2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Unpopular Equipment Opinions

karstens_ghost

Vessel bags are overrated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 Hybrid 19*, Ventus Blue HB 9X  /or/  Titleist TSR2 7W 21*, Tensei Black 75X

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

On 6/4/2021 at 2:45 PM, jholz said:

Bonded woods/hybrids rule!

Adjustability is only useful if you like to switch/test shafts often. 

Hey @karstens_ghost, sorry my "Unpopular Equipment Opinion" was unpopular with you. I thought that was the point. 😃

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

3 minutes ago, 2Down said:

Bad shot results I’ve learned.

tomahawking a club carries a higher risk of club damage than a helicopter.  

helicopters fly farther on average.   

tomahawk is more accurate.  

always throw things the direction you are walking.   And again a tomahawk will be closer to your line and help speed up play.   

You'd be surprised at the numbers of golfer who don't understand or refuse to believe these basic truths.

• Like 3

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

1 hour ago, Mudguard said:

I'm pretty sure none of us using the claw or reverse actually wants to. Wait until you hit a thirty foot putt ten feet short and ten feet left because your hands have a mind of their own just before impact. It is the worst. 

I get that. It’s a cry for help. I’ve had full swing yips so I get it. 

4 hours ago, 2Down said:

Bad shot results I’ve learned.

tomahawking a club carries a higher risk of club damage than a helicopter.  

helicopters fly farther on average.   

tomahawk is more accurate.  

always throw things the direction you are walking.   And again a tomahawk will be closer to your line and help speed up play.   

While I do agree whole heartedly, I will say, in a pure distance contest (and let's be honest it's all about the distance on GolfWRX right?) a tomahawk with the right bounce will win all day long over the helicopter which sits and stops typically.  If you catch a tomahawk just right on that first bounce preferably in the fairway, it's going for days. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mudguard said:

I'm pretty sure none of us using the claw or reverse actually wants to. Wait until you hit a thirty foot putt ten feet short and ten feet left because your hands have a mind of their own just before impact. It is the worst. 

I definitely didn't want to switch to the claw but then I saw the difference right away in a fitting and then my putting has become my strongest part of my game again, before 36 putts in a round was a great day now 36 putts for me is a bad day.

Don't care what others say my "cry for help" has made me a better putter than most people along with practice too. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

3 hours ago, MattM97 said:

I definitely didn't want to switch to the claw but then I saw the difference right away in a fitting and then my putting has become my strongest part of my game again, before 36 putts in a round was a great day now 36 putts for me is a bad day.

Don't care what others say my "cry for help" has made me a better putter than most people along with practice too. 

I’m not disparaging having the yips and finding a cure. That’s awesome. 

it’s not derogatory at all. 

but I stand by super strokes being hot garbage. Anything that wears quickly is trash. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, callawayjay said:

I’m not disparaging having the yips and finding a cure. That’s awesome. 

it’s not derogatory at all. 

but I stand by super strokes being hot garbage. Anything that wears quickly is trash. 

I didn't see the SS part but yeah I agree with that too. I have a Flatso 2.0 on a putter that gets mainly carpet use now and the grip is no joke falling apart and I think I gamed it with this grip once. I have 3 more SS grips in my grip pile but I doubt they'll get use on a gamer. So many other good grips out there even for claw users.

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

10 hours ago, jholz said:

Hey @karstens_ghost, sorry my "Unpopular Equipment Opinion" was unpopular with you. I thought that was the point. 😃

Exactly!

I still tilt my head at it, but I love it. 🙂

• Like 1

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

To further expand upon the points of both @2Down and @timbo08, I would like to mention to not forget environmental factors. If the wind is up, a tomahawk will slice through the wind, largely unaffected by it. If you prefer a helicopter, you really want to flatten out that toss and drive it out there low. If you do that, you'll have no issues in anything up to at least 25mph winds. For extra distance, throw the helicopter so that, much like its namesake, it's rising as it comes out of your hands. This increases the chance of getting a good first bounce to add some distance to the toss. I spent a lot of time thoroughly researching and testing this information and believe it to be accurate. 

If you couldn't care less about your equipment, never count out landing that sucker smooth on the cart path. That can REALLY net you some distance gains. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, GatorNate11 said:

To further expand upon the points of both @2Down and @timbo08, I would like to mention to not forget environmental factors. If the wind is up, a tomahawk will slice through the wind, largely unaffected by it. If you prefer a helicopter, you really want to flatten out that toss and drive it out there low. If you do that, you'll have no issues in anything up to at least 25mph winds. For extra distance, throw the helicopter so that, much like its namesake, it's rising as it comes out of your hands. This increases the chance of getting a good first bounce to add some distance to the toss. I spent a lot of time thoroughly researching and testing this information and believe it to be accurate. 

If you couldn't care less about your equipment, never count out landing that sucker smooth on the cart path. That can REALLY net you some distance gains. 

Riding the wind with the helicopter is a veteran move, impressive. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, RichieHunt said:

I think 'jacked up lofts' are good for the vast majority of golfers, even Tour players.

I'd like to hear more about this. I've heard all the arguments against jacked lofts, most of which boil down to jacked lofts being a way to play to amateur golfer's egos about how far they hit the ball and to make room in the loft gapping for expensive specialty wedges. I've also heard the counter-argument which is usually "it's no big deal; who cares what it says on the bottom of the club as long as you hit it well?", and the argument "well the clubs are designed to launch high so they HAVE to jack the lofts"...

I've never heard anyone say they're a 'good' thing. I assume there is some argument to be made for you to say that, and I'm wondering what it is...

• Like 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

1 hour ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

I'd like to hear more about this. I've heard all the arguments against jacked lofts, most of which boil down to jacked lofts being a way to play to amateur golfer's egos about how far they hit the ball and to make room in the loft gapping for expensive specialty wedges. I've also heard the counter-argument which is usually "it's no big deal; who cares what it says on the bottom of the club as long as you hit it well?", and the argument "well the clubs are designed to launch high so they HAVE to jack the lofts"...

I've never heard anyone say they're a 'good' thing. I assume there is some argument to be made for you to say that, and I'm wondering what it is...

I think a lot of it comes down to attack angle and divot size too. "The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence." Hahaha

You can be a great player with speed and just come in really shallow take no divot so strong lofts get you to the distances your speed would predict instead of popping up into oblivion. 

My biggest gripe is that if EVERY club is strong then NOTHING is strong. Give me some damn options for a steep attack angle that isn't a blade!

Edited by cpang05

1 hour ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

IMO there's really no such thing as a 'jacked up loft.'  It's the launch and spin conditions (along with the speed) you need to get the ball the right distance.

The first iteration of the P790 had a 'jacked up loft' of 45* on the PW.  Yet, I couldn't hit that PW anywhere near as far as I could hit my Srixon Z945 blade PW with a 47* loft.  The CoG was different and that affected everything.  In order to hit that P790 wedge as far as my Srixon blade PW, I probably needed to get that loft closer to 42*.

Bryson talks about this as well as he has 'jacked up lofts' on his irons, but he found that he needed them because he generates more spin and the lower lofts lowers the spin enough to a reason amount.

There's just such a bad stigma about 'jacked up lofts' that what gets lost is the fact that all that matters is that you can properly gap your irons.

RH

7 minutes ago, RichieHunt said:

IMO there's really no such thing as a 'jacked up loft.'  It's the launch and spin conditions (along with the speed) you need to get the ball the right distance.

The first iteration of the P790 had a 'jacked up loft' of 45* on the PW.  Yet, I couldn't hit that PW anywhere near as far as I could hit my Srixon Z945 blade PW with a 47* loft.  The CoG was different and that affected everything.  In order to hit that P790 wedge as far as my Srixon blade PW, I probably needed to get that loft closer to 42*.

Bryson talks about this as well as he has 'jacked up lofts' on his irons, but he found that he needed them because he generates more spin and the lower lofts lowers the spin enough to a reason amount.

There's just such a bad stigma about 'jacked up lofts' that what gets lost is the fact that all that matters is that you can properly gap your irons.

Ok, got it. I disagree that it supports your original statement that jacked lofts were 'good' for most players. If a 42* P790 PW launched and spun like a 47* blade PW, there would be no reason for TM to offer a ~47* GW... If the launch characteristics were the same, you could go straight from a 42-43* "jacked" PW to a traditional 52* wedge with proper gapping, just like you can go from a 47-48* blade PW straight to a traditional 52* wedge with proper gapping. The fact that they need to offer a GW in between suggests that by jacking the lofts, they're creating a "hole" in the bottom of the bag that needs that exact same loft with a different number/letter on it to fill.  

I do agree that all that matters is launch and spin conditions, and proper club gapping. At the end of the day, all that matters is the ability to hit your yardages with the trajectory and spin you want. It doesn't matter what number is on the bottom of the club except to impress your friends with how much farther you hit your ## iron than they hit their ## iron, even if their ## has 3-4 more degrees loft than yours. 

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

14 hours ago, MattM97 said:

I didn't see the SS part but yeah I agree with that too. I have a Flatso 2.0 on a putter that gets mainly carpet use now and the grip is no joke falling apart and I think I gamed it with this grip once. I have 3 more SS grips in my grip pile but I doubt they'll get use on a gamer. So many other good grips out there even for claw users.

Interesting. I have what I'm 90% certain is a fake SS grip that is holding up well on its third season of use.

37 minutes ago, dubbelbogey said:

Interesting. I have what I'm 90% certain is a fake SS grip that is holding up well on its third season of use.

I could have been unlucky, I take good care of my gear so this was a fluke but still not a good fluke. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Buying a fairway wood as easy as getting any ping made in last 20 yrs

Camerons are no better than any quality putter

I can work a hot metal as good as you can an MP 14
Titleist irons are junk

Most of us should have 3 fairway woods and hybrids to the 7/8 iron

• Like 1

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

My unpopular opinion is I do not care how pretty you think your clubs are..... do they function well or not is all that matters

I couldn't give a flying Fahrvergnügen if blades or any club looks cool or not

Now I do understand if clubs "functionally look good" at address and inspire confidence..... that's totally different!!

• Like 1

Can't figure how to like my own posts

On 6/14/2021 at 11:09 AM, RichieHunt said:

I think 'jacked up lofts' are good for the vast majority of golfers, even Tour players.

I think Graphite Design shafts are the most overrated shafts.

I think putter grips are too heavy.

Care to elaborate? 

I can't think of any reason for jacked up lofts. If I used the p790, for example, my new "PW" would fly almost 170. My current GW goes about 135 and I'd need to redo all of my gapping. 

Not arguing with you, I've just had a great experience with the DI. Got it for a good price, too. 

Counter balancing works for a lot of people.

5 hours ago, RichieHunt said:

RH

Ah, didn't see this earlier. I just really don't see the benefit for higher speed players. Flight and spin can be tweaked well enough with shafts. I tested the T100S while I was playing the 718 AP2s. My 7 iron usually goes around 185 with the AP2. I was FLYING the T100S 205. How is one supposed to gap from there? And are there any other tour players who use irons like this who aren't Bryson?