The Masters 2021 ***All Content Subject to Moderation***

MattyO1984

7 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

Here's just a couple other comments about Japan and golf and culture stuff. I trust the others here in Japan or who have spent time will validate this.

1. Matsuyama's caddie retrieved the flag on the 18th hole. I hope some of you saw it? He turned toward the 18th fairway, actually the entire course, took off his hat and bowed in respect for the course. That tells you a lot about Japan.

2. Matsuyama was/is a man of few words, because that is what defines masculinity in Japan. Men are allowed to be men and being stoic is a virtue. You're not going to find Japanese men talking about how they "feel about our relationship" kind of stuff. As a matter of fact, men who talk a lot are considered to be untrustworthy, like conmen or (and?) politicians.

If a man tells a woman something to effect that he might like her, that is practically a marriage proposal.

I used to have a regular money game every week with a pro in Japan. One day I went birdie, birdie, birdie, hole-in-one. He never said a word. The stoic samurai stuff is still alive in Japan.

Game shows aren’t as stoic

🤣

45 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

Here's just a couple other comments about Japan and golf and culture stuff. I trust the others here in Japan or who have spent time will validate this.

1. Matsuyama's caddie retrieved the flag on the 18th hole. I hope some of you saw it? He turned toward the 18th fairway, actually the entire course, took off his hat and bowed in respect for the course. That tells you a lot about Japan.

2. Matsuyama was/is a man of few words, because that is what defines masculinity in Japan. Men are allowed to be men and being stoic is a virtue. You're not going to find Japanese men talking about how they "feel about our relationship" kind of stuff. As a matter of fact, men who talk a lot are considered to be untrustworthy, like conmen or (and?) politicians.

If a man tells a woman something to effect that he might like her, that is practically a marriage proposal.

I used to have a regular money game every week with a pro in Japan. One day I went birdie, birdie, birdie, hole-in-one. He never said a word. The stoic samurai stuff is still alive in Japan.

“+1” w.r.t. the Japanese stoic  culture

(albeit there isn’t “one culture”... as @bscinstnct’s post w.r.t. Japanese game shows clearly illustrates the point!)

. You might like this Japanese animated graphics stylised bio of Hideki Matsuyama. TIL Hideki was born in the town of Matsuyama! 🗾🇯🇵🏞

Synopsis: “Born on the Japanese island of Shikoku, in the tiny town of Matsuyama, Ehime, Japan. Hideki Matsuyama was first introduced to the game of golf by his father, Mikio, at the tender age of four and would go on to become the winningest golfer from Japan and a five-time winner on the PGA TOUR. See “The Incredible Story of Hideki Matsuyama” unfold before your eyes in this intricate, visually-appealing animated short feature.”

Edited by JungleJimbo

1 hour ago, Larry Swing said:

Good for Hideki and Japan, sincerest congratulations. But all in all, this was terrible. Hideki won with a 73 and no one in contention broke 70 - all that in pretty benign conditions.

Wasn’t benign.  I am a little over an hour away and I practiced half the afternoon and had to position dead into or dead down wind . Was 2 clubs down wind and 3 clubs difference into.  And that’s me flighting to get distance data , so I’m actively trying to simulate course conditions .  It was a brutal day wind wise.  

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

12 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

Love hearing stuff like this. Good post!

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple D w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 70TX @45.25

3W: Taylormade M2 15* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 80X.

5W: Taylormade M6 18* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 90 TX.

Irons: Miura Retro Tournament blades 3i, 4i, and 7i. Miura MB-001 5i, 6i, 8i-PW. 3i with MMT 125TX. 4i-PW are Oak doweled, DG X100 Tiger Stepped 1/4”

lofts: 3i: 20* 4i: 24* 5i: 28* 6i: 32* 7i: 36* 8i: 40* 9i: 44* PW: 48*

Wedges: Fourteen RM4 56* DG X7, Miura 59* At 61* DG X7

Putter: Taylormade Spider

Grips: Golf pride MCC+4.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

15 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

Matsuyama's caddie retrieved the flag on the 18th hole. I hope some of you saw it? He turned toward the 18th fairway, actually the entire course, took off his hat and bowed in respect for the course. That tells you a lot about Japan.

I loved seeing this. Showed it to Ms. aenemated who doesn't even remotely care about golf (but is very sweet and kind enough to let me be me) and she was like "Wow, that's actually really, really cool." 

And not in her "Ok, honey" way 😂

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

Does anybody else think the "he's carrying the weight of Japan's expectations on his shoulders, imagine the pressure he is under" thing was overplayed? I thought if Hideki didn't win, he would be grabbed & thrown in a dungeon to be beaten with electric cables like Uday Hussein used to do with the Irag soccer team.

Congratulations to Hideki, he earned his first Masters with a gritty performance. I wish that could be enough without the additional drama.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Amps said:

Also, some amazing casual racism from the broadcaster... 'lets go live to the Japanese TV and see how crazy they are going in their funny language, if we all laugh at them together it's okay!' 

You might be projecting a bit 

• Like 1

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

1 hour ago, MPSgolfs said:

Shane lowry won the 2019 Open with srixon ball and clubs. 

Oh he did?? 

• Haha 1

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

7 minutes ago, jonsnow said:

Does anybody else think the "he's carrying the weight of Japan's expectations on his shoulders, imagine the pressure he is under" thing was overplayed? I thought if Hideki didn't win, he would be grabbed & thrown in a dungeon to be beaten with electric cables like Uday Hussein used to do with the Irag soccer team.

Congratulations to Hideki, he earned his first Masters with a gritty performance. I wish that could be enough without the additional drama.

Probably not. But US broadcasts always say this when an international player wins a US based Major. Remember Cabrera and Adam Scott. 

14 minutes ago, jonsnow said:

You must have not spent time there. It’s insane the media coverage and expectations. It’s an honor thing and meant to be positive but it’s a lot. But nobody gets killed lol

Edited by stingerfade
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, stingerfade said:

You must have not spent time there. It’s insane the media coverage and expectations. It’s an honor thing and meant to be positive but it’s a lot. But nobody gets killed lol

the japanese are just like everyone else, only more so ~ Dan Carlin (possibly quoting someone else)

• Like 1

Well earned victory with some gusty play and ability to  bounce back from mistakes.  Hopefully this helps grow the game worldwide somehow.   If it brings some joy to the people of Japan and some increased fame for Hideki all the better.

It was an odd Masters because it seemed like a bunch of people might have a chance today and really only about three people had any real chance.

Very classy an honest interview from Xander.  He seems like a very genuine person who hopefully gets his chance to hoist a big trophy some time soon.

Just now, xxio said:

I'm sure the weight and the impact when an American went over and won the Open was pretty big as well.

They gave Bobby Jones a ticker tape parade in NYC when he won the Open.

fact: jones was the first person to receive a 2nd tt parade in NYC ... 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jonsnow said:

In seriousness, the Japanese people are very proud people.  There is a sense of honor that is instilled in them pretty much from birth.  The Japanese people are also perfectionists.  Every waking moment they try to perfect what they are doing that day to bring honor to their family, their nation, then themselves.  Honor, integrity, ethics is the fiber of the Japanese people.

• Like 2

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

1 minute ago, ZAP said:

Well earned victory with some gusty play and ability to  bounce back from mistakes.  Hopefully this helps grow the game worldwide somehow.   If it brings some joy to the people of Japan and some increased fame for Hideki all the better.

It was an odd Masters because it seemed like a bunch of people might have a chance today and really only about three people had any real chance.

Very classy an honest interview from Xander.  He seems like a very genuine person who hopefully gets his chance to hoist a big trophy some time soon.

He did handle himself very well and as much as I hate to say it.

I don’t hate Xander anymore. 

Go back to just hating evil Zach Johnson. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, heddp said:

No I think that's real. Asian cultures are so much different than the USA culture. My wife who is caucasian is learning this everyday despite how long we've been together. So many expectations and if you don't meet them there's definitely a feeling of disgrace and the thought that you're a failure and that you've let your people down. It's not about best efforts or coming close. You either achieve or fail. That was how I felt with my upbringing.

Precisely

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

31 minutes ago, stingerfade said:

They do. It's usually an assistant who has to get everyone tea and translate faxes. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tiderider said:

sushi, seafood, hibachi american wagyu beef stuff, some asiany vegetables, green tea ice cream ... not a bad meal ... 

I feel like he’ll come up with something awesome. But what if he’s...vegetarian?!!

The dinner is for Master’s winners only...does his translator get to come? Is that the first time it would ever happen?

So may questions....

Also, completely off-topic...but DJ gets hosed doesn’t he? Only gets the jacket for 5 months. COVID just keeps screwing everything up. 

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3