2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Unpopular Equipment Opinions

karstens_ghost

Putters should only be allowed one grip, not two. 

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

I hate everything Taylormade. Not sure why, maybe it's feel, maybe it's looks. I've tried just about everything they have but I just don't get along with any of it.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | Aldila Tour Green 75TX

3 Wood: PING G425 LST | Diamana 'ahina 80X

Driving Iron: Taylormade P790 | Project X 6.5

Irons: PING S55 | Project X 6.5

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 | DG TI S400

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour S CB

40 minutes ago, 14max said:

This thread has gone so many pages that I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but no one *needs* a lob wedge...

Can't be said enough. 🤣

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

On 9/30/2021 at 4:39 PM, Stoox said:

- For most ams >5 hcap, 3 woods (especially strong 3 woods) are useless or vanity clubs. The 13.5 to 16 degree range of FW or HY is a waste of space.

I don't necessarily agree or disagree with you, but I gotta ask.. how do you mean vanity?

I'm not aware that a 3-wood has any connotations associated with it, positive or negative.

If anything it's the club I use when I can't for the life of me get my driver to work (such as at the moment).. so for me it's a club of shame rather than vanity. But if you've got a spin on that so I can feel better about it, I'm all ears! 😄

• Cobra SpeedZone 3-wood @ 13.5 degrees - Tensei AV Blue 65
  • Nike VR Pro II 3 iron - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 4-pw Titleist 718 MB - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 50, 54, 60 Vokey SM8 - Std wedge flex
  • Odyssey Stroke Labs Double Wide
  • Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS

5 hours ago, Rocky Ball-boa said:

I don't necessarily agree or disagree with you, but I gotta ask.. how do you mean vanity?

I'm not aware that a 3-wood has any connotations associated with it, positive or negative.

If anything it's the club I use when I can't for the life of me get my driver to work (such as at the moment).. so for me it's a club of shame rather than vanity. But if you've got a spin on that so I can feel better about it, I'm all ears! 😄

Just put a driver headcover over your alignment sticks or umbrella  so it looks like you have a driver in the bag but don't actually  have more than 14 clubs. Then on every tee box say "Ugh, driver brings that lake/bunker 400 yards away into play. I better lay back with the 3 wood."

Driver: Wishon 919 THI 11* Motore Speeder 7.3 TS X

4 Wood: Wishon 949 MC 16.5* Motore Speeder 8.3 TS X

3 Hybrid: Wishon 335 HL 21* Motore Speeder 9.3 TS X

4-Utility: Wishon 585 HI 24* Project X 6.5

Irons: 5-9 Wishon 555C/M Project X 6.5

Wedges: Wishon PFC Micro Tour 48*,52*,56*, 60* Rifle Spinner 6.5

Putter: Wishon Smooth Series 1

11 hours ago, turles20 said:

Just put a driver headcover over your alignment sticks or umbrella  so it looks like you have a driver in the bag but don't actually  have more than 14 clubs. Then on every tee box say "Ugh, driver brings that lake/bunker 400 yards away into play. I better lay back with the 3 wood."

Ah right, I hadn't considered that type of scenario. I see your point of view now!

• Cobra SpeedZone 3-wood @ 13.5 degrees - Tensei AV Blue 65
  • Nike VR Pro II 3 iron - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 4-pw Titleist 718 MB - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 50, 54, 60 Vokey SM8 - Std wedge flex
  • Odyssey Stroke Labs Double Wide
  • Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS

4 hours ago, capking said:

I enjoy getting notifications 6 months after a post with the same Hacky Response. How often do you tell people you have a Sun Mountain golf bag?

Have I said that before? I just pulled a bag company name out of my rear to make a point.  Perhaps a lame and weak point but there ya go.  Should I have said Ogio?  Vessel? 

Sorry to make all that trouble for you.🍻

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Oh I have what I’m pretty sure will be a very unpopular opinion: 

The Srixon ZX7s (and 4s and 5s) are absolutely hideous looking from the back. They’re really terrific irons, and of course none of this matters from address or on the scorecard — but the seemingly random jagged lines are ugly. Srixon’s logo is ugly, too; they should go the recent Mizuno route and TaylorMade T-bug route of just getting a small emblem instead of using the whole company name. Zero bag appeal on those irons.

To be clear, I have no complaints about their products’ actual performance. This is purely an aesthetic thing. They’re a great golf company that desperately needs a new design team and a branding overhaul.

Edited by eric61
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

Is it only me ?

I sense a LOT of posters who aren't quite getting the point of the title of the thread ? :classic_laugh:

• Like 4

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

On 9/2/2021 at 8:47 AM, bladehunter said:

Yes.  Yes I am.  Lol. Spent a lot of time at 34.25.  But as I crossed over 40 it went to 35.  Same reason many have said. I can practice longer with more upright posture. 

but I do understand what you’re saying.  A lot of people would putt better with their eyes closer to the ball/line.  

I was always around 33.5  34 until my back injury now I am at 35 for the same reasons you stated. I had to get used to my eyes being further away from the ball. 

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

On 9/30/2021 at 11:39 AM, Stoox said:

In no order of importance:

- Playing music in carts sux major league and is a distraction to other players.

- Most slow play is caused by players not getting to their ball quickly and being ready to hit. It's the time spent between shots, not the time over the ball that creates slow play.

- For most ams >5 hcap, 3 woods (especially strong 3 woods) are useless or vanity clubs. The 13.5 to 16 degree range of FW or HY is a waste of space.

- Total weight is underrated. Swingweight is overrated.

- Putter optics are underrated. Putter MOI is overrated. If you can't aim it, you can't game it.

- Aldila's QA sux. More than one clubmaker has told me that of all the shafts they measure, Aldila's have been consistently off in terms of not only stated spec, but FLO (flat line oscillation/spines). 

- Lamkin grips are much better value than Golf Pride's. Better product and last longer.

- Thick putter grips rob you of feel.

I will agree with you on Aldila shafts---- Went through 10 of those shafts trying to match up numbers that we had on my Hogan GSS driver-- Was building a Wishon. Finally said screw it and put in an old UST Pro Force 65 in the Wishon---- Now my current 3 wood has a NVS in it--- I did not build that club but found it and it does hit good for me.

On 10/4/2021 at 5:54 PM, Shilgy said:

Then I need a new bag….not using a Sun Mountain set of irons. They’d look like this probably….

image.png.129d8e26ba2bac44602cc8b39e298303.png

OMG!!! The humanity of it showing those things on here--- Do not let children under 12 view this please!!!!---- LOL the other day I dug a TM R-7 bag out of the stash that was in good shape--- One of my cronies remarked " Stuey has a TM bag and he does have 3 TM clubs in it" Kinda a first for me. Bag was a good price as in free drug it out of a junked car when I worked at the scrap yard. I know ancient but it is in great shape and it was FREE. Had several POS clone clubs but a handfull of tees and ball markers and 3 brand new Pro Vs

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/1/2021 at 2:22 PM, Jim53 said:

As a old guy that is presently a mid cap I also see the other side of this where I am playing the same tees as young guys the same cap that hit it 30 yards past me. So Handicap alone is not a fair judge in most cases, now I could care less about getting strokes most of the time but give me a level playing field distance wise. 

Im only on page 12 of 32 pages in this thread...... but this is far is the dumbest statement made so far. 

• Haha 1

On 9/30/2021 at 11:39 AM, Stoox said:

- Lamkin grips are much better value than Golf Pride's. Better product and last longer.

Ive been golf pride my whole career… now I’m going to try some Lamkin. Eventually. If I remember.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

On 10/6/2021 at 12:14 AM, eric61 said:

Oh I have what I’m pretty sure will be a very unpopular opinion: 

The Srixon ZX7s (and 4s and 5s) are absolutely hideous looking from the back. They’re really terrific irons, and of course none of this matters from address or on the scorecard — but the seemingly random jagged lines are ugly. Srixon’s logo is ugly, too; they should go the recent Mizuno route and TaylorMade T-bug route of just getting a small emblem instead of using the whole company name. Zero bag appeal on those irons.

To be clear, I have no complaints about their products’ actual performance. This is purely an aesthetic thing. They’re a great golf company that desperately needs a new design team and a branding overhaul.

I disagree to a point. They have a cool modern look, but they probably won't probably stand the test of time. Maybe not mullet or disco bad (see Cleveland VAS or Ping Zing), but certainly not in the category of some the other 15+ year old CBs that still look great today.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TiScape said:

I’ve found that the topics/titles of threads here are just a suggestion. Where it goes, nobody knows! 🤣

Kinda like conversation in real life--- But then again some threads get totally derailed as in the train has gone off the tracks and over the mountain

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MikeG said:

I disagree to a point. They have a cool modern look, but they probably won't probably stand the test of time. Maybe not mullet or disco bad (see Cleveland VAS or Ping Zing), but certainly not in the category of some the other 15+ year old CBs that still look great today.   

I remember the disco days---- I had a 69 Vette and a sign painter pin stripe friend lettered on the back deck for me--- "Disco Sucks Rock and Roll Still #1" Now on the mullett I have let my hair grow really long since I retired and had my accident. I joked to my wife I was thinking of a mullett--- Her answer is not printable on here if I do not want to get banned. I will say she threatended to take the shears and cut it all off if I did so

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

I have let my hair grow really long since I retired and had my accident. I joked to my wife I was thinking of a mullett--- Her answer is not printable on here if I do not want to get banned. I will say she threatended to take the shears and cut it all off if I did so

You know stuff is getting real when the wife is threatening to get out the hedge trimmer.  LOL

• Haha 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

On 10/5/2021 at 9:36 PM, drumdude96 said:

Irons that are all beat to s#!* from clanging together are what's hideous. When you ride a cart for most of your rounds, iron covers make a lot of sense. Nothing will beat a set of irons up faster than riding a cart with no covers. I agree the covers aren't needed if you walk, especially if you use a push cart. But if I'm riding, the covers are on.

Iron head covers are like a mullet. You might like it…you might think it looks cool, but you have zero credibility:)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

You know stuff is getting real when the wife is threatening to get out the hedge trimmer.  LOL

More like the Yazoo heavy duty brush cutter