Wedges - Same loft...different bounce and grind

columbuslinks

I am thinking about changing to 2 wedges with the same loft but different bounce and grind. Are there others out there that have tried this with success?

My lowest club is a 48 degree Titleist T200. I currently game a 54 and 58 Titleist SM6.

Titleist SM8

56.08 M grind for partial shots and around the green

56.14 F grind for full shots and bunkers

I have an SM8 Low Bounce K grind 58* and an M grind 58*. They both have 8* of bounce but the grind are very different. I swap them out for one another depending on course conditions. My 54* is a D grind and has 12* of bounce which is always in the bag. I prefer the mix of having different bounces at different lofts for more versatility. 

TSi3 9* / Ventus Black 6x

Tour Issue Hot SIM2 Rescue 17* / Ventus Black HB 10tx

TSi3 19* / Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100•s 4-9 / Dynamic Gold X7

SM8 46F, 50F / Dynamic Gold X7

SM8 54D, 58LBK / Dynamic Gold TI X100

Champion’s Choice / MC X-Firm
620 / MC X-Firm

Met a professional clubsmith who had two 56* SWs.

One was a high bounce he used out of bunkers, the other was a low bounce with shaft a half-inch shorter. He used the low-bounce as a LW.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2021, post-MAX changeover)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, set 9.5°; weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

I’m pondering something close to this - have a Glide 58TS and thinking of adding a 56 Eye2. The 58 isn’t a full swing club for me.

G400Max Xtorsion 60S | Cobra F9 3W Devo 7S | F9 3H Devo 8S

XL Halo 5H | G425 6-7H Tensei OrangeS |  Halo XL 8-DW CypherS

Glide3 Eye2 55-60 Recoil Proto W | Nova or ER2B

9 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

Met a professional clubsmith who had two 56* SWs.

One was a high bounce he used out of bunkers, the other was a low bounce with shaft a half-inch shorter. He used the low-bounce as a LW.

Interesting idea, but with various grinds and being able to manipulate the face to basically what ever you want, it seems he over thought the LW.  I'm sure it worked out well as a 56* (not my lofts) is able to handle most situations with enough loft.

Titleist TSi2 9* AV Raw Blue 65TX

Titleist TS2 16.5* AV Raw Blue 75TX

Titleist TS3 19* AV Raw Blue 75X

Edel 4-PW Nippon SPB X SSx1

Edel 50/54/58 DG TI S400

SC PP Mid-Slant

2 hours ago, PEI_Golfer said:

it seems he over thought the LW.

I met him in 2012. I'm sure he's now around 70 years old like me.

He and I were hitting greenside cut shots with a SW for 20 years before the LW appeared. We mastered the art. This guy found "something that works" with the second 56*.

(I'm not sure what his wedge mix is a decade later.)

Also, not everyone loves LWs. My wife and I took a spring vacation to a golf resort a few years ago, and I met two players from a nearby small-college. Both of them used a 56* as their highest-lofted wedge. They said a LW was more hassle than it's worth.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2021, post-MAX changeover)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, set 9.5°; weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

When I first got a lob wedge I hated it. As a teen I had one wedge and learned to use it 10 different ways. To this day I still would rather have a lower loft wedge with a face/grind I can manipulate than a 60+ loft. Certainly depends on how you swing your chips but with me probably more old habits die hard (with vengeance).

G400Max Xtorsion 60S | Cobra F9 3W Devo 7S | F9 3H Devo 8S

XL Halo 5H | G425 6-7H Tensei OrangeS |  Halo XL 8-DW CypherS

Glide3 Eye2 55-60 Recoil Proto W | Nova or ER2B