SC300i

• 2 months later...

So I watched all the "not paid for" reviews and I must say they are wrong at best. I purchased the sc300i and followed all the instructions (if you call them that). It was at best way off the mark. I carry my 7 iron 160, period. This thing is 40 yards short on my best swing! I can crush one, and it says I hit it 120. Funny, yesterday, on the course I hit my 7 iron on a 165 yard par 3 and pinned it, one hop pin high stopped about 6 foot past, verified by my massive pitch mark (wet greens). I have hit on other launch monitors, and play 3 times a week. I know my yardage. I might have a bad one, I have tried it all levels of light, inside and out. On the range and indoors, from 3 feet away to 10 foot away, with old and new golf balls, level with the ground and all combinations in between. Its just not good on longer distances. It does however do great on shots 30 - 50 yards. And I do find that it works best at 3 feet, NOT the 6 feet recommended. Save your money and buy the Garmin. 

5 hours ago, Stan Trap said:

So I watched all the "not paid for" reviews and I must say they are wrong at best. I purchased the sc300i and followed all the instructions (if you call them that). It was at best way off the mark. I carry my 7 iron 160, period. This thing is 40 yards short on my best swing! I can crush one, and it says I hit it 120. Funny, yesterday, on the course I hit my 7 iron on a 165 yard par 3 and pinned it, one hop pin high stopped about 6 foot past, verified by my massive pitch mark (wet greens). I have hit on other launch monitors, and play 3 times a week. I know my yardage. I might have a bad one, I have tried it all levels of light, inside and out. On the range and indoors, from 3 feet away to 10 foot away, with old and new golf balls, level with the ground and all combinations in between. Its just not good on longer distances. It does however do great on shots 30 - 50 yards. And I do find that it works best at 3 feet, NOT the 6 feet recommended. Save your money and buy the Garmin. 

Sounds like a setup issue. I have the older SC300, also have the R10 now, and it's quite good at predicting carry distance with mid-irons. The area that I see the most issue with is launch angle on wedges and spin numbers for driver. Otherwise it's quite good for the information that it does provide. 

I will add that I think there is a slight problem, even with mid-irons, if you hit a stinger type shot but then it overpredicts carry but only through the app. I've had a few shots that I caught thin where the reported carry distance from the app was >1000m, =).

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2021 at 2:16 AM, whumber said:

Sounds like a setup issue. I have the older SC300, also have the R10 now, and it's quite good at predicting carry distance with mid-irons. The area that I see the most issue with is launch angle on wedges and spin numbers for driver. Otherwise it's quite good for the information that it does provide. 

I will add that I think there is a slight problem, even with mid-irons, if you hit a stinger type shot but then it overpredicts carry but only through the app. I've had a few shots that I caught thin where the reported carry distance from the app was >1000m, =).

Any comments on the SC300 vs the R10 for indoor accuracy? Looking at the SC300 since I can't find an R10 in stock 

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

• 1 month later...

Have mine about a month and so far so good. I will say it seems to underestimate distance but and big but my range slopes down so that could be the difference. Either way instant feedback on good and bad shots. I found it to be a great tool to grove my swing and feel confident. 

the app has worked flawlessly and with the remote easy to use. I like that the unit is a stand alone unit and I’m not tied to my phone. I only use the phone to look at the data for the day. 

joe 

On 5/11/2021 at 4:59 PM, c7015 said:

I got one , pleased so far , seems to understate the total distance but a good benchmark for improving swing speed, dial in wedge feels 

Working in a net I have improved 10 mph and tuned the driver 

like the stats it exports , questions some of the reporting like how they calculate average 

I'll update my review, I bought this as a golf during covid activity when Ontario was locked down 

I broke the net I was practising on, but thought it might be valuable in my bag and I would use it on the range during the season. 

Unfortunately I did not, I find it kinda a pain to setup and use the app while listening to music (I do that often during practice), it kills your phone battery and honestly if you have the full range and practice facility its only giving you mildly accurate data on your long shots and on short ones you can see if you hit your flag (we have an entire short game practice facility at our course) its not really that useful. It's always trying to re-sync among other things. 

The biggest problem I found with it was that when I used it on the net (chasing speed), it does nothing to tell me path (or side spin), and speed without knowing path meant when golf did reopen I was hooking it off the planet and I don't usually miss left. I was hitting my spot on the net and the shots felt solid but without the extra data points there was no real way to validate in the net if I was improving distance and accuracy. 

I hope I can find some use for it in the offseason 

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

• 3 weeks later...

Bought the SC300i about a month ago.  Generally no issues, very happy up to now.  Today however it only registered about 1 out of every 12 hits with driver and a hybrid.  The only difference I can think of was it was raining today.  Does rain affect its ability to track a ball?  I should add the range mats were also wet, but that wouldn’t affect driver, obviously.  Anyone else experience a similar issue?

On 11/30/2021 at 9:52 AM, Bucko1 said:

Bought the SC300i about a month ago.  Generally no issues, very happy up to now.  Today however it only registered about 1 out of every 12 hits with driver and a hybrid.  The only difference I can think of was it was raining today.  Does rain affect its ability to track a ball?  I should add the range mats were also wet, but that wouldn’t affect driver, obviously.  Anyone else experience a similar issue?

Funny you mention this, I had issues with Mats and water splashing.

Youtube golf instruction video
only shows a ball distance or direction
of about 3 inches

On 11/30/2021 at 2:52 AM, Bucko1 said:

I recently purchased the SC300i. It almost never misses a shot....except for the driver. It misses nearly half of those. I don't understand why. It even picks up my TM Mini Driver shots. I have the device directly behind the ball. Moving it forward or back doesn't seem to improve (or worsen) things. No other club, teed up or not. Just the driver. Also, I'm on a driving range and I set the device on the hard cover, keeping it at mat height.

I can hit drivers from one spot on the mat and irons shots from another without moving the LM, and it still picks up the iron shots. It's a mystery.

On 8/18/2021 at 4:40 PM, Stan Trap said:

This thing is 40 yards short on my best swing! I can crush one, and it says I hit it 120.

You should consider returning the device. It should not ever be this far off.

My experience is that it is pretty accurate. Range balls are about a club short, but real golf balls are spot-on with my expected distances. 

I am concerned about all the missed driver shots--even my 306cc mini driver registers normally, but driver shots are missed almost half the time.

My other concern is swing speed. The 8-iron seems okay--87-89mph, but the driver, 97mph seems low.

2 hours ago, Rich Douglas said:

I recently purchased the SC300i. It almost never misses a shot....except for the driver. It misses nearly half of those. I don't understand why. It even picks up my TM Mini Driver shots. I have the device directly behind the ball. Moving it forward or back doesn't seem to improve (or worsen) things. No other club, teed up or not. Just the driver. Also, I'm on a driving range and I set the device on the hard cover, keeping it at mat height.

I can hit drivers from one spot on the mat and irons shots from another without moving the LM, and it still picks up the iron shots. It's a mystery.

Try putting the SC300i a bit farther away from the ball for driver.

1 hour ago, Rich Douglas said:

Great suggestion. I did, and it didn't seem to have any affect. But I'll try it again. I normally keep it about 5-6 feel behind the ball. I'll move it back and see. Thanks!

Yeah, it may not be the issue indoors that you're seeing but on the outdoor grass range I definitely found I had to have the SC300 about 3-4ft farther back to get consistent reads with driver than for the irons.

9 hours ago, whumber said:

Yeah, it may not be the issue indoors that you're seeing but on the outdoor grass range I definitely found I had to have the SC300 about 3-4ft farther back to get consistent reads with driver than for the irons.

Actually, I'm using it exclusively outdoors. That's why its so weird. Still, I'll move it back and see.

I LOVE the device. I'd like to get spin rates, even it they're approximated, for the driver. I guess the app does that. I haven't explored it, but it doesn't engender good comments.

5 minutes ago, Rich Douglas said:

Actually, I'm using it exclusively outdoors. That's why its so weird. Still, I'll move it back and see.

I LOVE the device. I'd like to get spin rates, even it they're approximated, for the driver. I guess the app does that. I haven't explored it, but it doesn't engender good comments.

I wasn't too enthusiastic about the spin measurements I was getting. With driver especially the spin rates were always higher than what I would expect based on using other LMs that measure spin directly, often by up to 100%.

11 hours ago, whumber said:

I wasn't too enthusiastic about the spin measurements I was getting. With driver especially the spin rates were always higher than what I would expect based on using other LMs that measure spin directly, often by up to 100%.

Good to know. Then, is there any use for the app? I'm really not interested in tracking data--that data will change as I make adjustments anyway.

On 12/3/2021 at 12:27 PM, whumber said:

I moved the device back, first at 6 feet, then 8, then 10. Nothing changed. Every other club reads almost every time. Frankly, I'm always a little surprised when it reads a stroke with the driver.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay. After a couple of exchanges with Swing Caddie tech support, got the driver issue worked out.

If you didn't read the thread, I mentioned that the launch monitor really missed a lot of driver shots. In fact, it was always surprising when it did read one. This was unique to the driver, and probably attributable to the head size of the club. But was there a fix?

Yes.

The key is to make sure the Doppler (which is where the logo is on the face of the device) is EXACTLY behind the ball. For other shots, the device doesn't have to be perfectly placed. But once I did this with the driver, it read almost every shot. It still has trouble with pulled shots, but that's because your clubhead still blocks the ball as the club continues on its swing path around you. But the SC300i now reads almost every driver shot.

Now, to a couple of other standard issues with devices like these: validity and reliability. Validity means, "Does the reading on the device reflect what is actually happening?" Reliability means, "If I put the same swing on the ball will I get the same result?"

The device is quite valid. When I hit real (not range) balls with it, the numbers are what I would expect to see on the course.

The device is pretty reliable, too. The same swing tends to produce the same result. If I do something to diminish the performance of the swing, it shows up in the numbers. Occasionally I'm surprised, but not often.

To me, reliability is way more important than validity. If I make changes--on purpose or not--I want to see that in the numbers displayed. 

Validity is not as important since I'm mainly interested in relative changes. I get valid feedback on the course. For example, I've learned that the device is about 1 club shorter (with range balls) than I actually am when I play. So, I'm looking for 145 yds of carry with an 8-iron on the device, knowing that shows up as 155 yds on the course. (And if I switch in real balls instead of range balls, that's the result I see.)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/23/2021 at 9:36 AM, Rich Douglas said:

Okay. After a couple of exchanges with Swing Caddie tech support, got the driver issue worked out.

If you didn't read the thread, I mentioned that the launch monitor really missed a lot of driver shots. In fact, it was always surprising when it did read one. This was unique to the driver, and probably attributable to the head size of the club. But was there a fix?

Yes.

The key is to make sure the Doppler (which is where the logo is on the face of the device) is EXACTLY behind the ball. For other shots, the device doesn't have to be perfectly placed. But once I did this with the driver, it read almost every shot. It still has trouble with pulled shots, but that's because your clubhead still blocks the ball as the club continues on its swing path around you. But the SC300i now reads almost every driver shot.

Now, to a couple of other standard issues with devices like these: validity and reliability. Validity means, "Does the reading on the device reflect what is actually happening?" Reliability means, "If I put the same swing on the ball will I get the same result?"

The device is quite valid. When I hit real (not range) balls with it, the numbers are what I would expect to see on the course.

The device is pretty reliable, too. The same swing tends to produce the same result. If I do something to diminish the performance of the swing, it shows up in the numbers. Occasionally I'm surprised, but not often.

To me, reliability is way more important than validity. If I make changes--on purpose or not--I want to see that in the numbers displayed. 

Validity is not as important since I'm mainly interested in relative changes. I get valid feedback on the course. For example, I've learned that the device is about 1 club shorter (with range balls) than I actually am when I play. So, I'm looking for 145 yds of carry with an 8-iron on the device, knowing that shows up as 155 yds on the course. (And if I switch in real balls instead of range balls, that's the result I see.)

I am trying to figure the driver out too… I tried placing it 5 feet behind the ball leveled with the floor mat and only reads when I swing it very lightly… anywhere from 220-245… if I do my normal swing it doesn’t not pick up the data just has - - - - very annoying. It reads all my irons and hybrid no problem. Do I need to raise it higher the same level as the ball from the Tee?

also isn’t the sensor right in the middle of the device? I tried lining up the ball to the left side where it has the logo VC

3FAFE027-5633-44E8-9749-E0E3AEF0B5F1.png

Edited by Ey2001

According to the manufacturer, the sensor is right behind the logo.

It isn't very sensitive on irons--it reads them and it reads them consistently.

I've found it valuable to align the device, then walk in front of the ball and examine the alignment head-on. This gives me a very accurate alignment.

Because the swing--specifically, the clubhead--tends to cover the ball on pull shots, I've also found it useful to aim to the right. Device behind the ball, but aim out right.

Just bought one of these today.  Took it out of the box and used it on the range. I only used it with 9i and driver swings and it seemed to work great.  I think it missed a single 9i shot (out of probably 50+).  I had one driver swing read funky (about 180....normal seems to fly 240-250 on this).  So it seemed to be working fine.

HOWEVER

I got home and loaded up the app on my iPhone.  The app loaded fine and opened fine.  I hit the icon in the upper right and had it connect to the SC300i.  It did so and said to update the firmware. I started that process.  The app got to abouit 85% and then said update failed.  I looked at the SC300i and it said 54% in the lower right corner.  I hit the button on the app (continue, ok, cancel...something like that) and it just went back to the app.  The app didn't see the SC300i anymore and said "make sure the unit is powered on" or something like that.  Well, the SC300i is stuck on that 54% screen and won't power on (or off if it's technically on with the 54% showing?).

I can't figure out any way to hard boot/reboot it and connecting to the PC doesn't help. It *feels* like it's bricked but hopefully not.  I've contacted Voice Caddie. Hopefully they can get it sorted.

Update on driver readings.....

Putting the logo right behind the ball really helps. 

Make sure your device is elevated to the same height as the ball. I hit from mats, so I keep the device sitting on the case for irons shots, but teed-up shots I elevate it two inches higher. That really seems to help. It still misses most pulled shots, but straight shots and blocks read just fine. (Well, with a few misses here and there.)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still struggling to get it to read driver shots. More often than not, I get the dreaded "---", something I never see with any other club. I've tried ensuring it was aligned directly behind the ball, I've moved it left and right. I've had the device slightly below mat height, at mat height, and above mat height.

This is due either to the lower loft (and, thus, launch angles) or the size of the clubhead. Whatever it is, it's completely annoying compared to using the device on all other shots.

Any other ideas?