JPX 921 Forged - who are they for?

jimes

Is anyone shooting low scores with a set of 921f? I’m asking because I’m a 2 cap sweeper with 90mph 7-iron speed and in a recent  indoor fitting the fitter didn’t even offer them to try and ultimately recommended 921 Tour (second place i210). I currently play iE1 w/Project X 6.0 and just want a change, especially a shaft change. To my eye 921 Forged look perfect; just the right size, well hidden offset, great looking bounce/sole width (speculation since I never hit them at all let alone on real grass). Should I proceed with i210’s?  I don’t really like the Tours... something about them psychologically plus worried about the sole config for the soft conditions where I play. I would love to know if other low 70’s shooters are playing 921 Forged. 

Edited by jimes
Typo in title
  • Haha 1
PING G425 Max 9* @ 7.5* PING Tour 65s
PING G425 Max 3w PING Tour 75s
PING G430 Max 7w PING Tour 75s
PING G425 22 PING Tour 85s
PING iBlade 4-pw DG XP95 S300
PING Glide 3.0 50s, 54s, 58s
PING Sigma 2 Tyne 4

Get what you like. The head isn't as important as the shaft you were fit for. But you aren't paying me anything, so there is that.

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

I played a set of 919 tours for a year and a half.  My brother was just fitted with the 921 forged, I swung them last weekend and enjoyed them.  Easier to hit than my tours.  My old mp15’s just kicked my 919s out of the bag. 

Im currently looking at the mp20 mmc’s, new level PF2’s and the 921 forgeds.  Need to go swing all of them on a monitor outside on grass before I make a decision 

Edited by Phabs
  • Like 1

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

5 minutes ago, Phabs said:

I played a set of 919 tours for a year and a half.  My brother was just fitted with the 921 forged, I swung them last weekend and enjoyed them.  Easier to hit than my tours.  My old mp15’s just kicked my 919s out of the bag. 

Im currently looking at the mp20 mmc’s, new level PF2’s and the 921 forgeds.  Need to go swing all of them on a monitor outside on grass before I make a decision 

I’ve looked at the MMC’s as well but never hit them. I would like to hear your feedback if/when you get to test them all. Outdoor fitting and testing options are slim to none where I live and the courses aren’t open for the season yet. 

I like an iron that has good east-west dispersion (like my pings). I get the feeling the fitter steered we away from 921 F because the north/south/distance control dispersion wouldn’t be as good as the Tours or i210. 

PING Sigma 2 Tyne 4

4 minutes ago, jimes said:

I’ve looked at the MMC’s as well but never hit them. I would like to hear your feedback if/when you get to test them all. Outdoor fitting and testing options are slim to none where I live and the courses aren’t open for the season yet. 

I like an iron that has good east-west dispersion (like my pings). I get the feeling the fitter steered we away from 921 F because the north/south/distance control dispersion wouldn’t be as good as the Tours or i210. 

I’ve got a good buddy I played college golf with that just picked up a set of MP20’s and he loves them, which is what made me look at them.  I’ll try and remember to update you once I get a chance to get the three irons mentioned above out on the range with some data. 

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

Got the 921 forged a few months ago.  I’m a 4 cap sweeper. These clubs are everything I hoped for. Previously had Callaway Apex. The Mizuno 7 iron is 3-5 yards longer, and spin increased about 20% - holding greens better. The Mizuno shaft optimizer is the real deal. I landed on the Nippon Modus 120 stiff. Definitely improved proximity to pin.

Perfect balance of distance, accuracy and feel. Handicap dropped from 6 to 4 since I got them. 

• Like 4

I have the MMCs. I really really like them. My 7 iron swing speed is lower than the OPs at 85mph. I feel like Ive gained distance with the MMC longer irons because of the tungsten. There is tungsten in the 4-7 irons. They feel great on well struck shots and my distance isnt hurt too bad when I hit the toe (my main miss). They are a little smaller than the Forged.

I would think they are for anyone that wants to play them. I have i200's now and if I wanted to switch to Mizuno personally I like the size and shape of the forged over the tours. I just get a bit more confidence from the size of the forged.

• Like 1

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Callaway mavrik max 3 & 5 wood
Ping g30  26* & 30* hybrids
Ping i200 6 - UW

Ping glide 54* & 60* wedges
Odyssey #7 putter

• jimes changed the title to JPX 921 Forged - who are they for?
6 hours ago, jimes said:

Is anyone shooting low scores with a set of 921f? I’m asking because I’m a 2 cap sweeper with 90mph 7-iron speed and in a recent  indoor fitting the fitter didn’t even offer them to try and ultimately recommended 921 Tour (second place i210). I currently play iE1 w/Project X 6.0 and just want a change, especially a shaft change. To my eye 921 Forged look perfect; just the right size, well hidden offset, great looking bounce/sole width (speculation since I never hit them at all let alone on real grass). Should I proceed with i210’s?  I don’t really like the Tours... something about them psychologically plus worried about the sole config for the soft conditions where I play. I would love to know if other low 70’s shooters are playing 921 Forged. 

I've heard nothing but good about the Forged ... but I play the HMB's. The copper layer enhances feel.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I have two friends of mine, one plays on the MacKenzie Tour and the other is another plus handicap, and they both went from mp20 blades to the 921 forged. Both have their sets a bit weaker in loft but love them. Say they are very workable and have a great feel. Makes me want to take a look at them.

• Like 4

Dr. Sim2 8° w/ RDX blue 60 6.5

3 Wood. Sim2 15° and 19° w/ Diamana 70x

Ui. Callaway x forged ut 21° w/ dg120 x100

4 to GW. Mizuno Pro 223 w/ dg120 x100

SW and Lw. 54° and 58° Milled grind raw w/ dg s200

Putter. Odyssey OG 1ws, 33 inches

Ball. Taylormade TP5x

The 921F are great. I’m a sweeper with 88 mph CHS with 7i. The 4i-7i are generously portioned without being too large. The chromoly gives them some pop but not a ridiculous amount or at the expense of losing scads of spin. The 8i-GW are just money. Feel, accuracy and plenty friendly. 

MMC’s are going to be closer to the 921T in their playing characteristics. 

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

I personally think anyone can play anything... a  low handi can play gi irons and a high handi can play players or even blades maybe. Both handis can be the equal iron striker but maybe the high handi is a terrible putter, chipper or driver. The forged are said to be fitting to anyone that plays which is nice. A middle of the pack iron. I play mp 20 MMC's and before i played them i had doubts but i have shot my lowest scores to date with them. They are an ultimate iron to me. Anything i ask of them can be achieved and if my swing is a little off for a round they are definetly there to help me out. All that in a small package is quite stunning. Distance drop off is really minimal... 5 to 8 yards at most id say... most strikes off center end up really well though. Feel? Fohget aboutit... buttah. Even low groove strikes has it smelling like dinners ready.

• Like 1

OP here. I’m generally in the camp of “anyone can play anything” and feel most rockets and flyers are more lie related not springy clubface problems.  Nice to hear people are having success with them including a couple examples of pros or +caps playing them. I haven’t seen them in any pros WITB’s but that’s not necessarily a turnoff. I know i210s will work but I’ve played i20 and iE1 for the last 10+ years and itching for a change of scenery. Ping order time has me looking around but don’t want to take a step backwards. It’s an expensive experiment (especially here in Canada) and the long order times are not helping. 

Edited by jimes
PING Sigma 2 Tyne 4

Mizuno says 14 cap and below for a jumping off point. I play the 919F just because I find them more aesthetically pleasing than the 921F. Basically the same heads IMO. I’m a 10 and absolutely love them. For me the Forged are a perfect combination of looks, playability and forgiveness. I haven’t seen or hit a head I like better. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TiScape said:

Mizuno says 14 cap and below for a jumping off point. I play the 919F just because I find them more aesthetically pleasing than the 921F. Basically the same heads IMO. I’m a 10 and absolutely love them. For me the Forged are a perfect combination of looks, playability and forgiveness. I haven’t seen or hit a head I like better. 

Not the same heads - 4-7i are Forged Chromoly in the 921F. Personally, I find the MP-20 HMB more forgiving than the 919F, which I did play.

Edited by SwingMan
  • Like 1

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

45 minutes ago, SwingMan said:

Not the same heads - 4-7i are Forged Chromoly in the 921F. Personally, I find the MP-20 HMB more forgiving than the 919F, which I did play.

Felt the same to me. As far as HMB being more forgiving than Forged. Mizuno list HMB as 12 handi and down and Forged as 14 and down. But splitting hairs IMO. I have the HMB 3i. For me the Forged feels better and distance is more consistent. I’ll get random long balls w/the HMB. Which is ok as I primarily use it as a DI. 

One more question before my topic dies off. Has anyone purchased then dumped 921 Forged because they didn’t work for them? Bonus question, any direct comparisons to King Tour, i210, V6 Tour, T100s or even a couple of the hollow bodies (p770, Apex Pro)? Thanks for all the feedback. 

PING Sigma 2 Tyne 4

I switched this year from 712MB to 921F.  Played to a 3.8 last year with the MBs, shot 75 in my first loop with the 921F with guessed yardages 🙂  swill waiting on a calm day to dial in the gaps. 

I tried lots of irons from more blades to tour irons to players cb to these and some hollow bodies over several weeks.  Ultimately the reason I was searching for new irons is my 3 and 4 irons were going about the same distance so it was either add hybrids or change irons to fix the issue (just can't generate the ball speed in the longer irons with my limited practice time.  My take after about a month of testing:

My original intent was to get the T100 as it would be the natural progression in a step back from blades (think AP2).  I was able to hit 7i and also 4i in my fitted shaft, and saw good dispersion and distance control/consistency but still was having to work pretty hard to generate the launch and ball speed I needed to maintain the 4i target distance I need for my game.  Coupled that with the head size being similar to the MBs I was replacing I kept them in my top 5 but not the front runner it was before I hit them.  Sweet feeling irons for sure, just not quit what I was hunting for.

My second change to test was actually several of my top contenders.  921tour, P7mc, 770, King Tour MIM, MP20MMC, i210 and i500.  My initial reaction to hitting all of these was the Taylormades were super sweet in the feel department, and I was actually able to hit some 3i and 4i in the 770 to get an idea of what a 770/7MC/7MB blended set would be like.  Learned that hollow designs are not quite for me yet as my gap between the 4i 770 and 5i7mc was greater than loft adjustments would fix.  I confirmed this after hitting the i500....hollow no good for me, just too hot overall but especially on pured shots.  The 921tour was similar results to the T100, although much softer feeling.  Still not much of a change from the MBs i was replacing so they were also left in my top5.  The King Tour MIM were good but not great, lacked feel for me.  The i210 felt great and had good numbers for the irons I got to hit, but didn't quite suit my eye.  The P7MC was also great to hit but kind of a repeat of the T100/921tour, as well as the MMC.

So at this point we have T100, 921tour, P7mc in my top5.  The other two were 620cb and MMC.  Pretty much all of them a little more forgiving than the MBs, but similar in size and not really fixing my main reason to change.

My last testing session I worked with the fitter in detail about what i'd hit to that point and told him just feed me clubs, don't tell me what they are.  So my final round testing was more or less blind.  He set up 4 heads on the same shaft and swapped them in and out randomly.  I eliminated one immediately on looks, too much offset (T200).  One was eliminated on feel after two rounds (Apex Pro 21), leaving me two to choose from.  Both felt phenomenal, and looked very pleasing.  Minimal offset in the longs, perfect in the mids and shorts.  The ultimate winner came down to launch/spin/apex etc as even with a couple different shafts one would balloon on me a but in the 4 and 5 irons (Srixon ZX7).  Ultimate winner of that session was the 921 forged....one I personally had not even considered before hand.  

I was still hitting well, he let me test the now known 921f against the T100 and the P7mc, the favorites from my earlier testing.  The 921f beat them both so I ordered them in 4-PW with Nippon Modus 120 stiff, and added a 19* CLK as a 3iron.  

Stupid happy with them since I got them.  I have plenty of control over trajectory both up/down and left/right, good distance control, and tons of confident over the ball again.  through 5 rounds I've had only one hot flyer (a 195yard 9iron) that I fully attribute to a flyer lie and a 2 club tail wind....every other iron shot I've hit even moderately well with these has gone its expected distance, to the tune of 75-73-73-72-70 in my first 5 rounds with them.  

Long story short....yes the 921 forged are just about perfect for this 4ish hdcp. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As a side note, the SEL do look interesting. 

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

I play a mixed set of 4-6 921F and 7-PW 921T.  I went with the Mizuno recommendation of 1 degree week for the forged and 2 strong for the tour, which leaves 3-4 degrees of gaps throughout the set.  So far the launch windows and yardages have been where I want them- but we'll see when things warm up.  (They also match the stock lofts of the 850 Forged I was coming from). 

The question for me ultimately was where to split the set, either at the 5 or the 6.  For a variety of reasons (some technical/objective, some totally subjective), split after the 6.  Couldn't be happier- I'm not trying to do too much with the 4/5/6 other than hit the right yardage with a relatively straight shot, and I feel like I can do that with the forged without having to go fully after it every shot. 

For reference, here's some numbers from an indoor gapping session right after I received the set in Feb.  Was getting a little steeper than I am typically, but good way to illustrate you can effectively combine the tour with the forged: 

image.png.226aabf9cfb5dc3ec8d80166768882b6.png

image.png.33e55fcd19b1c1885dcc3928f6cef834.png

Edited by cookout14
  • Like 2

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR

Titleist TSr2+ Ventus TR

Titleist TSr3 18 Ventus TR

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-6 | Tour 7-PW $-Taper

Mizuno T20 50/54/58 $-Taper

SC Phantom X 5.5 / Bettinardi Tour Exempt LN BB1

2 hours ago, STL_Baller said:

I switched this year from 712MB to 921F.  Played to a 3.8 last year with the MBs, shot 75 in my first loop with the 921F with guessed yardages 🙂  swill waiting on a calm day to dial in the gaps. 

I tried lots of irons from more blades to tour irons to players cb to these and some hollow bodies over several weeks.  Ultimately the reason I was searching for new irons is my 3 and 4 irons were going about the same distance so it was either add hybrids or change irons to fix the issue (just can't generate the ball speed in the longer irons with my limited practice time.  My take after about a month of testing:

My original intent was to get the T100 as it would be the natural progression in a step back from blades (think AP2).  I was able to hit 7i and also 4i in my fitted shaft, and saw good dispersion and distance control/consistency but still was having to work pretty hard to generate the launch and ball speed I needed to maintain the 4i target distance I need for my game.  Coupled that with the head size being similar to the MBs I was replacing I kept them in my top 5 but not the front runner it was before I hit them.  Sweet feeling irons for sure, just not quit what I was hunting for.

My second change to test was actually several of my top contenders.  921tour, P7mc, 770, King Tour MIM, MP20MMC, i210 and i500.  My initial reaction to hitting all of these was the Taylormades were super sweet in the feel department, and I was actually able to hit some 3i and 4i in the 770 to get an idea of what a 770/7MC/7MB blended set would be like.  Learned that hollow designs are not quite for me yet as my gap between the 4i 770 and 5i7mc was greater than loft adjustments would fix.  I confirmed this after hitting the i500....hollow no good for me, just too hot overall but especially on pured shots.  The 921tour was similar results to the T100, although much softer feeling.  Still not much of a change from the MBs i was replacing so they were also left in my top5.  The King Tour MIM were good but not great, lacked feel for me.  The i210 felt great and had good numbers for the irons I got to hit, but didn't quite suit my eye.  The P7MC was also great to hit but kind of a repeat of the T100/921tour, as well as the MMC.

So at this point we have T100, 921tour, P7mc in my top5.  The other two were 620cb and MMC.  Pretty much all of them a little more forgiving than the MBs, but similar in size and not really fixing my main reason to change.

My last testing session I worked with the fitter in detail about what i'd hit to that point and told him just feed me clubs, don't tell me what they are.  So my final round testing was more or less blind.  He set up 4 heads on the same shaft and swapped them in and out randomly.  I eliminated one immediately on looks, too much offset (T200).  One was eliminated on feel after two rounds (Apex Pro 21), leaving me two to choose from.  Both felt phenomenal, and looked very pleasing.  Minimal offset in the longs, perfect in the mids and shorts.  The ultimate winner came down to launch/spin/apex etc as even with a couple different shafts one would balloon on me a but in the 4 and 5 irons (Srixon ZX7).  Ultimate winner of that session was the 921 forged....one I personally had not even considered before hand.  

I was still hitting well, he let me test the now known 921f against the T100 and the P7mc, the favorites from my earlier testing.  The 921f beat them both so I ordered them in 4-PW with Nippon Modus 120 stiff, and added a 19* CLK as a 3iron.  

Stupid happy with them since I got them.  I have plenty of control over trajectory both up/down and left/right, good distance control, and tons of confident over the ball again.  through 5 rounds I've had only one hot flyer (a 195yard 9iron) that I fully attribute to a flyer lie and a 2 club tail wind....every other iron shot I've hit even moderately well with these has gone its expected distance, to the tune of 75-73-73-72-70 in my first 5 rounds with them.  

Long story short....yes the 921 forged are just about perfect for this 4ish hdcp. 

STL_Baller, thanks for the detailed reply, this is exactly the info I was hoping to get on the topic. My yardages start to bunch up in the 3,4,5 irons in my current set but I blame some of that on the shaft -PX 6.0. I fit into DG 120 S300 this time around. The fitter also liked PX LZ 6.0 for me but I felt they wanted to go left and just didn’t like them. 3 iron is all the way out since it’s too low and hot to hold a green. 

You touched on pretty much every iron I’ve considered. I’ve done one indoor fitting and hit most of them (not the 921 Forged unfortunately) and agree with a lot of your findings especially the hollow irons. 2 years ago I had a split set of iBlade / i500 and had to ditch them because I HATED the i500 (4,5iron). 770 and Apex Pro felt much better but still not for me. I love the look and and feel of both the P7MC and 921 Tour but not a sensible choice for me as they don’t inspire much confidence. Assuming MMC falls into the same category. I felt the same way about T100  it haven’t ruled them out. 

i would love to do the type of fitting you’re describing but that just isn’t available here. I have a couple indoor fitting options (7-iron only) and outdoor demo days once the courses open. My top choices are 921 Forged and i210, with 921 Tour, T100 and King Tour as second tier options. 

Edited by jimes
PING Sigma 2 Tyne 4

1 hour ago, cookout14 said:

I play a mixed set of 4-6 921F and 7-PW 921T.  I went with the Mizuno recommendation of 1 degree week for the forged and 2 strong for the tour, which leaves 3-4 degrees of gaps throughout the set.  So far the launch windows and yardages have been where I want them- but we'll see when things warm up.  (They also match the stock lofts of the 850 Forged I was coming from). 

The question for me ultimately was where to split the set, either at the 5 or the 6.  For a variety of reasons (some technical/objective, some totally subjective), split after the 6.  Couldn't be happier- I'm not trying to do too much with the 4/5/6 other than hit the right yardage with a relatively straight shot, and I feel like I can do that with the forged without having to go fully after it every shot. 

For reference, here's some numbers from an indoor gapping session right after I received the set in Feb.  Was getting a little steeper than I am typically, but good way to illustrate you can effectively combine the tour with the forged: 

image.png.226aabf9cfb5dc3ec8d80166768882b6.png

image.png.33e55fcd19b1c1885dcc3928f6cef834.png

Thanks for sharing your numbers. Small sample size but the consistency of the 921f 6-iron looks very promising. Are you seeing the same 21yd gap out on the course too? Im probably not going to go with a split set but nice to know it’s and option. Maybe a more forgiving 4-iron if I choose one the more demanding heads. 

PING Sigma 2 Tyne 4

23 minutes ago, jimes said:

Thanks for sharing your numbers. Small sample size but the consistency of the 921f 6-iron looks very promising. Are you seeing the same 21yd gap out on the course too? Im probably not going to go with a split set but nice to know it’s and option. Maybe a more forgiving 4-iron if I choose one the more demanding heads. 

I'm not!  I'm hoping for a ~15 yd gap, with my old carry numbers being 175/190, but looks like the 921's will be a bit longer for both.  I'm in DC, so the weather is just starting to get warm enough to get a good sense of what a typical number in reality will be.  That said, here's the 7 iron from a week later (different trackman):  fixed the steepness, got more used to the new shafts (went from C-Taper to $-Taper), and just got better contact.  Didn't hit the 6 iron that session, but IRL it's been a model of consistency. 

image.png.e16be6a00383fcdfb6cba67c40367c90.png

image.png.1060f100aa84dc91fda09cbf9ce1ac6b.png

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR

Titleist TSr2+ Ventus TR

Titleist TSr3 18 Ventus TR

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-6 | Tour 7-PW $-Taper

Mizuno T20 50/54/58 $-Taper

SC Phantom X 5.5 / Bettinardi Tour Exempt LN BB1

On 4/3/2021 at 5:46 PM, Phabs said:

Just get the MMCs and enjoy the perfect iron. 

I am playing the 921 forged coming from the MP18 MMCs.  To be honest there is only a slight difference between these two sets. In my head the 921 forged are more forgiving so for now they are staying in the bag but I like the feel of the MP MMCs at impact more.  Distance wise they are fairly equal. 

They will stay in the bag for now as my GIRs have gone up since the switch but as most GolfWRXers I am "not happy" and feel like there is something missing with these. I have a disease 

• Like 1

I would definitely push to try to hit them. I love mine, perfect combo of workability and forgiveness. I switched from my I-blades and the 921f are slightly more forgiving but still workable when needed. But for reference I don't sweep my irons. For some reason I don't get along with the 210s. I'm an 8 hcp, it would be lower if not for my driver. The 921f have a great feel and consistent distance. 

• Like 1

TM Sim 8* : Tensei Pro Orange TX

TM M5 3wd: Tensei CV Orange stiff

TM Sim 3 hybrid: Ventus Blue stiff

4-6 Mizuno 921 Pro: KBS Tour S+

7-PW Mizuno 921 Forged: KBS Tour S+

Titleist blacked out SM7s, 50-54-58 stiff

TM spider X 36"

37 minutes ago, wfrogge1 said:

I am playing the 921 forged coming from the MP18 MMCs.  To be honest there is only a slight difference between these two sets. In my head the 921 forged are more forgiving so for now they are staying in the bag but I like the feel of the MP MMCs at impact more.  Distance wise they are fairly equal. 

They will stay in the bag for now as my GIRs have gone up since the switch but as most GolfWRXers I am "not happy" and feel like there is something missing with these. I have a disease 

That’s how I feel about the 921F. I’ve had some really good rounds with them but to me, they feel ok and distance & forgiveness isn’t that different from J15 CB. Could be the shaft also but if I can do it over, I’d go with the 921 Tours 6-GW and HMP 4 & 5. I watched a review online that said there wasn’t much separation between the 921 series and that seems accurate to me. 

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH