The Masters 2021 ***All Content Subject to Moderation***

MattyO1984

54 minutes ago, grm24 said:

I'd bet that Hideki speaks English better and more proper than pretty much anyone criticizing him here and elsewhere.

I see what you did there... adverbs are just soooo difficult 😉

• Like 1

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

Really, dudes? 

Would it be better if it were "Morikawa?"

Can we be better than this thread that was derailed early on about Lee Elder? (And I'm risking a warning or whatever for saying this - which further proves my point). 

Mastuyama tore up the back 9. Talk about his play (and he tore up the back 9) and not this nonsense. 

It's almost perfect he WOULD go on to win. It's what Lee represented by him being there. 

• Like 4

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

Living in Japan, you see so much Matsuyama. Obviously there is a sort of barrier with him, but it's not really all culture. My wife says that people kind of think he's weird - or like socially awkward. He's enigmatic even in Japan. 

2016, 2017 he was ripping it up and really on the cusp of breaking through ( he won some big ones by big margins and Justin Thomas was the only person that beat him in 4 or 5 events), but he hurt his wrist defending in Pheonix, was out a couple months, and it set him back - he lost confidence that he could run with the big dogs. Wrists are funny things - having since broken my arm, I can see how it would mess with you....

I think he's got his mojo back. Who knows, maybe seeing JS win last week has woken him up? 

His short game was excellent, pitching most to tap ins and making the ones you need to make from inside 10 feet. Even with a three putt par... He got more out of his game today than he has in a long, long time. 

Hope it's his time. 

• Like 2

Hideki has that superior Japanese-spec clubs going his way for sure!!  I found G WRX out of my equipment addiction back in 2010, and it's pretty cool to see his mostly Srixon gear flushing it in this tournament.

WITB Hideki

Love those GD shafts!

• Like 1

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

Incredibly impressive performance from Hideki last night. Four shot lead heading into the final round is some way to golf your ball.

10 years on from Rory heading into the final round with the same lead and with how exciting that final round became, is it bad that I have some hope for something similar today?

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

6 hours ago, sbjinx said:

Why do people care or want him to speak English. If he was living here maybe he would want to learn but I don’t think he is. Plus it’s not like he needs to speak English to get around. With his status and money I doubt he gets in the US just fine. Like I said above, hope he pulls it off tomorrow. 

He splits time between Japan and Orlando, Florida where he’s based out of Golden Bear Club at Keane’s Point.

7 hours ago, m d g said:

Going to an American university is a great way to learn English.

Unless the American university is in America, where 'graduates' nearly illiterate in English, their mother tongue, are churned out on a regular basis. 🤨

It was obvious from the interviews that HM understood most/all of what the questioner was saying but, as the poster above notes, without a mastery of speaking English he relied on the interpreter.

And how did the interpreter get so fluent?

Learning Japanese has always been a goal of mine but daydream might be more accurate.  Still, with various innovative electronic and learning methods it might be possible.  As with anything else, time and applying oneself are necessary.

Back to the golf, HM is a problem for the field because he's so steady and now he has a substantial lead given the difficult scoring conditions to date.

The iron play is sublime, the driver need only be steady, not spectacular.  The only risk, a very real one, is missing putts.  But he will be conservative on the greens and gladly take par.

CBS & Nantz were dealing Freudian slips like playing cards at the end of Saturday's round with all the negations and veiled challenges.

-'No Japanese player blah blah blah' 

-'You are/you'll be the first Japanese blah blah blah'

Do they think he's not already aware of all of that?  Why is that more important than the golf and/or the tournament? 

I wonder if they might dare use an interpreter for HM's on-course chatter with his caddie on Sunday.  I wouldn't put it past them.

CBS & Nantz love the green jacket drama despite its frequent stilted, awkward moments.  They probably did cartwheels after getting dial-tone DJ to cry last year.

A ceremony relying on an interpreter would hinder their little soap opera and, culturally and personality-wise, HM isn't going to gush or tear up in any language.

Granted, there is precedent with Angel Cabrera (who apparently now has a peck of trouble beyond missed putts or slick greens) and the Masters provides drama by default but still.....

• Like 1

Going to be a great day

Would love to see the following

A battle with Hideki, Zalatoris and Conners.  Mickelson shooting 62

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Different topic but why the lack of enthusiasm for Schauffele? He has a wonderful game and goes about his business professionally, with zero fuss. He also seems very humble and likable. 

I get that he's quiet and is not an "in-your-face" type like Dechambeau, but I'm surprised at the number of negative comments about him. If Hideki or Rose don't get it done today, I'd be quite happy to see Schauffele win. 

Edited by MMB1500
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, GreenCoat said:

It's over, DeCrampbeau posts a Master's record final round score and wins by one.

That’s going to be a long wait. I think he will post that before 11am.  

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

6 hours ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

Living in Japan, you see so much Matsuyama. Obviously there is a sort of barrier with him, but it's not really all culture. My wife says that people kind of think he's weird - or like socially awkward. He's enigmatic even in Japan. 

2016, 2017 he was ripping it up and really on the cusp of breaking through ( he won some big ones by big margins and Justin Thomas was the only person that beat him in 4 or 5 events), but he hurt his wrist defending in Pheonix, was out a couple months, and it set him back - he lost confidence that he could run with the big dogs. Wrists are funny things - having since broken my arm, I can see how it would mess with you....

I think he's got his mojo back. Who knows, maybe seeing JS win last week has woken him up? 

His short game was excellent, pitching most to tap ins and making the ones you need to make from inside 10 feet. Even with a three putt par... He got more out of his game today than he has in a long, long time. 

Hope it's his time. 

Great take.  

I wonder this.  Question not statement.  Should we worry about him if he doesn’t get this done ?  As in will he be ridiculed or outcast as a failure ?   Or does the Japanese culture allow for multiple attempts? 

I think it sounds bad me asking that.  I don’t mean it that way.  

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

25 minutes ago, MMB1500 said:

Different topic but why the lack of enthusiasm for Schauffele? He has a wonderful game and goes about his business professionally, with zero fuss. He also seems very humble and likable. 

I get that he's quiet and is not an "in-your-face" type like Dechambeau, but I'm surprised at the number of negative comments about him. If Hideki or Rose don't get it done today, I'd be quite happy to see Schauffele win. 

I love Xander and he definitely deserves his major. He’s the classic “I talk with my clubs” kind of guy, which is no longer interesting for the media, and even less for social networks. His career so far can be compared to Rickies but Xander is really low keyed. 

• Like 1