The Masters 2021 ***All Content Subject to Moderation***

MattyO1984

Didn't see any of the telecast today so I'm not sure if it was mentioned (if it was I apologize) but if Hideki wins tomorrow if will be HIS first win since the WGC Firestone in 2017. 3.5 years and 93 events. Longer in terms of events than Jordan over nearly the same time frame. Possibly two crazy long winless streaks coming to an end in consecutive weeks from 2 of the best young players in the game. Hideki's lows over this time were nowhere near as bad as Jordan as his world ranking has stayed in the 20's. Hope he wins it. Just for the sheer volume of people here that will try to discredit him for whatever reason. Next up to break a long winless streak of official events since 2017 by better well known players is Henrik Stenson. HIs win of Tigers Hero event is not an official win. Henrik has struggled mightily since then start of 2020. 21 events and 12 missed cuts.

Edited by grm24
  • Like 2

soloman1 cmon lighten up you're being disingenuous.. give a very slight effort to speak any language and people are extremely grateful and accommodating.. I've got plenty of experience in corporate america japan w this fyi..

iirc from what I heard rahm learned the language in like 18 mths and I can barely detect an accent from the rahminator!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tgws said:

soloman1 cmon lighten up you're being disingenuous.. give a very slight effort to speak any language and people are extremely grateful and accommodating.. I've got plenty of experience in corporate america japan w this fyi..

iirc from what I heard rahm learned the language in like 18 mths and I can barely detect an accent from the rahminator!

1. I wouldn’t want to embarrass myself 

2. I think most would appreciate the effort 

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Going to an American university is a great way to learn English. When we first got to Japan we met a Japanese alum from my wife's university to get the lay of the land and advice on living in our new 'home.' Her English was fantastic.

I asked her what it was like to go to an American school. She said her English was almost nonexistent as a freshman so her strategy was to take all science and math classes first.

By the time she had to take history, literature, etc., her English was much better. She graduated with very good grades from a very competitive (not to be named) university.

Never underestimate the intelligence of the Japanese : )

18 minutes ago, tgws said:

What is "corporate america japan?"

Rahm went to ASU as a kid.

Lighten up? Disingenuous? Yeah, right.

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

31 minutes ago, grm24 said:

Didn't see any of the telecast today so I'm not sure if it was mentioned (if it was I apologize) but if Hideki wins tomorrow if will be HIS first win since the WGC Firestone in 2017. 3.5 years and 93 events. Longer in terms of events than Jordan over nearly the same time frame. Two crazy long winless streaks coming to an end in consecutive weeks from 2 of the best young players in the game. Hideki's lows over this time were nowhere near as bad as Jordan as his world ranking has stayed in the 20's. Hope he wins it. Just for the sheer volume of people here that will try to discredit him for whatever reason. Next up to break a long winless streak of official events since 2017 by better well known players is Henrik Stenson. HIs win of Tigers Hero event is not an official win. Henrik has struggled mightily since then start of 2020. 21 events and 12 missed cuts.

Henrik almost never plays well at the Masters, so I’ve been following him shot by shot - hoping he has a strong finish and maybe he’s found something this week. 

27 minutes ago, tgws said:

Rahm’s experience is irrelevant. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Go Cougs said:

これらのゴルフWRXの人はダミーです

Google translation: These golf WRX guys are dummies
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

TaylorMade Stealth 2 12° - Ventus Velo Blue 5R2

PING G425 Max 5-Wood (@16.5°) / 7-Wood (@19.5°) - Ventus Velo Red 5R2

Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 21° / 24° - AD HY 65R

Mizuno MP245 6-GW - AD 75R SSx1

TaylorMade MG4 52.08 - AD 75S (8i) / 56.12TW - AD 75S (9i)

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 WH

Titleist ProV1x

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Henrik almost never plays well at the Masters, so I’ve been following him shot by shot - hoping he has a strong finish and maybe he’s found something this week. 

His Masters record is really puzzling. Maybe he has relaxed a bit this week since he went back to his old trusty Diablo Octane Tour 3 wood last week in Texas. Sometimes a simple change can give you a spark.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mustard_Tiger said:

If you been diagnosed with restless spleen syndrome, Zalatoris might be right for you. Talk to your doctor about Zalatoris. If you can't afford Zalatoris, AstraZeneca might be able to help with free medications.

Since Astra Zeneca can’t get a Covid Vaccine on the market, this will have to do. 

1 hour ago, Soloman1 said:

I lived in Japan for 27+ years. I knew Americans, Brits and Aussies who couldn't get on a bus in Japan after 20 years of living there. So, let's not get too judgmental.

Japanese are taught to read English, but there's no real chance to speak. The problem for Japanese is that English is full of idioms. US idioms can be bizarre and confusing.

"You really knocked out of the park today Hideki..." (which is also rude in Japanese culture. You never call someone by their first name unless you are friends or family)

In Matsuyama's case, if he makes one small grammatical or pronunciation error in English, he'll be hounded and mocked relentlessly by yahoos online. Sarcasm is not part of Japanese culture at all. It's considered rude. Japanese do NOT do sarcasm. It was unrecoverable for him. 

So, it's less risk to have his native English translator (I think it's the same American guy) there to answer than to risk a slip of the tongue.

He's a nice guy. I've met him. Give him a break. Or maybe let's see how good your Japanese is?

Americans, Aussies, and Brits that can’t get on a bus after living in Japan for 20 years??

One small grammatical error or pronunciation error and Matsuyama would be hounded and mocked relentlessly online??

jeez. Exaggerate much?

Athlete, non-native English speakers make errors all of the time and never get mocked. There would actually be a large backlash against mocking them. 

also, who said anything about sarcasm? 

your post is a gross exaggeration and painting with a really broad brush.

One could argue that Matsuyama simply doesn’t want to learn to speak English.

He’s had ample time to learn it. He doesn’t want to. Fine. 

Edited by straightshot7
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

One last thing then I'm done.

Matsuyama-san is not speaking to the English-speaking audience.

Japanese <-> English translation requires correct colloquial speech, not literal translation. His translator does a great job of doing that. Matsuyama-san understands what's being asked. He is smart enough to know that he's speaking to the Japanese audience who will be watching.

His Japanese and mannerisms are very "Japanese." I don't know how else to describe it. Japanese find his content and speech pleasing. That would not be the same if he spoke English.

You'd have to have lived there and understood the culture to understand it.

I thought you were saying he would potentially receive backlash from English speaking people.

if you’re saying that the sole purpose is to please the Japanese then I probably wouldn’t disagree with you. 

16 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

Exaggeration? No. You don't know what you're talking about.

There is an amazing amount of subtlety in all of Japanese culture.

I'm sure that I was like a bull in a china shop even though I did all that I could to respect the culture.

Fortunately, the Japanese were too polite to take offense : )

4 minutes ago, naval2006 said:

I left for a couple of hours and in good old WRX fashion the thread shifted from golf to Japanese language to language and culture. Keep up the spirit of the forum guys. 

I don't know...there is only so much to talk about if you stick solely to golf...maybe you will learn something new : )

I love watching this afternoon. I think this thing is wide open. Hideki played amazing after the break and landed a lot of balls near the pin, but in the regular conditions he was only 4 under,  after the delay when the greens were much slower and you could land the ball near the pin he excelled but that does not guarantee he can do that again tomorrow.  Although getting Xander in the last group helps a lot, Xander is not intimidating anyone.  Should be a great sunday finish.

Why do people care or want him to speak English. If he was living here maybe he would want to learn but I don’t think he is. Plus it’s not like he needs to speak English to get around. With his status and money I doubt he gets in the US just fine. Like I said above, hope he pulls it off tomorrow. 

• Like 3

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH