2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Unpopular Equipment Opinions

karstens_ghost

2 minutes ago, smturner1203 said:

Ah, didn't see this earlier. I just really don't see the benefit for higher speed players. Flight and spin can be tweaked well enough with shafts. I tested the T100S while I was playing the 718 AP2s. My 7 iron usually goes around 185 with the AP2. I was FLYING the T100S 205. How is one supposed to gap from there? And are there any other tour players who use irons like this who aren't Bryson? 

Pretty much every tour guy is putting his 7 iron out over 2 bills.

4 minutes ago, smturner1203 said:

Ah, didn't see this earlier. I just really don't see the benefit for higher speed players. Flight and spin can be tweaked well enough with shafts. I tested the T100S while I was playing the 718 AP2s. My 7 iron usually goes around 185 with the AP2. I was FLYING the T100S 205. How is one supposed to gap from there? And are there any other tour players who use irons like this who aren't Bryson? 

Carry 7 wedges, with the lowest-lofted starting at 35*. Duh!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

4 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Really depends on the person? Are you the sort of person who could toss any club at any time? Or are you the sort of person that is only likely to toss a tee club like a driver? 

If you want consistency across the bag, you should probably pay extra for PUREing...

The real question is what is the best swing weight for the helicopter maneuver?  I would think a counter-balanced putter would have better hang time...

Tour Edge c721/HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 3 wood/UST Elements MK
Ping g410 4h Tensei blue, Ping g425 6h Tensei orange

Maltby TS3 6-Gap w/Nippon N.S. Pro 1050GH

SnakeEyes 685BX 52*/Callaway Jaws Raw 58Z

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

Carbon Ringo wide-flange, slant neck, 330 grams

2 hours ago, sm_watts said:

The real question is what is the best swing weight for the helicopter maneuver?  I would think a counter-balanced putter would have better hang time...

Maybe someone with accros in their grips could weigh in with some data to back up how far each club travels when helicoptered???

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

26 minutes ago, capking said:

Btw I had to pass on a bag today that I was going to buy because i didn’t have a callaway club in the bag.

Sometimes the hardest decisions are the best decisions...way to stay strong! 👊🏻

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

The out-of-bounds rule is the most BS rule in all of sports. Imagine if a foul ball in baseball was an automatic strike-out, or pass interference being an automatic touchdown in football. 

Overlay penalizing. Forces conservative shot selection. Extremely hard to recover from.

Edited by RCGA
  • Like 4

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

18 hours ago, smturner1203 said:

I don't know about that. According to Golf.com and Trackman the average PGA Tour 7 iron carry is 172 yards. 

And that’s accurate. The 200 yard 7 iron you see on TV is always wind aided , down hill and usually comes up 2 clubs short.  As in front of a big green. 180-85 I believe a lot of guys. 200 plus. Maybe 5 guys on tour on flat ground with calm wind will fly it that far.  I’m talking in play , not driving range long drive tries. 

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

People pay 2-3x more for 8 extra letters stamped on a putter (Tour Only) when it's just a standard option with extra lipstick. 

Also most tour putters people buy are tour rejects from pros. 

• Like 3

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

18 hours ago, sm_watts said:

I have a friend who was late 20's at the time and after a bad miss launched a 3 iron to the top of the trees (oak trees) with a back hand helicopter throw, very impressive form and never even looked up to see where it went.

I was laughing but his anger was pretty scary.

• Like 1

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

On 4/4/2021 at 4:07 PM, karstens_ghost said:

I have a few:

• I think club stamping looks unprofessional and cheap.
  • Rust isn't a look; it's a dirty club. Get some CLR, would ya!
  • Lead tape might be an experiment, but it looks terrible, and poisonous.

What are your unpopular opinions about equipment?

Fitting is NOT for everyone......anyone over a 12 HDCP doesnt really benefit from club fitting....take lessons instead...i always get kiled over that opinion

Edited by tsecor
  • Like 2

I do believe the offending club was a Mizuno MP 60 and not very old at the time. I always preferred the tomahawk wedge when there was no other option but to punish.

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

On 4/5/2021 at 11:48 AM, JayAreOhh924 said:

Flag distance is irrelevant. Knowing front and where to miss is more important. 

This. I play to front and back yardages. 

Club fitting is OK when you're a 15 and approaching 50 Yrs old and play 1-2 times a week and know your game probably won't change. 

Hazards shouldn't be pristine and manicured. Lose the rakes and just foot swipe. It's a hazard, not a shiatzu. 

• Like 2

I think 150mm LCP should be in the rules at all times.

Edit: That's "six inches" for the Americans in the room. 🙂

Edited by karstens_ghost
6"
  • Like 1

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

On 4/5/2021 at 1:18 PM, JayAreOhh924 said:

Flag distance is irrelevant. Knowing front and where to miss is more important. 

Laser the flag am I know I'm good within a 10y diameter of that. For example, 150y to the flag means anything from 145-155y will work

GPS'ing the front edge with a back flag means I'm still guessing. Probably only slightly more accurate than pacing off yardages from the 150y fairway marker. 

Either way, it would make for an interesting YouTube video.  

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

34 minutes ago, RCGA said:

Laser the flag am I know I'm good within a 10y diameter of that. For example, 150y to the flag means anything from 145-155y will work

GPS'ing the front edge with a back flag means I'm still guessing. Probably only slightly more accurate than pacing off yardages from the 150y fairway marker. 

My GPS gives front, middle, back, automatically.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

20 hours ago, bladehunter said:

And that’s accurate. The 200 yard 7 iron you see on TV is always wind aided , down hill and usually comes up 2 clubs short.  As in front of a big green. 180-85 I believe a lot of guys. 200 plus. Maybe 5 guys on tour on flat ground with calm wind will fly it that far.  I’m talking in play , not driving range long drive tries. 

Also never ever believe the number they tell you on tv. They’re guessing what club a player has in their hands. 

On 6/13/2021 at 6:59 PM, 2bGood said:

Didn't mean to quote.. oops. 

8 hours ago, RCGA said:

For me, at my level, I don't like pin distances. 

Pin is 150 from me. I hit my 8 155. So that's a full 8i, right? But it's a front pin. My 8i lands at 148 just short of the green and because of the slope it's now rolling 10 yards back into the fairway. Or at 150 it's a back pin and I hit my 8 and roll off the back. 

Instead, I take the front and back numbers, try to figure the pin location, and hit what I know will get to the green and what I know won't go off the back of the green. So if we look at the 150 pin.... The front of the green is 145 and the back is 170. My 8 can go 145 to 155 and my 7 can go 155 to 165 or at most 170 with a pure strike. I'm hitting the 7 to make sure I'm on. Last week I played a resort course (Green course in Williamsburg) and I had a few wedge fliers I've never experienced (my 80 yd wedge cleared a 100 yd green) and a several occasions where my math failed me. One hole was 165 to the pin, 150 to the front and 180 to the back. Caught a solid 6I, my 180 max club, and came up 10 yards short of the green. How? I get I'm not great at a 15 HCP, but I know when I hit a ball. Turns out the grass could have been a factor, the fact that I tried to play a spinny ball for the first time, the late day or early day heat and humidity.... either way, knowing the exact flag distance doesn't help me as much as knowing what to get there and what to stay there. 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 1:46 PM, beaney said:

This is the best comment I’ve seen for ages. Love it. 

And presumably as this is WRX, we really need to comment on whether you need to select the best flex shaft to avoid the helicopter getting too spinny and balooning. I wonder if having the shafts pured would also help! 😂😂😂

Sounds like Butch has decided to chime in on the matter.  I think we started something here boys.  https://www.instagram.com/p/CQRhJ6vJ6TR/?utm_medium=copy_link

• Haha 2

On 6/16/2021 at 1:08 PM, tsecor said:

Fitting is NOT for everyone......anyone over a 12 HDCP doesnt really benefit from club fitting....take lessons instead...i always get kiled over that opinion

I totally agree.  The average weekend hacker is not going to magically drop strokes by being custom fit.  You don't need to be custom fit to keep the ball in play and avoid penalty strokes, duffed shots, and 3+ putts.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, timbo08 said:

Sounds like Butch has decided to chime in on the matter.  I think we started something here boys.  https://www.instagram.com/p/CQRhJ6vJ6TR/?utm_medium=copy_link

Notice the upward trajectory! Very important yet often overlooked in the toss. I'm not saying we're the reason for that video, but we're absolutely the reason for that video. Good job, team. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, PhilsFanDrew said:

I totally agree.  The average weekend hacker is not going to magically drop strokes by being custom fit.  You don't need to be custom fit to keep the ball in play and avoid penalty strokes, duffed shots, and 3+ putts.  

I think it depends on how far off the equipment is from what would be best. I played with a hacker this morning whose game has improved dramatically after being fit. Does it hurt my eyes to watch him? Sure... but the guy that fit him asked him point blank if he ever planned on fixing his swing. The guy said no, so the fitter found a setup that worked for him. And this guy is in Charles Barkley territory. 

• Haha 1

Tour Edge c721/HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 3 wood/UST Elements MK
Ping g410 4h Tensei blue, Ping g425 6h Tensei orange

Maltby TS3 6-Gap w/Nippon N.S. Pro 1050GH

SnakeEyes 685BX 52*/Callaway Jaws Raw 58Z

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

Carbon Ringo wide-flange, slant neck, 330 grams

2 hours ago, GatorNate11 said:

Notice the upward trajectory! Very important yet often overlooked in the toss. I'm not saying we're the reason for that video, but we're absolutely the reason for that video. Good job, team. 

It’s interesting that Butch has gone with the one handed approach - certainly effective, but I wonder if you get the same clubhead speed as with two hands?

it'd also be good to know whether a shorter or longer club goes further.  Would a shorter club offer greater manoeuvrability, or would the longer generate more speed?

so many questions that suddenly need to be answered. 

I fancy we need some testing………can we modify GC2 to measure this??? 😂😂

clearly we’re a community that addresses the real golfing issues!

• Like 1

Taylormade M2 2017
Mizuno MX700 3W
Titleist 909h 19*
Srixon U65 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW
Cleveland 588 RTXcb 50, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m

2 minutes ago, beaney said:

It’s interesting that Butch has gone with the one handed approach - certainly effective, but I wonder if you get the same clubhead speed as with two hands?

it'd also be good to know whether a shorter or longer club goes further.  Would a shorter club offer greater manoeuvrability, or would the longer generate more speed?

so many questions that suddenly need to be answered. 

I fancy we need some testing………can we modify GC2 to measure this??? 😂😂

clearly we’re a community that addresses the real golfing issues!

Happy to address these. Two handed I feel, surprisingly, that you actually lose speed. I think one hand really lets the hips rotate and lets you fire that thing out there.

Something else we need to discuss is what hand you're going to toss it with. Plan this out ahead of time. Nothing worse than looking like a fool while you stand there trying to decide which hand to throw the club with, it just isn't a good luck for the brand. I golf right handed, but I grew up a pitcher and QB playing lefty, so the club ALWAYS goes to the left hand for the toss. I'm not throwing off-hand, I'm a professional. 

In regards to distance, it's much like the game itself. If all you want is pure distance, pull driver, drive off the back foot and RIP that thing out there. Accuracy will suffer, but the cart girl will want your number after you throw a driver over them mountains like you're golf's answer to Uncle Rico. Be aware, however, that you will need more practice with driver to really master this throw. I would go out and spend at least half of your range session helicoptering and tomahawking your driver to find what works best for you.

Personally, I feel a lob wedge with an S400 is the premium club to throw. It's accurate, you'll be pleasantly surprised at the distance you'll achieve with not much work and the weight to length ratio gives a very satisfying feeling when you toss it. Plus, if you break the shaft, you're only out $25 for an S400 vs possibly hundreds for the driver shaft. I realize we're now getting into the economics of club tossing, but I want to be thorough and make sure the people are getting the right information to make an informed decision on their club tosses. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, GatorNate11 said:

Happy to address these. Two handed I feel, surprisingly, that you actually lose speed. I think one hand really lets the hips rotate and lets you fire that thing out there.

Something else we need to discuss is what hand you're going to toss it with. Plan this out ahead of time. Nothing worse than looking like a fool while you stand there trying to decide which hand to throw the club with, it just isn't a good luck for the brand. I golf right handed, but I grew up a pitcher and QB playing lefty, so the club ALWAYS goes to the left hand for the toss. I'm not throwing off-hand, I'm a professional. 

In regards to distance, it's much like the game itself. If all you want is pure distance, pull driver, drive off the back foot and RIP that thing out there. Accuracy will suffer, but the cart girl will want your number after you throw a driver over them mountains like you're golf's answer to Uncle Rico. Be aware, however, that you will need more practice with driver to really master this throw. I would go out and spend at least half of your range session helicoptering and tomahawking your driver to find what works best for you.

Personally, I feel a lob wedge with an S400 is the premium club to throw. It's accurate, you'll be pleasantly surprised at the distance you'll achieve with not much work and the weight to length ratio gives a very satisfying feeling when you toss it. Plus, if you break the shaft, you're only out $25 for an S400 vs possibly hundreds for the driver shaft. I realize we're now getting into the economics of club tossing, but I want to be thorough and make sure the people are getting the right information to make an informed decision on their club tosses. 

Some excellent insights here. 

I certainly agree with the notion that you must throw with dominant hand, and that rotation is key - get that belt buckle facing the target after release. 

With regards club, agree that going with a wedge, while not likely to fly as far as driver, is easier to fix, or in the event of a stray throw into a lake, replace. So I wonder whether a gap wedge might be the absolute best option, as you haven’t got to find a replacement to match a set (as you would with your irons), but it’s the longest of the wedges so might give max return for minimum cost of replacement. 

and of course, keep your grips clean!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Taylormade M2 2017
Mizuno MX700 3W
Titleist 909h 19*
Srixon U65 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW
Cleveland 588 RTXcb 50, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m