Unpopular Equipment Opinions

karstens_ghost

On 10/5/2021 at 9:36 AM, drumdude96 said:

Irons that are all beat to s#!* from clanging together are what's hideous. When you ride a cart for most of your rounds, iron covers make a lot of sense. Nothing will beat a set of irons up faster than riding a cart with no covers. I agree the covers aren't needed if you walk, especially if you use a push cart. But if I'm riding, the covers are on.

Ohh you would not like me then--- Rust dings bag chatter and lead tape are my standard MO--- But if you want to use covers you will not get any static from me

• Like 2

Driver--- TM M-6 Evenflow 65gm R set to 9.5

3W  TM V-Steel 15* bent to 14 NVS green Aldila 65gr R

7W TM V-steel 21* Ust Pro Force Gold 65 R

Irons 5 thru PW 2016 TM TP CBs--- Steelfiber 95 R shafts

GW  Ping Eye2 + Cleveland wedge shaft 51* 

SW Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind -- Modified grind to 10* KBS Wedge shaft

Putter Rusty Scotty Sante Fe Fluted Bullseye shaft--- No it aint going no where

Bag Old TM R-7 stand freebie works good on range and cart

Balls Some kind of Srixon since I have won so many-- Hey new freebies hit good

3 hours ago, cyr67 said:

Iron head covers are like a mullet. You might like it…you might think it looks cool, but you have zero credibility:)

Maybe not, but what I do have is a very nice looking set of irons that will stay that way, which equals more $ if I decide to sell them.  As much as people turn clubs over on here I would think iron covers would be the norm.  But common sense is not so common these days. LOL.  Use something for a while, let it get beat up, and then lose your azz when you sell it seems to be the way of life for most guys.

• Like 2

Bag 1                                                                                     Bag 2                                                     

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5° GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X   PING Rapture 10.5° YS6+ S            

PING G25 16.5° 4 Wood UST Attas 4U 7 TS                     Titleist 906F2 15° YS6+ FW S           

Callaway Epic Flash21° 7 Wood UST Attas 4U 8S            Titleist 904F 19° Speeder S      

TaylorMade 200 4 & 5 Irons S90 Steel                              Titleist 904F 22° DG S300               

Mizuno MP30 6-PW DG AMT X100                                    PING Zing BeCu 5-SW AMT Tour White Black Onyx S300

Cobra Trusty Rusty 51° DG X100                                        PING Eye 2 XG 56° & 60° DG S300

Mizuno T20 55° & 60° DG X100                                          PING Sigma Tyne H 

Yes! Natalie Center Shafted                                                Vice Pro Plus White

On 10/9/2021 at 11:29 PM, GJR10 said:

Titleist woods are better than their irons

Latest iterations, or throughout time?

Because the former could be arguable (even though the T100 and T200 seems to be killing it at the moment), but the latter would be the first truly controversial opinion in this thread! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Cobra SpeedZone 3-wood @ 13.5 degrees - Tensei AV Blue 65
  • Nike VR Pro II 3 iron - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 4-pw Titleist 718 MB - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 50, 54, 60 Vokey SM8 - Std wedge flex
  • Odyssey Stroke Labs Double Wide
  • Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS

11 hours ago, Rocky Ball-boa said:

Latest iterations, or throughout time?

Because the former could be arguable (even though the T100 and T200 seems to be killing it at the moment), but the latter would be the first truly controversial opinion in this thread! 🙂

In my opinion the latest iterations 

On 10/1/2021 at 5:34 PM, 14max said:

This thread has gone so many pages that I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but no one *needs* a lob wedge...

I feel like people who have poor practice and bad coordination are not able to use a club made with high loft 😂
cause in a sense youre (maybe) suggesting that people are skilled (coordinated) enough to maneuver a SW to play multiple shots but not skilled enough to hit another high lofted club? Cmon now 

Edited by SylvesterLundgren

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Ping 410 3w / Ping tour 65 s 

Nike VRS covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Cleveland Rtx4  48(bent to 50)mid, 54 mid, 58 mid / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ Black SS Gt 1.0 w 25g counter core.

On 10/8/2021 at 7:49 AM, Londo said:

I love the jet black finish on wedges and prefer it to chrome finishes. Not sure what it is, but the look at address and how they look as they age just really agree with me!

I exclusively go with black wedges but....... I cant stand black irons.  Had the Macgregor MT-Pro-M's in black...used them for a round and sold them....weird huh....

TM Sim 2 9.0* Ventus Blue 6x- Velcore
TM M1 3W- Fuji Speeder Tour X
3-5 TM P7MC  KBS Tour 130 XS

6-9 TM P7MB KBS Tour 130 XS
50* & 58* MG3- Black 
Black Lab BL-1 365G

1 hour ago, jyamat said:

I exclusively go with black wedges but....... I cant stand black irons.  Had the Macgregor MT-Pro-M's in black...used them for a round and sold them....weird huh....

Haha, I have never thought about irons. Honestly, I may even be the same way, black wedges for life but likely would steer clear of black irons

1 hour ago, Londo said:

Haha, I have never thought about irons. Honestly, I may even be the same way, black wedges for life but likely would steer clear of black irons

Black wedges help with glare. Black irons don't make a lot of sense because they don't angle up enough.

410LST 8º, 3w 14.5º, 3h 19º, i210 4i, Blueprint 5-P, Glide Forged 50/54/58. Ping Tour x & MMT105tx shafts. Sigma2 Fetch w/ BGT.

Rusted wedges spin more... no they dont... other wedges and irons are too shiny... no they arent. If your paying attention to shine so hard you probably shouldnt be golfing. Its just a preference not a game changer. Spikeless shoes are just fine... sometimes spiked holds you a little too stuck to the ground lol i own both and like both though. Tiger woods is overrated.... ok that ones a lie.

• Like 1

Unpopular but not necessarily equipment related:

You don’t need multiple tees on each hole. It slows down the game and nobody plays from the right tees anyway. Just pick one and go with it. 

Everyone in a group should play the same tees. Don’t care if you male/female or young/old. I’d rather wait for you to hit one more shot from the fairway than stop down for multiple tees on every hole.

A lost ball that you know landed in play should not be a penalty. Just drop where everyone agrees after 60 seconds of looking and move on. The PGA Tour has spotters everywhere but I don’t get that luxury so why should I be penalized, especially when it’s because the course is too cheap to mow?

Sand traps have absolutely no place on a golf course. The only people they hurt are amateurs, and the worse you are the more they hurt, plus they slow the game.

Changing equipment rules to decrease length on the tour is stupid. Just draw a line across the fairway at 300 yards and make any tee shot over that line a one stroke penalty. This is essentially the same concept as the 3 pt line in basketball - you get too close to the rim and a basket is only worth 2 points, not 3.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

PING's ISI series (not K) is the best iron PING has ever made...

• Like 4

Drivers Callaway MAVRIK MAX (10.5*)//X460 (10*)

Woods Callaway MAVRIK MAX//GBB Hawk Eye (3/5/7)

Irons PING ie1 (5-UW)//Eye2 PAT PENDING//ISI-S (4-PW)

Wedges PING Eye2 XG (SW/LW)//Eye2 (LW)

Putters PING Anser X//Darby//Piper (variants)

Bags Bag Boy Chiller Hybrid//Datrek Go Lite Hybrid

Cart Clicgear 3.5+

5 hours ago, LegendJeff said:

Rusted wedges, jumbo putting grips, high MOI drivers, stopping for lunch at the turn, the list goes on and on lol

So what's the "opinion" ? :classic_wacko:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Hzrdus Yellow HC 6.0 Stiff

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP

Adams Idea Pro 20* Aldila Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Cally PM Grind 56 KBS Tour 115

LAB Directed Force (Today)

Titleist ProV1x

34 minutes ago, LegendJeff said:

Being that I dislike those equipment trends.. the stopping at turn bc my playing partners stopped at turn an backed up the group behind us last week on 10th.. told them to pack some peanuts next time lol

Ahhhhhh,,,,,,, so you DISLIKE those things.

OK then, so that's the opinion. :classic_smile:

• Thanks 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Hzrdus Yellow HC 6.0 Stiff

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP

Adams Idea Pro 20* Aldila Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Cally PM Grind 56 KBS Tour 115

LAB Directed Force (Today)

Titleist ProV1x

11 hours ago, Kenbone said:

If you can't break 100 on your home course after 10 tries you have to switch to tennis.

My home course is only 9 holes,  so I hope you can break 100 the first try. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Taylormade M6 D Type driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Honma XP-1 3 and 5 wood 

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Byrdie Golf Designs split cavity 4-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

19 minutes ago, Straphael said:

Had a guy not break 60 on the front 9 in a mid-am qualifier so don’t underestimate bad players

I honestly don't keep score, so for all I know I'm shooting 60 on the front. 🤣 

Actually I shot 2 under for 9 a couple weeks back, so I'm not awful. But I'm generally not paying attention to the score.

Taylormade M6 D Type driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Honma XP-1 3 and 5 wood 

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Byrdie Golf Designs split cavity 4-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

One and Two Utility irons don't help your game out past a single digit golfer...... a lot of people should play a hybrid or FW to take advantage of the forgiveness and speed at that length of club. Also too many people play a stock 4 iron lol 

• Like 1

Cobra RadSpeed 7.5* - Small Batch Smoke Green 60 6.5

Cobra RadSpeed 13* - Small Batch Smoke Green 70 6.5

Srixon ZX HY 19* - PX Smoke Black 80 6.5

U500 23* - PX 6.5 

718 CB 5-PW - PX 6.5 

SM8 52* 56* 60* - TI S400 

WHP #7 

Titleist Pro V1