2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Who buys irons without getting fitted and feels good about their choice?

jjfcpa

I check in with a local fitter every now and then to get acquainted with the latest and greatest. It's useful to know what's out there and if any have potential.

Every once in awhile it turns into a new purchase, more often not.

I tend to bank that info and buy lightly used.

If minor tweaks are needed I do them myself, I always put fresh grips on them. Kinda finicky about grips.

I’ve had enough fittings within the past 2 seasons that I now know what works for me and what doesn’t.  Keep myself educated and have a fitter/builder that owns his shop that I trust.  I always go to him if I have any questions.

• Like 1

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Searching…

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

I have mixed feelings on fittings.  I got fit this year by a major OEM, outside with trackman with pro v 1s.  I got the clubs and have never hit  irons worse, ever!  I have already sent them back.  I played about 8 times with them thinking it will get better, it didn't ( I am plus handicap).  I ordered a different head, different shaft and different lie angle.  I will bet every penny I have that I will hit them way better. 

Edited by tets

15 minutes ago, tannyhoban said:

I check in with a local fitter every now and then to get acquainted with the latest and greatest. It's useful to know what's out there and if any have potential.

Every once in awhile it turns into a new purchase, more often not.

I tend to bank that info and buy lightly used.

If minor tweaks are needed I do them myself, I always put fresh grips on them. Kinda finicky about grips.

One thing that's always seem a problem to me with the kinds of fittings people describe on the forum. I can't imagine how much faith I'd need to have in a fitter to pay $1,700 for a set of customized, blueprinted irons when I could them them "lightly used" for $700 or brand new for $1,100.

If a $700 set of irons doesn't work out and I sell them on for $450 a few months later that's not great but it's manageable. But if a $1,700 set of Club Champion irons just simply never works well for me I've just lost a thousand bucks or more. I could never roll the dice like that.

• Like 1

I’ve never been fit for anything other than a driver. I know after 30 years of golf what works for me so I can narrow down my choices pretty easily. I do my own club work as well so simple modifications I can do. I can usually tell within about 20 balls if the setup is right for me with a set of irons. I can feel it instantly and also notice if my lies aren’t quite right.  I have a flight window in my head that I want the ball to fly through. Anything lower or much higher than that window will not work for me on the course. My personal ball flight window might not be my max out numbers but I know I can play good golf with irons I can flight in that window.  Fitting sometimes doesn’t take that into account. You have awesome numbers on the screen only to find on the golf course you hate that ball flight and struggle to get comfortable. 

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

9 hours ago, Myherobobhope said:

I was going to say I wanted the cobra tech irons, but figured this version was more fun...

just need to win my masters pool and I’ll buy a set of the copper ones!

LOL

BTW i bought the TECs without ever hitting them (only holding them in the store) and got them with Modus 130 having never tested that shaft.

I love them so far! 

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I buy them now without a fitting.

However.....

I went to an amazing fitting with one of the top 10 in America back in 2004.  I found out what kinds of things work me and what kinds do not.  I know the shafts I prefer and know how to MOI match my clubs, I knew how to self assess my lie angle, and with the dry erase marker test I am even better at it.

I know what shaft weights and total weights allow me to hit center of the clubface more often, so just like my current set, I order sight unseen.  I play the stock shafts for a round or two just to see how these new shafts work(I try to get something close to what I know works), then I file that away in my fitting file and put my favorite shafts in my irons once I get the head weights correct.   

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

53 minutes ago, ColinKelvin said:

Been there done that (although I am relatively short at 6'4) - based on a poor fitting a few years back.  Did you find you were hitting good shots left as they were too long/upright?

The problem was that my clubs still weren’t long enough after I got them adjusted. The last 3 sets of irons/wedges I had were +1” and 1* up for the irons, and +1.25” and 1* up for the wedges. My shafts were also too light...I had shafts between 85g-95g stiff.

From the fitting I found out that I actually need my irons and wedges to be +1.5” and 2* up, and shafts to be 120g stiff. Totally different ball game, and it should be much easier on my back and shoulders to finally have clubs that fit.

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Big Bertha 23 (19*) / Cally RCH 65 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland CBX (48*), RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Never been fitted. Always played DG S300, but can play most any shaft with the right flex.

Just bought a new set of heads and am going to do a graphite build with Fujikura Pro iron shafts. Getting older and it's probably time to go lighter. I bought one shaft to make sure they aren't terrible, and will build them to my liking. +3/4", 2° upright. I like a heavier swingweight, but don't really bother with numbers, and don't own a swingweight scale.

Now driver, on the other hand, is another story. I've been playing a driver that fits me perfectly (lucky?) for several years. I've tried diferent heads and shafts, and never got along with them.

If I was going to pay retail for a new driver, I'd get fit for that.

But irons, I can play anything.

Edited by Ger21

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

I had a static fitting a few years back at a golf shop and at my height/wingspan standard length sets in R flex are right in my wheelhouse. So if I want a new set I'll see if I can hit them on a sim first more to see if the shaft feels good and gives good dispersion. But I've bought more than a few sets on a whim and can only really remember one that I sort of regretted and that was mostly due to me thinking I was a better ballstriker than I actually am.

I have played well with rental sets. That being said I like my irons a bit upright, fairly soft Reg. Shafts and I do my own grips. 

I have done fittings in the past, and I may do them in the future, but I can order my specs without a fitting and get really close to what a fitter would recommend 

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I play mizuno. Have no desire to even try anything else. I've gone mp33 to mp63 to jpx900t to now jpx921t. Didn't get fit for any of them. I've gone from s300 to ctaper 120s to $taper120s. The move to kbs was done on my own. Didn't get fit, just used the mizuno cart at a retailer to see how I liked the feel of the shafts. 

53 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

The problem was that my clubs still weren’t long enough after I got them adjusted. The last 3 sets of irons/wedges I had were +1” and 1* up for the irons, and +1.25” and 1* up for the wedges. My shafts were also too light...I had shafts between 85g-95g stiff.

From the fitting I found out that I actually need my irons and wedges to be +1.5” and 2* up, and shafts to be 120g stiff. Totally different ball game, and it should be much easier on my back and shoulders to finally have clubs that fit.

I see people say this often and it is a bit confusing. That quarter inch is less than the variable length change from 6 to 7 iron (or any other club). How is your back going to be saved? You were already swinging a 37.5 inch club, it just had an 7 on it instead of an 8.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NC_Indy said:

I see people say this often and it is a bit confusing. That quarter inch is less than the variable length change from 6 to 7 iron (or any other club). How is your back going to be saved? You were already swinging a 37.5 inch club, it just had an 7 on it instead of an 8.

The biggest issue is always the short irons and wedges, although there is definitely a difference in the long irons also.

The difference shows up in the amount that you have to bend down or squat to try and be low enough to make contact with the ball. It also shows up in lower back and upper back pain after a driving range session or round.

The feeling of trying to change your body position and contort your body to swing a club that is too short is a horrible feeling that I’ve experienced too many times.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Completely depends what you're trying to improve on and what "works for you". You could be in a completely wrong shaft profile and while your good shots are good, your misses could be all over the place or they could be constant. Either way a new shaft profile could tighten your dispersion (should it be a problem) and perhaps minimize whatever your common miss is. I drank the kool-aid and got a fitting after nerding out during quarantine on fitting stuff, so I am sort of biased.  Prior to that I would play whatever you put in my hands and make it work. Did that hold back my game? We will soon find out....

Ping G425 LST  10.5* -  Ping Tour 65x
TaylorMade R15 3W - Speeder Evolution S
Ping G425 2 Hybrid 17* - Ping Tour 85x
Mizuno 921F 4-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite X
Cleveland RTX 60
TaylorMade Spider - Counterweight 

12 hours ago, BogeyParBogey said:

If the new clubs work great then just go with it 🙂

I've bought sets fitted and not fitted.  Either method is a crap shoot in my opinion.

Dave

I couldn't agree more.  I wasn't happy with any of my "fittings" because in both cases, I think they just picked the one that I hit the longest and said go with it.  

However, when I went to the fitter and asked him to make whatever adjustments to my clubs that he felt would help me... now that was a great fitting.  I walked out feeling confident that the changes he made would help me... and they did.  He also mentioned changes I could make to the shaft and length of some clubs, but he stated that these would probably only marginally improve things and felt they weren't necessary.  There should be more "fittings" like this.

• Like 1

I had one fitting and it was a disaster. I was trying to kill the ball to put up some impressive numbers instead of just relaxing and using my normal swing. The longer the session went on the worse it got. Now I just find a club that suits my eye go to a shop that has a demo and outdoor range. Hit it if I like it I buy it. If not continue the search, this has worked out well for me so no fittings.

I will say I agree with a lot of what folks say about fittings. It comes down to you and the fitter. If the fitter is good and you are honest, the results could be amazing. But as some have mentioned, if your "fitter" is Salesman Steve, you will be fit with the highest margin, because commission doesn't pay itself.

I agreed to a swing analysis and said I was open to talk shafts. I have some faith in the place, but I haven't met homeboy yet, just email. So we will see. I honestly love my current irons and think they will be even better with the new shafts. But homeboy could feel different. 

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

My original fitting back in 1995, gave me lie angle and length measurements.  I have since been fitted on Trackman a few times and although the session was complete and interesting, I ended up with Launch Monitor kings.  

I need to be comfortable with the look at address and I understand my needs for shaft weight and kick points.  

Titleist Tsr2 9*

PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 15*

PXG 0317X Gen 4 20.5*

Ping i210 5-P (26*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*

Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

I did the last two times I got irons. Played my Taylormade TP MBs for 7 years. Just switched to Mizuno MP20 MMCs and loving those. My blades had project x 6.5. Current irons have dynamic gold 120 x200.

So far so good. But I used to be a fitter so I kinda know what I want and need.

Dr. Sim2 8° w/ RDX blue 60 6.5

3 Wood. Sim2 15° and 19° w/ Diamana 70x

Ui. Callaway x forged ut 21° w/ dg120 x100

4 to GW. Mizuno Pro 223 w/ dg120 x100

SW and Lw. 54° and 58° Milled grind raw w/ dg s200

Putter. Odyssey OG 1ws, 33 inches

Ball. Taylormade TP5x

Played 15yrs with standard stuff. Went to a fitting and got clubs adjusted a bit, 1 upright and stiffer shafts. It didn't make a dent on my index or scores and honestly don't care anymore. I have friends who thinks a fitting will change their golf game and know teachers who advised moving lie angles 2 upright to help a slice. A bad swing is still a bad swing. 

Edited by golfjam
  • Like 3

TM Stealth 2+ 9 Fuji Ventus Black 6X

TM Stealth + 13.5 HZRDUS Blue 70 6.5

TM SIM UDI 2i HZRDUS Black 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 MK2 4-PW Modus 120X

Vokey SM10 50.08F/56.12D/60.08M S400

SC SS Squareback 2

2 hours ago, BallerNate said:

The biggest issue is always the short irons and wedges, although there is definitely a difference in the long irons also.

The difference shows up in the amount that you have to bend down or squat to try and be low enough to make contact with the ball. It also shows up in lower back and upper back pain after a driving range session or round.

The feeling of trying to change your body position and contort your body to swing a club that is too short is a horrible feeling that I’ve experienced too many times.

Yeah, but 6mm? 🤷‍♂️

I got fitted about 7 years ago, I have the specs, just ordered new irons based on those, they work so why change?

Reasonably skilled players can adjust or adapt to most clubs...that said I'm not one to get hung up on numbers, I go with feel mostly.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

I've been fitted 3 times and every time I walked away very disappointed. One of the fittings was kinda expensive. The fact is I am left handed and every time, when I got to the hitting bay the person had to grab stuff and shift it around and it seemed so haphazardly placed that I could see that this was not going to turn out productive. It's simply a "right handed" world when it comes to golf club fittings. So............ I have purchased a ton of clubs, learned how to alter shafts by removing and installing shaft adapters. I have 24 hr epoxy, quick set epoxy, bags of shaft adapters from all makers, rulers, fixtures, jigs, angle finders, shaft pullers, air compressor, etc. I have turned trial & error into an expensive hobby, hence the last line of my signature. I don't mean to come off as a complainer, or whiner. Just a realist. 

It is what it is.  

• Like 3

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 thru 5 hybrids
Srixon z565 6 thru PW
48°, 52° & 58° Cleveland CBX wedges
Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C flat stick

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.

10 minutes ago, GSDriver said:

Reasonably skilled players can adjust or adapt to most clubs...that said I'm not one to get hung up on numbers, I go with feel mostly.

When I first joined I started a thread about gaming to your equipment or equipped to your game. I bought irons I aspired to play and did rather quickly.

My first real set of irons were +1 length and +1 lie as I am 6'4", it seemed appropriate based on a few basic measurements. While I played them well, my 2 and 3 iron at +1 were tough to hit.

Everything since has been standard length and lie and it seems to work well.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

1 hour ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Yeah, but 6mm? 🤷‍♂️

We’re talking about the difference between +1” and +1.5” right? That’s a difference of 12.7 mms, not 6.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

12 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

We’re talking about the difference between +1” and +1.5” right? That’s a difference of 12.7 mms, not 6.

Wasn't it 1/4 inch difference? +1.25? Hang on...

"The problem was that my clubs still weren’t long enough after I got them adjusted. The last 3 sets of irons/wedges I had were +1” and 1* up for the irons, and +1.25” and 1* up for the wedges. My shafts were also too light...I had shafts between 85g-95g stiff.

From the fitting I found out that I actually need my irons and wedges to be +1.5” and 2* up, and shafts to be 120g stiff. Totally different ball game, and it should be much easier on my back and shoulders to finally have clubs that fit."

Okay, it looks like we were both correct. I'll concede that 1/2" is much more likely to be noticed, but I doubt it's enough to make a difference to a player's back and shoulders. That sounds psychosomatic to me.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mathwiz said:

I've been fitted 3 times and every time I walked away very disappointed. One of the fittings was kinda expensive. The fact is I am left handed and every time, when I got to the hitting bay the person had to grab stuff and shift it around and it seemed so haphazardly placed that I could see that this was not going to turn out productive. It's simply a "right handed" world when it comes to golf club fittings. So............ I have purchased a ton of clubs, learned how to alter shafts by removing and installing shaft adapters. I have 24 hr epoxy, quick set epoxy, bags of shaft adapters from all makers, rulers, fixtures, jigs, angle finders, shaft pullers, air compressor, etc. I have turned trial & error into an expensive hobby, hence the last line of my signature. I don't mean to come off as a complainer, or whiner. Just a realist. 

It is what it is.  

Me too....except the left handed part. Haven’t had a fitting where I walked away totally confident. I know generally enough what works for me and what doesn’t. Shaft Weight classes, flex, profiles, etc. So I learned to build myself and try stuff and tweak as needed. If I was good enough to play on tour I’d be more picky about getting precisely the best. But I’m not so I’ve found it fun (and a little expensive) to just tinker in my garage.

• Like 1

I think there are definitely some benefits to fitting and some over promises.

I've done a few fittings, only 1 for iron shafts, but I've done the Mizuno shaft optimizer a few times too. It always spits out a ~115g shaft around stiff/x-stiff. I tried the Oban's at my fitting and they just felt super smooth so I stuck with them.

For driver or longer clubs I think it could make more of a difference. Longer club, higher swing speed, and more significant differences in shaft profiles and feels to deliver —your— best club dynamics.

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6x

Titleist TSi2 3W Venus TR Blue 7x

Callaway Apex 16 3 Hybrid Ventus HB Blue 9x

Callaway Apex Pro 4i DG 120 X100

Callaway Apex CB 5i-PW DG 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F/54D/60S DG S300

L.A.B. MEZZ.1

42 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

That sounds psychosomatic to me.

Now you’re saying I’m a head-case, Lol?

Just to clarify, no there’s not a big difference between my wedges being extended from +1.25” to +1.5”.

I was talking about the difference between playing standard vs +1.5” or +1” vs +1.5”.

The bottom line is, I was talking about how important it is to have properly fitting clubs when you’re 6’7. Can’t speak about anyone else’s experiences, or what works or doesn’t work for you.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX