MLB 2021 season

RobotDoctor

Opening day!

Go Cubs Go!!!

• Like 3

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

3 hours ago, TiScape said:

It’s become pretty obvious members here couldn’t care less about MLB 😂 Or March Madness for that matter. Haha. A good indicator should have when I asked what other sports members here enjoyed watching and a few ppl said “Battle Bots” 🤣

Unfortunately this appears to be true.  

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

I played baseball growing up, loved it. My Dad would take me to 50+ Red Sox games a year, loved every minute of that. Watched games all summer long or listened on the radio, would be an honest estimate that I never missed more than 4-5 Sox games a year plus always watched Braves on TBS and Yankees on PIX. I watched two games two years ago and two at bats last year. It is not the same game we grew up with. My $ .02 is that the analytics are destroying the game as it isn’t enjoyable to watch for me. This could be a Red Sox thing as I really don’t care for the ownership group or who they choose to run/build the team. Add to that the cost to go to a game, the time commitment to watch a single game, plus first pitch creeps later and later every year. I’m out, don’t miss it, and have no inclination to return.

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

46 minutes ago, MikeW2 said:

I played baseball growing up, loved it. My Dad would take me to 50+ Red Sox games a year, loved every minute of that. Watched games all summer long or listened on the radio, would be an honest estimate that I never missed more than 4-5 Sox games a year plus always watched Braves on TBS and Yankees on PIX. I watched two games two years ago and two at bats last year. It is not the same game we grew up with. My $ .02 is that the analytics are destroying the game as it isn’t enjoyable to watch for me. This could be a Red Sox thing as I really don’t care for the ownership group or who they choose to run/build the team. Add to that the cost to go to a game, the time commitment to watch a single game, plus first pitch creeps later and later every year. I’m out, don’t miss it, and have no inclination to return.

Interesting. What do you think has changed so much due to analytics that has made it unwatchable for you? As for cost. I could drive to an A’s game (pre-Covid) walk up to the box office and sit 25 rows from the field for $39. Great value IMO. Obviously you can’t get that because of Fenway.

Edited by TiScape

Starters that only go 5 innings, watching a guy that’s hitting.225 pinch hit for a guy that’s a .300 hitter because the numbers say he’s good against pitchers that are throwing between their 20th and 30th pitches and have a certain spin rates only to watch him hit a weak topper to 2nd, seeing a guy start in front of somebody on a certain day despite the fact that normal guy has hit in 7 straight games and sub is hitting ONE EIGHTY SEVEN for the year but had three hits off the opposing pitcher 4 years ago, pulling pitchers throwing no hitters because he’s already thrown 82 pitches, watching guys that strike out 200 times a season become the norm because he’s got great exit velocity and an ideal launch angle, purposely starting relievers to pitch the first inning, signing guys to $10 million dollar contracts because they have great arm slotting with tremendous spin rate only to wind up with an ERA over SEVEN for the year but he keeps taking his turn in rotation, the slow down between pitches because the IT guy has to cross check the numbers/situation, relay that down the tunnel to the manager who then has to send in the sign to the catcher so he can call the next pitch. Dear God I could keep going...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping Tour 60* wedge

UGH...I just noticed your avatar is an Oakland A’s logo, your Billy Beane and guys like Bill James are what started this trend🤬

Despite your loyalties to the A’s, I don’t hold you personally responsible 😂

Ping Tour 60* wedge

51 minutes ago, MikeW2 said:

UGH...I just noticed your avatar is an Oakland A’s logo, your Billy Beane and guys like Bill James are what started this trend🤬

Despite your loyalties to the A’s, I don’t hold you personally responsible 😂

Phew! Haha

Sitting here thinking about it. It reminds me of my Grandfather. He passed many years ago and was in his 80s when he said this. He would come over and a basketball game would be on. He’d get all fired up, go on about how the game isn’t what it use to be, now they all travel, it’s all about dunking, nobody plays defense... etc. The whole “back in my day...” haha.  I think people get use to a game the way it was when they were younger and how it was when they fell in love with it, and just have a hard time accepting the changes. 

Edited by TiScape

Oh I agree with that 100% but unfortunately I can’t separate the relaxation of an easy afternoon from what the game has become.

Ping Tour 60* wedge

I fought that fight for a long time but I have to admit I’ve lost😂 time to fully embrace my old grumpy self.

• Haha 1

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Another suggestion to MLB, and all professional sports leagues, keep politics out of the game.  Most people gravitate to professional sports as a way to escape the constant bombardment of politics in our everyday life.  Sports is one way to escape it but by bringing in political views (good or bad) it removes the escape most people want.  Also, taking a political stance will alienate a large group of fans who will abandon the game.  This is happening today, look at the NFL and NBA.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RobotDoctor said:

Another suggestion to MLB, and all professional sports leagues, keep politics out of the game.  Most people gravitate to professional sports as a way to escape the constant bombardment of politics in our everyday life.  Sports is one way to escape it but by bringing in political views (good or bad) it removes the escape most people want.  Also, taking a political stance will alienate a large group of fans who will abandon the game.  This is happening today, look at the NFL and NBA.

I think it’s the players. MLB, NFL and NBA all have very strong players unions. Players want it, and they’re the product so... I agree with everything the players stand for and respect them wanting to take advantage of their status to push awareness. But like you said. Sports are an escape... It’s a fine line. For me it’s not hard to separate the politics from the sport. It’s not like it impacts the play on the field or court. I have a few older, Caucasian clients that echo your statement. Knowing them fairly well, I’d say the message is what they have the problem with more so than the combining politics and sports. 😉 

1 minute ago, TiScape said:

I think it’s the players. MLB, NFL and NBA all have very strong players unions. Players want it, and they’re the product so... I agree with everything the players stand for and respect them wanting to take advantage of their status to push awareness. But like you said. Sports are an escape... It’s a fine line. For me it’s not hard to separate the politics from the sport. It’s not like it impacts the play on the field or court. I have a few older, Caucasian clients that echo your statement. Knowing them fairly well, I’d say the message is what they have the problem with more so than the combining politics and sports. 😉 

Please don't indirectly categorize me by skin color.  I'm sure you didn't. I am not Caucasian and never thrust my heritage to make a point about equality.  I gauge another person by their character and actions and always have. 

I don't agree in anyone using sport as a pulpit, especially one that receives a tax exemption. The players may be the product but the product receives a major financial benefit on the backs of the American tax payer.  

5 minutes ago, RobotDoctor said:

Please don't indirectly categorize me by skin color.  I'm sure you didn't. I am not Caucasian and never thrust my heritage to make a point about equality.  I gauge another person by their character and actions and always have. 

I don't agree in anyone using sport as a pulpit, especially one that receives a tax exemption. The players may be the product but the product receives a major financial benefit on the backs of the American tax payer.  

Wasn’t my intention at all. Sorry you took it that way. I’m not making the news, just reporting it. It’s my personal experience. I GUARANTEE you 99% of ppl have no clue what teams receive from taxpayers. 

Edited by TiScape

9 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Wasn’t my intention at all. Sorry you took it that way

12 minutes ago, RobotDoctor said:

I gauge another person by their character and actions and always have. 

Very commendable. I’m the same way.  Unfortunately that can’t be said about a lot of people. 

Edited by TiScape

7 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Wasn’t my intention at all. Sorry you took it that way. I’m not making the news, just reporting it. It’s my personal experience. I GUARANTEE you 99% of ppl have no clue what teams receive from taxpayers. 

I know it wasn't your intent.  That said, turning every issue into a race issue is political.  I am sick and tired of politics in something that should be neutral. 

Regarding the tax status it is the MLB that receives tax exempt status.  I believe this is true for the NFL, NBA, NHL, PGA Tour, and more.  Being that they received tax exemption I don't feel it is appropriate for leagues receiving tax exemption from making political stances or supporting one political position over another.

6 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Very commendable. I’m the same way.  Unfortunately that can’t be said about a lot of people. 

That is very true.  These unfortunate situations have been occurring since the dawn of time.  It is a learned behavior.  Unfortunately this issue will be around long after we are gone.  I have taught my kids to love others and treat others as those they love. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RobotDoctor said:

I know it wasn't your intent.  That said, turning every issue into a race issue is political.  I am sick and tired of politics in something that should be neutral. 

Regarding the tax status it is the MLB that receives tax exempt status.  I believe this is true for the NFL, NBA, NHL, PGA Tour, and more.  Being that they received tax exemption I don't feel it is appropriate for leagues receiving tax exemption from making political stances or supporting one political position over another.

I totally understand. Again, I didn’t turn it into a race issue. You referenced ppl not watching due to the inclusion of let’s just say it, the BLM movement. I know several people that stopped watching for that very reason. I also know why. Right or wrong, it is what it is. I understand both sides points of view. I agree. Leave politics out of sports. That said, I do my best to put it aside and just enjoy the games. It’s not always easy. 

Leave the Sabermetrics out, too!  😝

The other thing is the long games these days.  That's probably not going away as more commercial time these days equates to more revenue.  I wish 9 inning games would get back to the old 2.5 hour length.  

The other member mentioned the Sabermetics and as I watched the games last night I thought about it. It most definitely has impacted the game. But the best players are still starting and playing the entire game almost all the time. Trout is still starting and playing the entire game. Aaron Judge the same. For the A’s Chapman will be at 3rd,  Olson will be at 1st and so on and so on across baseball. Now will the metrics come into play when deciding which role player will start that day in a position that you don’t have a top player, based on numbers against the opposing SP? Absolutely. Same can be said for a pinch hitter. Will SP not pitch complete games? Yes. So what!  Are there shifts now? Yes. Be a professional hitter and beat it! I don’t think it’s had the drastic impact as far as making MLB unwatchable as he said. Just my opinion. It makes me wonder if people as they get older just have a hard time accepting change for the simple fact it’s not what they’re comfortable with or use to, not because it’s necessarily bad. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by TiScape

25 minutes ago, RobotDoctor said:

The other thing is the long games these days.  That's probably not going away as more commercial time these days equates to more revenue.  I wish 9 inning games would get back to the old 2.5 hour length.  

When I’m at a game I just look at it as another 45min of entertainment and enjoyment of the ball park 😊 I’m a very positive person though and still look at a glass as half full. Life’s too hard these days not too. 

Edited by TiScape
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TiScape said:

The other member mentioned the Sabermetics and as I watched the games last night I thought about it. It most definitely has impacted the game. But the best players are still starting and playing the entire game almost all the time. Trout is still starting and playing the entire game. Aaron Judge the same. For the A’s Chapman will be at 3rd,  Olson will be at 1st and so on and so on across baseball. Now will the metrics come into play when deciding which role player will start that day in a position that you don’t have a top player, based on numbers against the opposing SP? Absolutely. Same can be said for a pinch hitter. Will SP not pitch complete games? Yes. So what!  Are there shifts now? Yes. Be a professional hitter and beat it! I don’t think it’s had the drastic impact as far as making MLB unwatchable as he said. Just my opinion. It makes me wonder if people as they get older just have a hard time accepting change for the simple fact it’s not what they’re comfortable with or use to, not because it’s necessarily bad. 🤷🏼‍♂️

The biggest thing I really dislike is the dramatic shifts being employed.  Anthony Rizzo is a great example.  The third baseman shifts to shortstop but towards second base.  The shortstop is just right of second base.  The second baseman is shaded just towards first and the first baseman is hugging first base.  If I were Rizzo I would keep bunting down third for an easy base hit until they stop that horse crud.  I know there is a real science in Sabermetrics and that in itself doesn't bother me. 

If I were a player today I would work really hard to hit to all fields so that these ridiculous shifts couldn't be employed.  That is what I did when I played many, many years ago.  I could hit to all fields but was naturally a pull hitter (right handed batter).  Anything from center to left field was my powerhouse area.  Pitch me away and I would hit it to right field all day long.

3 minutes ago, RobotDoctor said:

The biggest thing I really dislike is the dramatic shifts being employed.  Anthony Rizzo is a great example.  The third baseman shifts to shortstop but towards second base.  The shortstop is just right of second base.  The second baseman is shaded just towards first and the first baseman is hugging first base.  If I were Rizzo I would keep bunting down third for an easy base hit until they stop that horse crud.  I know there is a real science in Sabermetrics and that in itself doesn't bother me. 

If I were a player today I would work really hard to hit to all fields so that these ridiculous shifts couldn't be employed.  That is what I did when I played many, many years ago.  I could hit to all fields but was naturally a pull hitter (right handed batter).  Anything from center to left field was my powerhouse area.  Pitch me away and I would hit it to right field all day long.

Absolutely! Like I said earlier, a professional hitter. There are still guys that can do it. Anyone good enough to hit professional pitching should be able to do it. Still, when you don’t know if 97 with movement is coming or 87 with tons of sink is coming, good luck! Haha. A lot agree, nothing  harder in professional sports than hitting modern day MLB pitching. So more times than not if you do guess right, can somehow recognize spin on a 97+ mph 4 seam from 60’ away etc. You’re  gonna hit it to, more often than not, a predictable spot. Hence the wonderful shift! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Absolutely! Like I said earlier, a professional hitter. There are still guys that can do it. Anyone good enough to hit professional pitching should be able to do it. Still, when you don’t know if 97 with movement is coming or 87 with tons of sink is coming, good luck! Haha. A lot agree, nothing  harder in professional sports than hitting modern day MLB pitching. So more times than not if you do guess right, can somehow recognize spin on a 97+ mph 4 seam from 60’ away etc. You’re  gonna hit it to, more often than not, a predictable spot. Hence the wonderful shift! 

Arrrrgggghhhhhh!