Forgiving, Yet Fade Biased Driver

drumdude96

I'm probably going to hate it, but I picked up an OG Sim to try out. I can always sell it if I don't like it. The G400 Max still likes to hit a straight pull instead of a pull cut far more often than I would like.

Bag 1                                                                                     Bag 2                                                     

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5° GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X   PING Rapture 10.5° YS6+ S            

PING G25 16.5° 4 Wood UST Attas 4U 7 TS                     Titleist 906F2 15° YS6+ FW S           

Callaway Epic Flash21° 7 Wood UST Attas 4U 8S            Titleist 904F 19° Speeder S      

TaylorMade 200 4 & 5 Irons S90 Steel                              Titleist 904F 22° DG S300               

Mizuno MP30 6-PW DG AMT X100                                    PING Zing BeCu 5-SW AMT Tour White Black Onyx S300

Cobra Trusty Rusty 51° DG X100                                        PING Eye 2 XG 56° & 60° DG S300

Mizuno T20 55° & 60° DG X100                                          PING Sigma Tyne H 

Yes! Natalie Center Shafted                                                Vice Pro Plus White

I agree with the OP's original ideas.

I game a Ping G425 12 degree and have a natural draw. I have the weight set to fade and have taken the left side of the fairway out of play. The ball just goes straight.

I also tried a Ping G425 10.5 LST and couldn't get it not to fade, even with the loft turned up 1.5 degrees (closing the face) and with the weight in the draw position. Could not hit it left to save my life.

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen 2 25 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i200 5-U w/Project X 5.5 LZ
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge S w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 64 Tour Issue w/DG S400
Putter: Ping Doc 12.5 
Ball: Titleist ProV1x 

The Callaway Epic Max LS has been recommended in this thread several times but I wanted to give it another thumbs up. It is indeed a MAX style head in terms of forgiveness that is somewhat low spin. The Sub Zero models of years past are completely different than this head. The SZ heads are VERY punishing on off center strikes and difficult to launch for a lot of golfers. The Max LS is infinitely easier to hit and launches great for me even though I have a negative angle of attack with driver. It is a neutral head with a small amount of fade bias available with the sliding weight but it definitely helps the hook miss. Behind the ball it sets dead straight with hardly any bulge and roll visible at address. I may sound like the marketing machine ran me over but these are real world observations over almost a year now.  

PXG Proto with heavy weight in the toe and Tensei Pro Orange for me was an awesome fade machine fairway finder. Still regret selling that head for the Gen4

TM Stealth + 9*... MCA Diamana PD 70x

TM 300 Mini 13.5*... VA Composites Raijin 74x ---- TM Stealth+ 15*... TBD

TM Stealth Rescue 19*... Accra FX300 90x

Mizuno 223 4 - PW... KBS $-Taper 125 ---- Srixon ZX7 4 - PW... Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 115tx ---- New Level PF-1 Black 4-P ... Accra iSteel 125

Mizuno T22 50*, 55*, 59*... KBS $-Taper 125 ---- Corey Paul wedges 52 , 56 , 60 ... Accra iSteel 125

Scotty Phantom x9.5 Triple Black ---- Scotty Newport 2 Champions Choice ... LAGP TPZ USA Ryder cup edition

Vessel Players Stand 2.0

Bridgestone Tour B XS

On 11/5/2021 at 11:18 AM, LeoLeo99 said:

The Epic MAX LS is one of the most forgiving “players” drivers that have recently come out onto the market. This is a result of Callaway’s efforts to maintain a respectable amount of MOI in the driver head (more than 8400) while still giving low-handicappers and Tour players the spin performance they expect.

The bar for forgiveness is set high off the bat because of the Jailbreak Frame and Flash Face, which both help minimize the negative effects of a mis-hit.

As expected, the MAX LS falls in between the MAX and Speed in terms of forgiveness. The flight pattern is very consistent, even if you miss the sweet spot.

You could even say that the Epic MAX LS driver has a bit of a fade bias (up to 13 yards or so), making it ideal for golfers who traditionally struggle with hooks or unwanted draws. Of course, the sliding sole weight can be used to add that extra bit of stability and forgiveness if desired.

For me, you do not need to move the weight much to effect bias - this was the biggest surprise. I only wished they could have dumped a screw on the front ala Epic Flash Sub Zero. Now, that, would have made this head perfect. For now, I got a 4gm lead tape there but I may consider hot melt...

Other heads that I have...

OG Sim Max, fade bias.

Sim 2, definitely fade bias.

Taylormade Sim 2, Fujikura Ventus Velocore Black 6-S tipped 1", Top Golf All-Fit Universal adapter

Callaway Epic Max LS, Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60 stiff, Top Golf All-Fit Universal adapter
Fairways: Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft, Honma 737 18* 5 wood
Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 18*

Irons:       Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW with KBS TGI 95/100 shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* KBS TGI 100 shaft. Cleveland Full Face 56* with Catalyst 100 shaft.
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft

Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with BGT Stability shaft
#1 Callaway Chromesoft X LS, #2 Srixon XV 5/6

Single Plane swing

Save a bit of money..........

Mizuno MP600, will not go left.

Mizuno MP650, is unlikely to go left and is better looking.

Ping i15, a beast and will only go right. Even the hosel was specially designed to ensure a fade bias.

Edited by nichho

Callaway Fusion FT-3 9.5 Aldila NVS

Nike VR Pro 18* hybrid Aldila Voodoo SVR8

Cleveland Launcher HB 25* Myazaki 
Miura 501 cb 4-PW KBS Tour 90
Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58
Ping Tyne 4