Unpopular Equipment Opinions

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just don’t get along with those Sun Mountain putters

I wish Karsten was still alive so that Scotty could come up with some unique putter designs.

(don't say it....no I'm gonna do it). you're not good enough to care this much about equipment      lol.          

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, rsiehr said:

At least you have a coping mechanism 😀

Trying to find something other than food as a coping mechanism.

Lefty

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - Kingdom Putter - SIK Pro Tour Proto - and more. 

WITB Thread

On 4/9/2021 at 11:52 PM, longjohnpeter said:

The "dial the ball back" crowd need to be drawn and quartered. 

Scoring averages today have dropped by less than two strokes since the 90s. 

A certain big cat changed the way players train and prepare.

Players today are flat out better than they used to be. Get over yourselves.

@longjohnpeterhit the nail on the head with this one (above). 

I love golf

Buying a driver based on the results of a website getting lots of people to hit thousands of balls is pointless and won't mean you end up with the best driver for you.

• Like 3

Driver - SIM Max Europe Edition

5W / 4H / 5H - Ping G410

3i - TM SIM

Irons - Srixon ZX7 

Wedges - T20

Bettinardi QB8, Stability Shaft

On 4/30/2021 at 8:07 AM, llamont said:

@longjohnpeterhit the nail on the head with this one (above). 

Didn’t see this one till now, but I have to disagree. Dial back the ball, restrict COR, whatever, I don’t mean to argue about the specific implementation but I strongly believe in the principle that something needs to change. It’s not because of the average strokes dropping (but by the way, two strokes, if that is true, is an enormous drop), but rather the need for courses to be longer and the increase in playing time that accompanies that increase. That is a huge problem.

• Like 4
46 minutes ago, rsiehr said:

Didn’t see this one till now, but I have to disagree. Dial back the ball, restrict COR, whatever, I don’t mean to argue about the specific implementation but I strongly believe in the principle that something needs to change. It’s not because of the average strokes dropping (but by the way, two strokes, if that is true, is an enormous drop), but rather the need for courses to be longer and the increase in playing time that accompanies that increase. That is a huge problem.

I appreciate the diversity of opinion so no argument taken 😉. The game’s ruling bodies have implemented limits on COR and grooves in the past. Players just learn to perform around those limits. Driving distance averages have increased amongst the entire field whereas 20+ years ago it was a fraction of players hitting the long ball. My opinion is that a majority of today’s players focus on athleticism and fitness when training. It’s not just the range, course, and Chaise Lounge in the sports psychologist’s office anymore... They’re in the gym working out like the other big sports and they’re yoked. And they’re doing this from younger ages. Combine that with the advances in equipment over the last 20 years and here we are. I think course setup is a big factor. There was a time when rough was actually rough. Not that there aren’t courses out there but I think the issue is much deeper than simply adjusting the equipment used to play the game. 

• Like 1
I love golf

I don’t understand the fascination with black steel iron shafts. 

Titleist would sell a lot more T series irons if the backs didn’t look like Transformers. 

Never met a hybrid I couldn’t hook. 

A perfect round would be 15 holes long. 

I want a snack donkey. Starting a campaign to being them back.  Who’s with me?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, llamont said:

I appreciate the diversity of opinion so no argument taken 😉. The game’s ruling bodies have implemented limits on COR and grooves in the past. Players just learn to perform around those limits. Driving distance averages have increased amongst the entire field whereas 20+ years ago it was a fraction of players hitting the long ball. My opinion is that a majority of today’s players focus on athleticism and fitness when training. It’s not just the range, course, and Chaise Lounge in the sports psychologist’s office anymore... They’re in the gym working out like the other big sports and they’re yoked. And they’re doing this from younger ages. Combine that with the advances in equipment over the last 20 years and here we are. I think course setup is a big factor. There was a time when rough was actually rough. Not that there aren’t courses out there but I think the issue is much deeper than simply adjusting the equipment used to play the game. 

I agree that the factors you cite are largely responsible. The question is what do we do about it? If twenty years from now courses have to be over 8000 for pros and 7500 for good amateurs, golf’s pace of play problem is only going to get worse. For the pros, I absolutely agree, get the rough longer, but for the rest of us, that only increases playing time more.

The best solution I can come up with for the pros, is to limit the size and moi of woods. That will at least make the decision to try to hit it 350 more of a cost benefit analysis because missed will be more wayward. It’s also not as drastic a change as the ball.

10 hours ago, rsiehr said:

but rather the need for courses to be longer and the increase in playing time that accompanies that increase. That is a huge problem.

Length of courses is at the bottom of 50 things contributing to pace of play problems.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex, Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

10 hours ago, rsiehr said:

It’s not because of the average strokes dropping (but by the way, two strokes, if that is true, is an enormous drop), but rather the need for courses to be longer and the increase in playing time that accompanies that increase. That is a huge problem.

They pointed out on the broadcast yesterday how much swing speeds have increased in the last few years. It has nothing to do with the ball, everyone is just swinging much faster.

98% of "regular" golfers wish they could hit it farther, and people want to dial the ball back??

Nike VR Pro Limited Edition 10.5° - Aldila RIP Phenom 70S
Nike VR Pro Limited Edition 15° 3W - Attas Coool 6S
Bridgestone Tour B XD-H 2H 18° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 S

Bridgestone Tour B XD-H 3H 21° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 X
Nike VR Pro Blades 3-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White S300 Onyx

Nike VR Pro 52°-10° Raw Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 Onyx
Nike VR Pro 58° DS Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 Onyx
Grips - Number One 50 Pro Series

Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport
Srixon Q Star Tour

11 hours ago, GatorNate11 said:

Would the snack donkey be an extra tacked onto the green fee, or must I provide my own donkey? I already have an entire idea with a donkey and the Kentucky derby so I'm all for this one also

We’d probably need @Drivingrangehero to find and share the original film footage to determine best practices. Downside of a snack donkey, there would be additional course hazards to navigate. Upside, their exhaust can’t be any worse smelling than the gas snack carts. 

9 hours ago, fixurpitch said:

We’d probably need @Drivingrangehero to find and share the original film footage to determine best practices. Downside of a snack donkey, there would be additional course hazards to navigate. Upside, their exhaust can’t be any worse smelling than the gas snack carts. 

I've compared the way I play to that of a donkey's exhaust pollution so it would be fairly fitting tbh

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, fixurpitch said:

😂,I think my Aunt may still have the old projector film 📽 

Apparently the donkey was common back then, probably the 1940’s and earlier.

I found some bits in the inter-web, so it wasn’t just a local/regional thing 

http://www.ardmoregolfcourse.com/history-of-ardmore.html

I figured I’d go with the niblick, but perhaps a mashie is best, what say you buddy......”HEE-HAW” 😝 

B3FDD56A-90DC-4CA6-B82D-D901FE658BF7.jpeg

Edited by Drivingrangehero
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, just_steveu said:

I am gonna put a really unpopular one out there! I am so sick of hearing about pace of play..... I've been playing for over 30 years and (in my experience) the time to play 18 has averaged 4-4.5 hours over that entire time - walking or riding - unless the course was empty. If the management is stuffing as many golfers onto the course as they possibly can, then I expect it to be a bit slower. I want to enjoy my round, I am not in a hurry to complete my round and rush off to something else. Now if a course gets stacked two foursomes deep waiting for the group on the tee for a par 4 I'm probably leaving.

Just to add to it, when I was younger and much longer off the tee I had some of you perpetually hurried yahoos try to pressure me to tee of because YOU couldn't reach the group ahead (but I definitely could). Usually only took seeing one tee shot to make them back off.  Those a******* that didn't ease off, we offered to let them play through and I told them to put their hard hat on if they did..... 

Which part were you thinking was unpopular?

• Like 1
On 5/1/2021 at 9:19 PM, llamont said:

I’ll chime in on this conversation real quick. I also think what we have seen the past say 5-10 years is that the young up and comers on tour all grew up on modern equipment. They’ve learned their whole lives how to move the club faster. When I started golf everything was heavy. The woods were wood, x100 shafts in woods. The swing required to move those clubs was different than the modern golf clubs, especially the driver. I was way long with a persimmon driver and honestly I don’t think it ever really transferred to modern equipment. At damn near 50 I’m just barely learning to use the modern equipment more efficiently and I’m seeing a bit of a distance gain again. These kids learned to swing these new clubs FAST from a young age and it’s all they know. There was never a huge change in equipment during their playing lives. 

• Like 2

SRIXON ZX5 9.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 60X.                                              SRIXON ZX 13.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 70X                                               SRIXON H85 16 MATRIX BLACKTIE 95 SRIXON Z FORGED 4-PW CATALYST 100 6.5                                   CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0                                        CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0                                         CLEVELAND RTX4 58* CATALYST 100 6.0.                                             SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38” SNELL MTB-X

jacked iron lofts:   It is a very freeing feeling standing on a par 3 tee box when a person asks what club while showing their 7 iron only to show a 6 iron and know that your going to land it closer.

Wedges versus Driver:  I'm guessing handicaps would drop like a rock if they spent the $700 a year on new wedges and switched up the time they spent on their driver versus wedge distances

Putter hoe'ing is a probably a bad thing:  disclaimer currently suffering and don't want to admit the problem, I know that a 45 degree toe hang putter with my specifications fits my stroke and allows me to return the putter to square consistently.  Only practice for consistency and distance control is going to improve my putting.  That said I need to have every type of putter that fits that description from Newport 2's to mid mallets to full mallets, yet you only carry one putter in your bag.

• Thanks 1