Could a 4 cap beat Lydia Ko?

It COULD happen, I mean Danny Willett won the Masters after all, but the odds say it won't.

• Haha 1

JBeam Bullet 10*                           Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 15* 3WD.             Fujikura Ventus Red 8X

Exotics CBX119 18* 5WD              Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5
MIURA CB57 4-7                            MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA MB-001 8-P                       MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto 52, 57, 61           MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 Prototype 1.5 Beach 34/350 (A010656)

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m a 3, have played that course a handful of times ... going with a “what is not today” Alex   sorry about the title, couldn’t resist  

Well, I Played with/against Michelle down in Fla and up in the Burgh in 2012/2013, and while I wasn't in my "prime," as my best run was 1991-1999, when I floated tween +3.2 & +3.8 with back to bac

What if the player's name was Ditka?

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, nitram said:

It COULD happen, I mean Danny Willett won the Masters after all, but the odds say it won't.

Danny Willett was 12th in the owgr the week BEFORE he won the Masters. Not exactly a fluke.

http://www.owgr.com/en/Ranking/PlayerProfile.aspx?playerID=12920&year=2016

• Like 1

WITB
Titleist TSi3 9* PX Riptide CB 60s

Titleist TS3 strong 3 wood 13.5* PX Hzrdus. Smoke 75s

Titleist 818H2 19* hybrid Tensei Blue

Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125s

Taylormade MG2 50* 54* 58* DG S300

Scotty Cameron Newport Special Select 34” with flow neck by LaMont

1 hour ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Interesting website I stumbled upon that might interest you and others: http://www.ongolfhandicaps.com/.

Probably well known around here, but I had not encountered it.

Interesting, thank you for that.  But he is incorrect, I believe, in the part about handicap allowances in stroke play.

He quotes:

The Committee could argue the tournament has more than 30 players and thus the 95% allowance is justified. That would be specious reasoning. The 95% allowance has no effect on its intended purpose of benefitting the low-handicap player.   No one in the first flight (handicaps of 10 and under) will get a reduced handicap.

That would have been true under the old handicap allowance system where you rounded more than once. But now, when we apply the 95% to the index and then calculate the PH we can for example take a 3 down to a 2 for the event. 

WITB

27 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

Danny Willett was 12th in the owgr the week BEFORE he won the Masters. Not exactly a fluke.

http://www.owgr.com/en/Ranking/PlayerProfile.aspx?playerID=12920&year=2016

But what has he done since?

2 minutes ago, nitram said:

But what has he done since?

He’s bounced around between 30 and 80 or so in the rankings. 

Which does not change the original statement I replied  to.  His win was not a fluke at the time.  A decline after a win does not mean the win was a fluke does it?  Or was Spieth’s early career success a fluke as well?  He fell almost as far as Willett.

• Like 1

WITB

What I'm trying to say is he's one and done on the PGA Tour and proves every dog has their day. He was playing well entering the Masters but you know as well as I do that doesn't mean anything as far as winning. There are countless times a person enters the tournament as a favorite or high in the rankings and doesn't finish the deal.  So yeah I consider it a fluke. While Spieth may have fallen further than Willett, it's comparing apples to oranges as Spieth has won several tournaments and additional majors.

1 minute ago, nitram said:

What I'm trying to say is he's one and done on the PGA Tour and proves every dog has their day. He was playing well entering the Masters but you know as well as I do that doesn't mean anything as far as winning. There are countless times a person enters the tournament as a favorite or high in the rankings and doesn't finish the deal.  So yeah I consider it a fluke. While Spieth may have fallen further than Willett, it's comparing apples to oranges as Spieth has won several tournaments and additional majors.

And Willett has one more win since his last major than Spieth.  Willett was a high ranking player and closed the deal in 2016 when Spieth blew a gasket. 

Differing opinions is all.  To me if it was certainly not a fluke at the time it doesn’t change later. For whatever reason neither of those was able to sustain their performance though Spieth certainly appears to be trending back to prior form.

WITB

3 hours ago, isaacbm said:

This is my exact point. Slope changed the way handicap is calculated. It’s a good idea when trying to balance out a 2 handicap playing against a 12  handicap in the club matchplay. It isn’t a good way of comparing how good a tour pro is versus a scratch golfer though. 

edit: What I mean is that obviously adding the slope system is a better way to create a fair match between players of different handicaps.

I just think as a general rule trying  to assign a handicap to a tour pro is often irrelevant.  At that level what is most important is their ability to shoot 4  low scores in a row.  That’s what really separates them from club players with a low handicap. 
    It’s better to shoot 69 4times in a row (week after week) then it is to shoot 76,69,62,76The  guy who shoots the latter 4  scores will actually have a lower handicap even though he can’t make a cut. 

Of course that's true, although the guy capable of shooting the 62 on Tour will make cuts, for sure. It's just that he will miss far more cuts than the other guy.

It would be nice if GHIN allowed more freedom to fiddle with one's scoring data. When comparing oneself to a pro, the only way you can do that is to take your scoring AVERAGE  versus the course RATING and you would have a pretty good idea.

For instance:

Player 1, a "club player":

+1.0, traveling tournament index. Scoring average, all rounds, 73.6. Average course rating of courses played, 72.0. You could say he has a "all scores index" of 1.6

Same golfer, has a tournament scoring average of 74.9 and an average course rating of 73.8. He has a "all scores tournament index" of 1.1

It would be nice if all of those data points were available right on GHIN without having to manipulate the data oneself.

• Like 2

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist TS2 15* 3-wood - Tensei Blue - 65 - S; Titleist 918 5-wood 19*. Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist 818 H1 21* Atmos Tour Spec Blue - S
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s-400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

1 hour ago, Shilgy said:

Interesting, thank you for that.  But he is incorrect, I believe, in the part about handicap allowances in stroke play.

He quotes:

The Committee could argue the tournament has more than 30 players and thus the 95% allowance is justified. That would be specious reasoning. The 95% allowance has no effect on its intended purpose of benefitting the low-handicap player.   No one in the first flight (handicaps of 10 and under) will get a reduced handicap.

That would have been true under the old handicap allowance system where you rounded more than once. But now, when we apply the 95% to the index and then calculate the PH we can for example take a 3 down to a 2 for the event. 

I haven't read all the articles yet.  Seems pretty prolific generating lots of info.

On 4/27/2021 at 8:03 AM, Forged4ever said:

Back in the Day???

How bout TODAY????

Strongly felt??

Tell em to feel this🥴.......

CHIII???

Not to be offensive, however F*CK CHIII😉!!

Ok, now that I'm loosened up, how bout a guy who was a card carryin Member of the Big Boy Tour for eight years before he tore his shoulder up and it basically ended his career within 4-5 years, as he spent his last four years on the Buy.com Tour, garnering 4 Top-10's and a runner-up in 2000, basically Playin wack a mole due to his trashed shoulder???

Nate, meet Patrick Burke, WRX User Name: @rangersgoalie

I love these threads😂😂🤙

You guys are the friggin Best(not you Nate🤙😊👊 🤗😘

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends⛳
RP

Burkey, a little guy if i remember, Won a couple down under. Decent game. Sad about the shoulder.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, NoFancyUsername. said:

Burkey, a little guy if i remember, Won a couple down under. Decent game. Sad about the shoulder.

Yeppers, that's him, his heart♥️  has always been bigger than he was and kept him on Tour for almost a decade, waaaaay past the sell dates of all of those supposed "god like" swings of Players that were labeled as "can't miss."  This swing shot is from the 1992 Walt Disney World Golf Classic, with his college team photo, where he was an AA at Cal State and a more recent shot included. I love the cap🧢 he had on at the Disney cuz it reminds me of the Amana hats that we used to wear back in the day that had the height of friggin train conductors' hats😂😂. They sat so high on your head regardless of how low down ya pulled em, you still had to either tilt your head down or hold em by those huge brims out front when the wind kicked up, and we looked like these rap thugs😂😂

Oh, and if ya notice, @rangersgoalie was sportin the 7-day lonnnnnnng before all the Tour sheep🐑🐑 starting wearin 'em. 

Have a Great Season Brotha👊
RP

EF31237F-B9A9-4E97-932A-2A74A7458E67.jpeg

CFA215CC-3C2F-4FC4-BF29-4308E3504C5C.jpeg

32A37CFE-093A-4058-B898-D820D48D24AF.jpeg

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 2

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2021 at 1:21 PM, Shilgy said:

He’s bounced around between 30 and 80 or so in the rankings. 

Which does not change the original statement I replied  to.  His win was not a fluke at the time.  A decline after a win does not mean the win was a fluke does it?  Or was Spieth’s early career success a fluke as well?  He fell almost as far as Willett.

No he didn't. Not even close. In 2018 Willett was ranked as low as 462nd in the world. He fell much further than YJS ever did. Furthest YJS was in the OWGR during his slump was 92nd in the world after M/C at the Farmers this year. Year end rankings in the OWGR don't tell the entire story of where a player was at during a given season.

http://www.owgr.com/en/Ranking/PlayerProfile.aspx?playerID=12920&year=2018

Edited by grm24
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, grm24 said:

No he didn't. Not even close. In 2018 Willett was ranked as low as 462nd in the world. He fell much further than YJS ever did. Furthest YJS was in the OWGR during his slump was 92nd in the world after M/C at the Farmers this year. Year end rankings in the OWGR don't tell the entire story of where a player was at during a given season.

http://www.owgr.com/en/Ranking/PlayerProfile.aspx?playerID=12920&year=2018

You are correct. I looked at the year summaries and figured, incorrectly, he had fallen to 120th or so.

It is amazing how quickly he plummeted in the rankings.

I will stand by my statement that anyone in the top 15 at the time winning a major is not a fluke.

That said, Thank you for the correction.

Edited by Shilgy
  • Like 4

WITB

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

I will stand by my statement that anyone in the top 15 at the time winning a major is not a fluke.

No kidding. Willett winning the Masters was hard and well earned. Bogey free 67 in the final round of The Masters. How often does that happen? It's rare. Even with the players at the rear of the field that are supposed to have no pressure on them. Willett was only 3 shots out of the lead entering the final round. Still so many alleged rational golf fans that to this day will not give him his due. 

Edited by grm24
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, grm24 said:

No kidding. Willett winning the Masters was hard and well earned. Bogey free 67 in the final round of The Masters. How often does that happen? It's rare. Even with the players at the rear of the field that are supposed to have no pressure on them. Willett was only 3 shots out of the lead entering the final round. Still so many alleged rational golf fans that to this day will not give him his due. 

I think they hold it against him that he looks like reik from GOT

Not touched on, but Lydia is a PROFESSIONAL.  She gets up, does her morning routine, then spends the day working on her craft.  An on-their-game D1 player might hang, maybe a young ex-college player, but anyone over, say, 30, has responsibilities beyond daily hours spent working on their sand game.  That professionalism over four days will wear your a** out.

Those Amana caps were the ugliest, but all caps from that era made me look like a tall, skinny mushroom.

• Like 1