Unpopular Equipment Opinions

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just don’t get along with those Sun Mountain putters

I wish Karsten was still alive so that Scotty could come up with some unique putter designs.

(don't say it....no I'm gonna do it). you're not good enough to care this much about equipment      lol.          

Posted Images

3 hours ago, scott406 said:

Big ball markers suck also

Yeah, who started this poker chip nonsense? 

The ball marker should be designed to allow a ball to roll over it with minimal impact to the speed and direction of the ball. Of *course* if I think your mark is in my intended line, I'll ask you move it one way or another. But if I mishit it and roll over your marker anyway, I'd prefer my ball to keep freakin' rolling. 

If your ball marker is thicker than a dime, I'm gonna ask you to move it a club length away.

(Suppose I could just putt better... But that's hard!)

• Like 4

1 - "not good enough to play blades".... I am an example of the fact that if your swing sucks there isn't a club made that is forgiving enough. I started with blades n balata, went to Louisville\H&B Powerbuilt TPS cavity backs, then went to Taylormade ICW 11 Internal Cavity Weighting, then went to a combo set of Forged GolfSmith MB\CB blades that I'm still playing. Not a whit of difference between them except that each set was fit a little better to me. All along, when I made a reasonable swing I was rewarded with good ball flight. When I didn't I paid the price... the clubhead didn't matter. Worry more about learning to swing the club rather than expecting the club to cover up your swing flaws..... golf is not easy - if you can't get the ball airborn it ain't the clubheads fault!

2 - carts ... when did the courses double the cart fees? I can remember paying for "18 and half a cart"... the cart rental fee was the total fee for the cart for 18 and was split between the two riders. Since I returned to the game I see the same cart fee listed, but it is per golfer whether you are alone or paired up in the cart.... Guess it's more incentive to walk. Now if we could just do something about those huge hills.

And then there's this BS - "The use of a cart is are mandatory to speed up the pace of play", but the mandatory carts MUST stay on cart path that has high curbs and guardrails! So you gotta stop, carry several clubs across the fairway and back instead of walking right down the middle? And they wondered why their nice expensive cart mysteriously broke down as far from the clubhouse as it could get?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, longjohnpeter said:

The "dial the ball back" crowd need to be drawn and quartered. 

Scoring averages today have dropped by less than two strokes since the 90s. 

A certain big cat changed the way players train and prepare.

Players today are flat out better than they used to be. Get over yourselves.

AMEN!!!!!

Data is one thing. Analysis and interpretation of data is something else. Removing the individual human and their realities (flexibility, practice time, etc) inevitably will lead to bad recommendations and heartache all around.

• Like 1

G400Max Xtorsion 60S | F9 3W Devo 7S - 3H Devo 8S | RS 7W Motore F3R

ZX5 5i | ZX7 6-AW Recoil 95R | RM4 56S - 60H | SC SS Newport

in rotation: ZX4 4i | G425 5H Orange S | ZX5 6i

On 4/5/2021 at 9:30 PM, kfurno said:

I do not ‘game’ my golf clubs.  Sounds ridiculous!

+1, I also I don't run a certain grip, shaft or club head

Edited by spring7
  • Like 1
D:Cobra SZ Xtreme 9*
3W:Taylormade RBZ Tour 3
3H:Titleist 816H1 20*
DI: Callaway UT 21*
Irons: Ping iE1 5-UW
SW: Titleist SM8 56-S
LW: Callaway PM Grind 1.0 60*
Putter: Ping 2021 Fetch 

Posted (edited)

Here's another one.

I'm GLAD they are going to set a max of 46" club length. My condolences to Brooke Henderson.

Also, putter grips need to be symmetrical down the main axis of address. This thing where people are installing left-side bumps on their grips isn't cool. Arm lock, fine, but not asymmetry.

I think box-sets should come with a chipper. Along with a chipper, 20+ players would get better faster if they had the Smart Sole thing, where you get a chipper, gap wedge, and flange-y sand wedge. Really, that's a beginner's proper short game… not a bunch of Vokeys.

I think lines on balls are fine, but they're not helping you. You're probably hitting it straighter, but that doesn't mean you read the green any more correctly.

Edited by karstens_ghost
autocorrect fail

410LST 8º, 2h 15.5º, 3h 20º, 210 4i, Blueprint s400ti, forged 50/54/58, fetch with breakthrough shaft. First par round 4 Oct 2020.

On 4/10/2021 at 6:52 PM, longjohnpeter said:

The "dial the ball back" crowd need to be drawn and quartered. 

Scoring averages today have dropped by less than two strokes since the 90s. 

A certain big cat changed the way players train and prepare.

Players today are flat out better than they used to be. Get over yourselves.

You think if the courses were the same as they were in the 90s (i.e. tour courses not spending millions of dollars buying new land, building new tees and bunkers etc) the scores would still be the same? 

• Like 3

Poker chip ball markers are awful. Use a dull coin.

Superstroke/polyurethane putters grips kill your feel. Rubber grips rule.

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue 10.5/UST Helium
Callaway Steelhead XR 3w/Tensei
Nike VR Pro 21/PX
Ping i210 4-PW/AWT2.0 
Ping Glide 2.0 54, 58
Odyssey #9 White Ice
Callaway Chrome Soft Yellow

Bullseye putters are the best ever.

Tee off wherever there's the most room to go play and enjoy yourself.  First, tenth, 13th, whatever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TEE C721 10.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 X

TEE XCG 13* Whiteboard 73S PUREd

PING G425 Crossover 2i Alta CB S

PING i210 4-U DG 120 S

PING Gorge Tour 54*, 58*

PING 2021 Tyne 4 34"

14 hours ago, Chief Penguin said:

I know this has been said, but it bears repeating. Carts should be banned for all golfers that don't have a medical condition when the temperature is under 90*.  Bad back?  Fine, bring a doctor's note.  I don't have any problem with anyone's 78 year old grandpa riding, but the game would be immeasurably better if everyone who was even remotely able walked and used a pull cart.  

Last spring when our local muni was first opening up and the city didn't know what to do about the golf shop, they just opened up the course for people to go walk it and play for free for the entire month of April.  It was great watching everyone walking the course, some carrying and some with their trolleys (pull carts)!  And everyone played about the same speed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Epic Flash 12.0, 5.5 Evenflow green (until Ping g425 Max 12/Tensei 55 shows up)
Ping g410 4h & 5h hybrids

Malty DBM 6-Gap, TT Elevate 95S

Hogan TK 57* (until Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 58 show up)

TP Mills Sycamore/Spaulding TPM VIII/Mannkrafted MA-99/Bellum Winmore 787 Tie-Fighter

15 hours ago, Chief Penguin said:

I know this has been said, but it bears repeating. Carts should be banned for all golfers that don't have a medical condition when the temperature is under 90*.  Bad back?  Fine, bring a doctor's note.  I don't have any problem with anyone's 78 year old grandpa riding, but the game would be immeasurably better if everyone who was even remotely able walked and used a pull cart.  

Additionally, music/speakers on the golf course sucks hard.  Having the man-children on the previous green blasting ACDC at top volume while I'm trying to tee off is really distracting.

Why would the game be better? I play in South Florida and just about nobody walks other than the first group out at Muni's. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Ping G425 LST 9 Ventus Velocore 7-s
Ping G425 LST 14.5 Graphite Design Tour AD Di6-s 
Ping G425 Max 20.5 Oban Devotion 7 04 
Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0 +1/2
Mizuno T7 52 Satin Project X LZ 6.0 Blackout +1/2
National Custom Works 56 Project X LZ 6.0 Blackout +1/2
National Custom Works 60 Project X LZ 5.5 Blackout  +1/2
Scotty Cameron Studio Design JAT 

15 hours ago, Chief Penguin said:

I don't get the hate for carts. Did you get run over or something? What has a cart done to you?

You watch Steph Curry on "The Match" using a cart and having a blast. I would argue he is fit enough to walk. Even carry his bag. Yet he rolls in style and plays quickly doing it.

If it's good enough for Steph, it's good enough for me. 🤣

download (1).jpeg

Edited by lefthack
Added pic
  • Like 3

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged 2-M cavity back 4-6 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

1 hour ago, courcy75 said:

Why would the game be better? I play in South Florida and just about nobody walks other than the first group out at Muni's. 

I lived the first 25 years of my life in Tennessee and I loved riding - only walked when I was younger and during high school matches.  I get it, its hot and sticky in the South, and in middle/East TN there are elevation changes that make some courses painful to walk.  I now live in western Washington where summertime highs don't top 80 all that much and rarely hit 90, and I can't fathom why so many people ride.  I'll only ride if my father-in-law is in town or I'm playing with him in Phoenix, but I don't care for it.

Firstly, there's no way in which walking several miles every time you play isn't good for you.  If you already walk 3-5 miles daily, I could understand why you wouldn't agree.

Second, I think the game is just a lot more enjoyable played on foot.  I lose no time by walking - if anything I think carts slow down play half the time because the two players are not in position to hit as soon as they're able - you notice everything in more detail, the course, etc.  No part of your brain is thinking about driving, so you have more time to concentrate on the next shot, take everything in, notice details about the course, or have a conversation.

Third, I think carts are bad for the fairways.  I make no pretensions to objective fact here, I've just looked at fairways with cart tire marks for most of my life and thought "I bet they'd look better if there were no carts."

1 hour ago, lefthack said:

I don't get the hate for carts. Did you get run over or something? What has a cart done to you?

You watch Steph Curry on "The Match" using a cart and having a blast. I would argue he is fit enough to walk. Even carry his bag. Yet he rolls in style and plays quickly doing it.

If it's good enough for Steph, it's good enough for me. 🤣

download (1).jpeg

God knows Steph has enough money to do whatever he wants.  He could probably play just as quickly walking.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Chief Penguin said:

God knows Steph has enough money to do whatever he wants.  He could probably play just as quickly walking.

I don't know, that cart looked damn fast!

• Haha 1

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

3 minutes ago, sm_watts said:

When I have to play with a cart:

A) the drive to my ball doesn't give me enough time to gloat over my last good shot; or

B) the drive to my ball doesn't give me enough time to get my last bad shot out of my head; or

C) the GPS system on the cart won't allow me to drive to where my last shot ended up 🤣

Nothing personal against carts, but I really enjoy getting out early for a nice walk around a course, and I feel like it makes golf seem like a more legit sport.

I started playing in college for credit and played 3-4 days a week. We always got a cart because it part of the lazy aspect of golf and I've always held onto that. It is a legit sport, at least more so than bowling and certainly more than poker (thanks ESPN). 

I don't think I will ever understand the need for a caddie, there are apps for that now. 🤣

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

I don't hate carts, but I think golf is more enjoyable when played on foot.

Caveats: In 90+ degree weather, not so much. If you have physical issues with that level of walking distance, of you're not in good enough shape to do it without being wrecked by the 18th hole, not so much. 

But I prefer it. It's so much more an enjoyable and relaxing way to experience the course. 

I agree that a round can be more enjoyable walking, and I personally feel I play better when on foot - to the point that when I played with my father in law he drove and I walked. He would play his ball and meet me at mine with the clubs.

My current home course is only ~6300 yards or so, but first 3 holes are par 5's that play up and down a hill with huge elevation changes with 100-270 yard 30+* up\down elevation changes to the green. Then, 3 of the last 4 holes play up and down the other side of that hill. the middle 11 holes are a pleasure to walk as they are on top of the hill. If you are not in pretty good shape climbing those hills will kick your a**.... My goal is to be able to walk it by the end of the year. We'll see.

• Like 2

Walking is good.

If you can't keep pace walking normally, get a cart, by all means.

If you walk, the motorised carts are great. What I don't get is the machismo of lugging all those clubs on your back while you play. Seems silly if you're competitive.

• Like 1

410LST 8º, 2h 15.5º, 3h 20º, 210 4i, Blueprint s400ti, forged 50/54/58, fetch with breakthrough shaft. First par round 4 Oct 2020.