2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Unpopular Equipment Opinions

karstens_ghost

Wedges with more than 56* loft should be banned. If you can't open up a 54* wedge and hit every shot you can imagine, you're a hack and shouldn't be out on the course.

People that wear clothes that are sold as golf clothing look worse than the people wearing jeans on the course.

Modern equipment has ruined the game.

15 minutes ago, tsecor said:

some would disagree.....is bowling a sport too? Because a ball is involved? maybe its a skill game or an activity?

How about poker? It's on ESPN. 🤣

Golf is a game some folks are lucky enough to get paid to play.

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

I'd rather have a wedge from NCW over Artisan.

• Like 3

Srixon ZX5 10.5° - Diamana TB 6TX

Ping G410 17.5° - Atmos TS Red 7S

Ping G430 21° - AD IZ 8X

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW - PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno T22 50S, 54D - S400 TI

Vokey SM9 60T - S300

Gamer Putters Son of a GOAT - 326g, 34"

Bridgestone Tour B X

30 minutes ago, Yoshifan151 said:

I'd rather have a wedge from NCW over Artisan.

Not sure if that's unpopular opinion, both are nice in their own way. I'd love both, but only NCW makes LH so I'd go with them shoot I might cause no one else makes custom LH wedges. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

6 hours ago, 84425 said:

Wedges with more than 56* loft should be banned. If you can't open up a 54* wedge and hit every shot you can imagine, you're a hack and shouldn't be out on the course.

People that wear clothes that are sold as golf clothing look worse than the people wearing jeans on the course.

Modern equipment has ruined the game.

In the words of lefty, 

If youre doing all that you could’ve grabbed a 58-60 and left it alone. Lol I hope you have a decent wedge game that can play the way you’re talking 😂😂😂 should be banned..... that’s funny and what bounce/grind do you suggest that grants that application?? 
(yes I can do what your suggesting 😁 maybe even better than you 😉

• Like 2

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Ping 410 3w / Ping tour 65 s 

Nike VRS covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Cleveland Rtx4  48(bent to 50)mid, 54 mid, 58 mid / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ Black SS Gt 1.0 w 25g counter core.

23 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Not sure if that's unpopular opinion, both are nice in their own way. I'd love both, but only NCW makes LH so I'd go with them shoot I might cause no one else makes custom LH wedges. 

Yeah I don't think it's a ridiculously unpopular opinion but from what I see on here there's just way more talk and recommendations for Artisan. Artisan has a great product but I prefer the classic look and idea of complete customization that NCW gives. And yeah being a lefty in the golf world really sucks sometimes.

Srixon ZX5 10.5° - Diamana TB 6TX

Ping G410 17.5° - Atmos TS Red 7S

Ping G430 21° - AD IZ 8X

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW - PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno T22 50S, 54D - S400 TI

Vokey SM9 60T - S300

Gamer Putters Son of a GOAT - 326g, 34"

Bridgestone Tour B X

3 minutes ago, Yoshifan151 said:

Yeah I don't think it's a ridiculously unpopular opinion but from what I see on here there's just way more talk and recommendations for Artisan. Artisan has a great product but I prefer the classic look and idea of complete customization that NCW gives. And yeah being a lefty in the golf world really sucks sometimes.

You're telling me. 

But I think the draw to Artisan is the fitting experience you get with them, it sounds like they treat you like a tour pro and you get a set of wedges you'll game for a while. I'd love to go there for a putter fitting and experience that.

NCW is nice with that classic look like you mentioned and endless custom options plus they can recreate an old wedge that you love, just have to send the heads in and they can make copies. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

" Murdered Out" is the hip new version of "Stealth"

• Like 1

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

31 minutes ago, karstens_ghost said:

It's a sport if you walk the course.

Even if somebody else is carrying you clubs? 🤣

• Haha 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

3 hours ago, karstens_ghost said:

It's a sport if you walk the course. It's a sport if you play single-index.

It's a game if you drink alcohol. It's a game if you're goofing around.

The beauty of golf is that it can be both, depending on what you want it to be that day.

Compromise Shrug GIF

Tell my adult hockey teams it isn't a sport if you drink alcohol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 46and2_aheadofme said:

If a 51 year old with arthritis can win one of your top competitions, it's a game not a sport.  😜

Seth Meyers Burn GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

Another one - rules based:

The 5->3 minute rule is stupid. You think "ah, saved two minutes" when really you've forced many more situations where you must go back, causing 5-8 minutes more delay.

The rule should be that you can, after three minutes, play along the line of the shot to its last known position for one stroke. If it cannot be determined that the ball did not go out of bounds, the same rule applies for two strokes. (If you know you're ob, or think you are, a provisional can be played on the spot, but you can't go back after the three minutes.)

All rules that make competition move backwards to the prior shot location should be eliminated. This includes White Stakes, which should have normal penalty area relief for two strokes, and white stakes should be used only in cases of property or non-participant safety. Also, committees should be generous in applying Local "leaf rules" with shedding trees.

I also think players should be limited to one provisional ball per 18 holes.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

5 hours ago, karstens_ghost said:

All rules that make competition move backwards to the prior shot location should be eliminated. This includes White Stakes, which should have normal penalty area relief for two strokes, and white stakes should be used only in cases of property or non-participant safety.

This would save a bunch of time in most non competitive rounds as very few people hit provisionals.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

5 hours ago, karstens_ghost said:

Another one - rules based:

The 5->3 minute rule is stupid. You think "ah, saved two minutes" when really you've forced many more situations where you must go back, causing 5-8 minutes more delay.

The rule should be that you can, after three minutes, play along the line of the shot to its last known position for one stroke. If it cannot be determined that the ball did not go out of bounds, the same rule applies for two strokes. (If you know you're ob, or think you are, a provisional can be played on the spot, but you can't go back after the three minutes.)

All rules that make competition move backwards to the prior shot location should be eliminated. This includes White Stakes, which should have normal penalty area relief for two strokes, and white stakes should be used only in cases of property or non-participant safety. Also, committees should be generous in applying Local "leaf rules" with shedding trees.

I also think players should be limited to one provisional ball per 18 holes.

then what?

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

There's no way you can tell the difference between any ProV1 made in the last 10 years. 

I'm not saying they haven't changed. I'm saying your shot variance is too unpredictable to discern the differences.   

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

31 minutes ago, gioguy21 said:

then what?

I see what you bolded...

If those rules are in place, then a provisional ball is not needed in many cases. I find it annoying when I'm in a match, and a guy puts it in some trees, you know where it is, but "I'll just play a provisional in case". In case of what? In case you didn't warm up enough? In case you magically can't find that ball?

It's a delay tactic in match play. I'd be happy if stroke play wasn't a problem, but that in match play, the provisional is removed. Only the "play out the provisional on a rules dispute" is left.

Maybe there's someone smarter than me that can craft something better, but I really want to see it moved back to 5 minutes, AND you cannot go back, must play in line with shot, etc. No one wants to go backwards. The walk of shame, back to a tee box, as the foursome behind you wait… it just should not exist in the game.

Given the rules above, it's unlikely anyone can tell me when it's "right" to go back. Remember, you can hit again as long as you don't walk up on it. If you spend the 3/5 minutes, you have to stay there, and you lose the right to play from the original position.

3 minutes ago, karstens_ghost said:

I see what you bolded...

If those rules are in place, then a provisional ball is not needed in many cases. I find it annoying when I'm in a match, and a guy puts it in some trees, you know where it is, but "I'll just play a provisional in case". In case of what? In case you didn't warm up enough? In case you magically can't find that ball?

It's a delay tactic in match play. I'd be happy if stroke play wasn't a problem, but that in match play, the provisional is removed. Only the "play out the provisional on a rules dispute" is left.

Maybe there's someone smarter than me that can craft something better, but I really want to see it moved back to 5 minutes, AND you cannot go back, must play in line with shot, etc. No one wants to go backwards. The walk of shame, back to a tee box, as the foursome behind you wait… it just should not exist in the game.

Given the rules above, it's unlikely anyone can tell me when it's "right" to go back. Remember, you can hit again as long as you don't walk up on it. If you spend the 3/5 minutes, you have to stay there, and you lose the right to play from the original position.

the purpose of going back is stroke AND distance. Also, the reasoning for going back is because you cannot determine where it is, unless you witnessed it cross and hazard area  -- it's a lost ball, thus the provisional.

apparently you play with a lot of people who hit it wayward -- in tournaments i've never seen the provisional or drive back really turn into a serious issue. 

it's not a delay tactic lol if you genuinely can't find a ball and have to go back b/c you didn't play a provisional, the player you're suggesting is 'delaying' is the one in his pocket...doesn't make sense.  

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

2 minutes ago, gioguy21 said:

apparently you play with a lot of people who hit it wayward -- in tournaments i've never seen the provisional or drive back really turn into a serious issue. 

I played a lot of tournaments as a junior. Two courses we played several times a year never mowed the second cut of rough. It was brutal US Open automatic lost ball stuff. 

If your competitor hit it in there and didn't hit a provisional, there was a 50/50 chance they're walking back to the tee. 

Now here's the "problem". Do you help them look for the ball and "save' them two shots? Or do they walk back to the tee and potentially risk having your group be put on the clock for slow play. 

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

28 minutes ago, RCGA said:

I played a lot of tournaments as a junior. Two courses we played several times a year never mowed the second cut of rough. It was brutal US Open automatic lost ball stuff. 

If your competitor hit it in there and didn't hit a provisional, there was a 50/50 chance they're walking back to the tee. 

Now here's the "problem". Do you help them look for the ball and "save' them two shots? Or do they walk back to the tee and potentially risk having your group be put on the clock for slow play. 

i'll always help a playing partner/opponent look for a ball -- i'm not a cold hearted a**...

and being put on the clock would mean we'd have to be warned -- and we'd have to have the discussion with the marshall/committee that the only person causing the timing issue is my opponent

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

It might be time....

Happy Days Jumps The Shark... Literally! GIF - Happy Days Jump Extreme -  Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

1 hour ago, clutchputt71 said:

Bryson D annoys me

Pretty sure that's popular, actually.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

My tinfoil hat conspiracy is that there's some sort of smoke-filled room talk every year where the OEMs agree which "trend" is going to be commonly marketed. 

"Is this year about low spin or MOI?"

"Anyone else doing a marketing pitch on face tech?"

"Anyone got some buzzword we can use for thinning our driver crowns .001 micron?"

This is obviously where Golf Digest attends, collects their Hot List payments, and takes notes so they can make up "cons" in their new equipment reviews.  

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX