2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Forgiving, Yet Fade Biased Driver

drumdude96

20 hours ago, drumdude96 said:

The SLDR mini hasn't been in the bag for a while. Just haven't updated my signature. I'm still trying to find the perfect 3 wood to replace it.

ON your 3 wood issues, the only bigger 3 wood ho than me was @Duffner's Waggleand the Titleist 3 woods cured both of us.  I am in a Ts2 4 wood opened face and flat and it has been amazing.

• Haha 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

5 hours ago, driveandputtmachine said:

ON your 3 wood issues, the only bigger 3 wood ho than me was @Duffner's Waggleand the Titleist 3 woods cured both of us.  I am in a Ts2 4 wood opened face and flat and it has been amazing.

I actually bought 904f 3 and 5 woods and they are REALLY good.  I bought them for a vintage bag, but they are so good they may stay in the main bag. 

• Like 1

PING G400 Max 10.5° GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X                                            

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 16.5° 3HL Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 70 X                                                       

Callaway V-Series 19° 5 wood Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 80 S                                                         

PING G410 22°, 26° & 30° Hybrids KBS Steel Hybrid Shaft X                                               

Adams A4 Forged 7-PW Dynamic Gold AMT X100 D4                                                                        

Cleveland CBX 50°, 55° Dynamic Gold S400

Cleveland CBX Full Face 60° Dynamic Gold Tour Spinner

Odyssey 2-Ball Blade w/Triple Trac

Vice Pro Plus Lime

I’m a lefty as well and dislike hooky drives. For me the OG Epic SZ and now my Ping G410 LST have kept the right side of the fairway non existent. Straight or a small fade. I did play the Ping G400 Max and it was straight to a draw for me. Took work for me to fade it. 

DRIVER - PING G430 LST

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 5W

HYBRIDS - PING G430 3H

IRONS - PING i230 4-UW

WEDGES - PING GLIDE 4.0 54S & 58E

PUTTER - SCOTTY CAMERON SS NEWPORT 2

Look at Mizuno ST-Z 9.5 available in lefty - fade bias.

• Like 2

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I haven't liked a TM driver since I had a Burner Tour in the bag which if I recall had an open face angle since it was the Tour version.  I just upgraded my Epic Sub Zero to the Original TM SIM in 10.5 Loft.  I've turned the loft down 0.75 degrees which has opened the face by 1.5 degrees.  It's early in the season, but it's a game changer so far.  I'm only 5'7" tall and the lie angle feels flatter than the Callaway, (Haven't checked if it actually is, but everything about it at address feels more comfortable). So far now wild left misses with it and I struggle with a hook. If you crank the loft down to 9 degrees, it will open the face 3 degrees.

On 4/2/2021 at 8:12 PM, drumdude96 said:

You (hopefully) read the title, folks.  What drivers are fade biased, yet still really forgiving?  The first one that comes to mind for me would be a G425 Max with the weight in the fade position, or maybe the G425 LST.  What else is out there?  And I HATE TaylorMade stuff with a passion.  Not because of any silly prejudices or anything like that.  The stuff just performs horribly for me.  So, TM is out.  I am currently bagging a G400 Max, and recent swing changes have me hitting way too many balls to right field (I'm a lefty).  I need something that helps keep me from shutting the face down too quickly, but that is also pretty good when you don't hit the sweet spot.  I think the 400 Max is more for someone who fights a slice, not a hook, at least that's what I'm experiencing with mine. 

PXG Proto+ comes to mind since you like the Ping stuff.  With the toe weighting option (add is much as you want), its a real left killer.

The Cobra Rad Speed XB is also a very high MOI (over 5500 in TL model) and favors the right side of the fairway due to the seemingly slightly open face. I found this to be the case in my SZ Extreme (last years model) and Accra TZ6 combo...cuts power fades all day.  Also, has a familiar matte finish to your gamers.

• Like 2

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

The G410 Plus is the 1st head in recent memory for me that I haven’t had to loft down, or move weights to a fade bias.  In fact, I’ve had to put the weight in the draw setting to hit it relatively straight (slight cut is still my preferred ball flight).  The shaft could have something to with it, I’m sure, but even from a looks standpoint, it seems to sit really square at neutral, whereas other heads looked closed to me until I opened up the face angle.

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Ventus Blue 6 or LA Golf Trono 7 

Tour Edge Exotics E723 15* Ventus Blue 6

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6

Cobra King Tec 4 Utility MMT 80
PXG 0311P Gen2 5-PW MMT 80

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

2 hours ago, rondre3000 said:

I was just about to add Mizuno ST-Z as well. Liked my 5 wood so much I just ordered the driver!

I like Mizuno stuff, but I'm not sure if I can get any sole weights.  I like my drivers at 44", and if heavier weights aren't available then the Mizuno will be a no-go.  Starting to sound like a G410 LST might be the ticket since PING weights are readily available.  I did come across a TM R9 TP Superdeep today in my stash of clubs.  I put a 16 gram weight in the toe.  Gonna try it tomorrow and see how that goes.  I took out my Wishon 919 today with 85 gram S2S black shaft and it did okay.  Not quite what I'm looking for, but not bad.  The G400 Max just isn't going to work, I don't think.  I'll never sell it, but it's gonna be in timeout for a while.  Probably a long while.

PING G400 Max 10.5° GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X                                            

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 16.5° 3HL Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 70 X                                                       

Callaway V-Series 19° 5 wood Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 80 S                                                         

PING G410 22°, 26° & 30° Hybrids KBS Steel Hybrid Shaft X                                               

Adams A4 Forged 7-PW Dynamic Gold AMT X100 D4                                                                        

Cleveland CBX 50°, 55° Dynamic Gold S400

Cleveland CBX Full Face 60° Dynamic Gold Tour Spinner

Odyssey 2-Ball Blade w/Triple Trac

Vice Pro Plus Lime

I’m also a lefty fighting a bit of the hooks. I’m currently playing the G425 MAX in the neutral flat setting that get a nice draw or straight shot when well struck. I’m going to experiment with going to the flat -1 setting to see what it does. It actually looks neutral at address to me in the -1 setting and I want to see if there is a noticeable difference in ball flight.

2 hours ago, drumdude96 said:

I like Mizuno stuff, but I'm not sure if I can get any sole weights.  I like my drivers at 44", and if heavier weights aren't available then the Mizuno will be a no-go.  Starting to sound like a G410 LST might be the ticket since PING weights are readily available.  I did come across a TM R9 TP Superdeep today in my stash of clubs.  I put a 16 gram weight in the toe.  Gonna try it tomorrow and see how that goes.  I took out my Wishon 919 today with 85 gram S2S black shaft and it did okay.  Not quite what I'm looking for, but not bad.  The G400 Max just isn't going to work, I don't think.  I'll never sell it, but it's gonna be in timeout for a while.  Probably a long while.

You may not be able to get a weight YET. I'm sure the aftermarket will support this soon enough.

Is hotmelt an option for you?

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/2/2021 at 10:12 PM, drumdude96 said:

You (hopefully) read the title, folks.  What drivers are fade biased, yet still really forgiving?  The first one that comes to mind for me would be a G425 Max with the weight in the fade position, or maybe the G425 LST.  What else is out there?  And I HATE TaylorMade stuff with a passion.  Not because of any silly prejudices or anything like that.  The stuff just performs horribly for me.  So, TM is out.  I am currently bagging a G400 Max, and recent swing changes have me hitting way too many balls to right field (I'm a lefty).  I need something that helps keep me from shutting the face down too quickly, but that is also pretty good when you don't hit the sweet spot.  I think the 400 Max is more for someone who fights a slice, not a hook, at least that's what I'm experiencing with mine. 

Lefty here as well with the G400 MAX and my visits to the right side are way to often as well...I just ordered G400 LST head up as I heard they are more neutral ball flight oriented because of CG being more forwards helps slow face rotation and also a flatter lie angle...excited to see if it helps! G400 MAX is a great driver but I believe for the better player who doesn't need any help with face rotation in can hurt.

Edited by JCray33

On 4/5/2021 at 8:42 PM, gmiller598 said:

I’m also a lefty fighting a bit of the hooks. I’m currently playing the G425 MAX in the neutral flat setting that get a nice draw or straight shot when well struck. I’m going to experiment with going to the flat -1 setting to see what it does. It actually looks neutral at address to me in the -1 setting and I want to see if there is a noticeable difference in ball flight.

That’s how I have my Ping G425 Max set to. It’s a 9* head set to -1 flat setting. Just looks perfect to me. 

DRIVER - PING G430 LST

HYBRIDS - PING G430 3H

IRONS - PING i230 4-UW

On 4/5/2021 at 9:27 PM, drumdude96 said:

I haven't sold my 400 max or my 410 LST, they are sitting on a shelf, without shafts in them on a long timeout.

The Epic Max LS can use some older Callaway weights, there is a thread on it here somewhere.  I have a little lead tape on it now until I make a decision on how much weight I want to add.

I will say that because over the years most Ping drivers come standard a decent bit heavier than other companies they tend to be easier out of the box to play shorter.  Also, the 410 LST is NOT as forgiving as the Epic Max LS, I have not tried the 425 LST so I cannot speak on it.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

• 3 months later...
On 4/4/2021 at 11:11 PM, jbandalo said:

I’m a lefty as well and dislike hooky drives. For me the OG Epic SZ and now my Ping G410 LST have kept the right side of the fairway non existent. Straight or a small fade. I did play the Ping G400 Max and it was straight to a draw for me. Took work for me to fade it. 

Just to confirm, GBB Epic not Epic Flash?

I am a lefty that seems to find the right side of the fairway too often. I want straight as well. I can deal with a baby draw or fade but need to play something more fade biased (hence why I’m in this thread). 

Edited by SouthPawKap

10 hours ago, SouthPawKap said:

Just to confirm, GBB Epic not Epic Flash?

I am a lefty that seems to find the fight side of the fairway too often. I want straight as well. I can deal with a baby draw or fade but need to play something more fade biased (hence why I’m in this thread). 

Yes, the original GBB Subzero version.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DRIVER - PING G430 LST

HYBRIDS - PING G430 3H

IRONS - PING i230 4-UW

My Cleveland Launcher HB is the most forgiving driver I've ever had. The last two I owned were Taylor Made. I wouldn't say it's fade or draw biased, as I can do both with it, with exactly the same swing. With the ball teed off the middle of my left foot I get a gentle fade, with it off the ball of the left foot I get a gentle draw, as the club face has more time to close with the ball further up. The distance is the same as I got with the Taylor Made, an R11 and M1. Both of those took a major inside out swing path to force a draw, and more often than not an attempted fade ended up as a full out slice. 

Based on my experience with the driver I ended up going Cleveland across the board, with 16, 19 and 22 degree Halo hybrids, 5-SW Launcher HB irons and a CBX2 lob wedge, replacing Taylor Made across the board. They're all just as long as the TM, but much more accurate. The Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter is still in the bag. I don't see replacing that until I wear it out.

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

I struggle with a similar miss off the tee. The Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond is great and sets up nice and neutral. I also found getting the right shaft made a night a day difference. For me, a shaft with stiff mid and tip was great. Having the flex point higher towards the butt is what seems to be giving me a much better feel in my driver swing.

PING G430 Max 9* • Tensei 1K Pro Orange 6S
PING G430 3 Wood • Tensei 1K Pro Blue 7S
Titleist TSR2 3 Hybrid • Tensei 1K Hybrid 80S

T200 4 Iron • Hzrdus 6.0

PING Blueprint S 5-PW • AWT 2.0 X

Vokey 50.12F, 54.10S, 58.08M • DG TI S400 Onyx

Odyssey 2-Ball Eleven • BGT Stability Tour

• 2 months later...
On 4/2/2021 at 10:12 PM, drumdude96 said:

g400 max wanted to draw for me as well. The g400 regular driver with some lead tape on the toe side has been nothing short of unbelievable for me.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond has been a game changer for me. Incredibly forgiving with a nice neutral set up. Not too low of spin and I get away with a lot of bad swings. 

The TSi3 was also a strong contender and still would love to pick one up at some point. 

PING G430 Max 9* • Tensei 1K Pro Orange 6S
PING G430 3 Wood • Tensei 1K Pro Blue 7S
Titleist TSR2 3 Hybrid • Tensei 1K Hybrid 80S

T200 4 Iron • Hzrdus 6.0

PING Blueprint S 5-PW • AWT 2.0 X

Vokey 50.12F, 54.10S, 58.08M • DG TI S400 Onyx

Odyssey 2-Ball Eleven • BGT Stability Tour

The Epic MAX LS is one of the most forgiving “players” drivers that have recently come out onto the market. This is a result of Callaway’s efforts to maintain a respectable amount of MOI in the driver head (more than 8400) while still giving low-handicappers and Tour players the spin performance they expect.

The bar for forgiveness is set high off the bat because of the Jailbreak Frame and Flash Face, which both help minimize the negative effects of a mis-hit.

As expected, the MAX LS falls in between the MAX and Speed in terms of forgiveness. The flight pattern is very consistent, even if you miss the sweet spot.

You could even say that the Epic MAX LS driver has a bit of a fade bias (up to 13 yards or so), making it ideal for golfers who traditionally struggle with hooks or unwanted draws. Of course, the sliding sole weight can be used to add that extra bit of stability and forgiveness if desired.