 2.0 or his Wedges Complete Series? I'll probably end up buying both, and Drive 4 Dough as well, but I have a tendency to watch too many things, and not apply or practice any of them so want to do one fix at a time. 

I'm thinking about fixing driver after pitching because I think it'll take much longer. I overswing, swing path is a little out to in, and my hip turn is more like a 'hip slide' toward my front foot. I've managed to tinker with the settings on my driver and have a few specific things to think about that most of my drives are straight-ish on the range, but a couple drives on the course will always break down and slice further than I aimed for (I always aim left too), especially when the tee box isn't flat. So far my bad drives are manageable, I can save myself with a good out from the rough, but I really can't save myself when I thick an 100 yard pitch and still have 50 more yards to go... and thick it again.

Monte has said that the new No Turn Cast videos are his version of a full swing primer.  So, I would view his free setup fundamentals videos, then buy NTC.  Between the original UTB, the fundamentals, and NTC, you'll have a great foundation.

Most helpful.   Take a half hour online live via FaceTime or zoom.   Talk to monte then about what videos would work as a good reference.     Better yet would be to see him in person.   see you list California as location - the investment in person or online live would be much better than further videos.  Issue with video is most people do not execute what is in the videos correctly -  seeing monte, he would get you into a good setup and get you thru a backswing - actually experiencing these then allow videos (lesson and purchased) to be used as references to continue building on the lesson etc.    the big issue is always “am I doing it well” and having never done it well one can not draw on what a good, for you, setup, backswing, etc.  feedback is critical to developing a good motion and none better than seeing an excellent teacher.

Edited by glk

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

If I've purchased No-Turn Cast, do I still need Efficient Swing?

Driver: Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5* Riptide Regular
Wood: Adams Tight Lies 4w 16* Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Tight Lies 2 4h 22* Stiff
Irons: Sub70 699u 5i/6i, 699 7-PW
Wedges: Callaway MD2 52* Tour Grind, Callaway MD2 58* Tour Grind
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Labs #10

11 hours ago, RyKnocks said:

If I've purchased No-Turn Cast, do I still need Efficient Swing?

I have both and prefer the feels given in Efficient Swing. It's also a bit more in depth in describing certain positions in the swing and gives multiple options to try and feel the correct movement. Best of the bunch IMO.

• Like 1

Got in on the ground floor and have access to all of Monte's vids and since I can't play right now have spent a lot of time reviewing.  Always good stuff!

I second doing a remote lesson (best) or sending Monte a vid for a lesson and getting his insights before self-teaching with videos.

Now, he may be too shy believe it or not to suggest you buy his videos, but if you ask him after he has a chance to check things out I'll bet he'll give you a suggestion.

BTW, the complete wedge series does address longer wedge shots in a segment about transitioning to them, but IMO that series is a more a wealth of info about wedges including technical info that will broaden your understanding.

His videos are dynamic in the sense that his focus and ideas have changed over time as he works out things and learns more, so I'd lean to more recent in that respect for fundamentals, explanations.  

His more recent stuff getting into an understanding of how the wrists work and pressure shifting in transition is gold, Jerry.

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, naval2006 said:

Don't forget Drive for Dough.  The foundations of a solid classic swing.  It's a vid to watch and enjoy.  Especially how Monte dissects the swing and, well, the beauty of his swing when demonstrating.  

I have D4D, but it’s somewhere in the archives of my external hard drives. It was purchased before Monte had a streaming service. I gotta dig it up. 

Driver: Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5* Riptide Regular
Wood: Adams Tight Lies 4w 16* Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Tight Lies 2 4h 22* Stiff
Irons: Sub70 699u 5i/6i, 699 7-PW
Wedges: Callaway MD2 52* Tour Grind, Callaway MD2 58* Tour Grind
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Labs #10

On 4/7/2021 at 5:57 AM, naval2006 said:

Don't forget Drive for Dough.  The foundations of a solid classic swing.  It's a vid to watch and enjoy.  Especially how Monte dissects the swing and, well, the beauty of his swing when demonstrating.  

Drive 4 Dough is next on my list!

Update: Bought the Complete wedge series 2 weeks ago and just shot my best round today (+14) and had 3-4 of those dreaded 80-110 yard full wedge shots. One fell just short of the green (where I used the bounce to get up and down) but the others were all much better, no more duffs, one ended up being birdie, the other was a 2 putt par. 

My driving is still very suspect,Started the day with huge banana peel slices but on the back 9 I straightened some out to baby fades. Too bad I was still aiming way left so lost a couple balls OB (had to take two drops from lost balls). Hopefully Drive 4 Dough will help and I'll be on my way to breaking 85!

Edited by calvin4w

Evnroll ER5v midlock

8 hours ago, calvin4w said:

Drive 4 Dough is next on my list!

Update: Bought the Complete wedge series 2 weeks ago and just shot my best round today (+14) and had 3-4 of those dreaded 80-110 yard full wedge shots. One fell just short of the green (where I used the bounce to get up and down) but the others were all much better, no more duffs, one ended up being birdie, the other was a 2 putt par. 

My driving is still very suspect,Started the day with huge banana peel slices but on the back 9 I straightened some out to baby fades. Too bad I was still aiming way left so lost a couple balls OB (had to take two drops from lost balls). Hopefully Drive 4 Dough will help and I'll be on my way to breaking 85!

It will take time. Don't expect miracles. 

• Like 1