What's the worst cost/value in golf?

4 hours ago, Bogeygolf2 said:

regarding scotties, etc. I believe that the more you spend on a putter directly correlates to how you think it will perform, which means it will likely do as you think it will! So spend up!

My putter was $6 and does amazing. To me the putter is by far the simplest club in the bag that needs no technology.

But if you like pretty things, putters are perfect for you. 🤣

• Like 1

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged 2-M cavity back 4-6 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

$50/dozen golf balls.

Fancy putter headcovers that cost $350.  I get it, people have money to blow, but you’re going to lose it on hole 11 and some dude is going to use it for himself.  

Scotty Cameron putters, or any "boutique" putters really. 

Posted Images

4 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

It's hard to evaluate stuff like this, because much cheaper clothing exists , even new clothes

So, my counter would just be that it's hard to get a new hybrid for a reasonable price...but it's easy enough to get clothes for a reasonable price

I’d also counter with golf clothes can be worn in a lot of scenarios outside of golf.

1 hour ago, lefthack said:

My putter was $6 and does amazing. To me the putter is by far the simplest club in the bag that needs no technology.

But if you like pretty things, putters are perfect for you. 🤣

My putter was free (lost and found find years ago) and it does great work as well. 

Of course, it is a Scotty, but the thing has to be pushing 20-25 years old by now and I can’t imagine using anything else. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, back2golf said:

My putter was free (lost and found find years ago) and it does great work as well. 

Of course, it is a Scotty, but the thing has to be pushing 20-25 years old by now and I can’t imagine using anything else. 

Mine had the brand name misspelled in the ebay ad, so I had to buy it. "Tour Percision" 

• Like 1

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged 2-M cavity back 4-6 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

The ball has to be up there for allot of golfers on a per round basis. I wear out balls before I lose them typically, and I am $5usd a round for a ball was her then the per round cost of any club. 

When I buy Hybrid I play it for 500+ rounds so about $.50 around.

Per shot my putter is best value, I have had for 1500+ rounds. It was $300 so about $.20 a round so far but might get .10.

Per shot basis my three wood would be my most expensive club. Some rounds it does not come out at all. Hybrid sees about 4x as much action so the are not even close. 

9 hours ago, CW13 said:

I still say a driver is the worst value. $500+ for one club is a horrible value. When you look at used drivers years old is maybe 10-15yards worth $400 extra dollars. No way. 

Sold! I would pay $400 right now for a 15 yard longer driver with no hesitation. If only it was that easy. 

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

After using Kirkland Gloves for a year, it's hard to imagine paying 20+ dollars for a single tour cabretta glove, when you can get 3 cabretta gloves for $15 at Costco. Sure the logo is kind of lame, but as many crusty gloves I get throughout a summer it's a fair tradeoff. I bust out fresh ones without hesitation now. 

Edited by cleverprimate24
8 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

I have thought about this a lot....And mathematically, i feel like there is no dispute that the Hybrid has become the worst cost/value item in golf. I thought about this the other day because i never want to actually buy hybrids and i think i know why...They just cost too much for what they do

My arguments:

-Hybrids cost almost as much as fairway woods now. In most cases they are roughly 85% of the cost of a fairway wood and 2 to 2.5X the cost of an iron. 

-An individual hybrid technically replaces an individual iron, you will maybe use it what? 2-3 times a round at most

-A hybrid basically has 1/3rd the effective value of an iron in that sense in terms of cost/benefit

-Most will likely use a fairway wood (also a low value investment from a usage perspective) more than a hybrid as it's more flexible, can be used off the tee etc. Not by a lot, but probably more. Don't get me wrong fairway woods are bad, they are just better

-Drivers, putters are expensive but you use them a lot more

-Irons individually all deliver more value per shot than hybrids in terms of cost. 

I think the only thing comparable, might be the wedge that ISN'T your primary chipping wedge. (For me that's my 56). As wedges have creeped up in price...however they are still 50% of the cost of a hybrid, so you only need to use them 51% as much to get more value and that is only a couple of times a round

The Hybrid is just a bad deal with what they cost now

Prove me wrong gentlemen

You won't catch me purchasing full priced hybrids, but I recently got 2 Demo Ping G410 hybrids (3&4) for $150 each and they're worth every penny. 

This is interesting and having me question my bag. 

Putter: Bettinardi. $350. Used 18-19 times a round. Kidding, but my putting average went way down with it. So it's a value to me. 

Wedges: I bought my last 2 from DTC companies, sub70 and Haywood and feel the $125 per is a good price as I use them a lot. I can miss a green like a champ, and that's important info for my final choice of a wasted club. My 3rd wedge I got from the LostandFound golf shop, so free. 

Hybrid: $125 years ago. Ping G20. We call it The Murderer.  It's not much longer than my 4 iron, and not much shorter than my 3 wood. But, some how the way I hit it produces a long low running shot. It stays low and cuts thru the wind. 205 into the wind? I'm hitting The Murderer. 160 out and need to stay low under a branch? I'm hitting choaked down Murderer. Missed a fairway and just need to advance the ball as far as possible out of cabbage? I'm hitting the Murderer. Ball in the woods and need to put it back onto short grass? I'm punching the Murderer. 

Balls: I play cheap balls. But I stay consistent with them. I did Noodles for years, bouncing around with long or Long and soft, or my favorite... I'll be playing with a Soft Noodle today. Switched it to Vice for a while, tried long and Pro. I really keep going back to Maxfli Softfli and haven't been disappointed. So @ $22 a box, I'm not mad. 

The biggest value crusher in my bag... 

My Rocketballs Generation One 3 Wood. I literally use this club for putting more than anything else. Remember when I said I can miss a green like a pro? Some times it's 10 yard short of the green in the fairway with a back pin. Yes, I will putt with my 3 wood. Spent $225 on it new in 2012.  

fulbag3.jpg

Edited by 4x4GGG
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, farmer said:

As an old guy, my hybrids now go through the 7.  Not a lot of speed, I want the ball in the air, need a little help, for me a game saver. YMMV.

Agree 100%

Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

TM RBZ Black 12°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 16°/22°

TM Jetspeed 25°

TM Speedblades 6-AW

Cleveland CBX 56°

Rossa Tourismo 3 counterbalanced 37"

Lots of interesting comments on this thread.  I'm in full agreement that $50/doz. (or more) balls are a waste for amateurs.  They're only slightly less of a waste than a boutique putter.  My two most useful putters cost me a new Pingman grip for one and $42 for the other.

Someone else mentioned irons and I think that they're on to something there.  What do you have to gain from a new set of irons if the current ones are consistent?  You're trying to hit set yardages after all.  Until you need a shaft change I don't really see the point. 

I'll give drivers their due because the right one is worth its weight in gold.  Same for hybrids, contrary to what the OP is suggesting.  I don't carry consecutive hybrids because as an older guy every other one creates reasonable gaps, but the one I pull the most frequently, I use a lot!

That leaves me with fairway woods and wedges.  Give me one fairway wood I can hit off the deck consistently and that's all I need.  With wedges, less is more.  I hit a lot of bump and runs using short irons so I don't have much call for a complex wedge set-up.

Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

TM RBZ Black 12°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 16°/22°

TM Jetspeed 25°

TM Speedblades 6-AW

Cleveland CBX 56°

Rossa Tourismo 3 counterbalanced 37"

29 minutes ago, Stinger83 said:

Circle T putter - without question the most overpriced thing in the entire game of golf. 

I was gonna say a GSS Scotty for like $10k, but those and Circle T retain their value lmao. f****** insane how people drop that much on a putter.

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 10.5° - Diamana TB 6X

Ping G410 17.5° - Atmos TS Red 7S

Srixon Z 785 3-6 - PX LZ 6.0

Srixon Z-Forged 7-PW - PX LZ 6.0

Cleveland RTX 4 50° Mid, 54° Mid, 60° Low - S400 TI

Gamer Putters Son of a GOAT - 326g, 34"

Bridgestone Tour B X

13 hours ago, BigVolGolfFan said:

Fancy putter headcovers that cost $350.  I get it, people have money to blow, but you’re going to lose it on hole 11 and some dude is going to use it for himself.  

YES!!!!!  Im in my early 50'sand just came back into the game after a lengthy absence mostly due to long work hours and travel.  But just about pi$$ed myself  when I saw those.  I'm far from rich, but think i may be ok to retire a bit early, but seeing those accessories makes my posterior pucker and frankly  in the back of my mind can my father who was born during the great drepression shreiking from his grave. 

While I dont want to spend it, a 350.00 hybrid  sounds like a steal compared to a 350.00 putter cover. 

14 hours ago, GHIN n Juice said:

For the average golfer the answer is the 3 wood.  Most golfers only hit a 3 wood once per par 5, so 3 or 4 times per 18 holes.  At $350-$400 a pop that’s a horrible return on investment.

I've got to say that return-on-investment is  not something I think about when buying clubs or playing golf.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Guy In Lyon said:

I've got to say that return-on-investment is  not something I think about when buying clubs or playing golf.

So why did you read and post in the thread?

• Like 1

Driver: :taylormade-small: Sim2 MAX 9*

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Sim Max 15*

Hybrid:     :ping-small: G 19*

Hybrid Irons: :adams-small:  Pro DHY 21 & 24*

Irons:       :ping-small: i500 6-PW

Gap Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 3 50*

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe Raw 54 & 58*

Putter:  :odyssey-small:  O-Works 7

So when i started the thread i intended it to be more about an overall thing, not a brand specific thing

So yes, 50$ golf balls versus 20$ golf balls...you could argue for many that the 50$ balls are a poor investment. But the fact is that there are still MANY golf balls available (new) at 20$. 

My point with Hybrids was that there are not many new options out there that are less costly. They are mostly ALL expensive for what they do.

(discounting used of course, talking new clubs)

• Like 2

Cobra RadSpeed XB 9 w/PX Hzrdus RDX Smoke Black 80
Cobra F9 Tour 13.5 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 70
Titleist TS3 hybrid 20 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 80
Cobra King Forged TEC 4-GW w/Nippon Modus 130

Cobra King MIM Black 56 and 60 wedges w/ Modus 130

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

I disagree, and here is my reasoning based on my own experience.

I use my 3 hybrid on two par 4 tees, occasionally on one of the par 3s when the tee is back (usually plays around 205 into the wind) and usually on 2 of the 4 par 5s on my second.  That's 4 - 5 strokes per round.  That doesn't take into account the occasional mishit tee shot on a par 4 that leaves me 190+ out of the rough.

Beyond that, I want my hybrid to do three things:  launch high, carry within a specific distance range, and not go left.  I found a hybrid that does that for me and, as a result, I haven't replaced it in 12 years.  In fact, it's the longest tenured club in my bag.

My pick goes to 3w.  It's the most difficult club in the bag to hit off the deck, most mid-high handicaps don't have the speed to launch it properly, and for some of us it only serves as a replacement driver when it's on a timeout.

Edited by forrester_fire
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

It's hard to evaluate stuff like this, because much cheaper clothing exists , even new clothes

So, my counter would just be that it's hard to get a new hybrid for a reasonable price...but it's easy enough to get clothes for a reasonable price

Just as easy to find inexpensive knockoff hybrids and so called clones. 

35 minutes ago, forrester_fire said:

I disagree, and here is my reasoning based on my own experience.

I use my 3 hybrid on two par 4 tees, occasionally on one of the par 3s when the tee is back (usually plays around 205 into the wind) and usually on 2 of the 4 par 5s on my second.  That's 4 - 5 strokes per round.  That doesn't take into account the occasional mishit tee shot on a par 4 that leaves me 190+ out of the rough.

Beyond that, I want my hybrid to do three things:  launch high, carry within a specific distance range, and not go left.  I found a hybrid that does that for me and, as a result, I haven't replaced it in 12 years.  In fact, it's the longest tenured club in my bag.

My pick goes to 3w.  It's the most difficult club in the bag to hit off the deck, most mid-high handicaps don't have the speed to launch it properly, and for some of us it only serves as a replacement driver when it's on a timeout.

I carried the original Adams IDEA Pro from 2008 to 2016 at 18*

Callaway Apex hybrid 2016-2020 18* which kicked the Adams out of the bag. 

Now with different set up and gapping, I sold the 2016 Apex and opted for a 4 wood, but now needed a weaker one that’s  flight is more like an iron, so I bought a couple of new Adams super 9031 Proto heads that are from 2014-15? they won’t leave the bag for years! 

My Ping Pal 2 putter has been in the bag since 92’ with a few short replacements that never stuck! 

If you find yourself with a shot where you think the hybrid is the best option, what other club would you choose and what would the average chance of success be with that club? 

There's a stat in baseball called WAR (Wins Above Replacement).  Applied to golf, I'd ask myself how valuable is the hybrid to my score?  Spend accordingly.

Interesting thread. I'd probably say 3W, based on the fact people never use it, or the fact they hit it terrible half a dozen times on the course and from them on it's only purpose going forward is to look pretty in the bag. I totally get @MtlJeff's point about hybrids though . . . same could probably be said for long irons? I got rid of my 4 iron*  and I've played a handful of times since then and not once have I had a shot where I felt like "man really need the 4i" here. I'm guessing that's the case for plenty of people playing hybrids.

*thinking my new 5 iron would go farther, really can't tell yet because of winter and I'm still playing to my old yardages

Driver:  (9) Taylormade SIM PX HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5

3-Wood: (13) Taylormade V-Steel T/S GS YS-6S

5-Wood: (18) Taylormade V-Steel GD Purple Ice 85X

Hybrid: (21) Callaway RAZR Tour 3 TTDG X100

Irons: (5-W) PXG 0311T GEN 1  Nippon Super Peening Blue X (Soft stepped once)
Gap Wedge: (50-12) PXG 0311 Forged GEN 1 TTDG TI S400

Sand Wedge: (54-12 Full) Cleveland RTX Zip Core Nippon Modus3 125 Wedge (Soft stepped once)

Lob Wedge: (58-04 K) Vokey Cold Forged TTDG S200 
Putter: PING i-Series 1/2 CRAZ-E L 48" 

Ball: TP5X, ProV1X, Vice Pro +, et al 

16 hours ago, me05501 said:

Scotty Cameron putters, or any "boutique" putters really. 

yea but they actually keep their value so it's not the worst, actually might be the best because of the value kept. The worst is wedges, they are getting super expensive, Titleist sm8 is $160 now. Wedges actually wear out much faster than any other club you use and need to be replaced, your new wedge by the end of the season won't be producing near as much spin and control. It's almost a good idea to replace them each season, some pro's replace them every tournament! Hybrids, 3 woods will last for years without degregated performance.