On 4/11/2021 at 1:22 PM, MattM97 said:

I've never experience metal golf spikes but I have worn metal football cleats for practice and it always was like clop, clop, clop *slides on floor* clop, clop, clop. Repeat a few times. 

Baseball spikes were crunch, crunch, crunch on paved surfaces.

• Like 1
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hate today’s golf shoes, I LOVE Footjoy Classics.   Here are my “go to’s” for playing.  After each round they get cleaned and polished with Mink oil, uppers and soles. I find them to be ve

Man I miss that crunching sound

Found these last year at a Goodwill...perfection.   

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, smashdn said:

Baseball spikes were crunch, crunch, crunch on paved surfaces.

I was talking a school floor cause I had to walk down a long hallway to get from the dressing room to the field and it was bad after they waxed it. 

Lefty

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - Kingdom Putter - SIK Pro Tour Proto - and more. 

WITB Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Agree, best forum on WRX...how can anyone not love the FJ Classics? I haven't seen the new 1857's but from pictures am guessing they're very similar.

My question is: what to do if you're suddenly caught in an unexpected monsoon and can't return to the clubhouse to change? From my experience with FJ Classics, they're not exactly the best to weather the elements. They require such love to maintain, do you just suck it up and hope for the best or call a ride in? 

Days that are 70 degrees and sunny with no humidity I like to call "Classics days" ... I would be willing to bet that no one else on the range other than the fine folks sharing their FJ's here is wearing anything nearly as dignified.

Since everyone else shared...

image.png.7a5622a07da0ea06e3ffdc4ec0953255.png

Classics 1.jpg

• Like 3

@putterboy75 you only have one choice and thats to stick it out and then put lots of newspaper inside of the shoes after you get off the course. 

The new and already discontinued 1857's were really nice looking but just too expensive. I'm sure they were worth it, but $750 is just a bit high. I think if they would have been priced $300-$425 they would have done very well. 

1 hour ago, kt381 said:

@putterboy75 you only have one choice and thats to stick it out and then put lots of newspaper inside of the shoes after you get off the course. 

The new and already discontinued 1857's were really nice looking but just too expensive. I'm sure they were worth it, but $750 is just a bit high. I think if they would have been priced $300-$425 they would have done very well. 

Ugh, I thought that's what you would say re: what to do if caught in rain-storm. Best plan is to...avoid altogether.

I always wondered who was buying (if anyone) was buying those 1857's.... I feel like the kind of player that appreciates those is a traditional one and prefers walking, and I can't imagine they're close to light. I think they were so expensive because of the quality materials of course, but also that FJ was determined to have them made in the U.S.A.. I respect that. Will be interesting to see if any of these pop up on eBay (meaning at least a few were sold) I haven't seen any yet though.

It's very easy to still wear metal spikes on courses today. Put them on while on the 1st hole and take them off on the 18th. Also avoid walking on cart paths. No one will know.

The reason for banning metal spikes was not to preserve greens, it was to preserve clubhouse floors. This method achieves the goal.

• Like 1
On 4/29/2021 at 11:00 PM, Mr. Clean said:

Putterboy75 those white pebble grain wing tips are HOT FIRE 🔥 

Yes, suck it up with the rain, your choice of footwear far exceeds your playing partners👍🏻 Just allow your classics to dry naturally and then lather them up with mink oil, uppers and soles 👈🏼

TY for the thumbs up! I recently picked up a pair of the now discontinued FJ Icon Blacks in all white.. I think for walking, they're a great alternative to the FJ Classics because they're so much lighter. Thankfully, haven't had any rain encounters when wearing yet, but I like my chances in those more than the Classics. If I know its going to rain, I have 3 pairs of the old DryJoys Tours that are also now discontinued. I found a place in South Carolina that still has a lot of sizes and styles and ordered a few more assuming they're now gone forever. I don't feel "too" bad if I'm caught in a downpour wearing these because they're about 1/3rd of the price of the Classics!

I'm curious, what did you think of the FootJoy Classics Tour that were released around year 2009 - 2012? They had a rubber sole of some sort and the upper looked similar to the "Classic" Classics.... I had a pair and they were fine for walking in terms of weight, but they just did not hold up at all. I treat my shoes with love and after about 2 years of using on an off (maybe 2x a week max) and only a few rain storms, the sole was showing some wear. Funny side story - I was lucky enough to be invited to play at one of those E. Hampton clubs that is a "drop whatever you're doing and get there" type of place, and we played the 1st 6 holes or so in the sun, but the rest in what must have been 40 - 60 mph winds and consistent rain as intense as I've ever played in. Everyone else left the course but my playing partner and I knew we weren't likely to be so lucky to play here again so we pushed on to finish. I decided to actually throw away all of my clothes, and left ave these FJ Classics Tour shoes, after the round. I was pouring water out of them haha. I'll always remember that roun

On 4/29/2021 at 11:00 PM, Mr. Clean said:

Putterboy75 those white pebble grain wing tips are HOT FIRE 🔥 

Yes, suck it up with the rain, your choice of footwear far exceeds your playing partners👍🏻 Just allow your classics to dry naturally and then lather them up with mink oil, uppers and soles 👈🏼

TY for the thumbs up! I recently picked up a pair of the now discontinued FJ Icon Blacks in all white.. I think for walking, they're a great alternative to the FJ Classics because they're so much lighter. Thankfully, haven't had any rain encounters when wearing yet, but I like my chances in those more than the Classics. If I know its going to rain, I have 3 pairs of the old DryJoys Tours that are also now discontinued. I found a place in South Carolina that still has a lot of sizes and styles and ordered a few more assuming they're now gone forever. I don't feel "too" bad if I'm caught in a downpour wearing these because they're about 1/3rd of the price of the Classics!

I'm curious, what did you think of the FootJoy Classics Tour that were released around year 2009 - 2012? They had a rubber sole of some sort and the upper looked similar to the "Classic" Classics.... I had a pair and they were fine for walking in terms of weight, but they just did not hold up at all. I treat my shoes with love and after about 2 years of using on an off (maybe 2x a week max) and only a few rain storms, the sole was showing some wear. Funny side story - I was lucky enough to be invited to play at one of those E. Hampton clubs that is a "drop whatever you're doing and get there" type of place. We played the 1st 6 holes or so in the sun, but the rest in what must have been 40 - 60 mph winds and consistent rain as intense as I've ever played in. Everyone else left the course but my playing partner and I knew we weren't likely to be so lucky to play here again so we pushed on to finish. I decided to actually throw away all of my clothes, including these Classics Tour shoes, after the round. I was pouring water out of them! I'll always remember that round for that and the amazing shower with illegal 1920s water pressure after the round.

Also, guessing those who've commented on this thread probably know about this Vintage FJ Classics site (wouldn't be surprised if the site's author is here as well) but for those who haven't had a chance to take a look, this site dedicated to the "#1 shoe in golf" is pretty great:

https://vcleat.com/vintage-footjoy-classics-golf-shoes/

Personally, I wasn't a huge fan of the Classic's Tour with the rubber sole. The rubber sole just didn't do it for me, but respect them for trying to find an innovative way to keep the Classic's alive. I did really like the Classics Dry Premiere which was still a leather sole but had some rubber in it to help break in a bit quicker. 

I also second that the Icon Blacks were a really great shoe. Have a couple pairs of those and they were great walking shoes, no complaints at all. There was some cork in the footbed and it was remarkably stable but yet comfortable and still classic looking.

I will also add that their latest Premiere Series is intriguing. Went to order a pair of the Tarlow's through my golf shop but they were back ordered through FJ, so I'll have to try another route. 

On 4/13/2021 at 6:57 PM, RobotDoctor said:

I have 4 three pairs of FJ Classics.  This is one of the pairs I have.  The picture was when they were new (bought in new condition about 3 or 4 years ago).  They've been worn about 20 rounds now and are broken in.  They're fabulous!!!

FJ Classic Saddle Ostrich.jpg

I played my last two AJGA tournaments in 1998 wearing those exact White/ Brown Ostrich with the brass medallion...... Ah the memories!!

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9* ♦️♦️♦️ w/ Accra Tour Z 65 ST Proto M5
3 wood : Callaway XR Pro 14* w/ Accra Tour Z LS 85 M5
Hybrid : Adams Red 20* w/ Ozik Black Tie 105 X 
4-PW : Mizuno MP-18 w/ KBS $Taper S+ +1/2
GW: Mizuno MP-T7 51/08 w/ KBS $Taper S+ +1/2
SW: Mizuno MP-T7 55/11 w/ KBS 610 130 +1/2
LW: Mizuno MP-T7 59/09 w/ KBS 610 130 +1/2
Putter : Rife Mr. Beasley First Run Silver 34" w/ Super Stroke 1.0
Ball: Bridgestone Tour X 

On 5/6/2021 at 4:03 PM, pccasstpro said:

I played my last two AJGA tournaments in 1998 wearing those exact White/ Brown Ostrich with the brass medallion...... Ah the memories!!

These are sick... I always wanted a pair of the ostrich saddle's but sadly never came my way (yet, I suppose they're still out there somewhere!)

Also, maybe someone has mentioned it earlier in the thread, but what happened to the days of 11 spikes / shoe? Does FJ think today's modern buyer only wants to bother with 9 now or are we getting the same traction from the 9 as we used to with 11 because they're "strategically placed?" Ok, so maybe it was a little more expensive to replace all 22 spikes for the Classics, but did anyone notice? I think we'd all agree what makes the best players stand above is the little things, one slip here and another there adds up, how can FJ justify reducing spikes / shoe?

Some lower end FJ shoes now have even less than 9 / shoe. The new Traditions (which I'm told are flying off the shelves) only have 7 / shoe. This is my rant, but this trend demonstrates the general degradation of quality offered to the golfing public in all areas of merchandise. It's frustrating and sad!

On 5/7/2021 at 7:42 PM, putterboy75 said:

These are sick... I always wanted a pair of the ostrich saddle's but sadly never came my way (yet, I suppose they're still out there somewhere!)

Also, maybe someone has mentioned it earlier in the thread, but what happened to the days of 11 spikes / shoe? Does FJ think today's modern buyer only wants to bother with 9 now or are we getting the same traction from the 9 as we used to with 11 because they're "strategically placed?" Ok, so maybe it was a little more expensive to replace all 22 spikes for the Classics, but did anyone notice? I think we'd all agree what makes the best players stand above is the little things, one slip here and another there adds up, how can FJ justify reducing spikes / shoe?

Some lower end FJ shoes now have even less than 9 / shoe. The new Traditions (which I'm told are flying off the shelves) only have 7 / shoe. This is my rant, but this trend demonstrates the general degradation of quality offered to the golfing public in all areas of merchandise. It's frustrating and sad!

You need to remember that the spikes was all they had for traction back in the day. The sole was just a slick leather like a dress shoe.

Todays shoes you have much better traction technology built into the sole reducing the need for as many replaceable spikes.

WITB
Titleist TSi3 9* PX Riptide CB 60s

Titleist TS3 strong 3 wood 13.5* PX Hzrdus. Smoke 75s

Titleist 818H2 19* hybrid Tensei Blue

Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125s

Taylormade MG2 50* 54* 58* DG S300

Scotty Cameron Newport Special Select 34” with flow neck by LaMont