Footjoy Classics

On 4/11/2021 at 1:22 PM, MattM97 said:

I've never experience metal golf spikes but I have worn metal football cleats for practice and it always was like clop, clop, clop *slides on floor* clop, clop, clop. Repeat a few times. 

Baseball spikes were crunch, crunch, crunch on paved surfaces.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, smashdn said:

Baseball spikes were crunch, crunch, crunch on paved surfaces.

I was talking a school floor cause I had to walk down a long hallway to get from the dressing room to the field and it was bad after they waxed it. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

• 2 weeks later...

Agree, best forum on WRX...how can anyone not love the FJ Classics? I haven't seen the new 1857's but from pictures am guessing they're very similar.

My question is: what to do if you're suddenly caught in an unexpected monsoon and can't return to the clubhouse to change? From my experience with FJ Classics, they're not exactly the best to weather the elements. They require such love to maintain, do you just suck it up and hope for the best or call a ride in? 

Days that are 70 degrees and sunny with no humidity I like to call "Classics days" ... I would be willing to bet that no one else on the range other than the fine folks sharing their FJ's here is wearing anything nearly as dignified.

Since everyone else shared...

image.png.7a5622a07da0ea06e3ffdc4ec0953255.png

Classics 1.jpg

• Like 3

@putterboy75 you only have one choice and thats to stick it out and then put lots of newspaper inside of the shoes after you get off the course. 

The new and already discontinued 1857's were really nice looking but just too expensive. I'm sure they were worth it, but $750 is just a bit high. I think if they would have been priced $300-$425 they would have done very well. 

1 hour ago, kt381 said:

@putterboy75 you only have one choice and thats to stick it out and then put lots of newspaper inside of the shoes after you get off the course. 

The new and already discontinued 1857's were really nice looking but just too expensive. I'm sure they were worth it, but $750 is just a bit high. I think if they would have been priced $300-$425 they would have done very well. 

Ugh, I thought that's what you would say re: what to do if caught in rain-storm. Best plan is to...avoid altogether.

I always wondered who was buying (if anyone) was buying those 1857's.... I feel like the kind of player that appreciates those is a traditional one and prefers walking, and I can't imagine they're close to light. I think they were so expensive because of the quality materials of course, but also that FJ was determined to have them made in the U.S.A.. I respect that. Will be interesting to see if any of these pop up on eBay (meaning at least a few were sold) I haven't seen any yet though.

It's very easy to still wear metal spikes on courses today. Put them on while on the 1st hole and take them off on the 18th. Also avoid walking on cart paths. No one will know.

The reason for banning metal spikes was not to preserve greens, it was to preserve clubhouse floors. This method achieves the goal.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 11:00 PM, Mr. Clean said:

Putterboy75 those white pebble grain wing tips are HOT FIRE 🔥 

Yes, suck it up with the rain, your choice of footwear far exceeds your playing partners👍🏻 Just allow your classics to dry naturally and then lather them up with mink oil, uppers and soles 👈🏼

TY for the thumbs up! I recently picked up a pair of the now discontinued FJ Icon Blacks in all white.. I think for walking, they're a great alternative to the FJ Classics because they're so much lighter. Thankfully, haven't had any rain encounters when wearing yet, but I like my chances in those more than the Classics. If I know its going to rain, I have 3 pairs of the old DryJoys Tours that are also now discontinued. I found a place in South Carolina that still has a lot of sizes and styles and ordered a few more assuming they're now gone forever. I don't feel "too" bad if I'm caught in a downpour wearing these because they're about 1/3rd of the price of the Classics!

I'm curious, what did you think of the FootJoy Classics Tour that were released around year 2009 - 2012? They had a rubber sole of some sort and the upper looked similar to the "Classic" Classics.... I had a pair and they were fine for walking in terms of weight, but they just did not hold up at all. I treat my shoes with love and after about 2 years of using on an off (maybe 2x a week max) and only a few rain storms, the sole was showing some wear. Funny side story - I was lucky enough to be invited to play at one of those E. Hampton clubs that is a "drop whatever you're doing and get there" type of place, and we played the 1st 6 holes or so in the sun, but the rest in what must have been 40 - 60 mph winds and consistent rain as intense as I've ever played in. Everyone else left the course but my playing partner and I knew we weren't likely to be so lucky to play here again so we pushed on to finish. I decided to actually throw away all of my clothes, and left ave these FJ Classics Tour shoes, after the round. I was pouring water out of them haha. I'll always remember that roun

On 4/29/2021 at 11:00 PM, Mr. Clean said:

Putterboy75 those white pebble grain wing tips are HOT FIRE 🔥 

Yes, suck it up with the rain, your choice of footwear far exceeds your playing partners👍🏻 Just allow your classics to dry naturally and then lather them up with mink oil, uppers and soles 👈🏼

TY for the thumbs up! I recently picked up a pair of the now discontinued FJ Icon Blacks in all white.. I think for walking, they're a great alternative to the FJ Classics because they're so much lighter. Thankfully, haven't had any rain encounters when wearing yet, but I like my chances in those more than the Classics. If I know its going to rain, I have 3 pairs of the old DryJoys Tours that are also now discontinued. I found a place in South Carolina that still has a lot of sizes and styles and ordered a few more assuming they're now gone forever. I don't feel "too" bad if I'm caught in a downpour wearing these because they're about 1/3rd of the price of the Classics!

I'm curious, what did you think of the FootJoy Classics Tour that were released around year 2009 - 2012? They had a rubber sole of some sort and the upper looked similar to the "Classic" Classics.... I had a pair and they were fine for walking in terms of weight, but they just did not hold up at all. I treat my shoes with love and after about 2 years of using on an off (maybe 2x a week max) and only a few rain storms, the sole was showing some wear. Funny side story - I was lucky enough to be invited to play at one of those E. Hampton clubs that is a "drop whatever you're doing and get there" type of place. We played the 1st 6 holes or so in the sun, but the rest in what must have been 40 - 60 mph winds and consistent rain as intense as I've ever played in. Everyone else left the course but my playing partner and I knew we weren't likely to be so lucky to play here again so we pushed on to finish. I decided to actually throw away all of my clothes, including these Classics Tour shoes, after the round. I was pouring water out of them! I'll always remember that round for that and the amazing shower with illegal 1920s water pressure after the round.

Also, guessing those who've commented on this thread probably know about this Vintage FJ Classics site (wouldn't be surprised if the site's author is here as well) but for those who haven't had a chance to take a look, this site dedicated to the "#1 shoe in golf" is pretty great:

https://vcleat.com/vintage-footjoy-classics-golf-shoes/

Personally, I wasn't a huge fan of the Classic's Tour with the rubber sole. The rubber sole just didn't do it for me, but respect them for trying to find an innovative way to keep the Classic's alive. I did really like the Classics Dry Premiere which was still a leather sole but had some rubber in it to help break in a bit quicker. 

I also second that the Icon Blacks were a really great shoe. Have a couple pairs of those and they were great walking shoes, no complaints at all. There was some cork in the footbed and it was remarkably stable but yet comfortable and still classic looking.

I will also add that their latest Premiere Series is intriguing. Went to order a pair of the Tarlow's through my golf shop but they were back ordered through FJ, so I'll have to try another route. 

On 4/13/2021 at 6:57 PM, RobotDoctor said:

I have 4 three pairs of FJ Classics.  This is one of the pairs I have.  The picture was when they were new (bought in new condition about 3 or 4 years ago).  They've been worn about 20 rounds now and are broken in.  They're fabulous!!!

FJ Classic Saddle Ostrich.jpg

I played my last two AJGA tournaments in 1998 wearing those exact White/ Brown Ostrich with the brass medallion...... Ah the memories!!

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya Chrome 6TF5 

3 Wood: Tour Edge CBX 119 16.5 w/ PX Evenflow Blue 6.5

Hybrid: Fourteen Prototype 2 iron Bent to 20* w/ UST Mamiya Proto 125 X

Irons: Fourteen FH1000 4-PW 1*Strong/1*Up w/ KBS $Taper S+ +1/2

GW: Fourteen RM12 - 50/10   w/ KBS $Taper S+ +1/2

SW:  Fourteen RM12 – 54.5/10.5   w/ KBS 610 130 +1/2

LW:  Fourteen RM12 - 59/9   w/ KBS 610 130 +1/2

Putter: Odyssey 1W Milled / EVNROLL ER2 @ 34”,4* & 71* w/ Ionmic Mid Size

Ball: Taking Applications For Open Position !!! 

On 5/6/2021 at 4:03 PM, pccasstpro said:

I played my last two AJGA tournaments in 1998 wearing those exact White/ Brown Ostrich with the brass medallion...... Ah the memories!!

These are sick... I always wanted a pair of the ostrich saddle's but sadly never came my way (yet, I suppose they're still out there somewhere!)

Also, maybe someone has mentioned it earlier in the thread, but what happened to the days of 11 spikes / shoe? Does FJ think today's modern buyer only wants to bother with 9 now or are we getting the same traction from the 9 as we used to with 11 because they're "strategically placed?" Ok, so maybe it was a little more expensive to replace all 22 spikes for the Classics, but did anyone notice? I think we'd all agree what makes the best players stand above is the little things, one slip here and another there adds up, how can FJ justify reducing spikes / shoe?

Some lower end FJ shoes now have even less than 9 / shoe. The new Traditions (which I'm told are flying off the shelves) only have 7 / shoe. This is my rant, but this trend demonstrates the general degradation of quality offered to the golfing public in all areas of merchandise. It's frustrating and sad!

On 5/7/2021 at 7:42 PM, putterboy75 said:

These are sick... I always wanted a pair of the ostrich saddle's but sadly never came my way (yet, I suppose they're still out there somewhere!)

Also, maybe someone has mentioned it earlier in the thread, but what happened to the days of 11 spikes / shoe? Does FJ think today's modern buyer only wants to bother with 9 now or are we getting the same traction from the 9 as we used to with 11 because they're "strategically placed?" Ok, so maybe it was a little more expensive to replace all 22 spikes for the Classics, but did anyone notice? I think we'd all agree what makes the best players stand above is the little things, one slip here and another there adds up, how can FJ justify reducing spikes / shoe?

Some lower end FJ shoes now have even less than 9 / shoe. The new Traditions (which I'm told are flying off the shelves) only have 7 / shoe. This is my rant, but this trend demonstrates the general degradation of quality offered to the golfing public in all areas of merchandise. It's frustrating and sad!

You need to remember that the spikes was all they had for traction back in the day. The sole was just a slick leather like a dress shoe.

Todays shoes you have much better traction technology built into the sole reducing the need for as many replaceable spikes.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

On 5/4/2021 at 3:04 AM, putterboy75 said:

I'm curious, what did you think of the FootJoy Classics Tour that were released around year 2009 - 2012? They had a rubber sole of some sort and the upper looked similar to the "Classic" Classics.... I had a pair and they were fine for walking in terms of weight, but they just did not hold up at all. I treat my shoes with love and after about 2 years of using on an off (maybe 2x a week max) and only a few rain storms, the sole was showing some wear. Funny side story - I was lucky enough to be invited to play at one of those E. Hampton clubs that is a "drop whatever you're doing and get there" type of place. We played the 1st 6 holes or so in the sun, but the rest in what must have been 40 - 60 mph winds and consistent rain as intense as I've ever played in. Everyone else left the course but my playing partner and I knew we weren't likely to be so lucky to play here again so we pushed on to finish. I decided to actually throw away all of my clothes, including these Classics Tour shoes, after the round. I was pouring water out of them! I'll always remember that round for that and the amazing shower with illegal 1920s water pressure after the round.

To me the Classic Tour was more of a Dryjoy model than a true Classic.  I think they only lasted a year or two so they evidently didn't sell well.  

On 5/17/2021 at 9:55 PM, palmer70 said:

Great post.  Yes, I’m a big fan myself.  Just seeing the pictures of the older players look so much more stylish than the players of today.  Have 50+ pairs as it’s a hobby of mine.  Here’s just a couple of pairs.  

EC83BE75-5FD8-4672-AF63-404B4386AB79.jpeg

437A77B0-8FAC-438F-8BE1-86AC78A6E430.jpeg

E33217B1-7C73-49B9-8968-14499347BC4E.jpeg

195CB031-5F6B-4705-9184-9B91EC8E043A.jpeg

I thought I had a lot of shoes until I saw this.  More impressive is having shoe trees in most every pair.  I have 16 pair total of Classics (4), Icon Black (6) and Dryjoy Tour (6) but only rotate three trees between the last shoes worn.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have loved reading through this thread! I was a little late to the party, the three pairs of Classics that I had here Dry Premiere’s. Nothing has ever come close to matching them for me. I have four pairs of MyJoy Icons at the moment which are great and have the right aesthetic but deep down , I know that they are just not Classics. The Icon Black was a great shoe but FootJoy really did nothing to promote them. Unbelievably comfortable! 

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have a recommendation for where to look to buy either very gently used or new FJ Classics, other than on eBay?

My guess is there are a lot of mint pairs just sitting in closets (hopefully with shoe trees of course!)

I'd be interested in any of the 1857 too which seem to have been discontinued now?

7 hours ago, putterboy75 said:

Does anyone have a recommendation for where to look to buy either very gently used or new FJ Classics, other than on eBay?

My guess is there are a lot of mint pairs just sitting in closets (hopefully with shoe trees of course!)

I'd be interested in any of the 1857 too which seem to have been discontinued now?

Ebay.

When shopping for FJ Classic's beware that only the all leather sole is likely to hold up well now, decades after final production. Specifically, the models having a leather sole w/rubber patches at the heel and sole , will have deterioration of the thin rubber patches due to age. I believe these models were named "Classic's Dry" . Also, the all rubber outsole Classic's Tour models , within a few years after production , have the hard rubber bottom separate-delaminate a bit around the edges.

The Classics models all used quality leather uppers and linings and Goodyear welt construction, but the versions with rubber patches at the bottom of the sole (Classics Premier) or the all rubber sole versions (Classics Tour) degraded due to ageing. LaRosa Shoe Repair has the parts to replace the rubber, but that shop is charging $300 plus to resole with rubber or leather.

The Goodyear Welt construction, as well as metal shank within the midsole, made the FJ Classic sturdy, supportive golf footwear that could be worn for decades.  Truly these expensive initial cost  Made in USA shoes were a better value than buying imported cement construction disposable golf shoes. If one can buy a pair of the all leather sole versions I recommend it. Black Widow soft spikes will fit as replacement for metal spikes (same metal threaded post is used).

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

These photos reveal the splitting/cracking of rubber of a pair of FJ Classics Tour model shoes. The concept of an all rubber or partial rubber Classic's sole is fine, but the reality is that natural ageing deteriorates the rubber. In contrast, the Classic's all leather outsoles will not deteriorate due to age.

IMG_9839.JPG

IMG_9838.JPG

Edited by Fairway14
  • Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

On 4/25/2021 at 1:31 AM, putterboy75 said:

Agree, best forum on WRX...how can anyone not love the FJ Classics? I haven't seen the new 1857's but from pictures am guessing they're very similar.

My question is: what to do if you're suddenly caught in an unexpected monsoon and can't return to the clubhouse to change? From my experience with FJ Classics, they're not exactly the best to weather the elements. They require such love to maintain, do you just suck it up and hope for the best or call a ride in? 

Days that are 70 degrees and sunny with no humidity I like to call "Classics days" ... I would be willing to bet that no one else on the range other than the fine folks sharing their FJ's here is wearing anything nearly as dignified.

Since everyone else shared...

image.png.7a5622a07da0ea06e3ffdc4ec0953255.png

Classics 1.jpg

I have all three generations of the Classics.  They all have leather soles. The first generation (12 spike) were not waterproof.  The second generation (11 spike) were waterproof and marked Classics Dry inside the shoe. The third generation were the Classics Dry Premiere also 11 spike and easily identified by the leather sole with two rubber inserts in it.  It is also waterproof.  Treat them right and the will last a very long time.  

• 4 weeks later...

I just found this thread and it's instantly my favorite. Classics bring fond memories of my youth. I reluctabtly adapted to the new shoes over the years and have since reverted to the back to quality GY welt golf shoes. I have two pairs of classics and three pairs of allen edmonds which as also nice. 

IMG_20190511_172858.jpg

PXL_20210321_191607654~2.jpg

Edited by STPBMW
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm not familiar with Ecco sizing, but I would say they are a full size difference to todays FootJoy's. I would wear an 11 in FJ Classics and now wear 10W in FJ Icon or FJ Premiere. Despite being loyal to the  Classic's, the new Premiere's are phenomenal especially for walkers. They are not the same quality of the Classics, but they are a good shoe. 

• 1 month later...