Unpopular Equipment Opinions

karstens_ghost

27 minutes ago, lefthack said:

I never played hockey but rode a skateboard and surfboard "goofy foot" with my right forward. I bat left, too. Feel more comfortable on that side of the ball, has nothing to do with my dominant hand, just feel better standing that way. 🤣

Left: skate/surf (goofy foot), billiards, kick, write

Right: hockey, baseball (hit/throw), golf

I'm just confused...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

11 hours ago, Fairway14 said:

Don't you play Blueprint irons because you like the way they look and perform, including the thin top line ?

Good question. Answer is no.

Blueprints are incredibly accurate front-to-back. You're going to get your number far more times than not. Incredibly consistent. Heads are tiny, so while there's little room for error, it's very solid feeling. It's not marshmallow; it's nail-on-first-swing-flush solid. I guess they're thin, but I really don't care.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

1 minute ago, karstens_ghost said:

Good question. Answer is no.

Blueprints are incredibly accurate front-to-back. You're going to get your number far more times than not. Incredibly consistent. Heads are tiny, so while there's little room for error, it's very solid feeling. It's not marshmallow; it's nail-on-first-swing-flush solid. I guess they're thin, but I really don't care.

Tomato vs tomaato. You will not get  all the (good) things you like about the Blueprints from a thick topline iron design.

By the way, given your name I assume you respect Karsten Solheim. He was an advocate of thin top lines and if you look at the 60's -70's era Karsten  1, 2, 3, 4 designs, followed by the Eye design and Eye 2, they all have relatively thin top lines. Also, they all slope from a tall at the toe to low at the heel (graceful head shape, not boxy). He knew what he was doing.

• Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

1 hour ago, nostatic said:

Left: skate/surf (goofy foot), billiards, kick, write

Right: hockey, baseball (hit/throw), golf

I'm just confused...

I kick left (skateboarding), darts, throw baseball and billiards are right. I'm all off as well.

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

2 hours ago, Fairway14 said:

Tomato vs tomaato. You will not get  all the (good) things you like about the Blueprints from a thick topline iron design.

By the way, given your name I assume you respect Karsten Solheim. He was an advocate of thin top lines and if you look at the 60's -70's era Karsten  1, 2, 3, 4 designs, followed by the Eye design and Eye 2, they all have relatively thin top lines. Also, they all slope from a tall at the toe to low at the heel (graceful head shape, not boxy). He knew what he was doing.

"He knew what he was doing." Well, in that case...

You're confusing me and him. He's an engineer who understood what many wanted.

All I said was I don't care. Let's not confuse this fact with the idea that my lack of preference is a popular opinion. (Clue is in the subject line.)

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

22 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I am the same way since I play traditional lofted blades---- Like you I can care less what someone else hits and in no shape or form does it pertain to me. Hey I am not too proud to pull that 9 wood from 160 or the 5 iron depending on the shot required

Yep.  Have an iron in the bag that will traverse the required distance (up to a point).  The number only a means to index which one.  I'm a humble golfer, accept my limitations.  From 160, don't have to overthink it.  Pull the V-Steel 9 wood and swing away.  (Did someone say V-Steels are "not special"?)

Edited by Fellaheen51
  • Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

2 hours ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Yep.  Have an iron in the bag that will traverse the required distance (up to a point).  The number only a means to index which one.  I'm a humble golfer, accept my limitations.  From 160, don't have to overthink it.  Pull the V-Steel 9 wood and swing away.  (Did someone say V-Steels are "not special"?)

Most of the guys who play with me regularly know not to ask me on club selection. The absolutely do not understand some of the things I do. Last Saturday I did not have a great team player wise but had some good guys and a lot of fun. When I know we are out of it I will still try but will experiment some. Saturday on a Par 5 one of my partners was up there pretty good. I had been itching to try the M-6 off the deck so I did and now I know I can hit the M-6 off the deck decently but really think I get more out of the V-Steel 3 wood. But hey I had to know and besides that is my fun now doing different stuff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

On 7/11/2021 at 3:21 AM, BIG STU said:

I know a lot of Canadians who winter here or Snowbirds as we call them--- I have had them explain the lefty Hockey thing and I fully understand it. Has to do with a slapshot

In hockey most people teach dominant hand on top... and everyone in Canada learns this way.  So right handed people play "lefty".  Mostly for stickhandling btw, rather than any assistance with shooting (and def not slappers, where your dominate hand down the stick would help).

• Like 4

4 hours ago, chippa13 said:

Actually, which handed you are in hockey has more to do with how old one is when they begin learning to skate with a stick in their hand. The younger someone is when they start, the more likely they are to have the dominant hand at the top of the stick.

I wont drag the thread down any more after this post - but every hockey coach I had as a young kid taught dominate hand high, and everyone I've ever played with from Canada learned that way... so the idea that dominate hand high isn't actively taught in Canada (and in parts of the States) is news to me.

Edited by R_Swanson
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

You have to keep in mind that in much of Canada and the US hockey hotbeds, kids are put on the frozen pond with a stick in their hands long before they ever meet a coach.

No I dont, because I'm from one and what you said contradicts everything I've ever seen/heard.

Doesnt mean you're wrong, but I've never heard this.

35 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

You have to keep in mind that in much of Canada and the US hockey hotbeds, kids are put on the frozen pond with a stick in their hands long before they ever meet a coach.

When do you think was the last time a kid learned hockey, or to skate for that matter, outside on a pond. 30-40yrs? I live in a northern, remote area of Canada in which the last 2-3 generations learned inside an arena. In the places here where there are no arenas(not many) there is either no skating activity or very limited by by very few. Having done it as a kid no one wants to skate or play hockey much when its -15°C or more likely even colder.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

On 4/4/2021 at 6:20 PM, lefthack said:

Getting "fit" for a putter is hilarious to me. It's the hammer of the tool box. Yes, there are different styles and you should find one that suites you for sure. But this does not require a professional if you are not a professional.

I had no idea it was even a thing until a few months ago.

At least we don't have glove fitters yet... Oh wait what's this?  just kidding

• Haha 1

DRIVER: TaylorMade R1 10.5° Stock Shaft Regular Flex

3/4 WOOD: TaylorMade Rballz 14°HL Stock Shaft Regular Flex

IRONS 3-PW: TaylorMade P7MC Nippon Modus Tour 105S

GW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 52.09 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

SW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 56.12 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

LW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 60.08 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

Putter: TaylorMade Daytona 12 traditional bladed putter

BALL: Callaway Chrome Soft and Titleist ProV1

26 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

When do you think was the last time a kid learned hockey, or to skate for that matter, outside on a pond. 30-40yrs? I live in a northern, remote area of Canada in which the last 2-3 generations learned inside an arena. In the places here where there are no arenas(not many) there is either no skating activity or very limited by by very few. Having done it as a kid no one wants to skate or play hockey much when its -15°C or more likely even colder.

Happens every winter here in New England on ponds and backyard rinks. And since Covid, the number of backyard rinks increased exponentially last Winter.

On 6/15/2021 at 2:26 PM, chippa13 said:

Pretty much every tour guy is putting his 7 iron out over 2 bills.

I don't think this is really true at all.. Including both what I just looked up as well as the fact that my GCQuad numbers are identical to tour pros on the irons and my 7 iron (34*) carries 183

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

On 7/10/2021 at 1:52 PM, Lasorcier said:

I can't think of any reason why someone would want to go to Taco Bell either, other than a cheap cure for constipation.

Cheap joke.. If taco bell really does that to your digestive system you should go see a doctor yesterday

Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Oops, delete 

Edited by rooski

I'll ask my physician about the Taco Bell thing, so thanks for your concern on that.  It is truly appreciated, albeit unexpected.  I would have otherwise figured you would be watching Mizuno videos dreaming about butter at this hour, rather than displaying your obviously bent feelings from my observations in regards to your Mizuno promotional thread over to this thread.

Again, thanks for the dietary advice.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Lasorcier said:

rather than displaying your obviously bent feelings from my observations in regards to your Mizuno promotional thread over to this thread.

If you think I looked at your name before quoting or had any idea of anything you've posted before I've got some horrible news for you

meme.png.3ac2686936d06e2541cf0e3d0659f346.png

Edited by rooski
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Evnroll makes the best putters on the market

A $350 putter shaft is dumb

Everyone is capable of hitting X flex shafts

Lie angle is the only important metric in club fitting

You're probably not good enough to use those wedges

"Feel" is just the sound a club makes, hit a Callaway Supersoft and "Everything feels like a Mizuno"

Shaft flex and bend profile only impacts strike position

Two extra layers of tape doesn't make a difference

Golf gloves are a pointless mental exercise

I could go on... love being able to air my unpopular opinions without having to look at faces while I do it 🙂 Apologies if any or all of these have been covered, lots of reading here.

Golf clubs are like garage tools, meant to fix something. 

Please don't sleep with your tool... 😛

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Clubs cost WAY too much

Ping makes the best clubs in the business

Play what clubs you want. It is a game after all, so have fun.

I think most players could play 7-8 clubs and shoot the same scores.

Confidence is more important than any launch monitor numbers

Cleveland/Srixon is extremely underrated

Nike Clubs were great, but it was a fad to poop on them. 

Rusty clubs look awesome

• Like 1

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

On 7/17/2021 at 5:33 AM, HoosierHacker89 said:

I think most players could play 7-8 clubs and shoot the same scores.

I think while there's an element of truth to this, if you're allowed fourteen clubs, you may as well take all fourteen. I wonder if your point is perhaps some players find there is too much choice? IE if you carry four wedges and aren't proficient, maybe you're better with just a PW and 56*?

That said, if I play well I might not use my three wood or a long iron all round. But plenty of other rounds I'll need them so would be annoyed if they were sitting at home in the lounge!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1