New Edel wedges

getair23

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The Edel wedges look absolutely incredible. I'm still having a hard time figuring out the grinds though. Any idea how these translate (generally speaking) to the Vokey grinds? 

Titleist TSR3 1w Ventus Red x

Titleist TSR2 3w 5w GD AD DIx

Titleist TSR2 4h 5h GD AD Dix

Titleist T100 6i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

• 1 month later...
On 11/17/2021 at 10:27 PM, uglande said:

The Edel wedges look absolutely incredible. I'm still having a hard time figuring out the grinds though. Any idea how these translate (generally speaking) to the Vokey grinds? 

C and T are player/shotmaker grinds. V is like a standard grind for full shot wedges, D grind is for the guy who takes beaver pelts for divots and or plays in very soft conditions.

C is a little wider sole and more heel relief, also great out of bunkers and rough.

T all around superstar, love this grind, great from everywhere and for guys who like to mix it up with shots

V Unless your steep I would recommend in 48-54* full shot type wedges.  Great performing wedge grind

D Digger grind, soft conditions or steep swings love this grind to prevent the dreaded fat shot.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

These are on my radar.  A lot of nice options.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylormade Stealth 2 15* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Callaway Apex UW 19* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Titleist T200 4i - Axiom 105X

Titleist T100 5-PW KBS Tour 130X
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 50/56/60 - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour Rat Newport

1 hour ago, Judge440 said:

These are on my radar.  A lot of nice options.

I did a review on my wedges in my WITB thread if you are interested in hearing more thoughts.  

• Like 1

Edel PROTO

On 1/17/2022 at 9:21 PM, roverdog99 said:

I’m use to seeking out the highest bounce wedges for my game.  Which grind would offer the highest bounce?

D grind is your stick 👍

Edel PROTO

I just ordered a 58* V grind. I was torn between V grind and T grind. I heard the team at Edel is very approachable. I called and they helped me to narrow down my choice. I was on the phone for a solid 20 minutes not once did I feel rushed they treated me like I was the only customer in the world. Very helpful very thorough. I can't say enough about my experience. They told be 7-10 days.

• Like 1

WITB
 Ping G425 Oban Kiyoshi White 65 stiff
Titleist TSR2+  Oban Kiyoshi White 65 stiff
Titleist TS3  18* set to C1 Oban Kiyoshi White 65 stiff
Callaway UW 21* Oban Kiyoshi white 75 stiff
Ping I210 5-UW Veylix arcane copper mod 1010
Edel SMS V grind  54* Accra SP Wedge 
Edel SMS V grind 58* Accra Hybrex Wedge
SiK DW 2.0 slant neck LA Golf Soho Green or Argolf Merlin Accra FX200 shaft
Titleist ProV1 Yellow

12 hours ago, VA golfer said:

I just ordered a 58* V grind. I was torn between V grind and T grind. I heard the team at Edel is very approachable. I called and they helped me to narrow down my choice. I was on the phone for a solid 20 minutes not once did I feel rushed they treated me like I was the only customer in the world. Very helpful very thorough. I can't say enough about my experience. They told be 7-10 days.

You'll love the V grind.. Ive got it on my 54* and 58*.  Best wedges Ive ever played.. 

TM Mini 300 11.5 Ventus TR Blue 6

Rogue ST LS 3HL Ventus Blue 7

Epic Super Hybrid 20* Ventus HB 8

Srixon ZX MKII Utility 23* Recoil Dart 90

Srixon ZX5 5-6 Steelfiber i95

Srixon ZX7 7-AW Steelfiber i95

Edel SMS 56* V Grind Steelfiber i95

Vokey SM8 60* M grind Steelfiber i95
LAB Mezz 

I'm sure I will buy the 54 after I try the 58.

WITB
Titleist ProV1 Yellow

On 1/19/2022 at 8:14 PM, VA golfer said:

. I called and they helped me to narrow down my choice. I was on the phone for a solid 20 minutes not once did I feel rushed they treated me like I was the only customer in the world. Very helpful very thorough. I can't say enough about my experience. They told be 7-10 days.

Echo the same. Called this week to ask a few questions and they spent the time needed. I am a sweeper through and through so trying the C grind in a 54* untested to see how it goes and come back later for a 58*

All components needed in stock and will ship in 5-7 days.

Edited by evets10000
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, evets10000 said:

Echo the same. Called this week to ask a few questions and they spent the time needed. I am a sweeper through and through so trying the C grind in a 54* untested to see how it goes and come back later for a 58*

All components needed in stock and will ship in 5-7 days.

Will be interested to hear your thoughts as I am a sweeper/picker myself 

Well, don’t know what to say. Got my new T grind today and did a little test at the range. It’s kind of shocking. These are all with my stock 3/4 swing with a 54, 105 yards to pin. First of all, beautiful club. Even as you change the weights, you see the premium finish and look in the ports. 

Weight in middle — Hit some pretty good shots, center contact, ball kept coming in right of the flag, like 8-10 feet. Felt fine. Could play it set up like this. I thought, “Well, must be in the 20 percent.”

Weight in toe — Hit one decent shot followed by a clunker followed by a shot off the bottom that sounded like a ball being dropped into a drawer of silverware. The toe weight felt massive through impact. I hated it. Short audition. 

Weight in heel — Hit the first shot and it almost hit the flag. Hit four more that were straight at it. All looked the same. Thought I must have just gotten on a roll. So I put the wedge away and practiced other clubs. Came back to the wedge toward the end and hit 3 more. All looked the same, right at the flag. Hit some short pitches. Nice contact, controlled shots. The grind is fun. It was a wow moment. 

I have no idea what this says about my setup or swing, I’m sure someone can tell me, but I am leaving the heavy weight in the heel. And if this keeps up on the golf course, that would be amazing and also will mean I’m getting a gap wedge in the V grind. 

• Like 3

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

My 52* c-grind arrived this afternoon!  Taking half and 3/4 shots in the house with whiffle balls off a chipping mat was a lot of fun.  I’ll echo the comment above regarding fit and finish.  I also moved the weight to the heel.  I hope to get to the range this weekend to put it through more comprehensive testing.  

Also, the Paderson shaft is really well built.  It goes without saying that it’s a very different wedge than my 56* Cleveland CBX Full Face (SteelFiber i110CW), but I take full swings with my 52* wedge so I find it hard to make a apples to apples comparison (and it’s way to early to do so).  I could see myself getting an Edel 56* wedge at some point, but again, way too early to know now.  

Driver:  Ping 425Max (Aldila Synergy)

3W&5W:  Mizuno ST-Z (Aldila Synergy)

7W Taylor Made Stealth (Aldila Ascent)

4H:  Taylor Made Sim2 Max (Accra FX)

5-GW:  Taylor Made Sim2 Max (SteelFiber i110)

52* Edel SMS C-Grind (Paderson Wedge Flex)

56*W Cleveland CBX (SteelFiber i110CW)

Bettinardi QB10

1 hour ago, dmeeksDC said:

Well, don’t know what to say. Got my new T grind today and did a little test at the range. It’s kind of shocking. These are all with my stock 3/4 swing with a 54, 105 yards to pin. First of all, beautiful club. Even as you change the weights, you see the premium finish and look in the ports. 

Weight in middle — Hit some pretty good shots, center contact, ball kept coming in right of the flag, like 8-10 feet. Felt fine. Could play it set up like this. I thought, “Well, must be in the 20 percent.”

Weight in toe — Hit one decent shot followed by a clunker followed by a shot off the bottom that sounded like a ball being dropped into a drawer of silverware. The toe weight felt massive through impact. I hated it. Short audition. 

Weight in heel — Hit the first shot and it almost hit the flag. Hit four more that were straight at it. All looked the same. Thought I must have just gotten on a roll. So I put the wedge away and practiced other clubs. Came back to the wedge toward the end and hit 3 more. All looked the same, right at the flag. Hit some short pitches. Nice contact, controlled shots. The grind is fun. It was a wow moment. 

I have no idea what this says about my setup or swing, I’m sure someone can tell me, but I am leaving the heavy weight in the heel. And if this keeps up on the golf course, that would be amazing and also will mean I’m getting a gap wedge in the V grind. 

What you've found is your optimal weight position.  In our testing only 26% of players get optimal numbers with the weight in the middle, so what does that tell you about most wedge designs that have remained unchanged for decades.  Glad you are enjoying the wedges my friend and T grind is my favorite as well 😎

Edel PROTO

Got my shipping notice due to arrive Thursday hopefully i can get it out for some testing but of course they are calling for snow friday.

So might just be basement chipping for now. Thanks again to Malachai at Edel for taking the time on the phone to help me get the right grind.

• Like 1

WITB
Titleist ProV1 Yellow

@J13, crazy question...can the SMS wedge be built as a SL Wedge?  I know the wedges are heavier than the standard SL head, but man, I REALLY love my SLS01 Gap Wedge.  My current SLS01 Irons are 37" long, which would be what, 1.5" over a 'Standard' wedge length?

13 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Did you only order 54? Any plans to add a 58 or 60? 

4 minutes ago, endy said:

Did you only order 54? Any plans to add a 58 or 60? 

Only ordered the 54. Had no idea how these would work. I have a CBX2 58 that works well so will leave it for now. I would like to try this 54 Edel wedge in play and if that goes well will add a 50 gap wedge in V grind.

Taking it out today to a real nice practice area and see how the T grind does out of various lies. The one session was impressive. Will seek to confirm. I will say if you know what grind you like (the T and C were the two I considered for sand wedge) self-fitting the right weight placement is easy. You know right away. I definitely could play it with the weight in the center. But it was better in the heel, clearly. I’ll update.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

Only ordered the 54. Had no idea how these would work. I have a CBX2 58 that works well so will leave it for now. I would like to try this 54 Edel wedge in play and if that goes well will add a 50 gap wedge in V grind.

Taking it out today to a real nice practice area and see how the T grind does out of various lies. The one session was impressive. Will seek to confirm. I will say if you know what grind you like (the T and C were the two I considered for sand wedge) self-fitting the right weight placement is easy. You know right away. I definitely could play it with the weight in the center. But it was better in the heel, clearly. I’ll update.

Thanks for your insight! I am contemplating picking some up myself, there is a local guy selling a 54T and 60C that seem like they would be perfect for me, but wrong shafts in them haha. Similar to you, if those ended up working out for me, I would then likely be looking at a 50V to add

2 hours ago, OsnolaKinnard said:

@J13, crazy question...can the SMS wedge be built as a SL Wedge?  I know the wedges are heavier than the standard SL head, but man, I REALLY love my SLS01 Gap Wedge.  My current SLS01 Irons are 37" long, which would be what, 1.5" over a 'Standard' wedge length?

Not a crazy question at all and we get asked quite often.  SMS wedge cannot be incorporated into a tradition single length set.  But we do plenty of builds where the wedges are all the same length as the PW.  

Edel PROTO

13 minutes ago, J13 said:

Not a crazy question at all and we get asked quite often.  SMS wedge cannot be incorporated into a tradition single length set.  But we do plenty of builds where the wedges are all the same length as the PW.  

I will just look at my current wedge fitting, +1" and 2* upright and go from there...I am sure Malachi will get me all sorted out.  Really looking forward to the process.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, J13 said:

Would you be able to do a custom build with a X100 8 iron shaft?  Would save me the step of having to tear down and rebuild.

1 hour ago, evets10000 said:

Ordered middle of last week and shipped yesterday - good to see a manufacturer with quick lead times this day and age

Yeah, forgot to mention mine got here quickly. I was surprised. 

Enjoy it. I had another great session with the 54 T. It is up for any shot. Basically can hit it full or open it up as much as you want or do the upright toe chip with it. It doesn’t require a lot of work. The spin is excellent.

Tried the weight in the center again and hit some good shots. Back in the heel and the contact immediately was crisper. Lower shots with more zip. High ones are easy. I do think players will find more than one setting can work, but one will get better results. 

• Like 1

I am considering pulling the trigger on a 48 and 52 T grind. Anyone have any comparisons to Vokey. I’ve only played vokeys but these edels look so good. And optimizing the movable weight sounds intriguing 

Titleist TSR4 10* Ventus Red 6TX

Titleist TSR2 16.5* Ventus Red 8TX

Titleist TSR2 21* Ventus Red 9TX

Titleist 620CB 4iron Accra TZ5 105 M5

Miura MB101 5-P DG TI X100 onyx

Vokey SM9 RAW 52*F/56*M/60*T DG TI X100 (8iron)

Scotty Cameron T22 NP2 LAGP P-135